Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

billyhead wrote: »
    Sorry to go a little off topic but what number after stage 1 have they called?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

Anyone?
    Hi Billy,

There are 2 Dublin batches that have been called and 1 regional batch. These have (to my knowledge) gone to at least the etray stage and the first Dublin batch has had interviews and a panel formed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Hi Billy,

There are 2 Dublin batches that have been called and 1 regional batch. These have (to my knowledge) gone to at least the etray stage and the first Dublin batch has had interviews and a panel formed.

To add to this, interviews for the first segment of Dublin batch 2 are starting on Monday 23rd and running until Friday 27th.

Thanks folks. What number are they up to after stage 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Just finished the etray this evening. Like everyone said, it was mentally exhausting, a lot of information in a short space of time, a lot of it not relevant but still needs to be read. No real advice to give other than what’s already been said but you definitely won’t feel the hour and a half going. The advice here was very helpful though and I would recommend reading through beforehand! Also agree re. The questions at the end, I was so drained I couldn’t think straight!

Best of luck everyone, it’s a great achievement getting this far and if nothing else, the etray is fantastic experience to have!

I felt confident before and during but a few glaring errors are popping up in my head. I honesty think I skimmed too much, assigned and delegated too much. How much did anyone else delve into attachments and start crunching numbers etc. Felt I glanced over all rather than in depth sorting. I dunno 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

This is amazing advice, thank you so much!! Nervous for next week, first time doing an e-tray but everyone's tips on here have been so helpful, thank you all!

Cheers. I wish I had taken your advice before doing it. Ugh. The inevitable 'we regret etc on its way 🥺

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KTuohy

This competition was a bit confusing. My understanding is that I was in batch 1.1/2.1. I reached the qualifying mark and interviewed probably about a month ago now.

I'm on the interdepartmental panel at 22 and the open at 34 (Dublin). If I think of it I'll update here when I get called so people can get a sense of how things are moving along.

Those of you who get to interview, be aware one board member may be slightly adversarial. This seems largely intended to test your composure. So be aware that it's nothing personal - they're prodding to see how you can cope with pressure.

Best of luck to you all.

Thanks folks. What number are they up to after stage 1?

Dublin and Regional are being dealt with separately. You might need to identify which one you are on so that you'll get a relevant answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Has anyone from Batch 1 that did the final interview, but was ultimately unsuccessful, received any feedback?

I have a major gripe in that the structure of the interview did not follow a traditional competency based interview. I fail to see how the quick fire question approach allowed the interview board assess my suitability as a candidate.

I would like the feedback to see where exactly I lost marks, but despite being interviewed 4 weeks ago and requesting feedback twice, I have received nothing as yet.

I can accept being unsuccessful if I know what to improve upon, but the lack of feedback has been a frustrating and a disappointing end to this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

poundhound wrote: »
    Has anyone from Batch 1 that did the final interview, but was ultimately unsuccessful, received any feedback?

I have a major gripe in that the structure of the interview did not follow a traditional competency based interview. I fail to see how the quick fire question approach allowed the interview board assess my suitability as a candidate.

I would like the feedback to see where exactly I lost marks, but despite being interviewed 4 weeks ago and requesting feedback twice, I have received nothing as yet.

I can accept being unsuccessful if I know what to improve upon, but the lack of feedback has been a frustrating and a disappointing end to this competition.

This won't be any comfort, but welcome to Public Appointments Service "meaningful feedback". You might eventually get something along the lines of "Candidate did not demonstrate that they met the requirements of Competency X." My particular favourite in a past competition, where I requested feedback on the e-tray was "Your score is your feedback."

Hugely frustrating, as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This won't be any comfort, but welcome to Public Appointments Service "meaningful feedback". You might eventually get something along the lines of "Candidate did not demonstrate that they met the requirements of Competency X." My particular favourite in a past competition, where I requested feedback on the e-tray was "Your score is your feedback."

Hugely frustrating, as you say.

That wasn't my experience. I asked for and got the notes from my AP interview in the last comp. The notes were detailed. I could see every question and bullet points of my answers. It was very helpful in prepping for interviews I've had since. It didn't spell out where I'd gone wrong but I could work out huge amounts for myself.

I've heard of others who've gotten notes as you describe. Not sure if I got lucky with my note taker or there's been an improved policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That wasn't my experience. I asked for and got the notes from my AP interview in the last comp. The notes were detailed. I could see every question and bullet points of my answers. It was very helpful in prepping for interviews I've had since. It didn't spell out where I'd gone wrong but I could work out huge amounts for myself.

I've heard of others who've gotten notes as you describe. Not sure if I got lucky with my note taker or there's been an improved policy.

