Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wonder why? It sounds like a good idea, assuming proper test kits are used, and correct, safe, procedures followed.

Link to story <SNIP>

All sounds a bit odd anyway, not sure why they need to build an entirely new building to take a few temperatures

Mod note/ please read forum charter in relation to that excuse for a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have been updating the daily list of new confirmed cases here in the county that I posted earlier in the thread. It can be viewed here

I might bring it forward in a few days time but I'll try to shorten it a bit before doing so.

muffler wrote: »
    Not refused because of the nature of operations of the proposal but for not complying with the objectives of the local town plan particularly road safety where they (Mulrines) failed to submit the proper details

Thats fair enough, I suppose.
    If Mulrines are sufficiently dedicated to testing, I'm sure they'll manage to set up some form of temporary structure to facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Thats fair enough, I suppose.
    If Mulrines are sufficiently dedicated to testing, I'm sure they'll manage to set up some form of temporary structure to facilitate it.

Having worked at Mulrines in a reasonably senior role they're dedicated to making money and this has nothing to do with testing and everything to do with opportunism.

Mod please delete if this is the wrong place to bring this up.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Mod please delete if this is the wrong place to bring this up.
    Its ok but I think we can now park the discussion on Mulrines planning application together with their business aspirations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Its ok but I think we can now park the discussion on Mulrines planning application together with their business aspirations.

If Mulrines want to have a testing facility wouldn't that be advantageous for the employees and local economy as they can continue working safely,secure in the knowledge they aren't at risk and still in gainful employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

Level 3 not doing much for Donegal numbers

Level 3 not doing much for Donegal numbers

It's only been a week and a half. Dublin's numbers are only starting to show a leveling now, and they're a week and a bit ahead of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Not good news seems 30 cases in brindley manor convoy according to highland.
    Last thing we need is it getting into homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rumours are a cluster out of a pub in donegal town as well

thats me: cut my social contacts to basically zero,

one shop a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Not good news seems 30 cases in brindley manor convoy according to highland.
    Last thing we need is it getting into homes.

Rte reported the same this morning. Disaster.

It says the home is currently closed to non essential visitors under level 3 guidelines, but does that mean they were open to visitors up until last week? Given the numbers have been bad here for about 5-6 weeks now all the nursing homes should have been locked down at that point. I know of one in Strabane that stopped visits about 6 weeks ago, decided themselves and just did it.

60 confirmed cases in the county today which is a new record high.

The number of positive cases over the last 7 days is 298 which is very worrying indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

60 confirmed cases in the county today which is a new record high.

The number of positive cases over the last 7 days is 298 which is very worrying indeed.

Can't see us reaching Halloween without a full lockdown.
    Damned if you do and definitely damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

For us as a family it's worrying. My son is in a high risk category, I'm very high risk (multiple risks) and my wife is a HSE frontline worker seeing 15 to 25 patients/clients per day. Son tells me precautions and standards are slipping in school and on the bus pupils take their masks off once they pass the driver's seat.

Sometimes I feel a certain sense of inevitability about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Heighway61 wrote: »
    ...Sometimes I feel a certain sense of inevitability about things.

One of my colleagues said he has reached the conclusion that there's no real point taking any precautions. We just have to accept what he calls the "Wuhan plague" is here to stay and most of us will catch it whatever we do then it's just a matter of how badly we're affected.

One of my colleagues said he has reached the conclusion that there's no real point taking any precautions. We just have to accept what he calls the "Wuhan plague" is here to stay and most of us will catch it whatever we do then it's just a matter of how badly we're affected.

Sounds quite selfish, to be honest. Other countries are living reasonably normal lives with it still around. We could be too but unfortunately there seems to be zero solidarity or willingness to listen among quite a large proportion of the population.
    I've talked to 4 different people this week who are/were worried they'd been exposed to it after spending time with someone who didn't tell them they were awaiting testing/results. That's the bare minimum you'd expect from someone, especially a friend or relative, but for some reason an awful lot of people are not self isolating when they have symptoms, have been referred for testing, or are awaiting their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Sounds quite selfish, to be honest. Other countries are living reasonably normal lives with it still around. We could be too but unfortunately there seems to be zero solidarity or willingness to listen among quite a large proportion of the population.
    I've talked to 4 different people this week who are/were worried they'd been exposed to it after spending time with someone who didn't tell them they were awaiting testing/results. That's the bare minimum you'd expect from someone, especially a friend or relative, but for some reason an awful lot of people are not self isolating when they have symptoms, have been referred for testing, or are awaiting their results.

