Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,234 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with you about Dublin hanging on.

Basquel and Costello were not good enough to get into the team during the glory days but are now the marquee forwards.

There isn't a single forward who would play ahead of Connolly, Flynn, the two Brogans, Andrews, O'Gara, Rock, McMenamon, etc. Kilkenny is past his peak and Con seems to have lost something. Mannion will be badly needed if Dublin are to make any headway this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is starting to look like to me, but then I didn't give Dublin much of a hope last year when drawn v Mayo in that AIQF so what do I know?

There does not seem to be a single team out on their own at the moment, so a team with smart game management could still sneak an AI.

I feel the team needs a spark a young attacking player with fearless exuberance, thinking Jayo 1995 he transformed the mood of the Dublin camp back then when it was full of auld fellas, or an Alan Brogan type from about 2003.

Something to lift the team crowd cheers when he gets the ball in anticipation that something is going to happen. Con used to do that but his role seems to have changed?, before him it was Connolly. I suppose you could even Connolly role changed at the tail end of his career going for those pinged longrange passes, sitting deep.

A flair player I suppose you would call it, the type who runs at defences and you don't know what he is going to do next.

Has the vibrancy being trained out of players? Or are they just not being produced these days? More concerned with "turnovers" and "possessions"?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It seems a long way from the days where top Dublin forwards could be injured for a few months, and it was so seamless, style of play did not change.

I honestly used to forget about the injured player until he came back! Then you were wondering who should be left out. Not like that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Decent two opening league games. Some nice football played in both. Wouldn't worry in the slightest about two narrow losses. Blow the dirty petrol out early. Try new lads see if their up to it. Loads lads to come back in like Cluxton, Murch, Fitz, J Small, McCarthy, Howard.

Be nice to see Con get back to his best form.

Anything less than an All Ireland win is going to be a disappointing year.

Kerry are the one team i'd have my doubts against. I see they are All Ireland favourites. Probably will be between us again.

Derry and Donegal will be dangerous.

Who knows with Galway and Mayo.

Great to have the games back. Seems to have come around so quick of last years All Ireland. Lots to look forward to.

The hurlers are a little off the top tier counties and i feel beating Wexford to the the third place in Leinster round robin is probably the best we can hope for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I expected Dublin to win that quarter final however things fell very nicely for Dublin last year.

Worth remembering Dublin was a Conor Cox missed free away from finishing 2nd in their group and Mayo really messed up not topping their group after their win in Kerry.

The Quarter final whereby it could have been Dublins 3rd match in three weeks v a rested Mayo would be a lot different.

I had completely forgotten about the Rossie match tandem permutations to be honest. Only for Joanne Cantwell mentioned Dublin drew with them in Championship on League Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

I'd believe that the vibrancy is trained out of players so as to suit the coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭MFPM

Similar story for Dublin, better team, race into a lead, get hauled back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Roscommon defense is wide open here.

There for the taking with a bit more zip going forward

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We were very lucky with their denied goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Better second half clearly ,we were far too slow on our build up in the first plus hit some poor wides .We will have our work cut out against Kerry and Derry by the looks of things .Nothing really new stood out for me with the lads getting a bit more game time .

Thought Con had his best game in a while

Only thing that threw me about his performance was the 9 on his back.

I wonder what Dessie’s logic was naming him at 9 and then playing him in his normal spot. Did he think it would confuse the Rossies?

Happy with the two points anyway, looked like it could be another collapse at one stage.

Was a strange one alright.

He's a number 9 to us in the same way Pat Gilroy was a water carrier.

Why the crowd so small today I wonder? Told by Steward was expecting 15k.

Must be the smallest crowd at a senior Dublin football match since a few years ago bitterly cold day/stormy/rainy etc in the league which clashed with a big Rugby game.

But this time the weather was grand, was it because it was on telly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There was a protest on in the city centre too, that might have impacted.

Good to see Con back to form. Sent over a few nice points showed well for the ball and was a little unlucky to give away a couple of harsh frees in first half. Having Con near or back to his best come the championship is a must.

Paddy Small and Costelloe need to improve imo. Costelloe unlucky to get Gannon's arm into his face he also got a crack of the umpires flag in game v Monaghan. Outside of these unlucky injuries he needs to up his game.

Good to see John Small get a good run out. Scully and Howard too.

We were never going to lose this game esp after the two losses. Probably not the most attractive game a Saturday 17.00 throw in a stand alone fixture v Roscommon.

Big double header up next footballers v Kerry and hurlers v Limerick. There will be a nice turnout for that one.

On the hurling match - 30 Burke frees and a Chris Crummey MOTM performance sure we will be grand!

Go easy Limerick!

—-

On the footballers - David who? He must have had a sleepless night having to face Fitzsimons again.

I hope it not too bleeding cold

(I am fast approaching auld fella status if I am worrying about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

With no Fitzsimons, who do you think will pick up Clifford. Looking forward to a cold evening in Croker alright.

• Advertisement

Some hammering for the hurlers, 18 point defeat and Limerick had 15 wides. Limerick are in a different league clearly but it was so easy for them.

Knew it was coming after the Antrim game. No offence intended to Antrim (you can very easily turn this around and say it about Dublin), but any team that can't properly put away Antrim is going to get a hiding from the big boys.

Huge gap.

Great performance by Dublin in this first half. Kerry well off it. What's good is in parts Dublin have been sloppy, they could be further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Goodigal

Super first half but yes, should be further ahead. Interesting to see how Kerry respond.

Hope Dublin don't let this slip. Was it 2/3 years ago they had a decent half time lead and Kerry came back to draw.

They walked that into the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Brilliant performance by Dublin I've said it million times Con is one of the top players in country when he's allowed play his game.

When Clifford doesn't turn up Kerry are fucked O'Shea **** the bed as well when things got tough missed good few handy scores.

Some the young fellas coming in are looking very good for Dublin hope that continues. Great game really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Can we just play Con as a sub now, I'm afraid he'll get injured, like for the 2022 SF or would that blunt his sharpness

Best Dublin football performance for a long time. Plus when was the last time the same Dub got MOTM back to back? Rock maybe? Kerry fans looked sick, and that was only 20 gone. Shell shocked might be the better word. So many good Dublin performances besides Con. special mention to Clancy.. O’Hanlon had a good game too.

The hurlers ? The match went as predicted. And I felt Limerick were going in second gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Advertisement