Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Decent enough win Salthill nice to see some come on that i feel are options when the bigger matches come around hard to read where we really are though we really only have one way to go but hopefully my negative view is wrong think Kerry look likely winners at this moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Quote on Galway thread 'Philly is a tramp that will never change'. I thought he was lucky not to see yellow for a wild swing but to call the man that is out of order. He's rarely been sent off in his long career. Sails close to the wind at times but plays it hard and fair.

'Sails close to the wind' is a GAA euphemism for employing the dark arts, what he did was a sending-off offence by any rule of the book. Winning, and losing, fair and square is always acceptable. Resorting to thuggery because your opponent is besting you in a game of little bearing does McMahon no credit and will win him few admirers, regardless of his off-field demeanour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

MfMan wrote: »
    'Sails close to the wind' is a GAA euphemism for employing the dark arts, what he did was a sending-off offence by any rule of the book. Winning, and losing, fair and square is always acceptable. Resorting to thuggery because your opponent is besting you in a game of little bearing does McMahon no credit and will win him few admirers, regardless of his off-field demeanour.

All teams have the player's who 'sail close to the wind' including your own Sean Andy I Ceallagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The same people who both piss and moan about the odd Philly challenge and going on as if he shot the president would be watching an underage game next week and effing the referee out of it if he tried to card one of their kids for anything similar ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think it will be more Dublin stobberness this year that might win it then anything else. Kerry will definitely be in the final.

Dublin will have to peak for two games both in croke park to make it 6, you wouldn't rule it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Strumms wrote: »
    The same people who both piss and moan about the odd Philly challenge and going on as if he shot the president would be watching an underage game next week and effing the referee out of it if he tried to card one of their kids for anything similar ..

Exactly. I must say i never criticise tough hard players that have an edge about them. From Mick Lyons, Niall Cahalane, Michael Murphy, Ricie McManaman, Conor Gormley, Noel O Leary etc take your pick. Every team has these tough 'enforcer' type players and you won't hear me calling them a 'tramp'. We have always had these players in Dublin from Keith Barr, Eamon Heary in the 90s up to Philly now. Dublin legends one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm actually not sure what Philly did. I've seen it a few times. Nothing in it. Galway lad drops his head and marker behind him. You see it every game. You can nearly always tell by the reaction of the other player too.

I suggest some people need to watch something a little less physical, maybe snooker. But I suppose a snooker que in the eye could be sore.

C__MC wrote: »
    I think it will be more Dublin stobberness this year that might win it then anything else. Kerry will definitely be in the final.

Dublin will have to peak for two games both in croke park to make it 6, you wouldn't rule it out.

The talent is certainly there, still. Just what has I guess to be acknowledged is that other teams have bridged the gap a bit.

Dublin previously have an off 20 minutes they’d still be of the ability to shade it by a couple. Can’t afford that now against the likes of Cork and Kerry, them having improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hope you adapt the same consistent POV when you're on the receiving end of it.

MfMan wrote: »
    Hope you adapt the same consistent POV when you're on the receiving end of it.

We take it on the chin and get on with it, it happens. The way ‘some’ opposition fans go on after some games you’d imagine they’d be ringing up the UN Security Council followed by the legion of Mary, awful, altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is the KK v Dubs hurling match only on GAAGO - outside Ireland?

Bit annoyed about not being able to see it live, if true. Cos I feel it could be good game and would be nice to see how they fare against the cats.
    I feel it a bit of hurling snobbery?

Bad enough having to put up with the odd few minutes highlights when the Dublin hurlers play - after going to a game.
    Now can't see it at all.

I don't suppose anyone knows any good free VPN's or is the not allowed on boards?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It was showing the Buy icon for me today anyway when I looked as I was going to buy it for my Da before the weekend.

It was showing the Buy icon for me today anyway when I looked as I was going to buy it for my Da before the weekend.

Thanks I will have a look.

What I’d love to know is who’s showing Leitrim and Mayo on TV that it’s not available on GAAGo?

I just paid for it there now 5€ (after my giving out said available all countries!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

What I’d love to know is who’s showing Leitrim and Mayo on TV that it’s not available on GAAGo?

It's on RTE News Now! Random.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Last year's final on Sky Sports Mix now to get you into the mood for Championship Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭MFPM

The IT has a host of predictions from various commentators and journos I was a little surprised most went for Dublin to win, Kevin McStay, of course, went for Kerry which he seems to do every year, clearly, he's not a Dublin fan!

MFPM wrote: »
    The IT has a host of predictions from various commentators and journos I was a little surprised most went for Dublin to win, Kevin McStay, of course, went for Kerry which he seems to do every year, clearly, he's not a Dublin fan!

I think it was the 2011 free against Kildare in the Leinster Semi final, that sent McStay over the edge.
    "Ah noooo, ah noooo!"

"If you know the game how could you call a free at 14 all with seconds left in it?
    A handy free to win a big Leinster championship game it's crazy!"

"Not at all Marty, there was minimum contact"

"Not to have the good sense to finish it off with a draw"

Poor McStay was never the same since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not looking great so far.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not looking great so far.

Back to earth with a bang!

10 points down after just 25 mins, looking ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Breaking up the halfback line is really coming back to haunt us. Reid, Walsh, Ryan are noticeably stronger and faster than their opponents. They're far better conditioned all over the pitch truth be told. Fennelly is giving it to O'Donnell.

Rabbits in headlights stuff too. First goal went in... McBride has a sideline cut and you sense his panic...he scuffs it, knocks it 10 yards in front of him to a KK man which leads to the second goal. Unforgivable. Everything (decision making, touch, confidence, etc) falls apart for the entire team after that. We are so brittle its untrue.

Cats had Dublin beaten after sbout 20mins in 2nd gear very disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MFPM wrote: »
    Back to earth with a bang!

In fairness, I don't think anyone here thought that we ever had lift off. A win against a Laois side that stayed with us until the final 15 or so meant that there was no indication that we were ready for one of the big teams.

What Kilkenny are doing to us is what we should be doing to Laois. When that starts happening on a regular basis, I'll start to believe in this team.

As Corny said, we're so brittle, we're "ok/occasionally great" when the going is good, but the first sign of hardship and we're on the floor. Same with the Laois game last year, they flew out of the traps and we were struggling to cope with a bit of aggression.

I guess there's always next year..... :(

They must have read my post, and set out to prove me wrong :eek:

I'll see if it continues!

*ahem!* This Dublin team are absolutely terrible! *ahem!*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Beaten by a point.

Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The nearly men again.

Ah well, I guess there's only so much I can do.

Once again, a spirited fightback, but ultimately not enough in the tank. We keep finding ourselves in the same situation, of needing a spirited fightback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Did Kilkenny take their foot off the gas or did we genuinely have them on the ropes there?

Advertisement