Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

And this is the main takeaway. The storm wasn't remotely as powerful as forecast, as Gaoth Laidir rightly stated, "we dodged a bullet". And others insisted on building it up. Another poster who doesn't live in Clare stated the red was justified, although I reside there and witnessed the whole event. Tempers are flaring for no reason, there should be a happy consensus that Jorge largely spared us the worst.

Agreed. Thankfully it weakened before hitting us. One of these days it won't weaken though. That's why these warnings are needed for that one storm that won't weaken and do serious damage.

... but you and that muppet seem to take pleasure in trying to be right.

A bit harsh on Kermit. All he wants is a bit of snow.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well many like me just ignore the thread. Was going well today until the bickering started at about 3 (?). I just left the thread then and this is my first glance back.

Shameful bickering between supposed 'adults' here. Losing respect for some posters I know, and it really takes the enjoyment out of the contribution to these forums.

How do you know the thread was going well if you ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not what I would describe as a normal windy day when the gusts nearly knock you over. All depends on your exact location and how sheltered you are, still not the worst I have experienced around here.
    There were trees down in various locations and if the weather warnings prevented someone from driving at the time one of those trees fell on the road I think it did its job no matter how over cautious they may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did someone mention a second low with this storm this evening my friend on a Trawler tells me the Coastguard have just issued a new storm warning for West Coasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A small lorry blowing over in a strong gale in the west of Ireland on an exposed road on the coast is hardly newsworthy. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. It was a very windy day but nothing anywhere near exceptional. The storm peaked before it hit land. Which by the way I'm relieved about.

I have walked the same bit of coast twice a day for twenty years. This afternoon was exceptional. I don't remember hearing about lots of lorries being blown over. Oh & I am not some shrinking violet. I work outdoors & study the weather closely. I am often the one showing the bravado & criticising warnings, but this one was spot on.

These types of post need a thread in AH or Current affairs rather than a forum to properly discuss the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So what kind of weather are we expecting for tomorrow after this storm moves on?
    The reason I ask is I’ve two coats of paint to put on a side gate. Is there a window to get this done do ya think?
    I’m in Dublin so we will be the last to see the storm clear I think.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In Sligo and just went to the local shop and honestly struggled opening the driver side door with the wind! :eek:

Off to see Foil, Arms & Hog tonight regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Did someone mention a second low with this storm this evening my friend on a Trawler tells me the Coastguard have just issued a new storm warning for West Coasts

Is it new or have they just extended the existing Orange marine warning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Didn't keep a track of the top gusts around the country today, but my hunch is that once again, the UK Met Office will come out triumphant. Certainly spot on for here again.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

tom1ie wrote: »
    So what kind of weather are we expecting for tomorrow after this storm moves on?
    The reason I ask is I’ve two coats of paint to put on a side gate. Is there a window to get this done do ya think?
    I’m in Dublin so we will be the last to see the storm clear I think.
    Thanks.

Should be sound between 11-1 when you are finished. Would you give my gables a first coat that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Discodog wrote: »
    Is it new or have they just extended the existing Orange marine warning ?

He was not sure but I thought I saw a mention here of a secondary low following on this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Should be sound between 11-1 when you are finished. Would you give my gables a first coat that would be great

Sound. Whereabouts are ya. Hope your happy with the wind dispersal method of painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Analysis at 18Z. The same pressure but slightly further north and west than forecast 24 hours ago, hence the gradient is that bit less steep.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022918_000.png

Discodog wrote: »
    I have walked the same bit of coast twice a day for twenty years. This afternoon was exceptional. I don't remember hearing about lots of lorries being blown over. Oh & I am not some shrinking violet. I work outdoors & study the weather closely. I am often the one showing the bravado & criticising warnings, but this one was spot on.

These types of post need a thread in AH or Current affairs rather than a forum to properly discuss the weather.

I've seen worse this winter (which isn't saying much) and I'm in the same country as you. A 'red warning' may or may not have been warranted for your coastal fringe, but certainly not for here. As I and others have said numerous times already, this one size fits all approach just isn't working, because it is never going to work.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The wind was so strong in Doolin today that you had to face the land to take a breath.

It was the first time in my life I had to turn my back on the ocean and face the land in order to breathe.

I know there was worse storms but bang on 13:35 today the wind was the strongest gust I ever stood in while not in shelter.

There was pebbles blowing in the wind at clahane definitely dangerous and red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Strongest gusts so far hitting now outside Newport, my weather station stopped reporting after 1 of the many storms so I have no data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The worst of this weather passed early on (thankfully) just wet and windy for the day - How do they keep getting it so wrong lately? I don't mind that they have but it's the hyping up before hand that makes it sounds like Armageddon and people will begin to ignore these forecasts.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Met eireann will have to start doing weather by postcode yet to satisfy the ones that constantly whinge.
    And even then they would find fault with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Pretzill wrote: »
    The worst of this weather passed early on (thankfully) just wet and windy for the day - How do they keep getting it so wrong lately? I don't mind that they have but it's the hyping up before hand that makes it sounds like Armageddon and people will begin to ignore these forecasts.

South Sligo
    90m asl
    Did you not see the 30 ton truck blowing over in galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Met eireann will have to start doing weather by postcode yet to satisfy the ones that constantly whinge.
    And even then they would find fault with it

All they need to do is follow the Met Office example in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

kerryjack wrote: »

Just a “ small lorry” according to someone earlier.

Shure happens them small ones all the time.dont know why they bother leaving the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

Lorry had to be empty - high sided with no weight in it

Not from here no. But it was a Red weather warning on Galway so its not a surprise - I'm not whinging btw - it's just cut the hype a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

4 large trees down over roads close enough to me , luckily no one was driving by at the time . Roads less busy today because of the orange warning. One tree was on a road close to a GAA pitch which cancelled matches because of the warnings so that particular road would have been busy with kids being driven or cycling up to a match.
    People can say what they want but the warning have an affect in keeping some people off the roads.
    The people giving out would be the first to complain if anything happened to them and no warning in place...
    people giving out the whole time about warnings is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

7 pm gusts

Mace Head - 56 kt (104 km/h)
    Finner, Sligo Airport - 54 kt (100 km/h)
    Valentia - 53 kt (98 km/h)
    Sherkin Island - 52 kt (96 km/h)

And people making it sound worse than it was and worse than its going to be is equally tiring and will have an adverse affect on how some view future forecasts.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    UK Met have Shannon down for top gust of 63 knots between 1 and 2pm, and Casement at 59 knots at during the mid afternoon period while Knock is on 49 knots later in the afternoon. Maybe a bit conservative but we'll see.

Actual results (so far)

Shannon: 59 knots between 1pm and 3pm.
    Casement: 57 knots between 3pm and 5pm
    Knock. 50 knots between 4pm and 5pm.

Knock still not out of the woods yet, as these gusty winds are still ongoing but all in all, not a bad performance from the UK Met at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Jizique wrote: »
    Lorry had to be empty - high sided with no weight in it

Looked like a rigid curtain sider. Should have had sides opened and tied back, no more than a big kite the way it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Top gust of 43mph/69kmph in South Laois at standard 10m recording height.

Hard to see that being topped looking at the trends over the past few hours:

wind.png *

*Live image will auto-update.

Advertisement