Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Slattsy wrote: »
    Looks like we've ruined Christmas for a lot people. Glorious.

Who got MOTM?

I very much doubt it.
    This AI was won on the day of the Ulster final when the last of any possible decent challenge to Dublin took themselves out of the championship. From then on it was just a lap of honour.

The neutrals don't care and have already forgotten about it and even Mayo fans aren't too bothered. I'd actually say they are pleased enough. They wouldn't have expected to be anywhere near an AI this early in the cycle of that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Not sure why you think he wasn't the aggressor. He was sledging and Higgins reacted.

He talked, Higgins and a few others started the handbags. So hence the were the aggressors. Quite simple really. Philly didn’t react, he laughed at them. So no aggression from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ArielAtom wrote: »
    He talked, Higgins and a few others started the handbags. So hence the were the aggressors. Quite simple really. Philly didn’t react, he laughed at them. So no aggression from him.

He was sledging so he was the aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

Fair enough, but from my perspective you seem unnecessarily petty. As as long as I am alive. I have heard the phrases culchies, jackeens. Even townies used by those in rural ireland between each other to differentiate the farmers v those in town.. Plus typing culchies is much quicker than typing country people, those from rural ireland and so on as far as I am concerned.

Fairly benign phrases in my view, commonly used in everyday parlance in Irish society.

If the phrase culchies somehow offends you I suggest you have a very thin skin and maybe boards.ie might not be for you. Either that or you have very little to be worrying about.

To paraphrase Michael O'Hehir the Jacks are back and the Mayo backs are jacked!

Again, I would say that referring to all other teams and their supporters as "culchies" is narrow-minded and devisive in this forum even considering the excuses you've presented.
    I'd also turn around your comment that Boards isn't for me by saying that maybe you or at least some of your posts are not for Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ah now lad.. i have great time for this dublin team.. u can go back on my posts to see that but u are having a laugh if u think Philly wasnt the guy that started that row....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

robbiezero wrote: »
    I very much doubt it.
    This AI was won on the day of the Ulster final when the last of any possible decent challenge to Dublin took themselves out of the championship. From then on it was just a lap of honour.

The neutrals don't care and have already forgotten about it and even Mayo fans aren't too bothered. I'd actually say they are pleased enough. They wouldn't have expected to be anywhere near an AI this early in the cycle of that team.

Exactly.

He was sledging so he was the aggressor.

And how do you know he wasn’t reacting to sledging from the Mayo lads? The aggression was physical and came from several Mayo players. That’s the only evidence.

And how do you know he wasn’t reacting to sledging from the Mayo lads? The aggression was physical and came from several Mayo players. That’s the only evidence.

I find it hard to imagine you believe what you're saying.

I find it hard to imagine you believe what you're saying.

But you can believe what you are saying, very odd indeed. The only evidence we have is Higgins and his mates physically were the aggressors. You have no evidence otherwise. Both were talking, so unless you were able to lip read and can prove Philly started your are factually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Some amount of sad kunts on this forum. Would you even be bothered going onto a thread specifically dedicated to Dublin to *checks notes* complain about Dublin. Some fellas must lead a sad existence. Why not salute a great team and outfit. No complacency, no nonsense, no drama. Kerry and Donegal, caught by their own hype and they had won fcuk all. Was it Tomas O Se said, they were preparing for a game that will never come. Dublin prepare for the next game no matter who its against and that's the difference.

Money money money, blah blah blah. All the other top counties are just as well funded by private sponsors and have the same or even better top class facilities.

6 in a row, they're a sick bunch of kunts but having met a handful of them on my delivery route around Dublin and socially, they're a sound bunch of kunts from any interaction I've had with any of them. Any lad giving out, or coming onto a Dublin thread to complain about dublin needs to have a word with himself.

Enjoy it lads, cos if Kerry are eventually the team to topple Dublin, it will be oh so sweet and you can bet your ass I will celebrate it.

Guess that's my rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

dobman88 wrote: »
    Some amount of sad kunts on this forum. Would you even be bothered going onto a thread specifically dedicated to Dublin to *checks notes* complain about Dublin. Some fellas must lead a sad existence. Why not salute a great team and outfit. No complacency, no nonsense, no drama. Kerry and Donegal, caught by their own hype and they had won fcuk all. Was it Tomas O Se said, they were preparing for a game that will never come. Dublin prepare for the next game no matter who its against and that's the difference.

