Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A good win for the Dublin girls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    A good win for the Dublin girls today.

They'll very likely have a winning streak like Cork's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ah it will die down in a while when the league starts again. Many of those type of posters won't even know it is on! Anyway Mayo impressed me yesterday. And to be honest I feel they are nearly there. A bit more experience/nous/cuteness and find two forwards they are set.

I enjoyed it more than the hurling final anyway. Which seemed to be a dead duck for ages. All that happened Mayo is that they ran out of petrol and did not have the bench to supplement the team. That fella Oisin Mullin is like two players he was everywhere.

As for Dublin it will be interesting to see who retires, and if Dessie keeps favouring the same players, and benching Mannion and Howard.
    Also would he give more Na Fianna lads a chance like Aaron Byrne since he knows them well?
    Next year or two will definitely see a gradual change Kevin Mc and MDM did not even come off the bench. Are they considering their future now?

Costello only came on at 70 would he be thinking of going back to the hurling? Or is that just wishful thinking and that ship has sailed?

Not a hope Howard stays on the bench. Brilliant player. Probably should have started yesterday.
    Mannion seems to be a bit of a confidence player, brilliant if he is in form, offers very little if he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Well done to ladies today great to win again better prepare for some stick now for winning too often .If next season is shorter the older players that got game time will most likely stay on but Dessie will have to introduce some different players in so he will have a harder time next year but he has one under his belt now so deserves the time to enjoy his time before thinking about that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Great win for the girls today. Dedication and application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

robbiezero wrote: »
    Not a hope Howard stays on the bench. Brilliant player. Probably should have started yesterday.
    Mannion seems to be a bit of a confidence player, brilliant if he is in form, offers very little if he is not.

No probably about it. It could have really hurt us big time in that first half. Howard should have been brought on after 20 minutes as well we're getting cleaned out on kickouts. Once Howard came in we were able to split the pack in midfield and free up more options as a result. Dessie got a little lucky yesterday that we were still in the lead at halftime. Hopefully he learns from that and realises he's too important to leave out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How would you rate your winning managers. Personally I'd go:

1. Gilroy
    2. Dessie
    3. Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    How would you rate your winning managers. Personally I'd go:

1. Gilroy
    2. Dessie
    3. Gavin

1 Gavin
    2 Gilroy
    3 Dessie

For me. Why?

Gilroy was the organiser laid down the foundations -

Got rid of the less committed fellas. Went very defensive during the leagues around 2009 and 2010. Plus he tried out a lot of players from all over Dublin. Dublin managed to avoid relegation in the league and avoided defeat against Kerry for the first time in my lifetime in the 2009 league campaign, beating them in Kilarney in the 2010 league game. First time I saw Dublin ever beat Kerry in League/Championship. Gilroy instilled belief as well as organisation.

I know I will get stick for it. I have said it before I believe that the 2011 AI was won against the run of play. And Kerry got caught coasting. Dublin beat the better team that day.

Gavin added that bit extra to Dublin a real analytical approach. I think there are few managers that would have reacted the way he did when a man down v Kerry in the first game in 2019. Pushing Cluxton up to try and level it out on the pitch, and leaving the spare Kerry fella on one side of the pitch isolated. (Donaghy did a great job of analysing it on OTB.

Plus he was not afraid to change his approach the 2014 loss against Donegal was a blessing in disguise. But not only that Gavin won three u21 titles as Dublin manager.

Dessie basically won this years all-ireland with Jim Gavin's team. In a year where he was helped by covid19. Dublin were in badly need of a rest - imo. The spilt between club and county was a great help to the Ballymun lads for instance. Plus the no backdoor system got rid of Kerry and Donegal.
    No super 8's also meant less games. No crowds meant less pressure.

It was probably the easiest path to an AI final for any team in decades. A weak Leinster then playing Cavan who were just happy to be in a Semi-Final.
    I am not saying Dessie Farrell has not proven himself as u21 manager he won in 2014 and 2017. But as Dublin senior manager he is still untested and he can only be really judged in a proper/normal year.

Out of the three men you mentioned only Jim Gavin (currently) goes down as one of the great GAA managers up there with Boylan, Harte, and Micko. Gavin managed to keep the players going. Keep them hungry, make the calls under severe pressure in tight games.
    Plus not only that he won 5 national leagues as well as 6 Sams in just 7 years. Amazing stuff really.

If it was a Dublin top 5 all time list it would have to be:

1) Gavin
    2) Heffernan
    3) Gilroy
    4) O'Neill (One last kick out of an aging team - many players felt if he stayed they would have won in 96)
    5) Farrell

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What age was O'Neill when he called it a day ? About 46 if my maths are right.. that’s super young really. I’d say if he wasn’t so committed to medicine he might have had another crack at it maybe.

Strumms wrote: »
    What age was O'Neill when he called it a day ? About 46 if my maths are right.. that’s super young really. I’d say if he wasn’t so committed to medicine he might have had another crack at it maybe.

Yeah you are correct on wiki says Pat O'Neill is about 70 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Who do you think wins Footballer of the Year?

Heart says Fenton, head says Kilkenny.

