Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options
1236237238239240242»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As for today’s match. I thought Meath left at least 8-10 points behind them. If they had a bit more confidence/nous they could have caught Dublin cold. Given the conditions etc.

Interestingly I heard on radio that O’Rourke could have had the game played in Navan. But he wanted Croke Park. Can see the logic he wanted to give the Meath fellas experience.

On Cluxton coming back it must have been one of his worst games for a long time. Poor on kick outs, made a mess of that 45. Have to wonder how the other Dublin keepers on panel felt. I think it unfair to be dropped like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely evan comerford and o Hanlon had solid leagues and deserve to be ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He should be benched for the next day otherwise the other lads on the panel may start asking questions. If one of them out in a display like that I doubt we'd see them again in the championship

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

Why.. First day back. Dublin goalkeepers have to know their position in the TEAM. Otherwise they would walk. Cluxton is no 1 until he officially retires, end of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cluxton was very rusty in Leinster games last year against Kildare and Louth today. Needs more games.

• Advertisement

Cluxton played his 120th senior Championship for Dublin today and 100th Championship win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭rrs

He doesn't play any Club football. Does he still much soccer or what was he doing since last July?

Cluxton has to perform like any other player though. He is not immune from criticism because of past achievements. If he played like that against most top div 1 sides. Dublin would likely have lost the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

I love Cluxton as much as the rest of Dublin fans for what he has done for Dublin football. But there is something not right for other keepers to be dropped who were doing well.
    Real unfair on Comerford/O’Hanlon in my opinion. Cluxton getting in ahead of them now just based on profile. And the two lads can’t question it because they don’t have the “stature”.
    I remember when O’Leary was keeper and Davy Byrne took his spot after waiting his turn. That was the right way to do it in my opinion.

Personally I think Dublin GAA should have an intercounty keeper coaching role created for Cluxton. Loads of knowledge to impart.

• Advertisement

Cluxton was back playing in goal with Parnells this year. I say he only played the soccer when not involved with Dublin in 2021 & 2022.

I heard he didn't play in 23 either. He wasn't named on the Parnell's panel in club championship. They reached the intermediate final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Regarding Stevo yesterday he was definitely poor and it goes without saying that if either of Evan or David played like that there would be host of posts how poor they were.I was dubious about him coming back last year but we won out so kind of got my answer .It must be disheartening for the other two all the same because most likely we will be in the pack when either gets the number one spot .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dont agree with this - there is no way Dublin, whose players are far better and far more cohesive, were ever going to be caught cold. Dublin were bringing on subs that were better than the best Meath players.

Meath didnt at any point come close to scoring a goal.

But they did lack confidence, I'll grant you that. And to be honest, thats understandable. They know its a pointless exercise.

O'Rourke should 100% have taken Navan - Meath have experience of playing in front of 20'000 Dublin fans and a couple of hundred Meath fans. What good does that do for them.

They played the Tailteann there last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It almost felt like Cluxton was testing new kick-out strategies in real game time. Didn't go short even when there were options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Neither O'Hanlon nor Comerford impressed me during the league. Both had poor days with kick-outs as well.

Cluxton and Rock at their top are the two that are missed most from this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't think the strategy was to kick so many directly to Meath players though.

It's fair enough that he's rusty in his first game but maybe he should have been given some more time in the league if he's going to be first choice for the rest of the season.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

He didn't play with Parnells after Dublin finished last year. Might have been injured as has always stay involved with the club.

He didn't play with them in a few years, not just last year. Some fall out going back a while when Parnell's were getting a lot of big name players

He wasn't happy with Parnells recruitment policy about 10-15 year when they sold land and brought in a load of outside players. He dropped down and played with their second team. Not aware of any fall out last year.

• Advertisement

I hope your right on Cluxton treating it like a challenge match.

I thought O'Hanlon/Comerford were grand overall. The problem is Cluxton was brought in specifically because if his kickout expertise, and sweeping. Not for his "normal" goalkeeping.

If Cluxton does not have those majority of kickouts nailed (plus frees) what is the point of playing him? It would be terrible if he plays like that against one of the big guns, makes an error and is made look very foolish. It would not be a great way to end a career.

Maybe someone else knows this when John O'Leary was dropped for Byrne. How long did O'Leary stay as sub goalie for Dublin was it a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone go down to Wexford Park? By all accounts we scarcely deserved the draw but positive nonetheless that we were able to eek it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Was down in Wexford - great result. Dubs were chasing the game right from the start (it didnt look like a penalty to me) but showed a lot of character. Hopefully this gives them a big boost now going into the rest of the championship. Saw lots of kids there from Crokes and Plunketts - fair play to the clubs for bringing them down.

Master

Strong team named for the match against Carlow tomorrow. Hopefully we can be a bit more direct and get a few goals, we'll need goals to progress

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

3rd spot might come down to points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭MFPM

That was tighter than I expected, 5 point win over Carlow, doesn't augur well for what's ahead!

Master

Never in doubt !! Will need to really up our game from here. Big result for Antrim , puts Dublin in a good position

Advertisement