Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Dictionary definition of forecast is to predict or estimate. Its not 100% accurate. Warnings were issued on best available data. Its easy to say they were wrong after the event. If some people have such a problem with warnings go about your day as normal. Since warnings have come into effect I notice a lot less debris after storms as people check that everything is secure. Using a county system is a lot better in my opinion than splitting them up. Otherwise you will have people on here asking for example (I have to drive from the Tulla road in Ennis orange warning to the Kilrush Road red warning will I be ok).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The warnings were about right, given the best information at hand in advance of the event. The Red Zone did shrink to a much smaller region than the two counties, but it's easy to be wise the event. The county-based system is a bit silly alright, however only on a map. Reading the supporting text that usually comes with these warnings, the emphasis on strongest winds in coastal parts will always be highlighted. So somone in east Galway will know that the highest end of the quoted winds will apply to coastal areas, with a decrease further inland. I agree that sometimes this supporting text could be written more clearly, and that closing down a whole county based on a red warning issued for just a small part of it is not a way to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Flood-hit South Wales has declared a critical incident after Storm Jorge heralded its arrival with heavy rain and strong winds, as Britain endures its fourth weekend of downpours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Switch over to Dublin v Tyrone to see the raw power of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Someone in east Galway uses their judgement. The warning clearly stated 'exposed areas' and not coastal. Most areas in Co. Galway, being a rural county, are exposed. This red warning was not justified for the greater part of the region. Full stop.

And this is something I said last night, before the storm with the 'best information at hand'.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Danno wrote: »
    Top gust of 43mph/69kmph in South Laois at standard 10m recording height.

Hard to see that being topped looking at the trends over the past few hours:

wind.png *

*Live image will auto-update.

Top gust in Arklow, also at standard 10m height on the Davis was 85.3kmh at 520 pm
    We actually had a number of much stronger gusts here during last sunday afternoon's squal peaking at 109.4kmh around 245pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

moeblogs wrote: »
    Flood-hit South Wales has declared a critical incident after Storm Jorge heralded its arrival with heavy rain and strong winds, as Britain endures its fourth weekend of downpours.

Wales has been thoroughly neglected by the UK. But they voted in favour of Brexit all the same.

Wales is a great place to visit, stunning in fact, but I would not tolerate the low standard of living in many places there due to neglect. Welsh Assembly is a talking shop. Funds come from Westminster. So behave and say nowt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The warnings were about right, given the best information at hand in advance of the event. The Red Zone did shrink to a much smaller region than the two counties, but it's easy to be wise the event. The county-based system is a bit silly alright, however only on a map. Reading the supporting text that usually comes with these warnings, the emphasis on strongest winds in coastal parts will always be highlighted.

I'd have no problem in general with the Orange & Red warnings. It was wrong today for the east & southeast but I guess that's because the depression track moved a bit.

The Yellow warnings are quite counter productive though - basically you're advising people in Ireland in winter to bring a raincoat & hat as you might get a bit wet. If you're that stupid, you deserve to get a bit of a soaking and it'll learn you for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The colour warning aims to reduce those deaths, but you and that muppet seem to take pleasure in trying to be right.

The “colour warnings” are a load of old tosh. Whatever the parameters for the coding needs to changed.

The “yellow” one has become a complete joke that nobody pays any heed to. We’ve an “orange” one outside right now but it’s not going to stop me, or anyone else, from heading out to get milk.

This wind should be the yellow “warning” so we don’t get these announcements and, unnecessary, news articles every 3, or 4, days. It’s a good strong wind that might blow some paper or loose cardboard onto your windscreen.

Worse than this would be the real “orange” one and the “red” would be used for the most extreme cases.

At least implement these changes for Dublin. It’s fairly standard, at this stage, that the west, and northwest, will be getting a, near constant, throughout the winter and on into spring but over here we get a fairly “watered down” version of whatever hit there.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have to agree about the warnings the Yellow is a joke people here in Galway laugh at them they are just a normal windy wet day ,The Orange and Red are ok but when to issue them is the problem

• Advertisement

Yes, there should be no such thing as a Yellow "Warning". It does not signify any severe weather, so there's no need for it. Orange is where things should start to be mentioned and let this yellow nonsense be part of the standard forecast.

Amyway, this is off-topic a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes, there should be no such thing as a Yellow "Warning". It does not signify any severe weather, so there's no need for it. Orange is where things should start to be mentioned and let this yellow nonsense be part of the standard forecast.

Amyway, this is off-topic a bit.

