Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Corona Virus and events

13468973

Comments



  • robinph wrote: »
    Shouldn't require additional medical personell at an event because of this. If someone is ill they won't turn up, the same as normal, if someone catches it at the event they don't instantly fall down and die.

    There may be a need for additional crowd management people to get people going where you want them to and when, and those kind of roles are at more risk of picking up an infection from the assembled runners than the runners are themselves. So could see a reason to cancel due to lack of staff for that type of thing.

    Civil Defence personal are to be withdrawn from all events from tomorrow morning until further guidance is gotten from the Department of Defence, I expect all voluntary groups will now seek assurances from event management/local authorities regarding the safety of their members.




  • I am planning to defer my lottery entry for London Marathon (my training fell apart as I had a fall, still recovering from it).

    However if they were to postpone it to October / November (and if it's not clashing with DCM) I would love to do it.

    Not sure if I can deffer it now and then 'cancel the deferral' if they were to postpone it. Also what would happen to the place if they cancel it.

    Personally, with the corona situation like it is today, I wouldn't have ran London even if my training was on track. I do not fancy being that person who brought the virus to an elderly relative or someone in the neighborhood with an underlying health condition.





  • Drove a lap and a bit of this earlier-

    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4632946335

    Undulating with some tough drags. The biggest issue is the road surface, one section is a bog road where the surface is shocking.




  • sideswipe wrote: »
    Drove a lap and a bit of this earlier-

    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4632946335

    Undulating with some tough drags. The biggest issue is the road surface, one section is a bog road where the surface is shocking.

    Thanks for that-nicely paced too.




  • Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks for that-nicely paced too.

    2 litre diesel;)


  • Advertisement


  • sideswipe wrote: »
    Drove a lap and a bit of this earlier-

    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4632946335

    Undulating with some tough drags. The biggest issue is the road surface, one section is a bog road where the surface is shocking.

    Nice to have an idea of the route. I'm signed up for the 3/4 race for that as part of my training for the currently still on but probably going to get cancelled/postponed like the rest marathon in Prague




  • Our running friends across the pond have put a 'live update' together re race cancellations but it's slower than even the most basic screen-scraper algorithim in obtaining and presenting the data:

    https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/live-update-how-coronavirus-is-affecting-running-events/

    The Athletics Ireland twitter feed keeps a (somewhat increasingly forelorn?) reference to the European Cross-Country in December. On a happier note it's good to see the 'indoor masters' coverage:

    https://twitter.com/irishathletics?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor




  • positron wrote: »
    I am planning to defer my lottery entry for London Marathon (my training fell apart as I had a fall, still recovering from it).

    However if they were to postpone it to October / November (and if it's not clashing with DCM) I would love to do it.

    Not sure if I can deffer it now and then 'cancel the deferral' if they were to postpone it. Also what would happen to the place if they cancel it.

    Personally, with the corona situation like it is today, I wouldn't have ran London even if my training was on track. I do not fancy being that person who brought the virus to an elderly relative or someone in the neighborhood with an underlying health condition.


    As far as I'm aware you can defer right up until the week for the marathon. So hold for for now would be my advise and if not cancelled you can defer the week of the marathon.
    FYI - if you have a GFA place you must have run the time in another marathon to defer to 2021 (e.g. dublin 2019 would do)




  • Q7 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you can defer right up until the week for the marathon. So hold for for now would be my advise and if not cancelled you can defer the week of the marathon.
    FYI - if you have a GFA place you must have run the time in another marathon to defer to 2021 (e.g. dublin 2019 would do)

    The deferral can be done until the day before at least.

    The GFA is now a bit more complicated in terms of how to keep the place.
    Allowing for inaccuracies with the dates and time just to try and have the following make sense...

    Run a 2:55 in 2018 and gain entry for the 2020 event. You also ran a 2:59 in 2019.
    The time you need to apply is sub 3:00 but the entry cut off for 2020 event was 2:57 so you get in because you used your 2018 time.
    Defer your 2020 entry to 2021.
    Assuming that the cut off for 2021 also works out at 2:57. You can no longer use your 2:55 time because it was too old, but as you defer then the cut off doesn't apply to you and you get in with the 2:59 time.

    However, if you do run the 2020 event and run 3:01 then you wouldn't be able to get in for the 2021 event. You can apply with the 2:59 time but will almost certainly miss out.

