Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Was that not the age across the country?

Yeah it could be different in Stranorlar I've no reason to believe so though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

sp00k wrote: »
    So are pubs that serve food allow to continue serving indoors, with so-called wet pubs outdoor only?

No
    All indoor dining is gone as is indoor pints
    Outdoor is allowed subject to a maximum of 15
    In other words pubs will be shut in the evening as will restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's from midnight tomorrow according to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Sorry, Heighway61.
    I replied to your post on my phone, after reading several articles by NPHET and various experts, all blatantly pointing the finger at young people in Donegal (some of whom are really irresponsible, in fairness) - and I didn't make it clear that it was the "experts" accusations that I was referring to, not your comments.

Message to self: Don't respond to someone on Boards when you're really annoyed with someone else, unless you're going to make it clear who you're annoyed with...
    Not a problem. Believe me, I share your frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    So Stranorlar is 336!

And to beat the lockdown they are having their communions tonight instead of at the weekend...So they are going into panic mode to get them squeezed in....yeah that'll help the figures. No doubt they will have extended families back at homes for parties afterwards.
    Cant speak for anyone else but Im just back from one of those "home parties" after our grandson made his first communion earlier in Stranorlar. There was a total of 8 family members in the house including the young fellow.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify a point ... and Im fairly sure Im right on this. When Stranorlar was mentioned in the news this evening and more so by Michael Martin it was Stranorlar Electoral Area that was referenced which is not to be confused with the town of Stranorlar.

That EA takes in places such as Lifford, St. Johnston, Raphoe, Convoy, Drumkeen, Glenfinn, Twin towns, Killygordon/Cross, Castlefinn etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

Technique wrote: »
    I know that Fahan's figures seemed high previously due to the nursing home rather than the general area. Is the same happening in Stranorlar?

Possibly but I think it's a more general outbreak. Strabane seems to be the epicentre in the Derry and Strabane District, so basically Strabane, Lifford and Stranorlar/Ballybofey appear to be experiencing an outbreak.

Derry won't be far behind. I was up with me ma a few weeks back and most shops I drove past you would swear there was no pandemic. Granted there were a few who appeared to be enforcing masks and distancing but I would be concerned about an outbreak in Derry going by the behaviours I saw out and about. This would have an inevitable effect in Inishowen given how interconnected they are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

circadian wrote: »
    Possibly but I think it's a more general outbreak. Strabane seems to be the epicentre in the Derry and Strabane District, so basically Strabane, Lifford and Stranorlar/Ballybofey appear to be experiencing an outbreak.

There's talk that there's going to be some sort of measures taken in the North to stop people travelling in from Derry/Tyrone. I think they're trying to avoid pointing the finger but it does seem that the outbreak here is connected to the outbreaks there, understandably so, but the numbers there seem to be worrying. I think Strabane was specifically mentioned on the news tonight.
    The numbers for the whole of Northern Ireland have as high as the Republic for the last few weeks, and they have a much smaller population. Again, not pointing fingers, it could be us spreading it to them, but either way there needs to be way more of a combined approach from Dublin and Belfast

It'll be a hard sell to stop the movement of people going between Derry/Tyrone and East Donegal. It's completely pourus and there's plenty of people who cross the border each way for work, school, shopping and the care for relatives.

It's worrying for me as I'm planning on heading to Derry tomorrow for a few days to help my brother out because he done his back in quite badly last week. Thankfully he works from home and doesn't go out very often and the same for me but I can see myself being turned around, and that really gets to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

circadian wrote: »
    It'll be a hard sell to stop the movement of people going between Derry/Tyrone and East Donegal. It's completely pourus and there's plenty of people who cross the border each way for work, school, shopping and the care for relatives.

It's worrying for me as I'm planning on heading to Derry tomorrow for a few days to help my brother out because he done his back in quite badly last week. Thankfully he works from home and doesn't go out very often and the same for me but I can see myself being turned around, and that really gets to me.

I read a quote from a senior Garda this evening saying they won't be stopping at the border, so hopefully that won't happen again. Presumably that's contingent on things not getting worse.

• Advertisement

I read a quote from a senior Garda this evening saying they won't be stopping at the border, so hopefully that won't happen again. Presumably that's contingent on things not getting worse.