The colour coding won't change as long as we are a member of the meteoalarm group simples

8 pm and now Sherkin Island has taken over the torch from Mace Head, with 54 knots. Mace Head 53 knots. Donegal Airport now up to 50 knots for the first time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Actual results (so far)

Shannon: 59 knots between 1pm and 3pm.
    Casement: 57 knots between 3pm and 5pm
    Knock. 50 knots between 4pm and 5pm.

Knock still not out of the woods yet, as these gusty winds are still ongoing but all in all, not a bad performance from the UK Met at all.

Local radio in Clare reported a top speed of 137kmh at Moneypoint Power Station. Was back around that way around 4pm and it was still wild enough out. Sea was raging at Kilkee.

IMO the colour warnings from Met Eireann are fine, it's every tabloid rag running off with sensational headlines to entice clicks and paper purchases that are the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As it happens I must have angered the weather gods with my questioning and the wind and rain have started up here again in earnest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Storm still very rough here in SW Donegal

When my dodgy fence panel (that I have been threatening to sort out for a year or so) remains intact, it is a windy day, no more.

Hope all in the eye of it in the West are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Some extremely strong gusts accompanying showers here in Castlebar. Quite dangerous actually if your caught by surprise in one. Was almost blown off my feet walking across the car park.

Along with the warning system, this 'storm naming' concept should also be scrapped. I fail to see the point of it, because in fairness, named storms are rarely if ever, what you would call true storms. Maybe just restrict naming to actual beasts, and not just standard Atlantic depressions that might head our way? Take 'Debbie' for instance, that name is remembered by those who experience it and those who came after, because it was a storm worth remembering.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Along with the warning system, this 'storm naming' concept should also be scrapped. I fail to see the point of it, because in fairness, named storms are rarely if ever, what you would call true storms. Maybe just restrict naming to actual beasts, and not just standard Atlantic depressions that might head our way? Take 'Debbie' for instance, that name is remembered by those who experience it and those who came after, because it was a storm worth remembering.

True Debbie was a beast and I survived it and will never forget it

• Advertisement

The problem is that no one will take any notice of these red, orange or yellow warnings anymore now.

Too much information can be counter productive.

But then again if they DON'T predict something that is dangerous, the sht will hit the fan.

I dunno anymore. But I enjoy the threads anyway.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Local radio in Clare reported a top speed of 137kmh at Moneypoint Power Station. Was back around that way around 4pm and it was still wild enough out. Sea was raging at Kilkee.

IMO the colour warnings from Met Eireann are fine, it's every tabloid rag running off with sensational headlines to entice clicks and paper purchases that are the real problem.

To hell with the press though, I expect nothing less from them. My point is that counties such as Galway, which is the 2nd biggest county in the land, cannot be narrowed down to a single warning in situations like this. Such warnings might work much more effectively with the smaller counties of the east, however, but as someone suggested earlier on, if warnings are going to be used, then break up the bigger counties into smaller regions. At least that way these warnings can be narrowed down just a tad.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd prefer that they continue to give us the best information they have in the best way they can.
    Those of us who are able to do our risk assessments and take the necessary precautions deserve that.
    The people who can't be bothered will eventually get the message or suffer the consequences.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    True Debbie was a beast and I survived it and will never forget it

Before my time but I have listened to so many incredible stories from people who actually experienced it in the region that I feel that. in some strange way, I have almost experienced it myself. Such a storm cannot be comprehended today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That was a windy and miserable day here in S Monaghan and as bad as we have had in a while but, while I accept it was much worse elsewhere around the country, it did not warrant an orange warning for this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

South Sligo

Snow and hail in the morning, very cold and a bit windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Relax, lads. No more storms, as Ireland files restraining order against storms in the high court:
    https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2020/02/28/ireland-files-restraining-order-against-storms-in-the-high-court/
    Sorry, I know that's off topic, but I'm getting bored with the colour coding problem and the 'it's not windy enough in my back yard even for a green alert' complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Switch over to Dublin v Tyrone to see the raw power of the wind.

That Tyrone keeper has played in a gale before - fair play to him, excellent scores and fully deserved MOTM.

nthclare wrote: »
    The wind was so strong in Doolin today that you had to face the land to take a breath.

It was the first time in my life I had to turn my back on the ocean and face the land in order to breathe.

I know there was worse storms but bang on 13:35 today the wind was the strongest gust I ever stood in while not in shelter.

There was pebbles blowing in the wind at clahane definitely dangerous and red.

This is a key post as to why people are disappointed with the 'non event' storms.
    Someone said it better before me - people are looking out through triple glazed windows with a cup of tea posting 'what's the big deal?' while people like this guy are outside experiencing the storm.
    Maybe some people are afraid to go outside for fear of endangering the emergency services.

• Advertisement

Winds at 18:08 this evening.

504253.png

Advertisement