Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There are community transmission from unknown sources.

Normal life and interaction in Sweden is very different to normal life here.

What's your solution for the economy, jobs in your outlook? Another/more nationwide lockdowns would be the death knell of a swathe of retailers, hospitality etc. Thousands and thousands losing jobs, the economy in tatters from it, not gonna happen. We just need to live with it and get on with life all the while keeping numbers as low as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What's your solution for the economy, jobs in your outlook? Another/more nationwide lockdowns would be the death knell of a swathe of retailers, hospitality etc. Thousands and thousands losing jobs, the economy in tatters from it, not gonna happen. We just need to live with it and get on with life all the while keeping numbers as low as possible.

On news today 1200 people lost their jobs overnight in the three Counties in lock down , one large hotel in Kildare had every booking to October cancelled and only just took on six new staff on Wednesday now gone again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

What's your solution for the economy, jobs in your outlook?

We need to adapt all businesses to operate as safely as possible - take away / delivery / spread out outdoors (reclaim street space).

I thought restaurants were opening up safely but big groups of friends from different households now in pubs with a few pizza slices to tick the box is just taking the piss. I don't think that's what the health advice was intending.

Many jobs will still not be viable (retail floor staff, waiters etc). We continue to support these people through welfare. Yes we might need to run the budget at a deficit, but health and life is more important. We increase taxation when we recover, to recover debt and prepare for future pandemics.

We should also prepare and support certified online learning and training for those kept out of work. They can reskill if they want to and get back working in a job that can be done remotely.

We need to adapt all businesses to operate as safely as possible - take away / delivery / spread out outdoors (reclaim street space).

I thought restaurants were opening up safely but big groups of friends from different households now in pubs with a few pizza slices to tick the box is just taking the piss. I don't think that's what the health advice was intending.

Many jobs will still not be viable (retail floor staff, waiters etc). We continue to support these people through welfare. Yes we might need to run the budget at a deficit, but health and life is more important. We increase taxation when we recover, to recover debt and prepare for future pandemics.

We should also prepare and support certified online learning and training for those kept out of work. They can reskill if they want to and get back working in a job that can be done remotely.

Where is the money for welfare going to come from we don't have the money they have already taken 350 million from the children's hospital it won't work .no work no taxes no economy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I drove past the beer garden coming from a food shop btw hardly out and about. Enjoying beers and bbq in the back garden now, most could be doing the same rather than risking restaurants etc. And this is coming from a person who was in the pub twice a week and ate out at least that many times too yet I can manage to stay away.

What beer garden in Galway City is visible from the road and also en route to a supermarket for a food shop?

Pucan - no
    O Connells - no
    Murtys - no
    Taylors - no

Maybe you drove past Jury's and managed to see into the beer garden there but driving towards Salthill to do a food shop on a day like today when there are supermarkets in the city are more accessible seems a bit out of way to me. Likewise if driving from Salthill to the city, surely driving via the quincentennial bridge would be a better route to go to supermarkets?

I'd say on a day like today, of all days, the Spanish arch was more likely to be packed with people drinking outside. Cheaper, no food requirements and no time limits. I was in Newtownsmith arch for a bit having lunch outside and I can tell you that it was not too busy at all.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where is the money for welfare going to come from we don't have the money they have already taken 350 million from the children's hospital it won't work .no work no taxes no economy

From borrowing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/covid-19-why-heavy-borrowing-is-different-now-than-during-the-crash-1.4253660?mode=amp

But businesses have adapted, Covid measures introduced throughout all industries. Retail, restaurants, bars that have opened are for the most part being responsible. If you feel that the economy as is, is too open then how do you foresee schools and colleges reopening?

But businesses have adapted, Covid measures introduced throughout all industries. Retail, restaurants, bars that have opened are for the most part being responsible. If you feel that the economy as is, is too open then how do you foresee schools and colleges reopening?

As I said, through borrowing. It's normal for countries to borrow when needed. Then repay as we recover.

Yes they did, but the numbers have stopped dropping. And we've now seen how quickly they can surge. I think it's more important to open schools than non essential businesses. If we can't afford to ease further, then close non essential businesses and open the schools.

