Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Yes

26 are in Kildare, 13 in Dublin and the rest of the 17 cases are in Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Westmeath and Wicklow

Thanks for this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks for this

You can use this link to get the daily detailed updates from the Department of Health.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publications/?q=&sort_by=published_date&organisation=department-of-health

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Really? I've a few of them that I planned on using during the winter. What's the issue with them?

Here's the link again, this was published on the 7th.
    New Home wrote: »
    Recent official research on the effectiveness of various types of facemasks here: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full

Basically, that type of material breaks up and "scatters" the particles even more. They've charts, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive. Furthermore, the performance of the valved N95 mask is likely affected by the exhalation valve, which opens for strong outwards airflow. While the valve does not compromise the protection of the wearer, it can decrease protection of persons surrounding the wearer'

Thanks, knew that cotton was good but this is worth knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They are PPE, if they block on the way out they block on the way in too so it’s silly to suggest that they don’t provide at least some level of protection for the wearer also.

Masks don't cover your eyes. You should assume they are not protecting you (even if they do provide some protection).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Masks don't cover your eyes. You should assume they are not protecting you (even if they do provide some protection).

This is dangerous talk, you need to read up & educate yourself. If you’ve any questions ask, I mightn’t be a expert but someone on here will help you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

saabsaab wrote: »
    'We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive. Furthermore, the performance of the valved N95 mask is likely affected by the exhalation valve, which opens for strong outwards airflow. While the valve does not compromise the protection of the wearer, it can decrease protection of persons surrounding the wearer'

Thanks, knew that cotton was good but this is worth knowing.

I don't think we would call that material fleece. Fleece is dense, many fleeces are windproof. That looks like a thin material often called a snood. If you can see through it then it's not going to be very effective.

This is dangerous talk, you need to read up & educate yourself. If you’ve any questions ask, I mightn’t be a expert but someone on here will help you

I've read the WHO technical document which sparked the Irish govt advice to use masks when social distancing is not possible.

Have you?

People assuming that masks protect them is what is dangerous. Use them, for sure, because they may protect other people from you. But don't assume they will protect YOU because they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Reading is not the same as understanding.

You made your point that masks don't replace social distancing, washing hands, avoiding crowds, minimising time spent in crowds, etc etc. However to say they don't protect you is flat wrong. They absolutely can help protect you by reducing the viral load your body is exposed to. The less virus your body has to contend with the less severe the disease is likely to be.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Discodog wrote: »
    I don't think we would call that material fleece. Fleece is dense, many fleeces are windproof. That looks like a thin material often called a snood. If you can see through it then it's not going to be very effective.

A snood is the type of circular scarf, not the material it's made of. Fleece is the material, there are lots of different types and thicknesses just like there are different types of cotton fabric, e.g. gauze and denim.

• Advertisement

Definitely looks like we are edging back towards a lockdown going by the probable announcements this afternoon.

If we continue in this direction hard to see us not going back to something like we were in between March and July, going to be very hard to open schools too if case numbers are not significantly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people still think a mask/cover/visor is mandated to protect them from other people's virus.
    This isn't the case*

Your mask is there to protect others from you.

The government have told everyone to wear masks to decrease spread in the population overall because a lot of people just didn't bother.
    They probably did not realise they would spread the virus by not wearing a mask.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html
    Face coverings or barrier masks are not personal protective equipment (PPE). They are not intended to protect the wearer against viral infection.
    Instead, they may prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others.

* unless you have a real N95 or similar.

I really think that advise is just to stop people overly relying on masks. They absolutely have to offer at least some protection otherwise they would not be preventing it from being spread. If you walk into a sneeze from someone else the mask simply cannot has reduce the amount of droplets etc that you breath in. Otherwise it would not prevent a sneeze of a mask wearer being spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was some speculation in the newspapers recently that the asymptomatic cases in one meat plant may have been asymptomatic due to masks wearing. One Dr suggested that the very close contact meant masks were not strong enough to prevent transmission but that their use may have resulted in workers being exposed to up a much lower viral load which is shown to cause much less severe illness.
    Not proven but it's a possibility.

