Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

App updated. Galway now showing 500 cases.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

App updated. Galway now showing 500 cases.

As explained the app is a few days behind. No new cases in Galway today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

As explained the app is a few days behind. No new cases in Galway today

It drained my battery today

CovId CHAT thread

Was it busy today? I’m self isolating

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

The apps have begun distributed bitcoin mining to pay for the welfare payments.

Are you against the covid payment?

Nope

Nope

Against welfare payments?

• Advertisement

? No

What’s this all abut?

What’s this all abut?

It's a light hearted take on why the Covid app has started going 90 on people's phones. Sheesh.

No issues on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I see the Vitamin Shop Sports Supplements Shop on Francis St is gone. Their Facebook says something big is coming.

Galway City Council - "Due to large crowds gathering and issues with maintaining social distancing, Blackrock Diving Tower has been closed this morning until further notice."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's getting very confusing. The official numbers released every day for cases per county don't seem to update as evidence of increased cases becomes available. Even on the news they have mentioned cases in Galway on several evenings but the numbers official shared on hpsc/in the app/on the facebook updates have not actually budged, then suddenly there's an increase in 3 a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway City Council - "Due to large crowds gathering and issues with maintaining social distancing, Blackrock Diving Tower has been closed this morning until further notice."

Hmm I wonder how they could have mitigated against this happening without closing the Tower....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's getting very confusing. The official numbers released every day for cases per county don't seem to update as evidence of increased cases becomes available. Even on the news they have mentioned cases in Galway on several evenings but the numbers official shared on hpsc/in the app/on the facebook updates have not actually budged, then suddenly there's an increase in 3 a few days later.

As I mentioned earlier, there are patient confidentiality issues with releasing small numbers.

Expect the apparent ambiguity to continue unless we get to more than five per county per day.

• Advertisement

They do add up... the 8 cases came through on the county-by-county updates published on these dates;

11/08 - 1(+) (later today)
    09/08 - 1
    07/08 - 1
    02/08 - 3
    29/07 - 2

As mentioned a few times, the county breakdown is a day later than the national total updates. On the national update they sometimes mention which counties the cases were in, but this isn't in the county-by-county breakdown until the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

As I mentioned earlier, there are patient confidentiality issues with releasing small numbers.

Expect the apparent ambiguity to continue unless we get to more than five per county per day.

Stupid if true.

Galway county has what, 250k people?
    If they announce 2 cases, it's hardly going to mean everyone/anyone knows who they are.

If anything, the fact that they won't announce small numbers of cases will actually fuel the speculation and lead to false accusations and witch-hunts - sure only a week or so ago people were saying there was an outbrreak in a city hotel?

If they trusted the HSE to have full transparency re: the case numbers, that wouldnt have happened.

They're flip flopping...

"Blackrock Diving Tower will re-open from tomorrow morning.

Galway City Council asks that all users of the tower adhere to social distancing guidelines. The situation will be monitored in the coming days and access to the the tower may be closed again should the need arise.

Measures may be introduced at other other beach and amenity facilities should the need arise, in the interests of social distancing and public safety."

Silverstrand road closed again...

Galway City Council - "The road access to Silverstrand Beach will be closed for the remainder of this evening, Tuesday 11th August, due to the car park being full and large volumes of traffic attempting to use the road."

Security at the door aren't well enough qualified to judge if an exemption applies or not. And there are exemptions, on a number of grounds. .

Shop security in Dunnes today refusing anyone without a mask, turned 3 people away in the time I was queuing. I’ve heard it’s similar is some other shops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shop security in Dunnes today refusing anyone without a mask, turned 3 people away in the time I was queuing. I’ve heard it’s similar is some other shops also.

I reckon a disability-rights organisation - or even just a single parent with an autistic etc kid - will take them to the cleaners sooner or later.

I reckon a disability-rights organisation - or even just a single parent with an autistic etc kid - will take them to the cleaners sooner or later.

Taken to the cleaners for ensuring the law is not broken on their premises? Yeah right :rolleyes:

I’m sure if someone has the appropriate paper work to demonstrate they are exempt from wearing a mask then there will be no issue, the onus is on a person to prove they are exempt not on a shop to assume as the vast vast majority of people have no issue wearing one.

Your suggestion is the equivalent of saying a disabled person without a blue badge will take a shop “to the cleaners” for clamping them, which of course they won’t as the onus is on the person to have the badge to demonstrate they qualify for disabled parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They would not have a leg to stand on its Government Legistation with fines or jail for not wearing a mask and a public health issue, who would a judge side with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

If there is health reasons they can't wear a mask they can simply get doctors letter. I believe that was said on radio.

For young kids they don't need/required to wear a mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Kids are exempt from the masks, and why assume autistic kids cannot/wont wear a mask, our's do.

Advertisement