Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Where it was is irrelevant and I have absolutely no obligation to tell you where it was and I won’t as I don’t want posting my whereabouts.

In fairness you did post in the galway city forum that one of the beer gardens was packed and not much social distancing going on now if this beer garden is in dublin or somewhere outside the city why post it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

But the numbers are largely from well known sources e.g. the meat plants and dp. In what world does it make sense to then close the rest of the country as a result? It doesn't, simple as.

Because it's a small country and that's a lot of new contact points that have been out and about before testing.

174 cases would have been shocking news in early March, we've become complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Because it's a small country and that's a lot of new contact points that have been out and about before testing.

174 cases would have been shocking news in early March, we've become complacent.

Yes it would have seemed high, but when the CMO comes out and says it's to be expected and it was as such 'known' then it's not a shock. There will of course be spikes, but that's what local lockdowns for short periods are for. Full nationwide lockdowns aren't in the pipeline at all, the Taoiseach has stated that a nuanced approach will be taken going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

nipped into town this eve.(1st time in a while) went from car to mcdonaghs and back. The whole scene left me shook. Quay st rammed.sparch rammed.eyre sq rammed.and the q for o Connells was long,id imagine said beer garden was wedged. And i was the only person i could see(maybe cos we were outdoors?)wearing a mask. Not surprised at rising numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

nipped into town this eve.(1st time in a while) went from car to mcdonaghs and back. The whole scene left me shook. Quay st rammed.sparch rammed.eyre sq rammed.and the q for o Connells was long,id imagine said beer garden was wedged. And i was the only person i could see(maybe cos we were outdoors?)wearing a mask. Not surprised at rising numbers

I wouldn't see that Pic of Quay St. as rammed, were you ever down there on a normal Race Week night?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

I wouldn't see that Pic of Quay St. as rammed, were you ever down there on a normal Race Week night?
    its not a normal race week night though and it was spilled all out sparch,round by monroes etc. Social distancing is gone.

its not a normal race week night though and it was spilled all out sparch,round by monroes etc. Social distancing is gone.

I heard the Sparch was pretty bad today but din't see it myself & have no doubt it was.

Yes, today was not a normal race week and that's why I think from the Pic you attached that Quay St. was pretty sparce by any stretch.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Quay st is not rammed going by your poor picture. Have a look at why the numbers are rising before spouting this nonsense. There hasn't been a surge in cases in Galway.

I heard the Sparch was pretty bad today but din't see it myself & have no doubt it was.

522519.jpg
    https://twitter.com/RowenaO66493865/status/1292229076955127810?s=19

https://twitter.com/destr0ya/status/1292234414597058562?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Numbers in Galway aren't rising.

And that ain't rammed.

• Advertisement

And that ain't rammed.

We shouldn’t be waiting for them to start rising we should be overly cautious to ensure it doesn’t happen. Having anyone out eating in restaurants and in pubs is too much or a risk. The city centre should be deserted. The fact people are too stupid and ignorant to realise this themselves means the government should step in and restrict things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Are you for real you call that rammed thats quite by any standard you cant be going around and looking for crowds, people need to get out and Galway is doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We shouldn’t be waiting for them to start rising we should be overly cautious to ensure it doesn’t happen. Having anyone out eating in restaurants and in pubs is too much or a risk. The city centre should be deserted. The fact people are too stupid and ignorant to realise this themselves means the government should step in and restrict things.

Go back to your cave were not living in a prison

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Are you for real you call that rammed thats quite by any standard you cant be going around and looking for crowds, people need to get out and Galway is doing great

People don’t need to get out to pubs and restaurants or hanging around sitting on top of each other in the Spanish arch.

Get out for a bit of air, go for a walk or maybe a beach on a quiet day but stay the feck at home otherwise. You don’t “need” to be doing most of what people are doing.

What’s so hard about staying at home? It’s one of the easiest things to do. Look at how many people found the lockdown a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And that ain't rammed.

That picture is not of a rammed Quay Street, I'll definitely give you that. But I walked through there at about 9 30 - walking home from work - and it was pretty damn busy. As was all the Spainish Arch and along the claddagh. I suppose we can argue all day whether it's any harm, with most of the people being outside and all, but it did give me some pause, especially with three counties having just gone back under lockdown again. Which would have felt like crazy talk to a lot of people living there even a week ago. The situation with this thing can change pretty damn rapidly and I don't think Galway has some special immunity shield, just because we've been lucky compared to most up until this point.