All colleges should be able to operate remotely this year, they've had all summer to prepare and improve their existing online delivery.

How do you propose we pay it back with a wrecked economy

I believe we can hibernate and recover quickly. Lots of people are still working full time, earning the same as before but spending less.

• Advertisement

I believe we can hibernate and recover quickly. Lots of people are still working full time, earning the same as before but spending less.

I give up your living on a different planet

Lads I know it's impossible for me to be cold and calculated about pushing the economy forward.

Every day the numbers don't drop, it's more likely I'll never be able to sit down and chat with my grandparent again. It's heartbreaking to watch them fade away behind a glass window. It was fine for a month, tough for 2-3 months but now that the end of their quarantine is pushing out into the future instead of coming closer it is awful. The numbers this week have been devastating.

I was content with the phased reopening as numbers kept dropping slowly while people were getting back to work but I think we need to put the brakes on again now.

I give up your living on a different planet

I think I am. I'm based here in earth, but thanks for dropping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,791 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have an 85 year old grandparent in a nursing home that has been quarantined since early March. They have only been able to get visitors from behind a glass screen recently... but their hearing and sight mean they aren't even aware of the visit. They don't know who is there. They have had to visit the hospital twice (minor falls) and they couldn't have any relative with them on the ambulance and had to stay in their room for 14 days after each time. They haven't seen family in 5 months and they feel abandoned.

We need to crunch the numbers down to near nil so all those still quarantining can reclaim some quality of life. We don't need sit down restaurants, pubs, sit-in cafes, house parties...

So you're saying that the mental health of teens and 20-somethings should be abandoned, to safeguard the 80-somethings who've already lived their lives?

And if you need evidence that lock-down was a mental-health strain: Claddagh watch had double patrols on the bridges from early evening every day during it. They weren't out for the craic.

On another note, if a person with poor hearing and vision has had falls bad enough to need a hospital visit twice in six months, then it might be time to review the quality of care they're receiving.

We all adapted great for the first couple of months because we were locked down now we can go out and do things that are approved by the medics, we cannot go from lock down to lock down the economy will collapse we will have no jobs and people's health will suffer we will crack up, this is going to be with us for years and we will have to find some way around it to carry on as best we can. There have been no reported cases from pubs or restaurants people have lives to live, look at Sweden ten million people no lock down and only 41 cases yesterday.

We should never have come out of the lockdown when we did. It was too soon. Also I don’t buy this “people will crack up”. I didn’t find the lockdown bad at all, in fact there are aspects of full lockdown I miss.

Also please don’t use Sweden as an example in any covid argument, they were a total disgrace in their management and one of the worst places in the world in suppressing it.
    Fitz* wrote: »
    What beer garden in Galway City is visible from the road and also en route to a supermarket for a food shop?

Pucan - no
    O Connells - no
    Murtys - no
    Taylors - no
    ll.

Where did I say it was galway city?

So you're saying that the mental health of teens and 20-somethings should be abandoned, to safeguard the 80-somethings who've already lived their lives?

And if you need evidence that lock-down was a mental-health strain: Claddagh watch had double patrols on the bridges from early evening every day during it. They weren't out for the craic.

I'm certainly not. Working isn't a requirement for good mental health. But a sense of purpose is important - that's why I suggest funding remote reskilling and learning.

Part of adapting includes social interaction, people can still meet and interact, just with changes.
    On another note, if a person with poor hearing and vision has had falls bad enough to need a hospital visit twice in six months, then it might be time to review the quality of care they're receiving.

Minor falls, as I said. It's not really any of your business but they have pre-existing hip and bone issues and the hospital visits were for xrays to ensure no fracturing, which is possible from the most minor of falls in their condition.

We should never have come out of the lockdown when we did. It was too soon. Also I don’t buy this “people will crack up”. I didn’t find the lockdown bad at all, in fact there are aspects of full lockdown I miss.

Also please don’t use Sweden as an example in any covid argument, they were a total disgrace in their management and one of the worst places in the world in suppressing it.

Thank God you are not in the Government you would destroy the Country and the lives of our Children

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A cheaper way would be to sort out the DP centers where a lot of these clusters and also to enforce proper standards in meat plants including both health and safety standards and paying a living wage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Any of you notice the COVID App is draining your battery from full to empty in a matter of a few short hours today?

