Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Credit to Dessie and his team on the sidelines as well. He's really starting to be more tactically astute and the last few games we've played the opposition and the conditions far better.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is mad to think how poor Dublin were in that league where Dublin were relegated with Dessie. The Armagh match really sticks out in my mind. Then didn't Dublin play Clare in div 2 and were lucky to win etc.

Dessie did mention he made a few tweaks and he knew it would take time (after the Salthill match). The bit I don't get if it was a few tweaks, why were the results all over the shop so much for about 1 year and a half? Was it Dessie settling in trying stuff to rule them out, or was it the players who were confused?

I can't remember a time where mostly the same panel of players went on a big dip, and clawed their way back in such a short period. And not only that Dublin have a two or three young lads that are pushing for starts.

It seems the rest of country has started to appreciate the work Dessie and Dublin have done. Mostly based on simplicity and work ethic. I think Tomas O'Se and Lee Keegan must have mentioned "movement" twenty times between them.

It was great to hear two names like that being so impressed with the movement of the Dublin players. Because I was started to wonder was I imagining it, because on the main national league thread there was some chat, that football was boring. But I didn't get that at all because most of div1 and the Dublin games have been great to watch live. The movement etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it was mentioned on the commentary tonight, but I've noticed how few Dublin players are in the D before suddenly there's a runner that the ball is popped to for the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am really enjoying the football games as well, a better spectacle than the hurling which sometimes looks like glorified ping-pong.

Hurling has turned into a free taking competition these days. Lads are well able to pop it over the bar from well inside their own half these days. Something needs to be done because it's boring to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Shush, don't mention the elephant in the room. Hurling is a protected species don't you know?

The fact is, football has been a better watch for years now.

A good suggestion on the changes in GAA thread was heavier sliothar’s. Seemed like a simple practical idea

Anyway back to the big ball game. It has got me thinking who is the best football team to watch at the moment? Dublin obviously have to be in the conversation.

Top of my head Tyrone would be one I would think of basically because the young Canavan’s play off the cuff.

I was 50/50 on whether to go on Sunday basically because Tyrone won’t be too pushed. But thought it would be a good chance to look at the young Canavan’s progress. Plus how Dublin will cope with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

As a former keeper I absolutely disagree with this!! ..but seriously I think if you reduce the ability to score frees / from distance , you increase fouling and get a more stop start game. Half forwards/midfielders cant just foul in hurling if there is a turnover (like in football). Maybe only 2 handpasses in a row would be an improvement but for all the talk, hurling is absolute magic as it is, I dont think any changes are really needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The problem with heavier balls is the same one they face with golf, it quite literally becomes an arms race, with players spending longer in the gym to work on their strength to overcome extra weight.

If you don't increase your strength, then you get left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭MFPM

Some performance this by Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

What a performance by Dublin. They aren't going away from the top table anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

Next weekends League Final against Derry looks like been a nice appetizer for the championship to come. Hopefully with the same outcome as in last season both in the league and the Championship.

At the rate things are going Dublin will be unbackable for Sam.

Can only see something like complacency, injuries or lots of dismissals derailing this year. Given where Tyrone, Kerry, Derry are currently at. Dublin have seemed to go up a notch from even championship last summer, already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will Cluxton return? He will have to in order to try and get that tenth AI medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There were only six starters from last year's All-Ireland Final starting today.

It also looked to me that we were playing with four backs, three midfielders and seven forwards.

McGinnis looks a find.

Great to see the fly goalkeeper trend taking a hammering, the Hill loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Even if Tyrone were poor enough and will be better this was a really encouraging performance from us today .Great to see the fast direct ball up to the scoring area quickly and we made great use of it today .A lot of the younger lads did well and the subs didn't really weaken us at all .The squad is in a good place ,not sure what the Derry match will mean but they will be good if they play their best team even with one eye on the champo .