Aye, I'll be travelling from Dublin so we'll see what happens. Its just frustrating that I've spent since March reducing social contact as much as possible and when someone needs my help it's made difficult as a result of people not bothering.

Hopefully the restrictions help isolate it in Donegal but I can only see the rest of the island following this trend and we're arriving at the long winter that we knew was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭malinheader

Jesus listening to rte this morning reading the front headlines of the papers you would think Donegal was finished.
    Big story about a publican who went for test, came home and held a party in the bar, and his results came back positive. Mental if true.

Jesus listening to rte this morning reading the front headlines of the papers you would think Donegal was finished.
    Big story about a publican who went for test, came home and held a party in the bar, and his results came back positive. Mental if true.

That's a shocking level of irresponsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Did they name the publican or the bar?

No.They gave no name of any.
    I don't want to believe it, or hopefully it's got alot added on to make a good story for the paper. All I know it makes us look very bad up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

That was in Elphin in Roscommon.

moonshadow wrote: »
    That was in Elphin in Roscommon.

Well that's not so bad it wasn't up here.
    Still mental carry on. If 100% true.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Well that's not so bad it wasn't up here.
    Still mental carry on. If 100% true.
    I'm not really sure it matters where it happened. It's next level incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The only thing I would say is that there has been an awful lot of these stories doing the rounds recently, all over the country.

The way social media works I tend to take most of them with a pinch of salt. There is so much nonsense on the internet it's hard to tell what's real and what's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I was only half listening, I think it was in the it says in the papers section
    But it wouldn't be hard to work it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

NPHET, Martin and Varadkar are dangerous zealots. And they have no right to close the county border between Derry and Donegal. Such Treason will not be tolerated.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    NPHET, Martin and Varadkar are dangerous zealots. And they have no right to close the county border between Derry and Donegal. Such Treason will not be tolerated.
    Enough of the soap boxing. Do not post in this thread again.

Any links? PM, if necessary. I dont know about a party, but I do know of a publican with Covid-19. Just trying to work out the truth from the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Technique

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, there's one of those anti-mask covid conspiracy marches in Letterkenny tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Technique wrote: »
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, there's one of those anti-mask covid conspiracy marches in Letterkenny tomorrow.

I guess lots of people from Derry will be at that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Publican entered bar while awaiting results
    Ellen O'Riordan
    A Roscommon publican, who entered his busy bar last weekend, said he had not realised he was supposed to self-isolate while awaiting the result of a coronavirus test.
    Gordon Murray has since closed his pub An Bóthar Rua, in the town of Elphin, after testing positive for the virus. However, he admitted he had entered the bar filled with 50-60 people on Saturday night while awaiting his test result.
    “I will put my hands up and say I didn’t know I had to self-isolate. If I knew I was supposed to, I would not have been at the bar on Saturday,” he said, adding that he has been displaying mild flu-like symptoms.
    He said he was in the bar for a maximum of 40 minutes on the night. He said he had not known in advance that an 18th-birthday party was being held at his bar.
    When he arrived to check in on his pub shortly after 10pm, he found a party that consisted of “around 20 people” sitting around “about three tables”, he told the Roscommon Herald.
    “Unfortunately we are in a small, tight-knit community and they are quick to point the finger. It is a lesson,” he went on.”
    Separately, the Health Service Executive issued advice yesterday for people living in north Roscommon and the wider Elphin region, saying that public health officers are “aware” of Covid-19 cases in the area.
    Public health officers have carried out an examination of the local situation, and close contacts of people who have tested positive for the virus in recent days are being contacted.
    Today’s Irish Times

Cameras everywhere today...well in Ballybofey and Lifford anyhow. Pity they couldnt send those crews up here when the weather is good and they can report "good" news

Any links? PM, if necessary. I dont know about a party, but I do know of a publican with Covid-19. Just trying to work out the truth from the rumours.
    The Independent article

Personally I think the guy was probably being less than truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Firblog

Risteard81 wrote: »

Should close the Gap, stop the spread south :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    Should close the Gap, stop the spread south :p

build a wall, build it tall :D:D

Advertisement