Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Whats the betting that the video clip of the lorry being blown over on an exposed road in a gale in February in the west of Ireland will be played to death in the media as it will be the only storm related incident to show? Or a few branches on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A day like today and summer seems a long way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

john why wrote: »

He hadn’t even the brains to say where “here” was.

Oh look, bully accuses another poster of having no brains...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Camera beginning to wobble a bit in High street, but folks going about their daily business as normal:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ireland/galway/high-street-cam.html
    easypazz wrote: »

Oh look, bully accuses another poster of having no brains...

Mod note
    Don’t post in this thread again please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Very windy in Munster. Any updates on the weather, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What are the chances of this passing Kildare fully by 7pm?

West of Athlone, now frequent heavy squalls of sleet with temperatures 1.5C, pressure 970 and still falling.
    Well sheltered here so max wind gusts only 40kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Back to the storm

Starting to rain here in North Cork, very steady gusts. No scary gusts yet like the last 2 storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

mloc123 wrote: »
    What are the chances of this passing Kildare fully by 7pm?

What do you mean fully?

The wind will be dying but it's not as if the storm is just going to stop either, it'll still be gusty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Don’t have time to go through the last few pages rite now but will be going back through the thread to issues cards and bans as what I’ve seen is totally unacceptable from grown adults .

It’s seems the untimely passing of Caroline Flack is lost on some , be kind or say nothing at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

Whats the betting that the video clip of the lorry being blown over on an exposed road in a gale in February in the west of Ireland will be played to death in the media as it will be the only storm related incident to show? Or a few branches on the ground?

Extremely slim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mod note
    Don’t post in this thread again please

Sorry, but why am I told not to post on this thread again for posting a link to a Galway webcam? :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Gusting with snow / sleet here first thing this morning and again in the last half hour.

North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Water levels still declining but there is heavy rain here which will make an impact tomorrow.

Shannonbridge: https://waterlevel.ie/0000026028/0001/

Dangan: https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/ (sharp drop in recent hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Bristol flight just passed over our house en route to Cork airport - it was rocking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Maam cross co galway 29/02/20 12.20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon gusting 59 kt (109 km/h) at 2 pm. Mace Head 66 kt (122 km/h), Belmullet 37 kt (69 km/h), Newport 35 kt (65 km/h). No wind report from Athenry. EDIT: Reporting now, gust 52 kt (96 km/h).

Finnis Buoy reported 75 kt (139 km/h) at 12:55, 66 kt (122 km/h) at 13:13 and 69 kt (128 km/h) at 13:31.

Here's the midday analysis.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022912_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Dark here in South Tipp, wind gusting away. Had some snow earlier but rain now. Hoping the power doesn't go

A few vigorous gusts in mid-Clare, but nothing unusual to be honest. Regard it is as a standard winter storm, the red warning surely only applies to immediate vicinity of coast. Around midday, the local shops were clogged with people rushing to buy "emergency" provisions. Met Éireann need to doctor their warnings system to exclude county boundaries, accuracy as number one priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Looks like the low will be easing away. 965 hPa steady West of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Been fairly sustained here in North Galway but not as bad as some of the other storms we've had in recent months. We'll see what the tail of this one brings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Non event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seems to have blown itself out here. Still breezy but more quietly so.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Shannon gusting 59 kt (109 km/h) at 2 pm. Mace Head 66 kt (122 km/h), Belmullet 37 kt (69 km/h), Newport 35 kt (65 km/h). No wind report from Athenry.

Finnis Buoy reported 75 kt (139 km/h) at 12:55, 66 kt (122 km/h) at 13:13 and 69 kt (128 km/h) at 13:31.

Here's the midday analysis.

If I hadn't given my anemometer away to another poster here I could have popped down for a manual reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

Up here just west of Ennis we are mostly ticking over in the 30-40mph mark and then hefty gusts in the 50-60mph range.
    Highest gust so far was 64mph and that was at 10am this morning strangely! Feels much windier now than before noon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Just did my drive, as far as Liscannor now.
    This place is epic, cars shaking.
    Pebbles flying through the air.
    Up high along the cliffs of moher its car shakingly serious.
    Back to Doolin ypu couldn't walk into the wind.
    The swells huge from Black head down.
    There's a ship sheltering outside, its rocking.

There was a sleet blizzard between Corofin and Ballyvaughan.

I think it could be winding down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sorry, but why am I told not to post on this thread again for posting a link to a Galway webcam? :confused:

Your quote was probably not really intended to be in that post, did one of them quote you? I wouldn't take that as directed at you, just some accident of the multi-quote perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Horrible day, in terms of cold and sleety snowy wet precipitation. Windy but nothing we haven't seen before. Not worth a yellow (wind) warning here in the Midlands TBH. The rain sleet and snow accumulation is of concern however on top of all the previous inundations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have to say that it was no way as bad as I expected in Galway the worst was during a squall line passed around midday when the wind was gusting to around 70mph it's been just a normal strong gale since, I felt sorry for all the people working in shops waiting at bus stops after finishing early, there were no busses as they had all stopped and they were drenched with the rain.

Advertisement