Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KTuohy

For anyone on the Dublin panel from batch 1 just to update on progress.

I was 22 open, 34 interdepartmental.

I just got called off the interdepartmental panel so anyone 35 or above may be in with a shot of progress before Christmas.

Good luck to all going through interviews before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobbobthebob

KTuohy wrote: »

I just got called off the interdepartmental panel so anyone 35 or above may be in with a shot of progress before Christmas.

I just got a message from PAS which indicates they are at the end of placing anyone on the batch 1 panel so number 1 on batch 2 will be started on next. Looks like maybe only 2 left from batch 1 before they move onto the batch 2 cohort like myself. Dublin and Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KTuohy

I just got a message from PAS which indicates they are at the end of placing anyone on the batch 1 panel so number 1 on batch 2 will be started on next. Looks like maybe only 2 left from batch 1 before they move onto the batch 2 cohort like myself. Dublin and Kildare

I scraped through so.

I flipped the numbers, I was 34 on open and 22 interdepartmental. Maybe I was the last on both lists but maybe there's someone else waiting to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thanks for these.

If they call anyone else up before Christmas, then they should reach me. That said, if they are anything like me, they will be on holidays from Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rosia

Just got results and failed in just Leadership at 35. Really, really disappointed after all the effort at every stage. Is there any way to get proper feedback or the notes from the interview? Congratulations to those who made it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Rosia wrote: »
    Just got results and failed in just Leadership at 35. Really, really disappointed after all the effort at every stage. Is there any way to get proper feedback or the notes from the interview? Congratulations to those who made it through.
    Got the same result, a bit gutted but I'd love to know as well how I failed in leadership. But the whole process was a huge learning experience so I'm trying to take the positives from it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Rosia wrote: »
    Treetirty wrote: »
    Got the same result, a bit gutted but I'd love to know as well how I failed in leadership. But the whole process was a huge learning experience so I'm trying to take the positives from it

This happened to me and many others in 2018. I was very disappointed but others encouraged me to take it as a polite 'try again next time'.

You can ask for feedback and for a copy of the interview notes, which will be posted to you. The feedback is minimal, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobbobthebob

Ravelleman wrote: »
    This happened to me and many others in 2018. I was very disappointed but others encouraged me to take it as a polite 'try again next time'.

You can ask for feedback and for a copy of the interview notes, which will be posted to you. The feedback is minimal, sadly.

Same with me in last go. Got 37 in leadership and 49 now. Difference between then and now is I took on a more staff managing oriented role over past two years. Everything else remained around the same score. I suppose I was able to tap into multiple examples this time unlike last time around. Best advice is to keep changing your role if you can to expand your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Andre2020

Thanks for letting us know! What department did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Did the interview on Tuesday and found out yesterday I received an OOM. Very happy, and rather surprised. Really sorry to those who did not make it through, found the interview tough enough and finished with zero idea of how I did. Would love to know how quickly this will move now - understand from previous posts they are just starting on batch 2 and I think those who did interviews this week are batch 3? Might drop PAS a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just got a mail from PAS inviting me to Stage 2 so another Dublin batch has been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Toulouse wrote: »
    Just got a mail from PAS inviting me to Stage 2 so another Dublin batch has been called.

Same here... First contact since initial assessment in the summer. Stage 2 is Video interview

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Same here... First contact since initial assessment in the summer. Stage 2 is Video interview

Me too.. so much for a relaxing Xmas break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Good luck all!

Wonder how far down they've gone this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Any word on progress in the Waterford/Cork panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

FGR wrote: »
    Any word on progress in the Waterford/Cork panels?

Nope waiting on Waterford myself

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Not gonna attend... So best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Me too! I better go easy on the auld vino over Christmas!

I've just started following this thread, so apologies if I missed it but how have people found the video stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mbwb wrote: »

I've just started following this thread, so apologies if I missed it but how have people found the video stage?