Have it since launch without issue, but today it drained my phone from fully charged to empty in 4 hours.

Samsung popped up a warning identifying the App as the culprit.

Yes, Samsung S8 here and have had the Covid app for a couple of months. All fine until I woke up to a dead phone this morning. Charged it twice today, died twice.

App now gone, we'll see if it makes a difference.

A cheaper way would be to sort out the DP centers where a lot of these clusters and also to enforce proper standards in meat plants including both health and safety standards and paying a living wage.

Absolutely. Shut down the meat processing plants and support the staff and suppliers until it's fixed. The procedures in place are clearly not working... we've had repeated outbreaks around the country.

They are open now, it's not working, back up and fix.

Same for DP centres, if we can make €€€ available for temp cycle lanes we can make €€€ available to fast track addressing the problems with DP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Absolutely. Shut down the meat processing plants and support the staff and suppliers until it's fixed. The procedures in place are clearly not working... we've had repeated outbreaks around the country

I didnt say starve us all

I didnt say starve us all

I'm sure you'll survive without your fillet steak for a few weeks.

. If you feel that the economy as is, is too open then how do you foresee schools and colleges reopening?

They shouldn't even be considering opening schools and colleges for attendance in person, it’s just a covid time bomb. It will be a meat plant in every town. The effort should be going into preparing for online learning not preparing schools which will end up closed half the time due to covid and spreading ten virus among the community.
    Thank God you are not in the Government you would destroy the Country and the lives of our Children

As opposed to the lives you and others are happy to sacrifice to the virus? The economy can and will recover, jobs will come back, the gov can borrow all they need at almost 0% interest and pay it back over decades but people who die from virus can not be brought back.

Also I’d argue a longer hard lockdown to drive the virus out completely coupled with nothing but essential travel into and out of the country would see the economy get back moving much faster ran the route we are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Where did I say it was galway city?

You posted in the Galway City forum today, twice, saying that you drove past a packed beer garden while doing your shop today.

If it wasn't the city, then where was it? Or did it actually happen at all?

Anyways as I said, today is far more likely to have people drinking in the sparch or other likewise areas than in pubs because of the weather and other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,331 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any update on Galway cases or is that put in a different thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How do you propose we pay it back with a wrecked economy

It'll never all be paid back. We already owe 250 billion pre covid.

They shouldn't even be considering opening schools and colleges for attendance in person, it’s just a covid time bomb. It will be a meat plant in every town. The effort should be going into preparing for online learning not preparing schools which will end up closed half the time due to covid and spreading ten virus among the community.

As opposed to the lives you and others are happy to sacrifice to the virus? The economy can and will recover, jobs will come back, the gov can borrow all they need at almost 0% interest and pay it back over decades but people who die from virus can not be brought back.

Also I’d argue a longer hard lockdown to drive the virus out completely coupled with nothing but essential travel into and out of the country would see the economy get back moving much faster ran the route we are taking.

Schools reopened in Denmark last April and to date not one pupil got the Virus that was on RTE News yesterday

Fitz* wrote: »

If it wasn't the city, then where was it? Or did it actually happen at all?

Where it was is irrelevant and I have absolutely no obligation to tell you where it was and I won’t as I don’t want posting my whereabouts.

Schools reopened in Denmark last April and to date not one pupil got the Virus that was on RTE News yesterday

Schools opened in Germany last week and a number of them didn’t even last the week.

• Advertisement

Lads I know it's impossible for me to be cold and calculated about pushing the economy forward.

Every day the numbers don't drop, it's more likely I'll never be able to sit down and chat with my grandparent again. It's heartbreaking to watch them fade away behind a glass window. It was fine for a month, tough for 2-3 months but now that the end of their quarantine is pushing out into the future instead of coming closer it is awful. The numbers this week have been devastating.

I was content with the phased reopening as numbers kept dropping slowly while people were getting back to work but I think we need to put the brakes on again now.

But the numbers are largely from well known sources e.g. the meat plants and dp. In what world does it make sense to then close the rest of the country as a result? It doesn't, simple as.

Advertisement