I really think that advise is just to stop people overly relying on masks. They absolutely have to offer at least some protection otherwise they would not be preventing it from being spread. If you walk into a sneeze from someone else the mask simply cannot has reduce the amount of droplets etc that you breath in. Otherwise it would not prevent a sneeze of a mask wearer being spread.

That is not how they work.

What they do is collect particles (droplets or aerosol) from sick people. So if a sick person coughs the germs they produce don't spread so much. This is why the need to be dry and close fitting.

To actively stop germs that are already out there from coming in to you, then you need to cover your eyes as well as mouth and nose. Masks don't cut it.

The biggest worry with mssks is that they give a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

190 new cases.

Any in Galway?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

48 are in Kildare, 46 in Dublin, 38 in Tipperary, 20 in Limerick, 7 in Clare and the rest of the 31 cases are in Carlow, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow

None for Galway

Madness they are not closing all bars and restaurants again. Makes absolutely no sense to re introduce some of the measures they are while at the same time allowing people to pack into restaurants without even wearing masks.
    That is not how they work.

What they do is collect particles (droplets or aerosol) from sick people. So if a sick person coughs the germs they produce don't spread so much. This is why the need to be dry and close fitting.

To actively stop germs that are already out there from coming in to you, then you need to cover your eyes as well as mouth and nose. Masks don't cut it.

The biggest worry with mssks is that they give a false sense of security.

They still make a difference there is less virus droplets getting into your nose and mouth than if you hand none. How can you argue that they don’t prevent entry of droplets etc on the way in when they block them on the way out.

It’s like saying you can walk through a wall in one direction but not the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Stewball

Madness they are not closing all bars and restaurants again. Makes absolutely no sense to re introduce some of the measures they are while at the same time allowing people to pack into restaurants without even wearing masks.

I can't understand how letting 50 people in a church is grand - but 50 fans in Terryland Park is not.

Crazy.

• Advertisement

Stewball wrote: »
    I can't understand how letting 50 people in a church is grand - but 50 fans in Terryland Park is not.

Crazy.

Or 6 people in a house but any number of people in a restaurant.

We need to go into full country wide lockdown, 2km rule etc along with closing airports and ports this time. Cancel any plans to open schools also, not a chance they can open while at the same time telling people to work from home, limiting indoor gatherings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Most masks may not directly protect you from the virus, and they mainly act as a barrier to stop you spreading the virus unknowingly.

However, indirectly they can protect you.

- They can act as a reminder not to touch your face.
    - If everyone wears one it means less virus particles floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Allowing unnecessary air travel is like trying to drain a bath but leaving the taps running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We need to go into full country wide lockdown, 2km rule etc

Ah stop will you.

Ah stop will you.

If we want to get rid of this virus that’s what has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If we want to get rid of this virus that’s what has to happen.

Zero cases in Galway today. Only cases in 13 of the last 47 days. I believe there has been no deaths during that period. I'd hate to think what you'd want to happen in Galway when it does get bad here.

Stewball wrote: »

Crazy.

Have you seen how disciplined and well structured the behaviour of people in churches is?

The chances of catching anything there is close to zero.

Whereas sports fans have never been well behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zero cases in Galway today. Only cases in 13 of the last 47 days. I believe there has been no deaths during that period. I'd hate to think what you'd want to happen in Galway when it does get bad here.

I'd imagine it'd be house to house calls, anyone suspected of having a cough would be pulled out and brought to a covid-tration camp. Along those lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Have you seen how disciplined and well structured the behaviour of people in churches is?

The chances of catching anything there is close to zero.

Whereas sports fans have never been well behaved.

I think it's crazy if you think of the general age profile and risk factor from Covid of church goers.

The average age of sport goers isn't pension age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I wonder what will Galway Summer Garden do now....:(

Advertisement