Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There might be No alcohol at all at a house party.

I always assumed it was just a way of describing a gathering of people in a domestic setting.

Be it a birthday party, anniversary, communion etc. I have had several of these over recent years, and there isn't always alcohol involved. But maybe we are more boring than most?

On a lighter note, some contributor on Ireland AM there was chatting about cv19 numbers and said that of course Donegal still has very high numbers, especially up around the Stranraer area.

She knows her irish geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    especially up around the Stranraer area.

She knows her irish geography.
    What would you expect when the leader of the country can't even pronounce it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi guys
    Just look at the numbers in the North. 934, Unbelievable. Anyone got news on any cross border initiatives to quell this. Got to be concerned about Donegal.

Hi guys
    Just look at the numbers in the North. 934, Unbelievable. Anyone got news on any cross border initiatives to quell this. Got to be concerned about Donegal.

Sure Lifford had a figure of 600 per 100,000 yesterday.
    Too late to be concerned for Donegal.

I think Donegal and Derry/Strabane are to be considered as one and the same, border is irrelevant. It's not like it can stop the virus if free movement is happening.

And no-one will ever make the political decision to try to close the border.

I think the north west Needs the circuit breaker idea for 2 weeks. Only way it's going to stop it.

Either that or just let it run it's course and tell the vulnerable to stay inside and take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seen several uk reg cars and a couple of uk reg motorbikes in the last couple of days seems like the lockdown applies to us but not anyone else

• Advertisement

Sure half the county have have UK / NI reg cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

muffler wrote: »
    Sure half the county have have UK / NI reg cars!

do they ? no-one i know young or old does - unless they live in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

You're going to see NI reg cars no matter what. Sure loads of people from the North still work here and vice versa and it may be essential they travel for work. People will cross the border daily for various reasons, none of which need be seen as spreading COVID necessarily.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sure Lifford had a figure of 600 per 100,000 yesterday.
    No. I need to clarify that point. The Stranorlar - Lifford Electoral Area had 602 / 100,000 yesterday and certainly not Lifford town itself unless you have access to stats that I havent seen.

As I posted earlier in the thread the EA includes areas such as Glenfinn, Ballybofey / Stranorlar, Drumkeen, Convoy, Raphoe, Killygordon, Liscooley, Castlefinn, Lifford, Ballindrait, Porthall, St. Johnston not to mention all the rural areas.

do they ? no-one i know young or old does - unless they live in NI
    That particular topic is worthy of its own thread but I do know quite a few people who live here (never mind those I dont know) who have UK/NI reg vehicles. Its probably more common around East Donegal.

• Advertisement

Hi guys
    Almost a quarter of those are in the Strabane - Derry Council area which is really worrying for people here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

muffler wrote: »
    No. I need to clarify that point. The Stranorlar - Lifford Electoral Area had 602 / 100,000 yesterday and certainly not Lifford town itself unless you have access to stats that I havent seen.

As I posted earlier in the thread the EA includes areas such as Glenfinn, Ballybofey / Stranorlar, Drumkeen, Convoy, Raphoe, Killygordon, Liscooley, Castlefinn, Lifford, Ballindrait, Porthall, St. Johnston not to mention all the rural areas.

Also those stats are over a period of time. The 900+ cases in NI were in one 24 hour period.

36 new cases announced today which is the second highest we've had since the Dept began releasing numbers for individual counties back in July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I myself think even stepping up to level 4 is not going to flatten it this time.
    I think everyone knows what will have to be done.

Talk in Northern Ireland of a "circuit breaker" lockdown. Basically a short term full lockdown to try to kill the spread. We should probably be looking at doing the same here.

Talk in Northern Ireland of a "circuit breaker" lockdown. Basically a short term full lockdown to try to kill the spread. We should probably be looking at doing the same here.

Can't see any other way myself. Not that I want it but would take a 2 or 3 week lockdown in hope of having a half normal xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

934 cases is a massive number, even if it’s from over more than one day, as reported on BBC NI earlier. <SNIP>

Mod note: Please stick to local issues, thanks

10 Deaths and Over 600 cases country wide and 58 in our county. I know my self before we locked down the first time I didn't know anyone with covid. At this moment I know of at least a dozen. A short lockdown I think is needed to take control of the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

10 Deaths and Over 600 cases country wide and 58 in our county. I know my self before we locked down the first time I didn't know anyone with covid. At this moment I know of at least a dozen. A short lockdown I think is needed to take control of the spread.
    8 of those deaths are before September.