    That all assumes that the event goes ahead as per normal and you don't change age categories between the running of the time and the event date as well which adds another complication. Running 3:01 age 39 is no longer good enough to enter the run for if you'll be 40 on race day. You could apply with a 2:59, but the cut offs for 39 year olds would be applied not the cut off for a v40.


    But after all that, other than flight/ hotel cancellation clauses, I'd not worry about defering the VMLM entry at this point. They will either reschedule for later in the year and all cut offs and GFA qualification periods will have to be recalculated as well, or it cancells completely and everyone gets bumped to next year. Either way there will be outcry from people who feel wronged by the system.




  • Bratislava cancelled

    (I'm not desperately searching for a plan B to a possible Manchester cancellation, I swear.......)


  • Advertisement


  • Seeing as the parades are cancelled, do yas think all or most races will be cancelled for the next couple of months?
    Im registered for a few, and Im wondering about refunds..




  • Got an email from the Paris marathon organisers today. They basically said I can run it on October 18th or f***k off and I'm not getting a refund of my €100 entry fee.




  • Got an email from the Paris marathon organisers today. They basically said I can run it on October 18th or f***k off and I'm not getting a refund of my €100 entry fee.

    Does Paris sell out and do they normally have a deferral system?




  • Surely refunds will have to be offered as more things get cancelled.




  • Will the Rotterdam marathon be cancelled?

    It's on in four weeks on the 5 th of April.

    I did it last year but only up to 10 miles this year




  • Barktastic wrote: »
    Will the Rotterdam marathon be cancelled?

    It's on in four weeks on the 5 th of April.

    I did it last year but only up to 10 miles this year

    The CPC took place yesterday in Den Haag with more than 35,000 running across various distances so it’s possible it might. But like everywhere, there’s more cases of Corona being confirmed here each day.




  • Barktastic wrote: »
    Will the Rotterdam marathon be cancelled?

    It's on in four weeks on the 5 th of April.

    I did it last year but only up to 10 miles this year

    As of now, it's still going ahead. If there isn't a huge outbreak before then, then it will go ahead as planned.
    The same organisation handle the CPC Loop den Haag race that was on yesterday. It it went ahead with no problems. There is an outbreak further south of Rotterdam but not in that region.
    The Dutch people are not known to panic unless its warranted..




  • robinph wrote: »
    Does Paris sell out and do they normally have a deferral system?

    It was still open on the day they "deferred" it to Oct. 18th. I havnt seen anything on their site about deferring to next year. More information coming out on March 12th




  • Hearing some people post up that the St. Patrick’s Day half marathon in Mullingar has postponed now.




  • racersedge wrote: »
    Hearing some people post up that the St. Patrick’s Day half marathon in Mullingar has postponed now.

    Once parades are cancelled it kind of sets a precedent. I’d imagine there would be uproar if the mullingar parade was cancelled and yet hundreds of people ran a half marathon around town.
    I’ll say one thing it’s hard to keep the mojo going when all the training could be for nothing.


  • Advertisement


  • Ceepo wrote: »
    As of now, it's still going ahead. If there isn't a huge outbreak before then, then it will go ahead as planned.
    The same organisation handle the CPC Loop den Haag race that was on yesterday. It it went ahead with no problems. There is an outbreak further south of Rotterdam but not in that region.
    The Dutch people are not known to panic unless its warranted..
    Better get the milesin this week so.

    Weather has been so bad the last 6 weeks




  • I have 2 half marathon‘s the next 2 Sunday’s; Gorey and Wicklow. But I’m not expecting them to go ahead with the local parades cancelled.




  • DCM might start seeing a load of cancellations roll in now with all these marathons being postponed till October :pac:




  • racersedge wrote: »
    Hearing some people post up that the St. Patrick’s Day half marathon in Mullingar has postponed now.

    Confirmed on there Facebook page last night it’s postponed & new date to be announced.




  • Wonder if there will be a load of bandit races setup if this keeps going the way it's going, kind of like after New York was cancelled a few years back with the storm and the runners just set up their own marathon.

    I kinda like the idea to be honest, could be like the 90's illegal rave scene but for runners, god knows we've got more neon and possibly more drugs too.




  • god knows we've got more neon and possibly more drugs too.

    Like 90’s rave music, the drugs were better then to!!




  • MSBAC 5k cancelled.




  • MSBAC 5k cancelled.

    Had a feeling. Have you a link to the post?




  • that's unfortunate for them - Snow cancelled it in 2018 and now the virus.


  • Advertisement


  • Mallow 10 is cancelled :(


Advertisement