Dennis Bastick was on radio today saying that Cluxton is still around the Dublin squad. He did not give a answer as to when he would be back. But implied it will happen at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

He warmed up both Comerford and sub keeper O'Hanlon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Ah Jazus steady on there , The Dominance of Dublin GAA thread will take off again 🤪

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

And played for club in the morning also, so he is available it looks like. I think o’hanlon did enough to keep the spot for championship myself. Very solid performance, especially the shot choices, but Tyrone were poor. Be interesting to see which mind games Harte plays, I honestly can’t see him going all out. He’ll either rest a few or take them off early to build in a buffer to their champs games, or to give the morale a boost. Can’t risk playing full side knowing we’ll be on a different schedule looking to get people back for later in season.

• Advertisement

I would say Harte wouldn't be too fussed as long as the match is a close one. You would expect Derry to set up as tough to break down, and do their usual counter attacking style.

It is more an important match for Dublin as Dublin won't get a decent challenge until May. Derry have Ulster to navigate.

It surprises me how lightly Kerry took the league, as they are basically in the same position as Dublin, no decent matches until well into May now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Evan Comerford was in nets yesterday. His restarts super quick and accurate. O'Hanlon is weak under a high ball and has shown it a good few times so won't be first choice.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don’t think weak under the high ball is the issue it once was, they are all relatively weak under a high ball when a team is playing to that tactic, and we shuffle people around to have Howard or Gannon try to cover it. Generally that’s desperation stakes for any team to put a 50/50 high ball in on keeper, it’s usually the full backs competing. Either way, great to have proper competition in a few spots and a few more attacking backs in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin Football 2024

National League

27/01/2024

Dublin

Monaghan

03/02/2024

Dublin

Mayo

17/02/2024

Dublin

Roscommon

24/02/2024

Dublin

Kerry

02/03/2024

Dublin

Derry

16/03/2024

Dublin

Galway

24/03/2024

Dublin

Tyrone

31/03/2024

Dublin

Derry

O'Hanlon, David

Gannon, Lee

MacMahon, Sean

Murchan, Eoin

McEneaney, Greg

Murphy, Cian

McCaffrey, Jack

Fenton, Brian

Kilkenny, Ciaran

Small, Paddy

O'Dell, Lorcan

McGarry, Ross

Costello, Cormac

O'Callaghan, Con

Breathnach, Luke

McCarthy, James

Basquel, Colm

O'Gara, Killian

Scully, Niall

Clancy, Theo

Bugler, Sean

Small, John

O'Cofaigh Byrne, Peadar

Howard, Brian

McGinnis, Killian

Lowry, Sean

Lahiff, Tom

Newcombe, Daire

Comerford, Evan

Mannion, Paul

O'Leary, Brian

O'Connor, Cian

Forker, Senan

Player

Goals

Total

O'Callaghan, Con

Costello, Cormac

McGarry, Ross

Kilkenny, Ciaran

Basquel, Colm

Bugler, Sean

Fenton, Brian

O'Dell, Lorcan

Scully, Niall

Small, Paddy

McGinnis, Killian

Murphy, Cian

Gannon, Lee

Lahiff, Tom

O'Hanlon, David

Mannion, Paul

McCaffrey, Jack

Breathnach, Luke

Comerford, Evan

MacMahon, Sean

McEneaney, Greg

Murchan, Eoin

O'Gara, Killian

Small, John

Article on 2014 U21 All-Ireland Winning team. A lot of All-Ireland’s gobbled up. Even if many were on the fringes of the senior starting team.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41364058.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Conor McHugh having that many medals was a surprise to me. Very rarely used iirc?

Exactly. That surprised me as well. Always just about made the panel for age’s but never broke through. I remember McHugh was touted as the next great Dublin forward, when he first appeared at underage. Remember seen him at minor where he stood out.

I think it was just aggressiveness in his play he lacked, to break through senior properly.

Sloppy enough by Dublin so far, fair few unforced errors on the ball.

That's never a penalty

• Advertisement

Dublin not at it today at all. Bad habits of early league are back.

Advertisement