Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Two games in a row we have been fucked over by bad refereeing and poor forward play.

Should of won both those games instead we have nothing.

Some seriously bad misses especially tonight. Mayo's goal out of nothing turned the game we where dirt from there on.

Incredibly frustrating start to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Goodigal

Too many wides in 2nd half, despite some good scores too. Could have easily won that, we were the better team.

Didn't think it was a free, but we got caught ball watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Murphy was eejit to do that made it an easy call for ref. I am happy with the level of control overall though. Just a bit of cop on and more clinical with the chances.

Mayo were smart with that last free in fairness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Ref made a few bad calls either end, don't think he favoured either team.

I admire Con trying to sneak one on on Reape when he was up the field - would have been heroic had it worked. Roaming keepers raise my blood pressure.

Not much of a Dub crowd there but not a lot of hotel space at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think it was a push so gave the ref the chance to award the free . Thought we were very poor in attack never any goal threat even when we were on top we never tagged on enough points.Two defeats means a battle to stay up now and further evidence that lads coming through just not at the level we would like .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

We could have won it and it was an easy free to give at end

I thought about going with the eldest. Not a bed to be found and even at that at a decent price. He midnight getting home and hours pass her bedtime. Even last weekend she was falling asleep in car. So didn’t fancy the long drive home. Pity it wasn’t a 5 throw in. More might have made the journey.

Seemed a smaller Dublin crowd than other years alright ,have been there last few games usually a decent crowd over .Lot of factors and it being on telly proberly stopped some going .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Dublin last 9 Div one games

W2 L7 must be a long time since they had a record that poor in the top division.

Big transition coming and won't be done smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Dessie trying to play summer football in the winter coming back to bite again. Lots of early ball into the forward line but it's proving too hard to implement on a wet slow pitch.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

clearly doesn't take the league serious. I'd settle for another AI

• Advertisement

Hard to know if Div2 would be a bad thing or good thing at this stage. It would give younger/newer players less pressure to develop. But on the other hand it will mean Dublin playing low level football until the AIQF.

Got away with it last year, just about. But when I think of how those Ulster teams are motoring (in particular) it could be massive jump in standard to be ready for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Can't anyone as the same strength in depth is there anymore. Was 2023 the last year to squeeze one last All-Ireland out of the old guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Maybe for a year or 2 , maybe 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭MFPM

Con's role is odd too he played very deep for alot of the match, it's feels a long time since we've seen him put in a match winning performance or a serious contribution on the scoreboard.

Well I had written off our chances for a long time last year and I got my answer.Its really if we can get everyone firing for a couple of games later on will be the question .

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don’t get the doom and gloom, 3 or 4 very solid new players identified already. Some really great work last night across the half backs. Crucial decisions went against them, eg o’Shea getting a free and a Mayo score instead of a clear red card, Theo getting a yellow and a mayo scored free for an O’Shea dive. Final score off another dive with minimal contact. Mayo got frees everywhere for going diwn easily and the ref waved played on for the identical fouls at the other end

on top of that our early clinical finishing went to pieces late on and we missed all our last few chances including an easy fist over. Mayo get at least 5 easy frees handed to them and a lucky goal and we feel asleep for the final point. 9 times out of 10 you are wining that game missing 6 or so starters.

The game was there for the taking Mayo where living on handy frees and couldn't kick a score from play to save there life's.

Only for that fluke goal and our own really bad finishing in the second half we would of won comfortable.

Defence was much better compared to the Monaghan game though which is a plus. If we play that open going forward we will have our arses handed to us.

I'm not getting too stressed about the league at least we look better than we did this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair analysis. I was looking back over some of the game again this morning. There were a couple of questionable frees that our guys got (Mayo). Aidan O'Shea got a few, but was denied some obvious fouls against him as well (the big man syndrome). There was a free for Cillian O'Connor near the end, and I don't know what it was for. There needs to be some element of contact in GAA; otherwise, it will just go like the Premiership.

