Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/suspected-cases-of-covid-19-double-in-galway-hospitals-over-the-last-three-days/

"Suspected cases of Covid-19 have doubled in Galway hospitals over the last three days."

"HSE figures show that there are 16 suspected cases of the virus undergoing general treatment in Galway Hospitals, up from 8 on Tueday.

15 of these tests have been carried out at UHG and 1 at Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Galway cases have doubled in last few days according to this;

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/suspected-cases-of-covid-19-double-in-galway-hospitals-over-the-last-three-days/

Galway is not "keeping it together", we've just been lucky. We don't have some magic formula that other counties don't have to suppress the virus.

The problem is the people who blatantly ignore any guidelines and they are being stupid and selfish. Remember all it took was 1 person to bring it here in the first place so if an asymatic tourist heads out to a packed salthill then that's the type of scenario we need to be avoiding.

I feel sorry for anyone not leaving their house in fear, that's very sad to hear. There is no need to live in fear, just be careful so hopefully they get the help they need.

I for one really hope we don't have to go back into a lock down in Galway so I avoid places like the prom and do the best I can. We need to learn to live with it, hence the expression "the new normal", its not a case of back to the way things used to be in January.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    The actual news is, Galway has 1 new case today. That’s around ~5 new cases in Galway in the last 6-8 weeks. 3 midland counties have experienced recent spikes, focused on meat plant factories and not in the community, so they’ve wisely focused some localised lockdown measures in those areas.

Despite the whipped up hysterics, the BLM protests clearly didn’t cause a predicted 2nd wave. Neither did the walkers/runners/swimmers on the prom. Lots of pubs are open. Many of them have been bending the rules. Race week has come and gone. Yet new case numbers remain low here. The testing centre at the airport is tumbleweed (I drive by it most days).

I’ve no idea why it is, but Galway certainly appears to be keeping this very much under control. Despite people thronging Salthill or not wearing masks properly, etc etc. Long may that continue, there’s obviously no reason to introduce restrictions here. For now. Fingers crossed etc

I can understand that many people are very fearful of this. I have friends and relatives that hardly leave their homes. Personally while I am mindful of it (who isn’t), I am not in fear of it and I’m getting on with things as much as possible. I don’t think it’s fair to call people who you perceive to have different attitudes to your own as “stupid” or “selfish” etc. Everyone has their own problems and issues to deal with.

Suspected cases. Being treated as covid and awaiting test results. Presumably there's a quick turnaround on tests by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’ve no idea why it is, but Galway certainly appears to be keeping this very much under control. Despite people thronging Salthill or not wearing masks properly, etc etc.

Our public transport is far from packed. We have few workplaces which are packed tight like the meat-plants. Even what we see as a "packed" prom still has a lot of fresh air on it. It's warm, so the open pub-restaurants have windows wide open and lots of ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They really need to specify just what threshold a person needs to fulfill in order to be a suspected case. Is it a minimum of clinical indicators? Does anyone know for sure?

I've known people who've gone into hospital for procedures and A&E admissions for issues separate to Covid and their tests have been back in 24 hrs.

I've heard from people who work in the hospital that there have been patients in UCHG that have definitely had covid but have had false negative tests. Their CT etc and illness trajectory showed covid but the test did not. The nurse who ended up in ICU here did so because she was nursing a patient who had a false negative and the proper precautions were not put in place to protect staff on the basis of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The problem is the people who blatantly ignore any guidelines and they are being stupid and selfish. Remember all it took was 1 person to bring it here in the first place so if an asymatic tourist heads out to a packed salthill then that's the type of scenario we need to be avoiding.

Why hasn’t that happened again though? I’m genuinely wondering.
    Barring an awful July we’ve had super weather in Galway since this all started. Salthill is apparently busy every weekend (so I hear). Any pub in town that can get away with the food+beer rules has opened. The street markets opened in market street again a good while back. Initial outcry over it (if I recall they were forced to close the first day) and still, the new numbers are tiny here.

The clusters in the midlands seem to be focused on meat factories. People that work and probably live together in very close proximity 24-7 and don’t tend to mix outside of their own circle. I’m not sure if we have similar work environments in Galway, I would say the large medical device plants we have here probably have more stringent measures in place than a midlands meat factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Suspected cases of Covid-19 have doubled in Galway hospitals over the last three days."

"HSE figures show that there are 16 suspected cases of the virus undergoing general treatment in Galway Hospitals, up from 8 on Tueday.

15 of these tests have been carried out at UHG and 1 at Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe."

I'm just wondering why thse would be "Suspected" cases? If the individuals are actually in hospital receiving treatment you'd imagine they would have test results by now? I tought the test turnaround was roughly 24hrs now & even faster in hospitals.

