Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent strike in Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

This is heading straight for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KildareP

I can see some ominous looking clouds south of me here when looking off towards Naas, reckon they are gonna miss me though as they seem to be heading West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looking west in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The showers are convective, they don't necessarily "come" from any direction, they can form and build based on the conditions in an area, my basic explanation of the situation, by no means scientific in any way.

I understand. Look at the radar for Mayo an hour ago & there's nothing, now a big shower.

But looking at the rain radar, the streamers from the East appear to be following the same track as yesterday

• Advertisement

Just herd a rumble in louisburgh

Just heard one now in Murrisk.

Looking west in Galway

It's what's to the SE of Galway that's going to matter & whether it misses Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Recent strike in Monaghan.

Potent little cell in Monaghan

Look at this monster Incoming

If Meteoradar's projection is right then Limerick is in for a lot of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Nearly continuous thunder from a distance here, seems to be passing to my south. Light rain and sun at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chris2007

looks like something is coming from the irish sea heading towards dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Not hopefull of much here today but the convection north of here heading west is something else, as good as I've seen in a long time.
    I mentioned last night i could see distant flashes from the Waterford storm, even my sister in Cavan town could see it.

Cell to my south still going, can hear separate one approaching from east, less frequent thunder from that one.

Cell to my south still going, can hear separate one approaching from east, less frequent thunder from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Co Waterford last night
    8RTPvUc.jpg

That cell over Mayo has really developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A view of the thunderstorm that passed to the south of my own location in Central Mayo in the last half hour. Made a nice racket as it slipped by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Could you post your location when reporting conditions in your area, please?
    Thx. :)

MOD NOTE: This is a great idea, especially for people browsing the site on mobile phones as the page is laid out differently on these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Very regular rumbles of thunder and some lightning close to Westport for the past 30 mins, but the main action seems to be more to the S and SE. Light shower a short while ago. It is shaping up nicely...

• Advertisement

Just south of Westport.
    Comhra wrote: »
    Could you post your location when reporting conditions in your area, please?
    Thx. :)

MOD NOTE: This is a great idea, especially for people browsing the site on mobile phones as the page is laid out differently on these devices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rumbling and crackling now here near Tralee, so dark and heavy rain starting. Cell moving towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

chris2007 wrote: »
    looks like something is coming from the irish sea heading towards dublin?

Getting cloudier fairly fast where I am (Terenure)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kutebride

What a day for the Shannon radar to go down, FFS.

Just about to say the same thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chris2007

its gone cloudy here in the past hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Tralee has dark skies.. broken cloud.... patches of blue sky...heavy rain...no rain.. in the last hour.
    But plenty of constant, heavy thunder in.the area...have only seen 2 flashes of lightning in that time though

Lightning and thunder about 5 seconds apart here (south of Westport) for the last 15 minutes or so. Fits in with the active cells passing just to my south. On and off heavy rain.

Lightning and thunder about 5 seconds apart here (south of Westport) for the last 15 minutes or so. Fits in with the active cells passing just to my south. On and off heavy rain.
    whole thing was sucked away to the southwest by the sheefry mountains and mweelra, thanks to orographic lift, what a waste of an hour long storm, would have been epic, hope the sheep enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some grisly sounding booms here now. They have the 'gun shot' effect about them.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Biggest storm I have ever witnessed here in Kerry, constant thunder and lightning, crackling with continuous flashes, torrential flooding rain, hail.

10mm in about 10 minutes

Advertisement