I was a bit taken aback when I looked in the windows of a "restaurant" on Domnick Street. It was pretty much heaving with people.

I didnt say starve us all

"Minister says meat plants with virus outbreaks should not open on Monday"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0808/1158018-new-restrictions-in-place-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly/

"Minister says meat plants with virus outbreaks should not open on Monday"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0808/1158018-new-restrictions-in-place-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly/

You said close all meat plants, that article talks only about the 3 related to the current outbreak.

You said close all meat plants, that article talks only about the 3 related to the current outbreak.

Well it's a step in the right direction. Close them all until new procedures are worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

These meat factories must be horrid places to work in. I sense a Prime Time Investigates special on them incoming.

New Zealand are keeping on top of this.

New Zealand marks 100 days without virus transmission
    "As a result, New Zealanders are enjoying a near-normal, pre-coronavirus lifestyle with no social distancing and spectators allowed at sports and cultural events, but with the border strictly controlled and all arrivals required to spend 14 days in quarantine."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0809/1158133-new-zealand-coronavirus/

We would need a joined up approach with NI for that to work here though.

• Advertisement

174 cases, 1 new death. At least one new Galway case.

2nd wave... :-/

According to the App there is no new case in Galway. It still stands @ 499.

What was your source for the new case you mentioned?

The announcement of 174 cases yesterday mentioned that 17 of the cases were spread across 13 other countries, they included Galway in the list.

The county-by-county breakdown is always a further day delayed so we should expect at least one more Galway case in the breakdown today.

"110 cases are located in Kildare, 27 in Dublin, 7 in Cork, 7 in Offaly, 6 in Meath and 17 are spread across thirteen other counties (Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Donegal, Galway, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Mayo, Roscommon, Tipperary, Wexford and Wicklow)."

"110 cases are located in Kildare, 27 in Dublin, 7 in Cork, 7 in Offaly, 6 in Meath and 17 are spread across thirteen other counties (Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Donegal, Galway, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Mayo, Roscommon, Tipperary, Wexford and Wicklow)."

Incidentally that means at least 1 new case in Galway and in every county bordering Galway.

According to the App there is no new case in Galway. It still stands @ 499.

What was your source for the new case you mentioned?

The app figures are only until midnight thursday

The overall national figures in the app are from midnight Friday, the county breakdown is from midnight Thursday.

The overall national figures in the app are from midnight Friday, the county breakdown is from midnight Thursday.

When you open the App & scroll to the bottom of that page it gives Info on when it was last updated.

Latest mine is showing is

Confirmed cases last update: 1AM 08/08/2020

Cases profile last update: 1AM 06/08/2020

Confirmed cases last update: 1AM 08/08/2020

Cases profile last update: 1AM 06/08/2020

1am on 8th is just after midnight Friday. Maybe a GMT/IST difference there. Their update said "As of midnight Friday 7 August, the HPSC has been notified of 174 confirmed cases...".

And under their county cases on the gov site says "All statistics measured at midnight on Thursday 6 August.". And those county numbers match the app.

So a bit unclear between the app timestamps and the announcement. Midnight is a messy reference point, is it the start or end of the day.

1am on 8th is just after midnight Friday. Maybe a GMT/IST difference there. Their update said "As of midnight Friday 7 August, the HPSC has been notified of 174 confirmed cases...".

And under their county cases on the gov site says "All statistics measured at midnight on Thursday 6 August.". And those county numbers match the app.

So a bit unclear between the app timestamps and the announcement. Midnight is a messy reference point, is it the start or end of the day.

I was just curious as to where you were getting the Info.

Either way, it's not that much of a difference in the bigger scheme of things.

The daily announcements? They're on gov.ie and generally reported on RTE and City Tribune does a good daily update on Facebook too, calling out any Galway changes.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5e644-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-saturday-8-august/

• Advertisement

There have been no further deaths from Covid-19 and 68 additional confirmed cases, the Department of Health has said.

Advertisement