Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The show seems to be over now for anywhere away from West Kerry and the Northwest. Bit of a bust for the rest of the country, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Interesting that all the activity seems to be along the West Coast

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Further to my previous post, it is getting darker here (Westport) and distant thunder can be heard to the south:

516374.jpg

While it still a lot brighter overhead with a few sunny spells, it seems we might get caught in the middle and just could get a mighty clash soon as it appears to be approaching from both N-NE and S-SW.
    Looking N:

516375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I assume given where the reports are coming from today i.e. the Wesht and the North that in the South East we will be missing out this time around?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder has returned again to Castlebar and has brought some much needed rain with it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thunder lightening and very heavy shower in Ballinrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Bucketed down rain in Screen and Beltra.
    Thunder and Lightning too. Fork Lightning as well.
    In Sligo town barely any rain

At an estimate I'd say

Screen 15mm
    Ballisidare 3mma
    Sligo 0.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Comhra wrote: »
    The show seems to be over now for anywhere away from West Kerry and the Northwest. Bit of a bust for the rest of the country, tbh.

Bit of a bust in the west also, the thunderstorms have formed into a shower train following the mountains, mostly uninhabited areas. Just rumbling away since early afternoon to the south, very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Distant rumble of Thunder Galway City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

A couple of questions for those who know the technical side of things better:

Are there specific corridors the conditions for thunder and lightening form in Ireland? Or can it form pretty much anywhere over irish or atlantic sea.

How do our mountains and rivers effect it?

• Advertisement

Curtains up, the show is starting in Westport with rain and a few flashes and rumbles. Hoping for an extended programme and a few encores...:D
    Edit 15 mins later: That was only the soundcheck, but I hope they'll be on stage later. Got 2,8 mm, which won't do for the garden. Not giving up hope yet, even though the sun is making an appearance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

Probably a good time to post this as it's busy here..... It's lightning, not lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭pad199207

highdef wrote: »
    Probably a good time to post this as it's busy here..... It's lightning, not lightening.

Well when ya have people saying ‘Whesht’ for West what hope have we got ;)

...unless you're going to give birth. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately with thunder forecasts for Ireland, they quite often die a death or just don't happen. I reckon last night was the main event and that was limited to mostly southern coastal regions. A few sparks today in western areas, however there is the still the possibility these thunderstorms will become more significant in the far west over the next few hours.

risk of more storms tomorrow but probably slightly less of a risk than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Old Radar can't cope with the lightning :pac:

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately with thunder forecasts for Ireland, they quite often die a death or just don't happen. I reckon last night was the main event and that was limited to mostly southern coastal regions. A few sparks today in western areas, however there is the still the possibility these thunderstorms will become more significant in the far west over the next few hours.

A few sparks,??? have you seen the radar and lightning returns!?

Trust you to pour cold water on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah I agree about last night. Would take a good bit now to match those storms in the SE.

Really was a fantastic surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think expectations were too high after the excitement of last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/09/08/the-most-misspelled-word-in-weather-lightning-its-not-lightening/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A few sparks,??? have you seen the radar and lightning returns!?

Trust you to pour cold water on it.

not really pouring cold water on it just saying how it is. There was considerable potential today for a large part of the country and it just hasn't happened. Quite a few of us were expecting thunderstorms on the scale of last night's event through midland areas, many western and northern areas so considering the potential it has been dissapointing. I was never really expecting anything here in the east but was hoping that we would have had several major storms by now in several parts of the country, was looking forward to seeing more videos etc. It is rare for Ireland to have potential on the scale of today and it just hasn't really delivered yet. There is still time to get a decent storm going over the next few hours but if I was living in the midlands I would be very disappointed with today's efforts considering what could have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

not really pouring cold water on it just saying how it is. There was considerable potential today for a large part of the country and it just hasn't happened. Quite a few of us were expecting thunderstorms on the scale of last night's event through midland areas, many western and northern areas so considering the potential it has been dissapointing. I was never really expecting anything here in the east but was hoping that we would have had several major storms by now in several parts of the country, was looking forward to seeing more videos etc. It is rare for Ireland to have potential on the scale of today and it just hasn't really delivered yet. There is still time to get a decent storm going over the next few hours but if I was living in the midlands I would be very disappointed with today's efforts considering what could have been.

The old weather knowledge about local thunderstorms, is that if they don't form by around three o clock, it's unlikely to happen. And in Offaly today while there was a few spits of rain, and greying skies briefly late afternoon, there was never going to be be thunderstorms. They are fickle things. I'd argue equal with a good snowfall is a good thunderstorm and hence why we all look forward to those events, and get disappointed when they bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gerry Murphy on RTE1 said there is a possibility of sparks in North Leinster. Presuming the showers coming in off the Irish sea could erupt overland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Today was pathetic, thankful for the earlier thunder and lightning show but a lousy 1.0mm here today and that'll probably be it for here until next weekend at least.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Today was a very active day for Ireland. Not sure why people are saying it wasn't. It was always going to be a mostly west and northwest event today and that's exactly how it turned out, but with the southwest also putting in a shift. The east was never on for thunderstorms and was never forecast to be. I'm still hoping that the Welsh terrain can do us a favour and kick something up for us here but I'm not holding my breath.

And I'm glad someone finally mentioned the spelling elephant in the room. Not that it will do any good as people will still continue on with the e regardless.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Today was pathetic, thankful for the earlier thunder and lightning show but a lousy 1.0mm here today and that'll probably be it for here until next weekend at least.

I almost feel annoyed with how poor today has performed. Not expecting anything here in the east as usual but I've got relations and friends in the midlands, some of whom are farmers and I told them about today's potential for thunderstorms and the chance of some very heavy rainfall at times if caught under the storms. They are still looking at brown grass, no rain and no thunder and they are kinda wondering what I was going on about!

What annoys me the most is when the charts show similar potential over England and wales you can be guaranteed it delivers and often exceeds expectations. I was really hoping that for once we could have a day similar to that over a large part of Ireland and it just hasn't happened. Perhaps last night's storm in the South-east completely warped what I was expecting on a wider scale today, but it is hard to hide the disappointment. Of course there is still time for somewhere to get something special over the next few hours, but the main potential was this afternoon and early evening.

I reckon the decrease in temperatures across much of the south, east and midlands from the early afternoon has played a part of decreasing the storm risk. From a rainfall perspective the majority of the country is bone dry today. There is still potential for tomorrow but you have to wonder will we even have showers tomorrow in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

You live the wrong side of the border

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

10.4mm in just an hour at Finner, wow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not too shabby I reckon and still going in the W. Never got going in the midlands or the S , Just goes to show the unpredictable nature of thunderstorm development. But I must say that we had one of the best storms that I can ever remember here in Kerry, ended up with 25mm , very hit and miss as is the nature of these events. Plenty more to come up to and including Weds and looks like the midlands, SE and E will feature more over the coming days.

I thought Met Eireanns Lightning Radar was good today, Blitzortung really under showed the storm that went over here, wouldn't be surprised if it missed the lightning discharges by about 40 or 50 to 1.

A lot of Positive Cloud to Ground strikes registered in the storm that went over here.

JYEsIpR.png

XCbbkVN.png

https://twitter.com/Meteorite58/status/1272168616184688642?s=20

C8O2zil.png

8mfufbU.png

3SndeFj.png

OtCFS77.png

xWJuIPO.png

kEFyMMF.jpg

Advertisement