I'm assuming the App is only reporting "Confirmed" cases and the Galway number on that has only risen by one in the last week.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There is also a lot of people refusing to have tests, multiple GPs have been on the radio highlighting it as an issue that’s on top of people who have it without symptoms. Worse again the people who won’t go for tests are in some cases refusing tests as they don’t want to take time off work which makes the situation even worse.

Testing should be legally required and anyone who goes into a work place after refusing a test with suspected symptoms should be heavily fined and sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Testing should be legally required and anyone who goes into a work place after refusing a test with suspected symptoms should be heavily fined and sacked.

And a swift kick/spank in the bum hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

From reading the main covid thread, some posters there indicated that everyone is a suspected case until the test result comes back.
    My wife is a doctor in a Dublin hospital. I asked her just now having seen this debate here before and never thought much of it. Anyways my wife confirmed what a suspected case is. There are multiple daily tests taken around the country in a hospital setting from people who don't have any symptoms of covid 19 and are presenting themselves for other medical concerns. Not everyone is offered a test and not everyone when offered takes one. So a suspected case in a hospital is largely made up of people in hospital for other reasons and without covid symptoms. But of course there can be a mixture of people with covid like symptoms too. But the wife believes people without covid symptoms largely outnumber those with them for the pending results of a suspected case. She pointed to times when cases were in single digits but suspected cases were much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It looks like outdoors is a low risk activity. I hope the people in salthill have a great time. Maintain social distance and if going indoors wear a mask.

I'm just wondering why thse would be "Suspected" cases? If the individuals are actually in hospital receiving treatment you'd imagine they would have test results by now? I tought the test turnaround was roughly 24hrs now & even faster in hospitals.

Yeah doesn't make sense, most people in hospital are getting same-day results. Don't know how someone is hospital from Tuesday would still be "suspected" on Friday.

Edit: Unless 8 suspected on Tuesday, almost all are negative. 16 different suspected cases Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hysterics over blm march? we were dead lucky dats all no or little virus then.
    ffs if we had an r rate of 5 they still would have marched..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

If there is one thing I've observed in the past few months it's that a decent percentage of society are either incredibly stupid, incredibly selfish or a mixture of both. I'm shocked when on calls in work the amount of people not adhereing to social distancing and going meeting large groups etc..

Unfortunately this is true. This a team effort. And this quite large minority ruins the effort of the reasonably disciplined and considerate majority.

Shop St. High St. Just Now

e9394ded96.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Big volleyball net on the beach in salthill, must be a tournament on

Shop St. High St. Just Now

e9394ded96.JPG

Salthill is a different story

Looks like a full day of glorious Sparching weather - would love if they could pause this pandemic for a day and go grab a bag of cans! Going to get mad busy down there later. A distanced can elsewhere might be called for.

https://twitter.com/writerseamus/status/1292065481441128449?s=19

Looks like a full day of glorious Sparching weather - would love if they could pause this pandemic for a day and go grab a bag of cans! Going to get mad busy down there later. A distanced can elsewhere might be called for.

https://twitter.com/writerseamus/status/1292065481441128449?s=19

Only tame compared to what it’ll look like this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Salthill is a different story
    Is it jammers?

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    Is it jammers?

Was this morning, people had set up a volleyball net on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was this morning, people had set up a volleyball net on the beach

Which I saw and thought it was very in considerate of them taking over such a large section of the beach, not fair on all the people trying to find an area for themselves to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Big volleyball net on the beach in salthill, must be a tournament on

How is that Covid related? Outdoor sports events are alliwed again

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Which I saw and thought it was very in considerate of them taking over such a large section of the beach, not fair on all the people trying to find an area for themselves to sit down.

Agreed

How is that Covid related? Outdoor sports events are alliwed again

CovId CHAT thread

Just passed about half hour ago & there was a weeding in the chruch, Bride & Groom were just out & the gathering was small. Beautiful day for it & lovely to see.

Can't say I noticed anything alarming from Nile Lodge to Blackrock to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Just passed about half hour ago & there was a weeding in the chruch, Bride & Groom were just out & the gathering was small. Beautiful day for it & lovely to see.

Fair play to them, it was getting very unkempt

:pac:

Any of you notice the COVID App is draining your battery from full to empty in a matter of a few short hours today?

Have it since launch without issue, but today it drained my phone from fully charged to empty in 4 hours.

Samsung popped up a warning identifying the App as the culprit.

174 cases, 1 new death. At least one new Galway case.

2nd wave... :-/

• Advertisement

One more death & 174 new cases today

Advertisement