I was watching that Christy Ring documentary yesterday. Great job in the editing whoever did it.

When Ring was going for 9 All-Ireland medals but lost in the final to Wexford in 1956 he was carried shoulder high off the field by the Wexford players.

I was wondering would similar respect be shown to another quiet GAA legend off the field (Stephen Cluxton) if the similar ever happened to him?

Would a Kerry/Mayo/Donegal/Tyrone team carry him shoulder high off the pitch? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

I was watching that Christy Ring documentary yesterday. Great job in the editing whoever did it.

When Ring was going for 9 All-Ireland medals but lost in the final to Wexford in 1956 he was carried shoulder high off the field by the Wexford players.

I was wondering would similar respect be shown to another quiet GAA legend off the field (Stephen Cluxton) if the similar ever happened to him?

Would a Kerry/Mayo/Donegal/Tyrone team carry him shoulder high off the pitch? :D

Anyone who puts Cluxton in the same bracket as Ring doesn't know anything about the GAA. Ring was a star par excellence. Cluxton is just one part (an important part) of a machine.

Final will be fresh in the mind. It is normally the player who does well in the final who gets it?

I read the comments on here after the game. Some were saying Kilkenny was playing awful/anonymous. But somehow he still managed to come good in the second half. Three from play and was busy linking play.

Maybe they might give young player of the year to that Mayo young lad Mullin?
    Bugler is in the mix for Dublin as well.

1 Gavin
    2 Gilroy
    3 Dessie

If it was a Dublin top 5 all time list it would have to be:

1) Gavin
    2) Heffernan
    3) Gilroy
    4) O'Neill (One last kick out of an aging team - many players felt if he stayed they would have won in 96)
    5) Farrell

I'm not a Dub so maybe my opinion doesn't matter but for me Heffo has to be No. 1. Why? He took over a team in rag order and had them superior to Kerry for a period. Gavin did a fine job but plus the foundation laid by Gilroy. His main job was not to make any terrible mistakes and success would follow.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Anyone who puts Cluxton in the same bracket as Ring doesn't know anything about the GAA. Ring was a star par excellence. Cluxton is just one part (an important part) of a machine.

But he revolutionised the goalkeeper position in Gaelic football forever. Intelligent use of the ball. I would argue that Cluxton is THE integral part to the Dublin machine. Restarting play, kick outs, weight of pass, able to push up and play as the extra man when required - sweeper keeper.
    And as well he was Dublin's no1 free taker for the long range frees for a while.

What more could you ask for in a goalkeeper?

OK Ring was a phenomenal player with great skill, but a large part of his success was build on natural freakish strength and brute force. He admitted that himself in the documentary. He never met a player stronger than himself.

But he revolutionised the goalkeeper position in Gaelic football forever. Intelligent use of the ball. I would argue that Cluxton is THE integral part to the Dublin machine. Restarting play, kick outs, weight of pass, able to push up and play as the extra man when required - sweeper keeper.
    And as well he was Dublin's no1 free taker for the long range frees for a while.

What more could you ask for in a goalkeeper?

OK Ring was a phenomenal player with great skill, but a large part of his success was build on natural freakish strength and brute force. He admitted that himself in the documentary. He never met a player stronger than himself.

He was very strong but that was not his main attribute. That was mastery of all the skills. For all his strength, he took some terrible punishment, especially in Hell's kitchen aka Tipp defence.

I'm not a Dub so maybe my opinion doesn't matter but for me Heffo has to be No. 1. Why? He took over a team in rag order and had them superior to Kerry for a period. Gavin did a fine job but, as has been done to death now, he had the huge advantages of resources plus the foundation laid by Gilroy. His main job was not to make any terrible mistakes and success would follow.

Fair point actually. A lot of the ground work was done for Gavin he was not starting from scratch. Pillar Caffery did a lot of work prior to Gavin blooding new players as well.

Before Heffernan's got things in order some players were embarrassed to say they played for Dublin. They were seen as a bit of a joke.

He was very strong but that was not his main attribute. That was mastery of all the skills. For all his strength, he took some terrible punishment, especially in Hell's kitchen aka Tipp defence.

They showed him coming off the field with his face covered in blood and or cuts, in a few clips.
    No such thing as health and safety/blood sub rules/helmets then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I doubt it, but I'd say he would hate it if they did.

I'm not really sure what the dynamic between players of the top teams is like now. Do they get on off the field or do they hate each other etc?
    I'd say the Mayo - Dublin relationship between the players isn't great, but I have no idea if that really is the case - I know both sets of players say all the right things in public, but I'd love to know what its like in private.

• Advertisement

Folks, a few days on and the glow of satisfaction at being able to witness the greatest team ever complete 6 in a row, with some players joining the elite list of 8 AI titles as individuals. We are blessed to be able to witness this. Fellow Dubs enjoy the moment, as it may not last.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Have you seen the dressing room celebration footage going around whattsapp?. Absolutely brilliant to see, they are a sound bunch of lads. We didn't get to see much with covid etc so it's so good to see them enjoying themselves.

Deathknell wrote: »
    Did you write that after 3/4 & 5 in a row as well?