Money money money, blah blah blah. All the other top counties are just as well funded by private sponsors and have the same or even better top class facilities.

6 in a row, they're a sick bunch of kunts but having met a handful of them on my delivery route around Dublin and socially, they're a sound bunch of kunts from any interaction I've had with any of them. Any lad giving out, or coming onto a Dublin thread to complain about dublin needs to have a word with himself.

Enjoy it lads, cos if Kerry are eventually the team to topple Dublin, it will be oh so sweet and you can bet your ass I will celebrate it.

Guess that's my rant over.

Easy to prepare for the next game when you don’t have to travel to Ballybofey in mid-Oct in miserable weather but have to face the might of Leinster in your home pitch

Jizique wrote: »
    Easy to prepare for the next game when you don’t have to travel to Ballybofey in mid-Oct in miserable weather but have to face the might of Leinster in your home pitch

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Mayo fan here. Well done to the Dublin team. Even if mayo got closer to Dublin towards the end I have no doubt the dubs would have just clicked up another gear and closed it out.
    Was actually a fairly enjoyable game.
    I've definitely been more disappointed after a final. Yesterday was weird, watching on TV rather than being there. Hopefully we can all go to games again next year. Nothing beats being there.

Well said. Is it any wonder posters are turning away from here when people can set up multiple accounts, that will never post in their own county threads, but will be in every thread about Dublin with the same drivel and faux outrage. Think of the children!!

To have that level of obsession and dedication towards Dublin is not only pathetic and sad, it's actually worrying. People are in a bad place mentally, you can see the anger. You'd laugh otherwise.

The place is like the wild west and a bigger cess pit than the soccer forum.

I know. Tis mad. I'd join in more if it didnt always turn into the same old nonsense. the match thread descended into the usual farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Again, I would say that referring to all other teams and their supporters as "culchies" is narrow-minded and devisive in this forum even considering the excuses you've presented.
    I'd also turn around your comment that Boards isn't for me by saying that maybe you or at least some of your posts are not for Boards.

I have made my point you seem like one of those busy neighbours that is on every road. Taking offence and looking for rows where there are none. Your username almost suits you. Except I would suggest 'Parental Guidance' would be more suited?

And Michael O'Hehir saying the jacks are back also seems to have gone over your head. If anyone referred to me as a Jackeen or so on, I would not find offence. Again I repeat, it seems as if you have nothing better to be doing. In my family and relations the words 'culchies' and 'jackeens' are freely used. If you find it so offensive I suggest one of the following:

A) you ignore me

or

B) You report me

or

C) Cop yourself on a bit

Personally, I think you are proving my initial point in a previous post -

Attacking me as a poster
    An account set up with a few posts. (a year old or not)
    No comments on actual GAA issues - did you even watch the game yesterday and what are your opinions on it?

You seem to have two things that seem consistent -

1) An obsession with me (PM's and everything)

2) Seem to take grave offence to the word culchie (which I doubt is sincere)

I suggest you avoid reading the paper of record the Irish Times as they have also used the word culchie.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/once-a-culchie-always-a-culchie-1.1930844

Also I suggest you avoid Dustin the turkey at all costs:

Or the likes of Republic of Telly

Marty Morrissey said the following about RTE:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/marty-morrissey-the-most-famous-man-in-gaa-1.3560365

Once, he says that he thought RTÉ was for “Dublin 4 types and not a culchie from the wilds of west Clare”.

--

It seems to me you are a fella who has very little for doing and has no actual interest in the GAA itself. It is up to you to prove me wrong. I will looking out for your many comments on GAA issues, tactics, matches, what you thought of a game you say and so on.

I wait with bated breath.

You might want to listen to 'The jacks are back' in the meantime

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Debating the term culchie. Jesus, lads really are letting a football team mess with their heads.

As a fully fledged culchie, it is not a derogatory term generally. Like everything, it has the potential to be. Like if you said to me, gway ya thick culchie bastàrd. That's derogatory. But just referring to someone as a culchie, is not. Crack on gorm. Non offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

But you can believe what you are saying, very odd indeed. The only evidence we have is Higgins and his mates physically were the aggressors. You have no evidence otherwise. Both were talking, so unless you were able to lip read and can prove Philly started your are factually incorrect.

