Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

nthclare wrote: »
    Just did my drive, as far as Liscannor now.
    This place is epic, cars shaking.
    Pebbles flying through the air.
    Up high along the cliffs of moher its car shakingly serious.
    Back to Doolin ypu couldn't walk into the wind.
    The swells huge from Black head down.
    There's a ship sheltering outside, its rocking.

There was a sleet blizzard between Corofin and Ballyvaughan.

I think it could be winding down soon.

Yes it has been pretty bad, the worst in a long time. Thankfully most heeded the warnings. There were some who seem to think it's a great day for a bit of adventure in the car., especially with children in tow. Complete lack of responsibility or care for themselves or those who may have to help them out if they get in bother. I heard earlier of some who drove dangerously close to the pier in Doolin. Lots taking selfies too. There is a sad history around the dangers at Doolin but some don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It might be fine early in the day but imagine the traders trying to put away their gear when the wind picks up and then driving home in the thick of it.

Been there done thst many times and lost a canopy once. Killybegs. It literally walked me across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

It might be fine early in the day but imagine the traders trying to put away their gear when the wind picks up and then driving home in the thick of it.

That's the point, it was fine all day but the warnings put them off coming in in fear of what was supposed to arrive in the afternoon. I don't believe that all of Cork was expected to hit orange level but the warning system means if any of it does then the whole county gets the warrning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1233767263112716289?s=19[/quote]

If you look closely at the end the hut is still there it's just coming out of the spray but the video stops

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Some of our strongest gusts of the day here now in Central Mayo.

And out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The latest sea-state analysis from the OPC shows a significant wave height just off the west coast of 14 metres (eee below) Significant wave height is defined as the mean wave height of the highest third of the waves. There are higher ones out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Jorge has finally arrived here in Donegal. Rough out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rough here just outside Castlebar now. Power still on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Recent uptick in Athlone, now over 4m, only 35cm below all time record.

Dangan has reversed the downward trend too. Fairly lively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Was Mace Head the only station to record a Red level wind gust? 133 km/h at noon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The premiership scores must be coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Some nice snowfall in D15 atm although not a hope of it sticking the ground is too wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Was Mace Head the only station to record a Red level wind gust? 133 km/h at noon.

Yea it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Rough here just outside Castlebar now. Power still on.

Picked up a bit here outside Newport too. I seen a few ESB vehicles heading into Newport there so must be some power outage further west.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Not bad at all in Mullingar, blustery and wet. A few gusts, but nothing too serious.

Same as last storm , but similar conditions brought down a power line at the back door, last week .

So I am glad for any warnings of potential harm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Fortunately the storm has not been as severe as forecasted. The warnings yet again were excessive and Mer Eireann have to drop the warnings being based on a county basis.

It seems like we have an awful lot of variation within counties alright. And the warning system can be misleading in that sense.

Hearing it was very wild around west Clare this afternoon. But in Ennis, although strong gusts at times, it wasn't very bad - and really didn't warrant the all-county Red warning issued for the entire county.

I read the max. gust recorded at Shannon was around 98 kmh which I believe isn't even in the Orange category

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fortunately the storm has not been as severe as forecasted. The warnings yet again were excessive and Mer Eireann have to drop the warnings being based on a county basis.

I am just back from a walk along the shore close to Inverin Galway. The gust were as strong if not stronger than any I have felt certainly this year. My handheld recorded three gusts over 70 mph & it usually reads a bit low. The forecasts were spot on for here. The Red warning was primarily for areas close to the shore. The wind was strong enough to blow a lorry over & Maam Cross is relatively inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Biblical scenes here in D4. Looking out at coast is like Moses and the parting of the waters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It seems like we have an awful lot of variation within counties alright. And the warning system can be quite inaccurate in that sense.

Hearing it was very wild around west Clare this afternoon. But in Ennis, although strong gusts at times, it wasn't very bad - and really didn't warrant the all-county Red warning issued for all of Co. Clare.

I read the max. gust recorded at Shannon was around 98 kmh which isn't even in the Orange category

A lot of the variables such as topography and the wind direction etc isnt taken into consideration.
    If it was high tide at 1 today the wind would have hard more traction to gain momentum.

But with the lower tides the wind is slightly chopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bar 2/3 crazy hours earlier it been a fairly standard windy day in south mayo
    But that’s prob Cos we have been battered for last few months so just feels normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

km79 wrote: »
    Bar 2/3 crazy hours earlier it been a fairly standard windy day in south mayo
    But that’s prob Cos we have been battered for last few months so just feels normal

Yep apart from the odd bad gust here its nothing mental!

South of Westport here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Discodog wrote: »
    I am just back from a walk along the shore close to Inverin Galway. The gust were as strong if not stronger than any I have felt certainly this year. My handheld recorded three gusts over 70 mph & it usually reads a bit low. The forecasts were spot on for here. The Red warning was primarily for areas close to the shore. The wind was strong enough to blow a lorry over & Maam Cross is relatively inland.

Saw that video, it was lucky there was nothing coming in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Definitely picked up here in South Wicklow in the past half hour or so. A few very very strong gusts now pushing trees to their limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It seems like we have an awful lot of variation within counties alright. And the warning system can be misleading in that sense.

Hearing it was very wild around west Clare this afternoon. But in Ennis, although strong gusts at times, it wasn't very bad - and really didn't warrant the all-county Red warning issued for the entire county.

I read the max. gust recorded at Shannon was around 98 kmh which I believe isn't even in the Orange category

Shannon had max gust readings of 109km/h at 2 and 3 oclock.
    110km/h is min orange

Hard heavy rain sideswiping now. The ocean a maelstrom. Getting darker already. STORM...... HOR HAY!! HOR HAY!! GO AWAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Definitely picked up here in South Wicklow in the past half hour or so. A few very very strong gusts now pushing trees to their limits.

Gusting 80kmh in Arklow Wsw atm
    For context last Sunday it gusted 109.4kmh Sw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just ventured up the military road - Wicklow foothills in the last 30 mins.

Freezing level and big visible flakes at 200m
    Some Sticking snow above 250m
    Proper sticking above 300m
    Winter wonderland above that. I bugged out at 360m just before the carpark. Wanted to push on (Bmw with xdrive but only new so no idea how good or bad it is). The little skid and no steering resistance as I turned round kind of justified my decision I think.

Sorry, completely went out of my head to get a picture :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's sunshining in North Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Status Orange wind warning for Donegal until midnight, but there's hardly a breeze out there now in the far north.

And i wouldn't say it was windy earlier either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

It's sunshining in North Kerry :)

I know you are not used to it, but it's generally referred to as being 'sunny' ;)

Advertisement