Hopefully it's for everyone - if they have improved, then that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Done the etray this evening. I'll be interested to see how I score. I replied to most of the queries but in a very basic fashion. I kind of decided to do that from the outset just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just finished the etray myself, hard going. Found it tough enough answered all except 1. Hard to know if I do e good or bad. Went into a bit of detail for one question and the rest basically just delegated. Hopefully won't be waiting too long for results

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    I felt confident before and during but a few glaring errors are popping up in my head. I honesty think I skimmed too much, assigned and delegated too much. How much did anyone else delve into attachments and start crunching numbers etc. Felt I glanced over all rather than in depth sorting. I dunno 😕

I feel I spent far too much time stressing about reading the attachments and trying to see if I could make any suggestions / analysis until I realised I had no time to do that. I wish now I had just skimmed and focused on answering.

I think I left one half done and another not answered. And I know I didn’t update the calendars properly for all meetings to reflect my email confirmations.

I do think it’s very hard to know what any of this will mean, hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

Irishder wrote: »
    Just finished the etray myself, hard going. Found it tough enough answered all except 1. Hard to know if I do e good or bad. Went into a bit of detail for one question and the rest basically just delegated. Hopefully won't be waiting too long for results
    I feel I spent far too much time stressing about reading the attachments and trying to see if I could make any suggestions / analysis until I realised I had no time to do that. I wish now I had just skimmed and focused on answering.

I think I left one half done and another not answered. And I know I didn’t update the calendars properly for all meetings to reflect my email confirmations.

I do think it’s very hard to know what any of this will mean, hoping for the best!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you both. Really felt the time constraints but managed to at least respond to all but 1 or 2. There's one I know I didn't answer, and there's one I think I might have, but early on I saved a couple of emails as drafts before I sent them to ensure I wasn't sending contradictory information, and I honestly can't remember if ever hit send for one in particular.

In terms of analysis of documents, I just said that I needed more time before any major decision was made and that I would need to consult with the teams reporting to me and see what could be improved, I'm hoping that's what they were looking for in terms of analysis because if it's not I'm pretty fecked.

But with the e-tray it is nearly impossible to know how you've done so now it's just a waiting game and praying we hear as soon as possible!

Treetirty wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you both. Really felt the time constraints but managed to at least respond to all but 1 or 2. There's one I know I didn't answer, and there's one I think I might have, but early on I saved a couple of emails as drafts before I sent them to ensure I wasn't sending contradictory information, and I honestly can't remember if ever hit send for one in particular.

In terms of analysis of documents, I just said that I needed more time before any major decision was made and that I would need to consult with the teams reporting to me and see what could be improved, I'm hoping that's what they were looking for in terms of analysis because if it's not I'm pretty fecked.

But with the e-tray it is nearly impossible to know how you've done so now it's just a waiting game and praying we hear as soon as possible!

The draft thing was very clever, wish I had of thought of that in the moment!

For anyone interested... I read back through the thread and the first batch did the etray on the 4th of Sept and got their results on the 22nd. The second batch did theirs on the 22nd of Oct and recieved results on the 2nd of Nov. Hopefully ours will move just as quickly! I know I shouldn’t be tormenting myself and just forget about it for a while but easier said than done 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Just finished e-tray myself. As others have said, very hard to know how it went! Worried I delegated a bit too much.

My first thought was 'wow, what a super dysfunctional organisation. Hope not reflective of the real thing!'. Seems a relief to go back to my regular job now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Northern Sound

Did ETray yesterday, tough going, does anyone know do you get a score for ETray or is it just pass or fail ?

• Advertisement

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Dublin and Regional are being dealt with separately. You might need to identify which one you are on so that you'll get a relevant answer

Hi Sarahlaois.

I applied for the Dublin stream at both Interdepartmental and Open. Have they just called those with a score of 126 or higher?

Hi Sarahlaois.

I applied for the Dublin stream at both Interdepartmental and Open. Have they just called those with a score of 126 or higher?

Hi Billy, can't help with your query as I'm regional, where they have just called first batch .....those with a score of 126 or more at first stage. Some of the Dublin candidates will be able to update you re same

Did ETray yesterday, tough going, does anyone know do you get a score for ETray or is it just pass or fail ?

Think each competency is scored out of 5 and 3 is the passing mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Hey Billy, first Dublin batch was those of a score of 126 or higher, I think batch 2 was those with a score of 120-125. No idea about batch 3. To be honest, you won't get an exact answer out of random people on a thread, so you might be best off emailing PAS and ask them up to what OOM for Dublin they have called to the next stage? It's just guesswork from us here really.

Hi Sarahlaois.

The first batch was 126 and higher, I’m not sure what the score was for the second, I got 124 and was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Has anyone from Batch 1 started yet? I'm starting Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Andre2020

To those who have already done the interview, any tips for this new 'rapid fire' format? My interview is next week. I have never done a fully structured competency interview before so I don't really have anything to judge it against, but any help most welcome!

Do they ask any general questions, like 'what do you think are the greatest challenges for the CS right now'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Andre2020 wrote: »
    Do they ask any general questions, like 'what do you think are the greatest challenges for the CS right now'?

They have been known to do so, for sure.

Pick a Civil Service strategy of recent vintage at random and this will give you some insight into what is going on and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

A common theme is "doing more, with less".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Could anyone tell me what the required score in the Stage 1 tests for regional candidates was to be called forward to Stage 2 Video Interview

Advertisement