Philly told Marty what was said. They wanted Murchan to be elf on the shelf and he said no. Until Higgins etc come out with something else then that is what happened

Well said. Is it any wonder posters are turning away from here when people can set up multiple accounts, that will never post in their own county threads, but will be in every thread about Dublin with the same drivel and faux outrage. Think of the children!!

To have that level of obsession and dedication towards Dublin is not only pathetic and sad, it's actually worrying. People are in a bad place mentally, you can see the anger. You'd laugh otherwise.

The place is like the wild west and a bigger cess pit than the soccer forum.

Ah it will die down in a while when the league starts again. Many of those type of posters won't even know it is on! Anyway Mayo impressed me yesterday. And to be honest I feel they are nearly there. A bit more experience/nous/cuteness and find two forwards they are set.

I enjoyed it more than the hurling final anyway. Which seemed to be a dead duck for ages. All that happened Mayo is that they ran out of petrol and did not have the bench to supplement the team. That fella Oisin Mullin is like two players he was everywhere.

As for Dublin it will be interesting to see who retires, and if Dessie keeps favouring the same players, and benching Mannion and Howard.
    Also would he give more Na Fianna lads a chance like Aaron Byrne since he knows them well?
    Next year or two will definitely see a gradual change Kevin Mc and MDM did not even come off the bench. Are they considering their future now?

Costello only came on at 70 would he be thinking of going back to the hurling? Or is that just wishful thinking and that ship has sailed?

Sorry you went to so much trouble in your reply but I've already addressed the important points in my previous posts and your post changes nothing for me.
    Debating the term culchie. Jesus, lads really are letting a football team mess with their heads.

As a fully fledged culchie, it is not a derogatory term generally. Like everything, it has the potential to be. Like if you said to me, gway ya thick culchie bastàrd. That's derogatory. But just referring to someone as a culchie, is not. Crack on gorm. Non offensive.
    To many, it's s a term for "an unsophisticated country person" and while it's not always used pejoratively, it's still a pejorative term IMO and when casually used to refer to all other counties and their supporters it is IMO. The fact you call yourself a "culchie" doesn't change anything for me.

• Advertisement

Sorry you went to so much trouble in your reply but I've already addressed the important points in my previous posts and your post changes nothing for me.

To many, it's s a term for "an unsophisticated country person" and while it's not always used pejoratively, it's still a pejorative term IMO and when casually used to refer to all other counties and their supporters it is IMO. The fact you call yourself a "culchie" changes nothing for me.

Debating the term culchie, your lady footballers are playing right now would you not watch them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Debating the term culchie

Mod

There is no need for debate.
    Such a term can, does and will be classified as an uncivil/abusive term and as such a Yellow is generally issued to a poster using it.
    As has already been the case on several occasions.

Do not quote/reply to this post.
    PM if there are any issues.

To many, it's s a term for "an unsophisticated country person" and while it's not always used pejoratively, it's still a pejorative term IMO and when casually used to refer to all other counties and their supporters it is IMO. The fact you call yourself a "culchie" changes nothing for me.

Anyway...

Your opinions on yesterday's game? Does it make the Jackeens the best team ever in Gaelic games? Or do you believe they still have a way to go? Or does it change anything for you?

And more importantly who is your favourite Dublin player? Tomas O'Se picked James McCarthy. Would you agree with this choice ?

Do you think McCarthy's days in the half back line are over? Or would you keep him in midfield?

Or do you agree with Ciaran Whelan's assertion that the future Dublin midfield should be an all Raheny one? Howard and Fenton?

No doubt you have mulled over all these issues, as you must regularly follow this Dublin thread. And as such, I expect a top notch response. Dare I say sophisticated!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yawn

Yawn but true

Debating the term culchie, your lady footballers are playing right now would you not watch them.

Wrong, I'm from neither Dublin nor Cork, so my county's ladies team are not playing.

Wrong, I'm from neither Dublin nor Cork, so my county's ladies team are not playing.

Pre covid19 when was the last time you were at your county's league game in either hurling or football? At any level women's/men's etc Just curious....

3 points in it now. Should be enough the get them over the line. Both teams look very tired.

Well done to the ladies. What a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well done to the ladies. What a weekend.

Brilliant stuff, you can see what it means to them... fantastic footballers and ambassadors for their sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Sinead is a gem. Great performance second half.

Advertisement