But I don't get the comments about the last free.. If one player pushes another player, it is clearly a free. It's not about the force, or what part of the body he pushes him. This notion of "a soft free" was introduced into GAA lingo some time ago, indicating that there may have been some potential wrongdoing in the awarding of a free. David Clifford had what seemed to be a fair shoulder against Derry last year, but the free went against him. It was controversial. That is what I would regard as a soft free to Derry, as it went against what is written in the rule-book. If there was no contact between Ryan O'Donoghue and the defender, and Ryan O'Donoghue falls over or dives, then it is a wrongdoing and a soft free (or in that case an incorrect call by the ref). But in this case, the defender clearly pushes him over. If I was Dessie Farrell, I would be fuming at the Dublin defender. About one minute left, the ball heading towards the corner flag and if I recall correctly, O'Donoghue was fairly isolated. And then Cian Murphy tries to make contact with him whilst bending down for the ball. Very naive.

Anyway, Mayo were extremely lucky to come away with a win on this one. Yesterdays game was a bit like the Dublin Monaghan game last week - one point loss for the Dubs, last minute point. But I was at the Dublin Monaghan game, and from what I saw, Monaghan were toe to toe with Dublin. But Mayo were lucky to come away with a win.

Considering the result Mayo had with Galway I was surprised how flat they where yesterday. Think Dublin's lack of consistency let Mayo back into the game in both halves. The Monaghan game Dublin again left it behind but the difference was Monaghan actually looked dangerous and Dublins defence was awful so it allowed Monaghan's fast attacking play to get rewards.

There's two games Dublin with a bit more cop on would of won but instead we have nothing. Hopefully we can weed the **** out early in season and settle further things go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

We don't believe in that approach in Mayo. We like to settle early in the season, go all guns blazing, and then let the weeds grow in the crunch part of the season !!😥

Galway were very poor last week. Made Mayo look good. I expect Roscommon to give them a good going over today - that's if Ros put out their full-strength team.

For Dublin, it looks like they will be depending on getting a home win against Roscommon, and a win in Galway to get 4 points. And then probably looking for one win from Kerry (in Croke Park), Derry (away) and Tyrone in Croke Park. Any of those three games could go either way. I don't think they will beat Derry in Derry. For the Kerry match, the Croke Park element doesn't phase Kerry. They have played there several times, and don't get phased by it. And the Cliffords are due back then too and fresh after a nice break for themselves. So the Tyrone match will probably be the most winnable from those 3 matches. It could be a slog for Dublin. Or it could turn out they could win all of the games. That's the great thing about the league in comparison to the championship. The championship has generally become predictable, until you get to the semi-finals. THere will generally be a shock or 2 along the way, but it is more the exception than the rule.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Kerry decisively beating Monaghan on the road. Typical Monaghan on one level, rarely put two good back to back performances together.

Agree with comments above that Roscommon and Galway best opportunités for wins then probably Tyrone. Dublin have given up beating Kerry in the league, terrible recent record.

Kerry have Clifford the whole thing revolves around him. If you took him out that team they would fall apart.

They are lucky David Clifford is rarely injured. in fairness though his brother Paudie and those Geaney's are no slouches.

There is definitely a real open feel bubbling up in this league div 1, you wouldn't be surprised if there is any kind of result in a match. As there is no teams miles ahead of the rest, where it is easy to call.

And there is no team with "aura" based on constant success. Sort of a power vacuum in football at the moment hard to say who will be the dominate football side in for the next five years.

Kerry, Tyrone, Derry, Mayo, Monaghan, Galway all at similar competitive levels. And I would expect Donegal to improve from div 2.

I am still waiting for some Dublin young lads to emerge that will keep Dublin in the mix, the type everyone is talking about. At the moment it feels Dublin are "hanging on" at the top level. Based on experience more than anything else.

Get the coddle and creatine into those young fellas quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

I miss the old dublin when they where clinical and ruthless, very passive now and sloppy when in good positions. Maybe it will grow as the season goes on, but under gavin even in the league that had a brilliant ruthless edge to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Thought McEneaney for Dublin was good (fisted miss aside)

There seems to be more talk of Pat Gilroy not involved this year .Big loss to us .

They are very reliant on him no doubt, but they did OK against Derry last week without him.

• Advertisement

Some are saying he will be back later but haven't heard anything official just here and there for a while now .

Advertisement