Still shocking figures, but I don't know why they insist on not highlighting or separating out the older deaths.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    8 of those deaths are before September.

Still shocking figures, but I don't know why they insist on not highlighting or separating out the older deaths.

They do separate them but journalists are in a mad rush to get the numbers out as soon as they're released that we get the 10 deaths first, followed by the clarification a few minutes later

• Advertisement

I think that's part of the problem. We did relatively well with it the first time round that there seemed to be some notion that it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, or that it was something happening somewhere else. Italy is one of the European countries dealing best with it since reopening, and they had a horrific first wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

This virus is running rampant in Donegal and we all need to be very careful this time around.

I know of 6 cases that came from one pub on a particular night and has spread like wildfire from those cases.

I felt fine about the virus during Lockdown but I am very worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Our restrictions are in reality non-existent. For instance my partner's cousin had an appointment with driver test theory centre in Sligo last week, he reckons there were three people from Dublin and two from Donegal in a very small waiting room at the same time as him. Anecdotal I know but I have no reason to doubt him.

Our restrictions are in reality non-existent. For instance my partner's cousin had an appointment with driver test theory centre in Sligo last week, he reckons there were three people from Dublin and two from Donegal in a very small waiting room at the same time as him. Anecdotal I know but I have no reason to doubt him.

Could well be true, but like we do entering any shop, could they all not have worn masks? If they did, and sanitized hands on way in, just sitting in a waiting room the risks of contracting it are probably very low.

Also is it not more likely those people were living in Sligo? Not sure why anyone would be travelling to sligo for theory tests .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Apparently the centres in Dublin and Donegal don't have any availability this side of the New Year so people are travelling to places around the country. I agree that if they are wearing masks, sanitizing etc in the centres then the risk is low, however they are likely to stop for food, toilet breaks etc on the way "down the country" and again on the way home in places where there may not be the same enforcement as (I would hope) there is in a state agency. Anyway the point I was making is that despite all we are being told there is effectively no restriction on travel from the two counties under Level 2 protocol.

Apparently the centres in Dublin and Donegal don't have any availability this side of the New Year so people are travelling to places around the country.

There are two things you can't fix - stupid, and selfish.

So Mulrines wanted to establish a testing centre for their staff at lands opposite their Ballybofey premises, and Donegal CoCo denied them planning permission for it.

So Mulrines wanted to establish a testing centre for their staff at lands opposite their Ballybofey premises, and Donegal CoCo denied them planning permission for it.

I wonder why? It sounds like a good idea, assuming proper test kits are used, and correct, safe, procedures followed.

• Advertisement

I wonder why? It sounds like a good idea, assuming proper test kits are used, and correct, safe, procedures followed.
    Not refused because of the nature of operations of the proposal but for not complying with the objectives of the local town plan particularly road safety where they (Mulrines) failed to submit the proper details

1. The proposed Covid Test Centre site is located on the other side of the N15 Road from the factory premises whose staff it proposes to test and is located on lands zoned ‘Opportunity Site (2) within the Town Centre as defined in the Ballybofey/Stranorlar LAP 2018-2024.
    It is a Policy of the Plan (Policy T-P-8 refers) to require a Traffic and Transport Assessment and Road Safety Audit for any development proposing access to the Strategic Road Network. It is further policy to have regard to the development of lands located within the overall opportunity site and that access arrangements will have regard to Policy BS-TC-2 of the Plan.
    In the absence of such detail (notwithstanding the applicants reliance on an outdated TIA and RSA from an historical application relating to an entirely separate development) and having regard to the traffic cross-over movements associated with both premises to which the development is proposed to serve, it is considered that to permit the proposed development in the absence of such information required to demonstrate that the proposed development will not adversely impact on the operational capacity, safety and efficiency of the National Road would materially contravene the aforementioned Policies of the Plan, would endanger traffic safety and would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Advertisement