Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

5 pm

Highest gust is 62 kt (115 km/h) at Mace Head. Next are Casement on 57 kt (106 km/h), Oak Park on 54 kt (100 km/h) and Shannon on 52 kt (96 km/h).

Am more convinced now that it peaked offshore earlier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Recorded gust at Moneypoint 137km/ Shannon gusts give no indication of what the gusts were along the coast of Clare. Cannot compare Shannon to the rest of the county. There were lots of power outages all over the county as indicated here on the Clare FM report.

http://www.clare.fm/featured-2/status-red-alert-lifted-feeling-force-storm-jorge/

torres9kop wrote: »
    Biblical scenes here in D4. Looking out at coast is like Moses and the parting of the waters.

That happens twice a day in Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

torres9kop wrote: »
    Biblical scenes here in D4. Looking out at coast is like Moses and the parting of the waters.

That's just Mary Lou holding her latest Sinn Fein Mass Meeting and showing them the way to the promised land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nothing out of the ordinary in Dublin but that was to be expected.

https://twitter.com/sryanbruenphoto/status/1233803873820848128?s=20

• Advertisement

RoisinD wrote: »
    Recorded gust at Moneypoint 137km/ Shannon gusts give no indication of what the gusts were along the coast of Clare. Cannot compare Shannon to the rest of the county. There were lots of power outages all over the county as indicated here on the Clare FM report.

http://www.clare.fm/featured-2/status-red-alert-lifted-feeling-force-storm-jorge/

Moneypoint's wind is measured well above the standard 10 metres.

Here are all of Finnis Buoy's gusts throughout the day. The buoy is located just east of the Aran Islands, in the core of the Red Zone.

504240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saw that video, it was lucky there was nothing coming in the opposite direction.

That stretch of road is very exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The winds in Donegal were just about yellow level today. Orange level is not warranted. A lot of unnecessary worry and inconvenience caused not just in Donegal but also across the country. And before anyone says it, one or two short lived gusts over 130kmph on the extreme west coast does not warrant red level warning anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sdanseo wrote: »
    Just ventured up the military road - Wicklow foothills in the last 30 mins.

Freezing level and big visible flakes at 200m
    Some Sticking snow above 250m
    Proper sticking above 300m
    Winter wonderland above that. I bugged out at 360m just before the carpark. Wanted to push on (Bmw with xdrive but only new so no idea how good or bad it is). The little skid and no steering resistance as I turned round kind of justified my decision I think.

Sorry, completely went out of my head to get a picture :(

You made a wise choice, Xdrive is useless. You'd have been stuck up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

wind picked up again now after a bit of a lull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭jirafa

Lower Cork harbour more or less a safe haven mostly ,when it comes to storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

What is the timeline for this storm ?

This just shows how much weakening occured around noon today. This scan at 13:28 shows all speeds well below the 60+ knots measured earlier at 10:28 (second map). Earlier maps (03:57) when it was out west showed stronger winds, so yet again we dodged a bullet by a storm peaking before reaching us.

504242.png

10:28 scan
    504229.png

03:57 scan
    504199.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I predicted that this storm would be a damp squib. My posts were criticised and then deleted. But as usual. The pintman was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very strong gusts in Sligo now. Approaching 100kph.

I predicted that this storm would be a damp squib. My posts were criticised and then deleted. But as usual. The pintman was right.

Did you see the truck flipping over in Galway?

What sort of a muppet do you need to be to not understand that just because its not windy or stormy where you are doesn't mean its not stormy elsewhere?

Do you enjoy coming to these threads and being proven wrong, all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Top story on Rte news...it was windy for a time in Galway but no serious damage in this area not even a branch broke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No tv and broadband for past hour in Dublin 24 area. Anyone from virgin media to give a status on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Is the main part of the storm passed now?still pretty windy in D22 but not as bad as earlier....managed to get the dog out for a good run earlier but I'll need to get him out later or else he'll be hyper all night 😵

What were you basing your forecast on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Of course he did. He obviously has nothing else going on in his miserable existence other than to troll on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Did you see the truck flipping over in Galway?

What sort of a muppet do you need to be to not understand that just because its not windy or stormy where you are doesn't mean its not stormy elsewhere?

A small lorry blowing over in a strong gale in the west of Ireland on an exposed road on the coast is hardly newsworthy. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. It was a very windy day but nothing anywhere near exceptional. The storm peaked before it hit land. Which by the way I'm relieved about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Of course he did. He obviously has nothing else going on in his miserable existence other than to troll on boards.

How is he not banned

6 pm gust reports

Mace Head - 59 kt (109 km/h)
    Sligo Airport - 54 kt (100 km/h)
    Belmullet, Finner - 51 kt (94 km/h)

All others below 50 knots.

Perishing in Galway

A small lorry blowing over in a strong gale in the west of Ireland on an exposed road on the coast is hardly newsworthy. Let's not try to make something out of nothing. It was a very windy day but nothing anywhere near exceptional. The storm peaked before it hit land. Which by the way I'm relieved about.

You and Paddy Pintman seem to take joy in this storm not being much.

We've had deaths before in this country from storms like this.

The colour warning aims to reduce those deaths, but you and that muppet seem to take pleasure in trying to be right.

Don't bother, everone serious here has added you to their ignore lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't bother, everone serious here has added you to their ignore lists.

Well many like me just ignore the thread. Was going well today until the bickering started at about 3 (?). I just left the thread then and this is my first glance back.

Shameful bickering between supposed 'adults' here. Losing respect for some posters I know, and it really takes the enjoyment out of the contribution to these forums.

Went out and the wind literally knocked me over. I was going out then a sudden gust and I slipped and fell on my arse

And this is the main takeaway. The storm wasn't remotely as powerful as forecast, as Gaoth Laidir rightly stated: "we dodged a bullet". And others insisted on building it up. Another poster who doesn't live in Clare stated the red was justified, although I reside there and witnessed the whole event. Tempers are flaring for no reason, there should be a happy consensus that Jorge largely spared us the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

pauldry wrote: »
    Perishing in Galway

That’s some wind chill :)

Advertisement