Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A friend of mine from Wexford was telling me the Thunderstorm they had last night was like something you see in the Med'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy showers here near Tralee since early morning, 15.2C with RH 90%

The air is steamy after the showers, sun breaking through now.

Storm off the W coast out of juice, looks like it is starting to come alive now though inland, cluster of sferics around Baltimore.

mxgVKSf.gif

jxoDTZo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Clouds have cleared here, nice heat and some convection kicking off, day time storms not as exciting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heavy showers here near Tralee since early morning, 15.2C with RH 90%

The air is steamy after the showers, sun breaking through now.

Storm off the W coast out of juice, looks like it is starting to come alive now though inland, cluster of sferics around Baltimore.

mxgVKSf.gif

jxoDTZo.png

Meteorite 58
    I see orange wind warnings for parts could there be a chance of funnel formation due to thunder Storm activity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

A friend of mine from Wexford was telling me the Thunderstorm they had last night was like something you see in the Med'.

After viewing the footage from last night, it’s like a typical thunderstorm in the US or one you’d see in a movie. So rare to get them like that here. But last night that’s what happened in the south!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ZX7R wrote: »
    Meteorite 58
    I see orange wind warnings for parts could there be a chance of funnel formation due to thunder Storm activity

Cant see the warnings on Met Eireann, must be amending them. There is not a lot of shear associated with these storms but Low level convergence yes. Get the right amount of inflow and a big enough cell maybe over some higher ground and could well be chance of funnels I reckon

Nice convergence down along Atlantic coasts.

mxsFKP3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Towers going up now, 11.50am over Counties Clare and Limerick.

XpOhjBWl.jpg

x9wE8AOl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

esposito wrote: »
    After viewing the footage from last night, it’s like a typical thunderstorm in the US or one you’d see in a movie. So rare to get them like that here. But last night that’s what happened in the south!

All too rare as you say.
    The last time I recall having a intense thunderstorm, like the one seen in the footage, was way back in May 2001. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A repeat of the 16th of July 2016 in the W/NW would be nice today, a shame it will be during daylight hours but beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

ZX7R wrote: »
    Meteorite 58

I saw those too but the dates are all over the place on them. Seem to be gone again.

6QFtZsa.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

dmc17 wrote: »
    I saw those too but the dates are all over the place on them. Seem to be gone again.

6QFtZsa.png

My reading glasses are broke I wasn't able to read the small print

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any funnel clouds about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon weather radar down! Come on Met Éireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭eastmayo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Shannon weather radar down! Come on Met Éireann!

Such a time to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

eastmayo wrote: »
    Such a time to go down

Isn't the rain/thunder coming in from the East ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Discodog wrote: »

From the South I understand

It is but presently most of the activity is to the Southwest.

During the two recent months of drought of course it didn't miss a single beat. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Co Offaly here, a fine warm humid day. Plenty of bubbly cumulus about but does not look to have the energy to form big thunder clouds. If not much has changed by 3 or 4, that will be it for this location today, and we do need some rain here. 8mm since June 1st, and a dry previous two months isn't going to cut it.

What a day for the Shannon radar to go down, FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Bubble bubble toil and trouble...

The showers are convective, they don't necessarily "come" from any direction, they can form and build based on the conditions in an area, my basic explanation of the situation, by no means scientific in any way.

Bubble bubble toil and trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Thunder heard just south of Westport

Edit: Good deep rumbles every minute or two

... Clouds bubbling

Thunder here near Tralee, towers going up and gone very dark inland, saw some small mammatus type clouds .

light N'ly here in off the sea

vent_uk_rvg5.png

Just herd a rumble in louisburgh

Big booms west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Shorty69664

Just herd a rumble in louisburgh

Yes, heard it in South Mayo as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Loud thunder now in Castlebar.