Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Bristol flight just passed over our house en route to Cork airport - it was rocking :eek:

Aerlingus regional Birmingham flight on the way now.
    Ryanair London stansted is in a hold north of cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Wind still whipping.east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭endainoz

A few vigorous gusts in mid-Clare, but nothing unusual to be honest. Regard it is as a standard winter storm, the red warning surely only applies to immediate vicinity of coast. Around midday, the local shops were clogged with people rushing to buy "emergency" provisions. Met Éireann need to doctor their warnings system to exclude county boundaries, accuracy as number one priority.

There is a specific thread for whinging about the warning system, perhaps you should go use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Your quote was probably not really intended to be in that post, did one of them quote you? I wouldn't take that as directed at you, just some accident of the multi-quote perhaps?

I was quoted aswell

Water levels still declining but there is heavy rain here which will make an impact tomorrow.

Shannonbridge: https://waterlevel.ie/0000026028/0001/

Dangan: https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/ (sharp drop in recent hours)
    Recent uptick in Athlone, now over 4m, only 35cm below all time record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Shannon gusting 59 kt (109 km/h) at 2 pm. Mace Head 66 kt (122 km/h), Belmullet 37 kt (69 km/h), Newport 35 kt (65 km/h). No wind report from Athenry.

Finnis Buoy reported 75 kt (139 km/h) at 12:55, 66 kt (122 km/h) at 13:13 and 69 kt (128 km/h) at 13:31.

Here's the midday analysis.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022912_000.png

Athenry wind reading is up now, 52km/h average, 96km/h gust

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A few vigorous gusts in mid-Clare, but nothing unusual to be honest. Regard it is as a standard winter storm, the red warning surely only applies to immediate vicinity of coast. Around midday, the local shops were clogged with people rushing to buy "emergency" provisions. Met Éireann need to doctor their warnings system to exclude county boundaries, accuracy as number one priority.

Very crude, childlike example but something like this would work far better in my opinion, because its just basic common sense.

1w1V9uU.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

degsie wrote: »
    Getting blowey in whest Dublin

This is the weather forum, Sir!

endainoz wrote: »
    There is a specific thread for whinging about the warning system, perhaps you should go use it.

You're doing yourself no favours with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Very crude, childlike example but something like this would work far better in my opinion, because its just basic common sense.

1w1V9uU.png

Superior methodology to Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

aido76 wrote: »
    Aerlingus regional Birmingham flight on the way now.
    Ryanair London stansted is in a hold north of cork.

Listening to ATC now and the Stobart Aer Lingus regional just landed.
    Ryanair considering Shannon.

Edit.SNN not an option with winds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Bristol flight just passed over our house en route to Cork airport - it was rocking :eek:
    Landed on the shorter Runway 25, another ATR from Birmingham following it in now. Meanwhile RYR14NB from Stansted is in the hold to the north of Cork Airport and it looks like RYR4776 from Manchester to Shannon is off to Dublin after two missed approaches at Shannon.

1w1V9uU.png

Yes, the warnings should be based on geographical regions not political boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could you not post these about Cork Airport etc in the Aviation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

nthclare wrote: »
    Just did my drive, as far as Liscannor now.
    This place is epic, cars shaking.
    Pebbles flying through the air.
    Up high along the cliffs of moher its car shakingly serious.
    Back to Doolin ypu couldn't walk into the wind.
    The swells huge from Black head down.
    There's a ship sheltering outside, its rocking.

There was a sleet blizzard between Corofin and Ballyvaughan.

I think it could be winding down soon.

Would love to see a dashcam video of that drive put to Kanye Wests " Flashing lights" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Could you not post these about Cork Airport etc in the Aviation forum

My apologies, though it was weather related. Will do that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its true, a system like the UK Met is more credible. I mean in the previous storm they posted an amber warning over the Welsh mountain ranges that looked like a mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Samsgirl wrote: »

Ignore him...not a mod. Oops neither am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gusting to low 40kmh on the Dingle Peninsula temp around 8. Steady 20kmh otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

Or how about people just not react completely disproportionately to a red warning of 4 hours duration. The advice was perhaps consider staying in for the afternoon, not clear the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Samsgirl wrote: »

It is weather related, so feel no need to apologise.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It is weather related, so feel no need to apologise.

Well I posted that because it's all the go in the Aviation forum with weather related go around and diversons

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

nthclare wrote: »
    Just did my drive, as far as Liscannor now.
    This place is epic, cars shaking.
    Pebbles flying through the air.
    Up high along the cliffs of moher its car shakingly serious.
    Back to Doolin ypu couldn't walk into the wind.
    The swells huge from Black head down.
    There's a ship sheltering outside, its rocking.

There was a sleet blizzard between Corofin and Ballyvaughan.

I think it could be winding down soon.

We ventured to Doolin pier at 1pm...wild horses out there! Visited Lahinch too...lots of people driving round prom and people out walking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yes, the warnings should be based on geographical regions not political boundaries.

Ya,as the crow flies there are parts of North Kerry that would be very close to Clare so as one of the lads said last night when we were chatting about a red warning for Clare we were saying why wasn't Kerry included

Its wild enough here now

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

After an hour or so of relative calm while pressure was at its lowest (around 962hPa),and the temp. creeping up to 5,8º, it is now blowing roaringly hard again close to Westport. Pelting rain sideways with current temp. 5,3º and barometer 963hPa, rising slowly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sorry, but why am I told not to post on this thread again for posting a link to a Galway webcam? :confused:

Sorry wrong person

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

We ventured to Doolin pier at 1pm...wild horses out there! Visited Lahinch too...lots of people driving round prom and people out walking!!!

Oh id love to making out with gf at doolin pier in that storm ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh id love to making out with gf at doolin pier in that storm ! Lol

4-CD1-BCFE-5-A1-D-4110-8366-C696-C2-DCA438.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

watlantic wrote: »
    After an hour or so of relative calm while pressure was at its lowest (around 962hPa),and the temp. creeping up to 5,8º, it is now blowing roaringly hard again close to Westport. Pelting rain sideways with current temp. 5,3º and barometer 963hPa, rising slowly.

And barely a breeze only a few miles north close to Newport. I'm sure it'll pick up again soon thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Satellite-derived surface winds at 10:28 this morning.

504229.png

Advertisement