This looks like lasting more than any teams dominance ever did before.

Dublin discussion thread, there is a thread for what you are trying to steer this to. Thanks for dropping in with your opinion.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Folks, a few days on and the glow of satisfaction at being able to witness the greatest team ever complete 6 in a row, with some players joining the elite list of 8 AI titles as individuals. We are blessed to be able to witness this. Fellow Dubs enjoy the moment, as it may not last.

Well I am not really counting this year in all honesty. The year had an 'O'Byrne Cup' feel about it at intercounty level imo. Too many new variables. No backdoor, no crowds, no super 8's, Aussie Rules players forced to stay in Ireland etc. Plus Dublin only had one decent game all year. If ever there is such a thing as a 'soft' AI this was it. O'Byrne cup always throws in new rules which are later scrapped. Teams are at different levels of fitness etc.
    Lots of similarities to the shambles of a football championship, a rush job.

I will probably get slated now, but that is how I feel about it. Doubt I will change my opinion on it. 5 in a row I was delighted. It does not seem like a 6 in a row, not really. I am just glad Dublin won the 5 in a row last year. If last year's championship was like this years, I would have really struggled to the be happy about it.

Club football was the real winner this year in my opinion. Some great games in the Dublin Championship at different levels. Was nice to see the club lads get a fair run. None of this stop start messing of previous years and being treated like eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    I know. Tis mad. I'd join in more if it didnt always turn into the same old nonsense. the match thread descended into the usual farce.

Jesus Dob, you're being so effusive and magnanimous that you'll never be allowed back down into the long grass at all at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hope your right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Personally, I think it will go to cillian o connor.

Amazing, as he's not even the best footballer in his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm not really sure what the dynamic between players of the top teams is like now. Do they get on off the field or do they hate each other etc?
    I'd say the Mayo - Dublin relationship between the players isn't great, but I have no idea if that really is the case - I know both sets of players say all the right things in public, but I'd love to know what its like in private.

I know one retired player who i once asked over a pint was there any player he disliked, and his reply was "Mayo"!

I doubt there is much love lost. Thing is, probably very few of them even know one another off the pitch. I think Cooper and Hennelly were in DCU together and friendly, but when the only time you encounter someone is on field in a big game with tight margins, it probably doesn't lead to personal closeness.

I don't know if they did it on Saturday, but had heard that the bringing both teams into the bar for a while afterwards was not popular. I remember one Tipp hurler saying that it was excruciating. All you wanted to do was get the fk out, not be sitting on other side of room from lads who had just beaten you in a big game. And who in fairness he said were also constrained in that they were not going to be shoving the Tipp lads' noses in it. Bad idea.

Hopefully they will bump into each other in later years and have a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I know one retired player who i once asked over a pint was there any player he disliked, and his reply was "Mayo"!

I doubt there is much love lost. Thing is, probably very few of them even know one another off the pitch. I think Cooper and Hennelly were in DCU together and friendly, but when the only time you encounter someone is on field in a big game with tight margins, it probably doesn't lead to personal closeness.

I don't know if they did it on Saturday, but had heard that the bringing both teams into the bar for a while afterwards was not popular.
    I remember one Tipp hurler saying that it was excruciating. All you wanted to do was get the fk out, not be sitting on other side of room from lads who had just beaten you in a big game. And who in fairness he said were also constrained in that they were not going to be shoving the Tipp lads' noses in it. Bad idea.

Hopefully they will bump into each other in later years and have a pint.

Well if it's anything like the posters on Boards...:)

I'd have to agree,I would say it's quite poor but that's mere speculation on my part.More so the Montagues and Capulets.

There were similar stories that both sets of players stuck to their own at previous All Star awards ceremonies.

Is it really a surprise?Familiarity breeds contempt,a relatively one sided rivalry where once the margins were incredibly tight breeds frustration from the Mayo side.The Dublin players do seem to enjoy giving us a good thrashing.

Polarising players on both sides.The O Connors are never likely to win any popularity contest amongst Dublin players or supporters,amazingly in spite of his mischevious ways Leeroy is well respected as he is a right proper baller with a great personality.

Ditto Philly,Jonny Cooper are not likely to receive any Christmas cards from their Mayo counterparts.

TBH I never had a massive issue with Diarmuid Connolly,loved his jousts with Lee.A healthy mutual respect as demonstrated by his forwarding Keegan a pair of boots.

It was reported in the Indo that Leeroy and Philly were chatting on the pitch post the final whistle.

Time is a great healer and much like the Meath/Cork footballers made their peace years after their at times poisonous rivalry I expect same will happen with these players.Far more likely if we take a title off you guys.I have to confess nothing would be sweeter but perhaps a mere pipe dream.

TBH I think gormdubhgorm knows there's fat chance Mayo footballers would grant his/her wish.

I'd be truly disgusted if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think maybe if both teams have won an all ireland it might be a bit easier to at least appear to get on a bit but if I was on a team that was beaten in all the big matches I would most likely never really want to bother having much contact .Like the Meath and Dublin teams having some sort of do for the 4 game saga must have been awful for the dubs maybe not so bad after 1995

Advertisement