Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Scotty # wrote: »
    The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

Yes - if we do not do what China did.
    In my non-virologist opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Is talking about this or reports of the numbers panicking?

I am not really seeing this crazy hysteria or panic. Most people are sounding sensible enough about it. There is some panic but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what? Other than over prescription of antibiotics in young kids, one of the big reasons for more and more walking around chuffing inhalers allergic to their own shadows is down to too damned many clean freak OCD parents covering their little darlings and their surroundings in dettol. Christ, I know one eejit who has to wear ickle gloves to put petrol in his car in case of "germs". Live a little FFS.

Aaaah, covering pastries in shops is not going to doom people’s immune systems. That’s taking “A bit of dirt is good for you” too far. It’s just plain unappetising more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Speak Now wrote: »
    Currently on same mark as this time last Monday.

it looks like things will drop lower than last weeks drop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Has your head being in the sand for the last few months? It's common knowledge that COVID-19 has a much higher death rather than the flu
    Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Looking at the figures...
    Covid19 - 3% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't know how the maths can be relied on there is thousands me included who won't be going to any doctor or reporting anything if we came down with a flu.

Its a free phone number, all you have to do is call.

Oddly enough if there were 500000 cases and the deaths remained the same amount; you're left with SK's figures (.6% cfr).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

One thing to consider is you can be vaccinated for flu (if you choose to/want to) whereas you can't be vaccinated for Covid-19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Huh?
    If living a little to you is chomping on a manky cake, go for it.

Indeed. Eating a snotty cake is living?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dan786 wrote: »
    BBC has reported that two British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

It said they are both in isolation and recovering at home.

Nine people have died from coronavirus in France.

There are now 577 confirmed cases, 154 more than yesterday.

France takes the lead over Germany.

Until this evening.

When German figures are finalised for today it is going to be appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Covid19 - 3% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

Maybe read back in the thread. It has been explained about 100 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nermal wrote: »
    No point in seriously damaging our economy for what will only be very marginal gains in safety. Life is risk.

So cancelling a couple of flights a day to a highly infected region which currently accounts for 12 of our 13 cases and puts us at risk of a rampant outbreak is damaging our economy?

Let me see? Cancel a couple of flights, or wait until our entire economy is ruined? I know which is the smarter option.

Up to last week I would have said it was safe enough to go ahead with St. Patricks Day parades. Unfortunately after the cases coming in from Italy, we no longer know who is potentially infected, and cancelling parades is probably the safest option.

And still we have cheap and easy access for people to and from the infected region including Italian rugby fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

China's central province of Hubei, excluding the provincial capital Wuhan, has reported zero new cases of coronavirus over 24 hours for the first time during the outbreak, as authorities continued to contain imported infections in other parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

quokula wrote: »
    And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.

And deaths due to flu would be less if more people would get the flu vaccine. I wonder how many people calling for drastic action and are all self-righteous in relation to this outbreak have vaccinated themselves against the annual flu.

I know this is more serious than the Flu with a higher mortality rate, that is obvious. But the sheer numbers getting flu every result in millions of death globally, many of which could also be prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Covid19 - 3% death rate

Actually no, you are as likely to get Covid as you are to get the flue. It spreads pretty much in the same way
    Covid death rate by the way is 6%, not 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Are people being hospitalised because they are so sick or for isolation purposes? just wondering we
    also have asthma in our family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Americans starting to panic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,344 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So cancelling a couple of flights a day to a highly infected region which currently accounts for 12 of our 13 cases and puts us at risk of a rampant outbreak is damaging our economy?

Let me see? Cancel a couple of flights, or wait until our entire economy is ruined? I know which is the smarter option.

Up to last week I would have said it was safe enough to go ahead with St. Patricks Day parades. Unfortunately after the cases coming in from Italy, we no longer know who is potentially infected, and cancelling parades is probably the safest option.

Thankfully communities realise this.

Covid19 - 3% death rate

Not 1000 times more likely to catch the flu no, c19 is spreading rapidly cases announced are only tip of the amount of cases in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is shocking that someone could post such a question 2 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

294 days until Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Covid19 - 3% death rate

Based on those figures it’s 60 x higher death rate. Since nobody has immunity to covid and huge numbers are getting it at the same time the rate of deaths even indirectly from the outbreak will be massive. Think about where people with normal medical conditions go when hospitals and GPS are stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

One of the issues is it seems more infective and has a higher fatality rate. The numbers are smaller now because it's new. The flu is not. Hopefully the numbers stay smaller but right not COVID-19 is a more fatal and more infective virus that then flu.

The really annoying thing is that the above has been said repeatedly on this thread and still people harp on about the flu/ car accidents/ smoking etc.

its not the flu or any of those things and I get that thinking of it as the flu might help people cope but this is different it is early days with it.

Wash your hands and buckle up as this hasnt even hit bad times yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Are people being hospitalised because they are so sick or for isolation purposes? just wondering we
    also have asthma in our family

Isolation; they are treating everyone confirmed in hospital until they dont have the facilities to do so.

Also helps them to study the condition and check to make sure their responses are working as intended.

is this real

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe40 wrote: »
    And deaths due to flu would be less if more people would get the flu vaccine. I wonder how many people calling for drastic action and are all self-righteous in relation to this outbreak have vaccinated themselves against the annual flu.

I know this is more serious than the Flu with a higher mortality rate, that is obvious. But the sheer numbers getting flu every result in millions of death globally, many of which could also be prevented.

Covid19 - 6% death rate

you just can't compare the two at all

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Its a free phone number, all you have to do is call.

Oddly enough if there were 500000 cases and the deaths remained the same amount; you're left with SK's figures (.6% cfr).

Its SK's figures that one should be watching IMO. But even there I think many won't report their illness if its mild I think, thereby driving that 0.6% figure down lower to reach the actual one.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Isolation; they are treating everyone confirmed in hospital until they dont have the facilities to do so.

Also helps them to study the condition and check to make sure their responses are working as intended.

Brilliant thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. But the Mob tends towards panic and hysterics in the face of something they barely understand and the media will whip them up to even more hysterics to sell ads and clicks.

I told someone who was worrying themselves into a heap about this the other day - why is it that the people who are least informed about the virus are the ones panicing the most about it, whereas the people who are the most informed about it (ie: doctors, health professionals etc) are panicing the least?

Do people worry themselves stupid every flu season? Does the thought of catching a bad cold keep them up at night? The smallest amount of common sense on everyones part will keep this largely contained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Mad for the Jacks roll

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement