Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Beaten by a point.

Gutted
    Bret Hart wrote: »
    The nearly men again.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    They must have read my post, and set out to prove me wrong :eek:

I'll see if it continues!

*ahem!* This Dublin team are absolutely terrible! *ahem!*

Why didn't trollier start????
    Feck sake nearly a miracle.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Did Kilkenny take their foot off the gas or did we genuinely have them on the ropes there?

Bit of both kept plugging away and sort of crept up on KK. Then sub Hayes and Crummy got goals. Plus Troliler was flying when he came on. Cody had to make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Clare or Cork in the qualifiers next weekend. Would give them a chance against either if they bring that second half. Would prefer Cork actually.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Clare or Cork in the qualifiers next weekend. Would give them a chance against either if they bring that second half. Would prefer Cork actually.

Plus starting with the form players would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did Kilkenny take their foot off the gas or did we genuinely have them on the ropes there?

Kilkenny just didnt come out for the second half and Dillon did

• Advertisement

That second half performance was contingent on KK falling asleep at the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That goal from Sinead Aherne haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Bret Hart wrote: »
    The goal itself :pac:

Good goal. She put both top spin and right hand side on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Bambi wrote: »
    Kilkenny just didnt come out for the second half and Dillon did

No doubt Killkenny dropped their standards a bit but it can't be ignored that there was a noticeable lift in the work rate from Dublin after the second water break. Watch the puck outs and how we started to work to get around the breaking ball as evidence.

Keeping Hayes and Dillon (our best forwards imo) on the bench was probably part of a plan to finish hard. Wouldn't surprise me if management are trying to address the late game capitulations we've become used to.

Taking the game in its entirety my opinion of Dublin hasn't changed much. We're brittle in the head and second best physically to the top teams in the land. Walter Walsh out pacing Daire Gray and Colin Fennelly walking through Conor Burke for his goal encapsulated our problems for me. No Dublin player was able to stride away from his man like Walsh and certainly no Dublin player would be able to power through tackles like Fennelly. We are just not physical enough to cope.

Edit: BTW i am sure Ronan Hayes scored a point in the second half that was waved wide. I couldn't believe it when the moment passed and hawkeye didn't pull it back. Grounds for a replay!

• Advertisement

Dublin had two points that were given as wides.

I'd say you are right about the game plan, but nothing came of going to to toe with them in first half, and you are taking a big chance keeping the likes of Trolier on the bench until late on.

A good start next week could be crucial, particularly if it is Cork as they are very ropey psychologically and might fold and never really looked like getting back into it against Waterford.

They were expected to win, perhaps no more than by themselves!, so the quick turnaround might help us.

Of course we might get a bye. Actually kind of prefer to have a game next week.

corny wrote: »
    No doubt Killkenny dropped their standards a bit but it can't be ignored that there was a noticeable lift in the work rate from Dublin after the second water break. Watch the puck outs and how we started to work to get around the breaking ball as evidence.
    !

A bit? They were thinking about the Leinster final for most of that second half

And theres another bugbear, even when our lot try catching a high ball and get their paw to it, they still can't control it, far too much breaking ball for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

corny wrote:
    Edit: BTW i am sure Ronan Hayes scored a point in the second half that was waved wide. I couldn't believe it when the moment passed and hawkeye didn't pull it back. Grounds for a replay!

Bonniedog wrote:
    Dublin had two points that were given as wides.

AFAIK every shot at goal is checked by hawkeye behind-the-scenes.

Im sure in the drawn football final last year the umpires gave dublin a point but the ref was alerted that it had gone wide and the score was chalked off.

Hayes was definitely convinced it had gone over and the two boys in the Hogan almost in line with also thought it was. First half point was from Cusack side so harder to tell but player looked similarly convinced. More a comment on the technology rather than any claim it made a difference.

Anyone know if the silver jubilee teams will be at the all Ireland finals this year?

It will be a shame to see the 1995 footballers miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lovely to see Tyrone out nice the early!

Gonna start adding Cork into my prayers in the lead up to there match with Kerry. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

[HTML][/HTML]
    AFAIK every shot at goal is checked by hawkeye behind-the-scenes.

Im sure in the drawn football final last year the umpires gave dublin a point but the ref was alerted that it had gone wide and the score was chalked off.

Think I read somewhere that hawkeye is not in operation. Found the article. At time of writing it hadn't been confirmed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40063448.html%3ftype=amp

howiya wrote:
    Think I read somewhere that hawkeye is not in operation. Found the article. At time of writing it hadn't been confirmed

It was in operation at croker yesterday as Galway were awarded a point via hawkeye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cork it is. I think that was the better of two evils!

Cork would have been my pick after weekend. Getting another match quickly with them after their poor showing against Waterford much preferable to a bye imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Are we on the telly box on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Are we on the telly box on Saturday?

Yep both games on sky mix

Cork would have been my pick after weekend. Getting another match quickly with them after their poor showing against Waterford much preferable to a bye imho.

But you can't lose a buy :)

Youre right though, We might as well play whoever and see whats what

A Dub shows Kerryman how to play football while a Kerryman takes notes:

Plus, Barney Rock gets a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Really strange feeling that the lads are starting out again in the quest for sam and will be unable to attend. Anyway hopefully a good solid start and a good bit tighter in defence than recent games .Don't really expect this year but always hopeful the run goes on another year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭MFPM

Really strange feeling that the lads are starting out again in the quest for sam and will be unable to attend. Anyway hopefully a good solid start and a good bit tighter in defence than recent games .Don't really expect this year but always hopeful the run goes on another year .

Yeah, I feel the same, there's been nothing in the league to indicate that they can win, I can deal with them not winning Sam as long as it's not Kerry who win, probably a forlorn hope!

MFPM wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel the same, there's been nothing in the league to indicate that they can win, I can deal with them not winning Sam as long as it's not Kerry probably a forlorn hope!

Agreed 100%.

Would like to see a team like Galway win it, or Tyrone or Donegal.
    I was going to say Mayo but people will think I was taking the Mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Am not totally writing us off but league didn't inspire any confidence thought we seemed to have wasted playing time with a few that did feature would have hoped for a couple that could give us some genuine options . Kerry seem to be well placed they were not far from winning first game last year and we are most definitely weaker on the pitch and sideline .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Kerry look very strong and the experience and hurt from losing to us last year will drive them on. The winners of Connacht and Ulster could catch Dublin (providing we win Leinster) or Kerry on a given day. But i feel Kerry are our main threat and you would have to fear that the insatiable appetite the team had to win the 5 in a row may diminish even a couple of percent and that may make all the diffefence in a very tight game.

The team and supporters have nearly forgotten what it's like to lose a tight championship game. We will come out the wrong side of a nailbiter one of these days. Maybe it will be this year. And if it is so be it. Winning the five was the most important thing of all.

• Advertisement

Kerry look very strong and the experience and hurt from losing to us last year will drive them on. The winners of Connacht and Ulster could catch Dublin (providing we win Leinster) or Kerry on a given day. But i feel Kerry are our main threat and you would have to fear that the insatiable appetite the team had to win the 5 in a row may diminish even a couple of percent and that may make all the diffefence in a very tight game.

The team and supporters have nearly forgotten what it's like to lose a tight championship game. We will come out the wrong side of a nailbiter one of these days. Maybe it will be this year. And if it is so be it. Winning the five was the most important thing of all.

I am not too pushed about Dublin winning Sam this year unless it is to stop Kerry winning it. My focus is more on the hurlers would love to see them get a bit of consistency and momentum. Annoy the 'traditional' hurling counties again.

Advertisement