Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

kilburn wrote: »
    Not getting into it as I will get a ban or warning for you dragging the thread off topic.

Everyone else will lose out when thread is closed again then.

Been to Ratkeale many times used to work there lovely town lovely people they keep to themselves and bother no one.

Spike in cases in Rathkeale was due to people returning home from across the continent during lockdown.

Same thing would happen anywhere with a large influx of locals returning home.

Not sure what is causing the spike in NCW though is it down the football?

Because NCW has a very similar demographic to Rathkeale, and a similar demographic to Askeaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wear a face shield (i have cystic fibrosis) so it's hard enough to even wear that , I simply can't wear a mask , i work in a spar but i'm behind the perspex all the time , they're not as good as masks agreed but to say they're pointless is silly

They are pointless - they only block 2% of potentially harrmful aersosols.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So your saying if i sneeze full belt with a face shield on , that it'll only stop 2 % of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

YUSS

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/visors-verdict-they-don-t-work-and-may-actually-spread-coronavirus-1.4375916
    Dr Robert’s concerns about the increasing popularity of face visors instead of face masks and their ineffectiveness were echoed by UCD engineer Dr Kevin Nolan.

The academic has spent recent months working out of the Mater Hospital in Dublin deploying various technologies based around light, mirrors and lasers to display how far virus carrying droplets can travel and how long they can linger in the air.

He has also been able to demonstrate how effective or otherwise face coverings and visors are. "Face visors just don’t work,” Dr Nolan told The Irish Times.

Using what is known as Schlieren technology – a physics principle dating back more than a century which relies on high-spec mirrors and light to show the density of fluids and gases and the speed and distance they can move when people breathe, cough and sneeze – he has demonstrated that visors offer little or protection for a wearer.

The way visors are designed mean that anyone wearing one can easily inhale the aerosols around them as the visors offer virtually no protection,” Dr Nolan said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

On a side note, are Limerick GPs testing if there's a confirmed case at work? Himself got a call saying they don't think he's impacted but they're deep cleaning the place as a precaution. He hasn't been feeling 100% this week but we thought it was the change in weather because he only leaves the house for work (I do the weekly shop because I'm WFH). He hasn't had a call from contact tracing but wondering if its safer to just ring the GP tomorrow?

If you have a reasonable GP just discuss it with them.

Is it a job he can do from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

If you have a reasonable GP just discuss it with them.

Is it a job he can do from home?

He's been in the office since lockdown began. If he went WFH, someone else on his team would have to go in.

Might try see what the GP says, better safe than sorry. Just wondering if anyone had hit a dead end trying to get a test this way. No contact tracing call, but he could have used the same kitchen area or toilets as the positive case so hard to tell.

Might try see what the GP says, better safe than sorry. Just wondering if anyone had hit a dead end trying to get a test this way. No contact tracing call, but he could have used the same kitchen area or toilets as the positive case so hard to tell.

We were in the same position after explaining situation to the GP they didn't hesitate to recommend a test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd say GP's err on the side of caution and would recommend a test anyway. Aside from my own thought that a GP would be better safe than sorry, we now also live in the times of suing for everything, so no doubt someone will eventually take a GP to court for not recommending they go for a test and subsequently find out they have it. People are dicks so it would definitely happen.

Was back at the local shop, every single person wearing a mask, staff and all, except for 2 little shytes who think they didn't need it. Lads must be 15/16, walking around the shop, aisle to aisle, on their phones, laughing, joking, pushing each other. As they went to pass me, I asked where their masks are, and after the initial "Ugh, someone is speaking to me" look, they said they forgot them, so I said get back on your fcuking bikes (they were outside the shop) and go get them. Went about my shopping, didn't see them again, bikes gone. Waiting on the phonecall from the Gardai now for cursing at the poor angles.

Just, why can't people just wear something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I'd say GP's err on the side of caution and would recommend a test anyway. Aside from my own thought that a GP would be better safe than sorry, we now also live in the times of suing for everything, so no doubt someone will eventually take a GP to court for not recommending they go for a test and subsequently find out they have it. People are dicks so it would definitely happen.

Was back at the local shop, every single person wearing a mask, staff and all, except for 2 little shytes who think they didn't need it. Lads must be 15/16, walking around the shop, aisle to aisle, on their phones, laughing, joking, pushing each other. As they went to pass me, I asked where their masks are, and after the initial "Ugh, someone is speaking to me" look, they said they forgot them, so I said get back on your fcuking bikes (they were outside the shop) and go get them. Went about my shopping, didn't see them again, bikes gone. Waiting on the phonecall from the Gardai now for cursing at the poor angles.

Just, why can't people just wear something.