What number have they called for the Dublin panel to stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

billyhead wrote: »

My score was 117 - my oom for open was 729 and for interdepartmental oom 480 (Dublin)

online video to be completed between 6 Jan and 11 Jan.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    I got 116 and about early 800s on open amd early 500 on ID.

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Not gonna attend... So best of luck

Thanks..
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it's because you have already been promoted internally or an equally lovely reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Pdbtsi wrote: »
    Did the interview on Tuesday and found out yesterday I received an OOM. Very happy, and rather surprised. Really sorry to those who did not make it through, found the interview tough enough and finished with zero idea of how I did. Would love to know how quickly this will move now - understand from previous posts they are just starting on batch 2 and I think those who did interviews this week are batch 3? Might drop PAS a line.

Congratulations, I’m a bit late to the party but I recieved an OOM too. How did you get on with PAS? Does anyone know how it works with regards to the open and indepartmental, how do they decide which gets called etc? I got 13 on the open OOM so just trying to get a feel for where that sits in the grand scheme of things!

Commiserations to those who didn’t get through, disappointing at the last stage but hopefully it won’t be as hard next time when you’ve been through it before.

Definitely hard to get everything into 3 minutes. Practice a lot and time yourself, aim to get your answer out in 2:45 in practice, leaving you extra time in case you stumble etc. In the video. I know a couple of people had notes as prompts, myself included. Just make sure you’re not staring at them all the time, looking up, making eye contact.., like a presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chomper57

I got 116 and about early 800s on open amd early 500 on ID.

Thank you, I’ve really appreciated the thread and the updates.

Can I ask if any number lower than 116 on the open competition been called for this next set of Stage 2 Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Definitely hard to get everything into 3 minutes. Practice a lot and time yourself, aim to get your answer out in 2:45 in practice, leaving you extra time in case you stumble etc. In the video. I know a couple of people had notes as prompts, myself included. Just make sure you’re not staring at them all the time, looking up, making eye contact.., like a presentation!

I don't know how much I should admit to this but if you set up well you can fully read it and still look like you're looking at the camera... I had my answers on a word document on my laptop. I then used the laptop screen to prop up my phone to record the videos; so the answers were just to the right of the camera. I didn't intend to fully read the answers but I ended up doing pretty much that and I passed; have been an AP now for 4 weeks.

HannahR31 wrote: »
    I don't know how much I should admit to this but if you set up well you can fully read it and still look like you're looking at the camera... I had my answers on a word document on my laptop. I then used the laptop screen to prop up my phone to record the videos; so the answers were just to the right of the camera. I didn't intend to fully read the answers but I ended up doing pretty much that and I passed; have been an AP now for 4 weeks.

If it works, it works! Hard to get the full answer on a strict time limit without some notes.

How are you finding the new role? Did you come from private or public already? Really interested to hear how people are getting on ☺️

Congratulations, I’m a bit late to the party but I recieved an OOM too. How did you get on with PAS? Does anyone know how it works with regards to the open and indepartmental, how do they decide which gets called etc? I got 13 on the open OOM so just trying to get a feel for where that sits in the grand scheme of things!

Commiserations to those who didn’t get through, disappointing at the last stage but hopefully it won’t be as hard next time when you’ve been through it before.

Congratulations! I emailed - they couldn't tell me how quickly the panel will move but they did tell me where I sit in the grand scheme of things - i.e. how many people in total in front of me from all batches - and said I'd be welcome to check back in on progress in the coming months. Might send them another message end of Jan. I'm only on open, so don't know how inter-departmental works.

If it works, it works! Hard to get the full answer on a strict time limit without some notes.

How are you finding the new role? Did you come from private or public already? Really interested to hear how people are getting on ☺️

I echo this! Would love to hear how newcomers are finding the role.

• Advertisement

I had notes in front of me and it was definitely obvious I was referring to them every now and then. I highlighted certain sentences so they were easier to catch at a glance, but you could def tell I had notes. Didn't seem to matter though. I'd say I found the video the easiest of all the stages cause you have so much time to practice.

Advertisement