Like the guy from the tyre centre in Donegal town who tested positive an everyone knew an still went into his work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

So its 12 days done since we moved to Level 3? If that had any significant impact would we be seeing it by now? It looks likes things are still going in the wrong direction and can see Donegal been moved up to Level 4 or 5 sooner rather than later although I hope not. I am hoping this week's coverage in the news might make people take more accountability again and see some stabilisation and reduction up here soon.

henke wrote: »
    So its 12 days done since we moved to Level 3? If that had any significant impact would we be seeing it by now? It looks likes things are still going in the wrong direction and can see Donegal been moved up to Level 4 or 5 sooner rather than later although I hope not. I am hoping this week's coverage in the news might make people take more accountability again and see some stabilisation and reduction up here soon.

Dublin is only starting to see an impact on it's numbers now, and they're nearly at the end of their 3 weeks, and it's really only sort of leveling off. I'm assuming they'll be extended in line with the rest of the country, and we will too. But I wouldn't expect to see any real impact until next week. That said, I think they were too late acting on Donegal, and unfortunately a lot of people seem to still be ignoring the most basic of guidelines, add in Derry/Strabane being riddled with it and seemingly little action being taken there, and I can't see the numbers coming down anytime soon.
    The one positive I have seen over the last couple of days is people seem to have finally realised that being related to someone, or close friends with someone, doesn't act as a magical barrier and protect you from getting it. It's unfortunate it's taken some of them actually being exposed to someone who has tested positive for them to realise this, but maybe people will actually start cutting their unnecessary social contacts now, and we might start to see some impact on the numbers.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    I am hoping this week's coverage in the news might make people take more accountability again and see some stabilisation and reduction up here soon.

donegal town has got a lot quieter this week even parking on the diamond , although there was a queue outside aldi this morning and i assume lidl will be mobbed on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

donegal town has got a lot quieter this week even parking on the diamond , although there was a queue outside aldi this morning and i assume lidl will be mobbed on monday.

Lidl opened up today and was mobbed all day apparently

feelpablo wrote: »
    Lidl opened up today and was mobbed all day apparently

not really suprising though when its been closed for 3 months, ill stay away for at least a week myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dublin has levelled off and I think shown a slight decrease in average over the past two weeks, gives some hope for us considering you'd think it'd spread easier in Dublin with much higher density etc.

Our big issue is the border, NI have royally f'd up their response to the extent that they're amongst the worst places on the planet at the moment.

Capture.png

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=usa&areas=bra&areas=gbr&areas=irl&areas=n92000002&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&byDate=0&cumulative=0&logScale=0&perMillion=1&values=cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Dublin has levelled off and I think shown a slight decrease in average over the past two weeks, gives some hope for us considering you'd think it'd spread easier in Dublin with much higher density etc.

Our big issue is the border, NI have royally f'd up their response to the extent that they're amongst the worst places on the planet at the moment.

Capture.png

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=usa&areas=bra&areas=gbr&areas=irl&areas=n92000002&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&byDate=0&cumulative=0&logScale=0&perMillion=1&values=cases

I agree that the NI response is disastrous but that graph is misleading. You can’t take somewhere as small as NI and compare with the whole of the US or Brazil. There could well be similar sized pockets in those countries with levels as high or higher than NI.

We all have to be careful how we use data. It is tempting to cherrypick what supports own views when instead we need to use it to form our viewpoint.

echo beach wrote: »
    We all have to be careful how we use data. It is tempting to cherrypick what supports own views when instead we need to use it to form our viewpoint.

1080 cases today !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

1080 cases today !

What are the hospital numbers like in the main hospitals over the last few weeks? The trend in this would give an idea where northern Ireland and Donegal is heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

1080 cases today !

Have you checked the testing numbers though? There was almost 11,000 tests completed (6,500 people) , and they are only encouraging tests again if symptomatic - so a higher positivity is now expected.

NI has higher rates than the rest of the UK/Ireland but they also have more testing. Yes, I know this only accounts for some of the increase

The South did 95,000 in a week for a much higher population.]

Also here is the graph showing hospital admissions is available here - page 11

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZGYxNjYzNmUtOTlmZS00ODAxLWE1YTEtMjA0NjZhMzlmN2JmIiwidCI6IjljOWEzMGRlLWQ4ZDctNGFhNC05NjAwLTRiZTc2MjVmZjZjNSIsImMiOjh9

trixi001 wrote: »
    Have you checked the testing numbers though? There was almost 11,000 tests completed (6,500 people) , and they are only encouraging tests again if symptomatic - so a higher positivity is now expected.

NI has higher rates than the rest of the UK/Ireland but they also have more testing. Yes, I know this only accounts for some of the increase

By that reasoning, and given that the majority of people testing positive have no symptoms surely the actual number of people with it is way higher than the already very high numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

What are the hospital numbers like in the main hospitals over the last few weeks? The trend in this would give an idea where northern Ireland and Donegal is heading.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1314559033551003652?s=19

Advertisement