Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,312 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If it goes wrong in a church setting its not a good outcome considering the age profile involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder what will Galway Summer Garden do now....:(

Could each pod be classed as it's own individual 'house'?
    Or maybe because they are serving food, they can class themselves as a restaurant outdoor seating area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have you seen how disciplined and well structured the behaviour of people in churches is?

The chances of catching anything there is close to zero.

Whereas sports fans have never been well behaved.

What a load of opinionated generalising nonsense. Can't say I'm surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Friend is home from London to look after his mum for two weeks. The lady that looks after her is on holidays.

Bad news - Someone put a message on his car.

Good news - she was caught on cctv & the car park are reporting her to the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,791 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Friend is home from London to look after his mum for two weeks. The lady that looks after her is on holidays.

Good news - she was caught on cctv & the car park are reporting her to the cops.

Did he self-isolate for two weeks before going near the mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Did he self-isolate for two weeks before going near the mother?

Yes. He went out to Connemara with his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

What kind of message? Unless the car was damaged I can’t see the cops taking any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Have you seen how disciplined and well structured the behaviour of people in churches is?

How many sporting events have you attended where the fans have misbehaved?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Well there were quite a few news stories out of several countries about church goers infecting others during mass. Happened in Ohio, Alabama, Frankfurt and Schwegenheim in Germany and Mulhouse in France. Mainly Baptist churches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Space Dog wrote: »
    Well there were quite a few news stories out of several countries about church goers infecting others during mass. Happened in Ohio, Alabama, Frankfurt and Schwegenheim in Germany and Mulhouse in France. Mainly Baptist churches though.

Probably all that singing and dancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

If we want to get rid of this virus that’s what has to happen.
    I would say open the country fully and accept some casualties, like war.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

See, a lot of casuallties can be prevented, unlike during a war. FFS. People aren't expendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ultimanemo wrote: »

Moronic remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Do you see yourself as expendable as part of these casualties or is that just for other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Leaving a message on someones car (assuming it was a note left on the windscreen) is not a criminal offence. No relevance to Gardai (assuming no damage, criminal or otherwise done).

'Car Park reporting her to the cops' = Management told their customer a story to get rid of her.

PS. What was the message?

-Edit- Happy to be corrected if a stone was used to write the message on the bonnet.

We're at war. War with a virus. There are economic winners and losers. There will be some casualties.

But priests and funeral directors are both telling me that the overall death rate since March is wayyy down on usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Concerning
    Dr Martin Daly, who is based in Ballygar on the Galway-Roscommon border, spent the weekend on duty at Westdoc where many of the patients hail from the eastern side of the county.

During his turn of duty last June at the doctor’s co-op, he referred no case for Covid-19 testing. Last weekend he sent up to 20 patients to the HSE testing centre over the two days.

Half of the patients were children and youths.

It has been a similar situation in his own practice where between four and five patients a day are being sent for testing over the last ten days – the biggest spike in referrals for Covid-19 testing since the height of the pandemic last May.

These patients appeared to be suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection or flu-like illness, with symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, a runny nose and fever.

https://connachttribune.ie/top-doc-warns-of-worrying-upsurge-380/?fbclid=IwAR06zRzCUC5NCKlRN-hgpa8SLIJdlobR9WK4ZcwKKFXtcPt1H_iWIhvhKDk

He sent people for testing last weekend. Average time from referral to test-results is now less than three days, so if they were positive, we'd have heard about increased case-numbers in the area by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

136 new cases + 1 death

New Case(s) for Galway too

51 are in Dublin, 24 in Kildare, 12 in Kilkenny, 11 in Tipperary, 7 in Cork, 6 in Limerick, 6 in Wexford, 5 in Meath and the remaining 14 cases are in Carlow, Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

He sent people for testing last weekend. Average time from referral to test-results is now less than three days, so if they were positive, we'd have heard about increased case-numbers in the area by now.

Anecdotal, but from the experience of THREE different people I know first hand. One Dublin two Galway, none had that timeline happen in less than 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anecdotal, but from the experience of THREE different people I know first hand. One Dublin two Galway, none had that timeline happen in less than 7 days.

Agreed, someone living in Dublin tested Monday, no result yet! Someone else the week before tested Tuesday got results on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

duffman13 wrote: »
    Agreed, someone living in Dublin tested Monday, no result yet! Someone else the week before tested Tuesday got results on Monday

If they were negative then no harm done. I'd imagine they are swamped trying to track the contacts of positive cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If they were negative then no harm done. I'd imagine they are swamped trying to track the contacts of positive cases

Contact tracing is really messy. It is not the smooth thing we are all hearing. Again anecdotal but LOADS of stories from people I know including family members of it not working the way we think (particularly with the elderly, which is worrying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Any of ye know if the latest restrictions allow for a large family meal in a restaurant?

We had a 50th birthday booked with one of the hotels in Salthill for 20 people next weekend. We booked when the numbers were going really low. From our understanding of the new restrictions we can't have any indoor gatherings of over 6 now in restaurants or hotels.

We rang to cancel but they say it doesn't apply to them and they're saying to go on ahead. They're taking bookings for communion, christenings, birthdays. Anyone else encounter this locally? It's all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

LostDuck wrote: »
    Any of ye know if the latest restrictions allow for a large family meal in a restaurant?

We had a 50th birthday booked with one of the hotels in Salthill for 20 people next weekend. We booked when the numbers were going really low. From our understanding of the new restrictions we can't have any indoor gatherings of over 6 now in restaurants or hotels.

We rang to cancel but they say it doesn't apply to them and they're saying to go on ahead. They're taking bookings for communion, christenings, birthdays. Anyone else encounter this locally? It's all very confusing.

I was in a restuarant last night and there were large groups dining, one was a table of 16. It's hard to fathom!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't understand why it wouldn't apply to them? It's not like it's a golf thingy, is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You'll probably be able to split into 4 tables of 5. At the end of the day this incompetent government has lost the support of the public. Do whatever you want to do but more importantly do whatever you feel safe doing

New Home wrote: »
    I don't understand why it wouldn't apply to them? It's not like it's a golf thingy, is it...

They say they have been advised that those limits don't apply to restaurants, yet they're under the heading of restaurants in the Gov advice. The hotels federation came out (in response to golfgate) yesterday to say they understand the current limits are 50 and I haven't seen them be corrected...? Maybe all the hotels are taking advice from them.

Are they just being widely ignored or am I misunderstanding the restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They say they have been advised that those limits don't apply to restaurants, yet they're under the heading of restaurants in the Gov advice. The hotels federation came out (in response to golfgate) yesterday to say they understand the current limits are 50 and I haven't seen them be corrected...? Maybe all the hotels are taking advice from them.

Are they just being widely ignored or am I misunderstanding the restrictions?

If the hotel say it's fine then what's the issue. If you're not happy doing it then don't, it's your decision.

• Advertisement

If the hotel say it's fine then what's the issue. If you're not happy doing it then don't, it's your decision.

But have we lost the whole solidarity across society that we're all in this together? Following the same restrictions.

Golfgate obviously didn't help and house parties have been happening but surprised to see prominent local businesses appearing to be openly ignoring the restrictions now too.

Advertisement