Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Oh good. I got straight threes last month also and passed. A good score, I find.

Absolutely! Did you have your interview yet? Hope it went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gestappo

The results you’re all getting for etrays - when were they sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

gestappo wrote: »
    The results you’re all getting for etrays - when were they sat?

Approx 2 weeks ago

Between the 17th and 20th of November, very fast results!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gestappo

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Between the 17th and 20th of November, very fast results!

Extremely quick!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

Hi all, does anyone happen to know what score PAS have reached for Stage 2, Online video recording in Dublin. I had heard it was 120 or 122, I scored in early 100s so just trying to guage the numbers they might be calling and if I might be reached. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Passed e-tray too with all 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

mariagirl wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone happen to know what score PAS have reached for Stage 2, Online video recording in Dublin. I had heard it was 120 or 122, I scored in early 100s so just trying to guage the numbers they might be calling and if I might be reached. Thanks

I think 120 was posted a few pages back. I'm on 116 and hoping to get through on next batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Passed e-tray too with all 3s.

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Will Interviews be held this side of Xmas for those who recently got through the e-tray does anyone know? For regions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

And now an invite to the final interview on 15 December. At least it'll all be out of the way before Christmas!

Wow I'm surprised at that! Great for yis to not have it hanging over you over Xmas.

Pdbtsi wrote: »
    And now an invite to the final interview on 15 December. At least it'll all be out of the way before Christmas!

Same, really thought we wouldn't hear anything until January!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

MrsBean wrote: »
    Wow I'm surprised at that! Great for yis to not have it hanging over you over Xmas.

Generally agree but the only thing I'd say from the experience of doing my 2018 interview around the same time of year then is that it is disappointing to get a negative result right before the holidays. They should wait until early January to issue the results, but I suppose that's another kind of agony!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tipptop123

Hi!! Has anyone here who chose Tipp, Laois or Kilkenny been called to Stage 2 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Tipptop123 wrote: »
    Hi!! Has anyone here who chose Tipp, Laois or Kilkenny been called to Stage 2 please?

I think all regional applicants who scored 120 or higher in Stage 1 were called to Stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Is it expected that another one of these will be run in March/April next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Another one of what?

This panel will run for two years, so it's unlikely that new applications for the position of AP will be asked for before summer 2022, more likely Autumn 2022.

For people who applied for this panel, it's likely that they will continue to pull more batches from it depending on demand for APs.The last competition took well over a thousand forward to the next phase by the time it finished. With Covid-19 and probable belt tightening by the government, this competition will probably take fewer.

Given the progress so far, I'd expect another batch to be taken forward for video interviews before the end of January. Most likely Dublin candidates, with maybe one or two additional counties, since those are most in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobbobthebob

Any idea if anyone has been placed from the panels from the second batch or when they may commence placing? How does it all work!? I’m on the panel and don’t know should I be contacting PAS or just wait until the new year and hope I’m called at some point

Any idea if anyone has been placed from the panels from the second batch or when they may commence placing? How does it all work!? I’m on the panel and don’t know should I be contacting PAS or just wait until the new year and hope I’m called at some point

I would imagine they won't begin placing people from second panel until new year. Fairly certain they are still working through first panel. But it all seems to be moving at a steady pace so I don't think you'll be waiting too long. PAS will contact you when they reach your place on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobbobthebob

MrsBean wrote: »
    I would imagine they won't begin placing people from second panel until new year. Fairly certain they are still working through first panel. But it all seems to be moving at a steady pace so I don't think you'll be waiting too long. PAS will contact you when they reach your place on the panel.

Was there a Kildare panel after batch 1? Any idea how many were on Dublin panel in that batch? Is my number a number relevant to batch 2 only or including a number from batch 1? Sorry for all the questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Was there a Kildare panel after batch 1? Any idea how many were on Dublin panel in that batch? Is my number a number relevant to batch 2 only or including a number from batch 1? Sorry for all the questions!!

yes I'd be interested to know too. Anyone any idea roughly of the number on the Dublin panel? Batch 1 and Dublin batch 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rosia

Preparing for my interview and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or words of advice. I'm trying to get a few good examples per competency but were there any wild card questions? This thread has been a lifeline through the whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blue10

Rosia wrote: »
    Preparing for my interview and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or words of advice. I'm trying to get a few good examples per competency but were there any wild card questions? This thread has been a lifeline through the whole process!

I had my interview a few weeks ago and made the panel for batch 2. I can't say there were any wild card questions, but it was clear that the board were interested in action/result/learning rather than situation or task in terms of the STAR model. They interrupted me a few times to focus on a certain point I had made, or to question some of my answers (e.g. "but you didn't make that decision, surely your senior manager did?") but the key thing is to remain calm and hold your ground and rely on your examples to explain clearly what you did (and in my case how it was indeed me who made the decision in that particular example, even though it would traditionally be taken by an AP in different circumstances). I actually scored the highest in the competencies where they pushed back or drilled down the most, so I think they aren't trying to put you off but to get more out of you.

Best of luck!!

@blue10 thank you, that's very helpful! Hope you're not waiting too long to be placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Andre2020

I had my interview recently also and was placed on the panel. I would have at least 2-3 examples ready per competency. Obviously some may be interchangeable between the competencies depending on the slant of the question. They interrupted quite a bit but mostly to manage time and make sure you get your points. There were also a number of general questions such as, what's your leadership/communication style, challenges of the roles etc. The most difficult part was the sheer number of quick fire questions and making sure to put your best examples forward within that context.

Thanks @Andre2020 that's also really helpful. Congratulations on making the panel!

@Rosia - I've pretty much heard the same as the others have mentioned, quick fire questions, less about the situation and task and more about how you analysed what was needed, what you did, and what the outcome was. A lot of people have recommended I focus on the AP job description and use the verbs in this to create my answers. Time seems to be a big factor so try to be as sharp as possible and start your answers with the verbs i.e. "when leading my team I create clear objectives and goals, in my previous role I was tasked with..." etc.

Good luck to everyone doing their interviews this week, feeling nervous myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Well, that was a learning experience. Toughest interview I've ever had. I had a similar format to all above - they asked really pointed follow ups that can be difficult to answer if you're not ready for them (Which I wasn't for some) and they really focus in on what you've done, not your team or organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 SherpaYup

Are interviews being held all this week or was today the last day?

Advertisement