Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

AMR_83 wrote: »
    Congrats on passing those stages. Did you get a placement?
    Really appreciate you taking the time to reply with your experience / tips.... it DOES make sense!

Another good time-saving tip I read here, and used myself - once you've gotten a hang of who everyone is, you could consider sending a blanket email to the group introducing yourself and giving any key information. I found otherwise I would have had to introduce myself at the beginning of every email I wrote so it definitely saved me some time.

And don't be afraid to delegate - I was worried I delegated way too much!

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Thanks so much and delighted it makes sense. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me on here!

No placement yet, I’m in batch 2.2 with 13 on the order of merit so I think it might be around April or so, we’ll see!

April would be amazing - as each day goes I become more convinced I won't get called until towards the end of the year! Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Pdbtsi wrote: »
    Another good time-saving tip I read here, and used myself - once you've gotten a hang of who everyone is, you could consider sending a blanket email to the group introducing yourself and giving any key information. I found otherwise I would have had to introduce myself at the beginning of every email I wrote so it definitely saved me some time.

That is such a good idea, I was wasting so much time introducing myself in each email. For the last few I just gave up doing it!

I definitely delegated a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

April would be amazing - as each day goes I become more convinced I won't get called until towards the end of the year! Fingers crossed.

Oh no, what makes you think that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Well done to all who have been appointed. Any fellow country bumpkins out there a bit disillusioned by this whole process? I was in the first batch in my regions and have passed all the stages so far and waiting for an interview but nothing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Well done to all who have been appointed. Any fellow country bumpkins out there a bit disillusioned by this whole process? I was in the first batch in my regions and have passed all the stages so far and waiting for an interview but nothing yet.

im the same its a joke of a system, probably wont accept if i get offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AMR_83

Great tips, thanks so much!

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Oh no, what makes you think that?!

I'm not sure, but worried that they have to get through an entire batch of placements before reaching ours? Not basing it on any actual knowledge, probably just being pessimistic!

Hi all, new to the thread.... so will take me a while to catch up! :)

I was notified yesterday that I passed the video interview (delighted!) and have been invited to the e-tray exercise. This is my first time going for a Public Jobs Comp (I'm coming from the private sector) -- would be SO appreciative if folks had any key tips for the exercise, how to prep (???), what their looking for, etc. Thanks so much, this is a whole new world for me LOL!

Well I just finished the E-tray exercise and I'm certain I have not done enough to pass... it was very intense, I got super flustered, and I left a number of unanswered E-mails in my inbox (way too many) :mad: Oh well.... it was good experience for my first time; will be sure to do better next time. Good luck to everyone else going through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trucker

Well done on getting this far AMR. Reading back on this thread I wouldn't feel too disheartened if I were you, leaving some unanswered isn't the end of the world...its quality not quantity! I completed the exercise yesterday too, it certainly was intense, and a very new experience to me. I mostly pushed meetings out by a week or two, and I'm questioning this now! I delegated a bit, but not enough!

Does anyone know roughly how long we wait for the results?

• Advertisement

trucker wrote: »
    Well done on getting this far AMR. Reading back on this thread I wouldn't feel too disheartened if I were you, leaving some unanswered isn't the end of the world...its quality not quantity! I completed the exercise yesterday too, it certainly was intense, and a very new experience to me. I mostly pushed meetings out by a week or two, and I'm questioning this now! I delegated a bit, but not enough!

Does anyone know roughly how long we wait for the results?

Thanks, and well done to you too. It was hard, wasn't it??

I think it was a couple of weeks for results, based on previous posts, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

I did the etray on Tuesday as well and found it intense, like you Trucker I don't think I delegated enough, and I pushed out meetings too, I didn't answer one that I think was important :( and I spent too much time at the beginning, trying to take notes on who was who in my team from the background info and not realising that the clock was already ticking.

AMR, you may have done better than you think (I'm hoping this is the case for me anyway, but I'm not too confident) We'll find out soon enough.

Good luck to you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

Oh dear, I did the etray this morning and I'm definitely not happy with it. Time just disappeared at the end. I'd be shocked if I pass that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

HelloPeeps wrote: »
    Oh dear, I did the etray this morning and I'm definitely not happy with it. Time just disappeared at the end. I'd be shocked if I pass that.

Likewise. Time just flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Hi all. I'm waiting to be called to Interview stage. Has anyone else outside of Dublin and surrounds been called yet for the final stage? Thanks. P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big big loader

Im in the same boat. Waiting for interview - etray results on 6th December and no word of interview as yet. I wonder when you do get an email re interview, do they give you much lead in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Im in the same boat. Waiting for interview - etray results on 6th December and no word of interview as yet. I wonder when you do get an email re interview, do they give you much lead in time?

In the first batch, I got 12 days notice (incl weekends). Got the message on a Wed and the interview was the Monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Announcement: they have reached batch two.

Edit: this refers to appointments from batch two.

Does anyone know how many are on the panel for each batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobbobthebob

Does anyone know how many are on the panel for each batch?

There’s about 40 or so on each panel. They are now into the 20’s of batch 2 for appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CLS23

Hi
    Does anyone know what number they are at in OOM for either open or inter?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Holy moly I passed the e-tray; I was dead sure I had failed miserably. Got 3s across the board... not spectacular, but a pass is a pass! *phew*
    So next stage is panel interviews??? Any tips from people who've gone through it? Remember, I'm a newbie (coming from private sector) so don't really know what to expect. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trucker

Congrats AMR, that's great news. I didn't make it, it's so disheartening as this process has dragged on for nearly a year. I got three 2s, and two 3s. I think my attempts at career in the civil service is at an end!

Holy moly I passed the e-tray; I was dead sure I had failed miserably. Got 3s across the board... not spectacular, but a pass is a pass! *phew*
    So next stage is panel interviews??? Any tips from people who've gone through it? Remember, I'm a newbie (coming from private sector) so don't really know what to expect. Thanks :)

me too! 3s across the board, surprised and delighted

Congrats AMR, that's great news. I didn't make it, it's so disheartening as this process has dragged on for nearly a year. I got three 2s, and two 3s. I think my attempts at career in the civil service is at an end!

sorry to hear that

Ah sorry to hear that Trucker; it was so challenging. These civil service comps are crazy; such a steep learning curve. Best of luck for the future.

Mbwb wrote: »
    me too! 3s across the board, surprised and delighted

Yay! Well done Mbwb... onto the next phase ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Two good examples from each competency.
    Also maybe look at who is on your interview panel, it helps if you can reference some real world examples in their area.
    I got AP a few years back on another panel all going good so far.

Good luck!

I am also a bit stunned to have passed the etray, i thought I was a gonner for sure! So the next hurdle is interviews!

I also did the previous competition and got on to the panel but didn't take up the role for various reasons.

The interview was fairly structured, as far as I remember. They tell you at the beginning who will be covering which competencies and ask questions in order, so you know which boxes you should be ticking with your answers. I think 'Drive & commitment to public services values' was addressed across all the questions rather having a specific section. I found that I was given time to answer and then they probed a bit further with follow up questions, or asked for a more specific answer. However, from this thread it seems that one panel asked more rapid fire questions. I'm not sure if that was a change in approach or just the dynamic of the specific panel.

If you haven't already look up the AP competencies to know exactly what they would like you to demonstrate - https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Assistant_Principal_Officer_Level.pdf

If you haven't done competency based interviews before it's worth reading up about the STAR interview method or similar. It is a particular style that takes a bit of getting used to.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Was there a new competition ran this year or is this still a follow on from last year?

Advertisement