Fair play you should have seen the scumbags in the Green park stores on Friday night..all girls/women in PJ's no masks roaring and shouting.Also poor kids in tow

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Can we try not to get this thread closed again?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Can we try not to get this thread closed again?

Is it wrong to say the Traveller community are spreading the virus and ignoring precautions and testing?
    This goes for us settled folk too but they wanted ethnic status so I can call them Travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,145 ✭✭✭✭phog

So your saying if i sneeze full belt with a face shield on , that it'll only stop 2 % of that ?
    Mc Love wrote: »

This does not answer the question raised by brianregan09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

phog wrote: »
    This does not answer the question raised by brianregan09

Yeah it does... "International studies have shown that while high-grade N95 face masks blocked 99 per cent of aerosols and surgical mask blocked 59 per cent of aerosols, face shields or visors blocked only 2 per cent of potentially harmful aerosols."

Here's a video which demonstrates how useless visor are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3zi7YczkY

The dogs on the street know this is true but some people on this thread are taking offence by proxy. Unless we deal where the outbreaks and clusters are, we'll never get through this.

I think it's more a case of we don't want the thread closed again rather than offence by proxy.

Interesting story on RTE & Limerick Leader litter survey showing that PPE is now common rubbish across the country and the city has lost its clean status.

There are face masks thrown on the ground pretty much everywhere across the city it really is disgusting.

Rubbish and dog dirt is bad but dumping a potentially contagious face mask is just rank.

Outside secondary schools is pretty bad too, really don't get why people think it's ok to do that.

Are there any council by laws where the City Council can show leadership and request or bring in by laws for mask wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He's been in the office since lockdown began. If he went WFH, someone else on his team would have to go in.

My GP was reluctant but I got the test in a similar situation. If he's not feeling great and you have access to a thermometer give that a go as well even just to ease your mind a little

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

bigpink wrote: »
    Is it wrong to say the Traveller community are spreading the virus and ignoring precautions and testing?
    This goes for us settled folk too but they wanted ethnic status so I can call them Travellers

I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that there have been outbreaks among Limerick travellers but there is no evidence that they are breaking rules or dodging tests any more than anyone else so all your gonna do is get this thread shut down again

Yeah it does... "International studies have shown that while high-grade N95 face masks blocked 99 per cent of aerosols and surgical mask blocked 59 per cent of aerosols, face shields or visors blocked only 2 per cent of potentially harmful aerosols."

Here's a video which demonstrates how useless visor are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3zi7YczkY

This quote is not in the quote from McLove which I said was not answering the question.

I'm on work PC so can't look at YouTube clips so can't comment on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

phog wrote: »
    This quote is not in the quote from McLove which I said was not answering the question.

I'm on work PC so can't look at YouTube clips so can't comment on that

It’s in the article he linked to, where his quote is from though.

It’s in the article he linked to, where his quote is from though.

I know that now but why the christ would he quote something from an article that doesn't answer the question he was trying to answer - mind boggling

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

One person banned from the forum for a week. Anyone else wants to join them, please let me know.

I'm not aware of any studies showing the members of the travelling community are flouting rules. If you have that to support your argument, please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/580322/limerick-school-sends-sixth-year-students-home-after-a-number-of-positive-covid-19-cases-confirmed.html

"A WHOLE year of students has been sent home after a number of positive Covid-19 cases were confirmed at a school in Limerick. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Treepole wrote: »
    Because NCW has a very similar demographic to Rathkeale, and a similar demographic to Askeaton.

Edit: Poster disagrees strongly.

That School is actually a cluster didn't realise that

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Picture this everyone, before you post. Think about who is going to read it. You may have strongly held opinions. You may even be right. If it's not 100% factual though, that can cause trouble. If you wouldn't be happy with having your comment posted to the front page of your local newspaper, with your name and address attached, then don't post it here.

oJNw24Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

That School is actually a cluster didn't realise that

Is it a city school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

maebee wrote: »
    Is it a city school?

No

Car99 wrote:
    No

Must be a second school you are referring to as the one I presumed the article is about is very much a city school where all 6th years were advised to stay home for this week.

Full class sent home from local national school as well both of above schools on the Northside of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Must be a second school you are referring to as the one I presumed the article is about is very much a city school where all 6th years were advised to stay home for this week.

Full class sent home from local national school as well both of above schools on the Northside of city.

Must be a second school as the one I'm referring to in 20 miles outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there any reason why the schools in question can't be named here??

A member of staff in our after school has been identified as a close contact so it's back to a double pick up which is tricky to say the least when working from home.

I know there's lots of people worse off but I don't know how sustainable any of this is in the medium to long term both for ourselves and people in general

• Advertisement

I haven't named as wasn't sure it's allowed

Maybe MODS can advise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement