Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Here you go:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

There are a lot of different scenarios presented in there, but closing schools isn't rated as the most useful thing and is a potentially detrimental action to take. Also, if you close the schools you may get through until the summer, but then get hit with an even bigger outbreak in November under one of their models. Another alternative they modelled was shutting everything down for three months, opening thing up again, then shutting down again etc all based on the number of beds available in hospital at that moment...but that would have to continue for another 2 years and you basically have zero schooling during that time.

It is not a simple thing and it's going to get very, very bad.

I'd agree with the UK in keeping schools open.
    You then keep kids with the teaching population who for the most part are healthy young people. This also frees up grand parents to be able to keep a distance.

Now you have the young and old generations thrown together out of a necessity. I have first hand experience and it has caused more problems than it appears to solve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd say late July or Aug would be a time you'd expect to know where we stand for the remainder of the year.

Think we might actually be in a position where nothing is planned more than a month in advance. No big events for a couple of years. Things calm down for a bit and a few 10kms can be organised at short notice by clubs. Then things shut down again. Then you get a couple of short notice cross country races. Then things shut down again. etc

Unless we are very lucky and the virus burns out, or a vaccine is discovered next week, then we are entering a completely new world for a couple of years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The vast majority that have cancelled or postponed have been upfront and I'm fine with them not being able to offer refunds.
    The only one I've noticed being particularly vague is the GIR which being organised by AI surprised me to see, although there is a one liner about it being postponed you can still enter.
    They must be waiting on a permit for the park on a later date.

God help them but you couldn't invest in a date anytime
    this year with any confidence at the moment.

I would think though in general we will reach a point in the late summer where if things haven't tailed off then govts will have to strike a balance between returning to normal and restricted measures...
    I'd say late July or Aug would be a time you'd expect to know where we stand for the remainder of the year.

I think in the context of a race event, a lack of a refund should be excusable right now. With all the uncertainty, decisions to hold off on a cancellation and not offering a refund might help keep some companies, charities, local clubs, organisations and so go on.

In the end the money is gone when sent, booking place and actually taking part in the race would not change that.

It is not nice to not get value for money and I am sure lots of people would like to have an extra 30, 40, 50 euro right now but I do think overall the benefit or individuals getting some cash back is probably not that important.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ya forgot Notwork Error!!

How many accounts does one person need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Here you go:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

There are a lot of different scenarios presented in there, but closing schools isn't rated as the most useful thing and is a potentially detrimental action to take. Also, if you close the schools you may get through until the summer, but then get hit with an even bigger outbreak in November under one of their models. Another alternative they modelled was shutting everything down for three months, opening thing up again, then shutting down again etc all based on the number of beds available in hospital at that moment...but that would have to continue for another 2 years and you basically have zero schooling during that time.

It is not a simple thing and it's going to get very, very bad.

Thanks for that link but it’s NOT the evidence I was referring to (behavioural modelling).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

adrian522 wrote: »
    How many accounts does one person need :)

keep the undermining personal attacks coming lads, shows what little interest ye have in debate, a mod no less too. I've no problem chatting when ye want actual discussion and get tired of attacking the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Think we might actually be in a position where nothing is planned more than a month in advance. No big events for a couple of years. Things calm down for a bit and a few 10kms can be organised at short notice by clubs. Then things shut down again. Then you get a couple of short notice cross country races. Then things shut down again. etc

Unless we are very lucky and the virus burns out, or a vaccine is discovered next week, then we are entering a completely new world for a couple of years.

4 or 5 different camps claim to have a vaccine and in test phase. This can only give us hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This situation is tough and its going to get worse. I don't see any organised training much less racing over the next few months.

I've found these last few days very tough, I live alone and given the age of my parents there is no scope for a visit any time soon. I'm not really looking forward to the next few months at all.

Realistically the fact that races are not going on is really unimportant but for many of us it means a great deal. For me running is my main social outlet. From now it looks like this will become an exclusively solo exercise.

Wishing everybody all the best, hoping everyone follows the guidelines but so far I'm not seeing people doing that. Even in the supermarket people aren't giving enough space while queuing up.

I hope it'll be ok but I'm pretty worried about the next few months in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This situation is tough and its going to get worse. I don't see any organised training much less racing over the next few months.

I've found these last few days very tough, I live alone and given the age of my parents there is no scope for a visit any time soon. I'm not really looking forward to the next few months at all.

Realistically the fact that races are not going on is really unimportant but for many of us it means a great deal. For me running is my main social outlet. From now it looks like this will become an exclusively solo exercise.

Wishing everybody all the best, hoping everyone follows the guidelines but so far I'm not seeing people doing that. Even in the supermarket people aren't giving enough space while queuing up.

I hope it'll be ok but I'm pretty worried about the next few months in this country.

Irish Runner 5k and 5 miler likely to be next to bite the dust. Think July 1st at the earliest before anything gets staged.

It's also going to present challenges to organisers as water stations, finish areas, bag drop areas etc all will have to have new guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If the Olympics get postponed until 2021 (which would mean Eugene World Championships would need to move to 2022, which would in turn clash with Europeans), then I hope AAI, IMC etc have the common sense to push all meets/championships back to August/September so that there will still be an outdoor season. The UK track season goes well into September so it can be done despite the cooler temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I think they work around national seniors, so I guess it might depend on if there is one...

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If the Olympics get postponed until 2021 (which would mean Eugene World Championships would need to move to 2022, which would in turn clash with Europeans), then I hope AAI, IMC etc have the common sense to push all meets/championships back to August/September so that there will still be an outdoor season. The UK track season goes well into September so it can be done despite the cooler temperatures.

Usually better weather in Sept also

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It's also going to present challenges to organisers as water stations, finish areas, bag drop areas etc all will have to have new guidelines.

It would be interesting to see road races (including marathons) being self supported with no water etc. provided. It would take care of that problem and reduce waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I think these events will rely on people having their own water belts. Up until this I did think there would be a rise in people using their own water as races go plastic free. This will probably accelerate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm not expecting there to be a track season. It's going to be weird training all summer for maybe a time trial. Even if some events went ahead with a high risk missus I likely wont go.

The only positive is I'll probably be really fit from working at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Guill wrote: »
    I think these events will rely on people having their own water belts. Up until this I did think there would be a rise in people using their own water as races go plastic free. This will probably accelerate that.

Different weather admittedly from doing a race during the summer, but got within a minute of a 20mile PB at the weekend and didn't take any water or gels along the way from the water/ feed stations. Just had the gels I was carrying and nothing else as far as water was concerned except what was falling out of the sky.

Might put an end to the daft recommendations in the like of the London Marathon magazine saying drink a litre an hour or something equally dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I generally don't take water on for anything less that a 10 mile. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else as everyone is different but it works for me. Above that it's small sips at regular intervals so I don't fill my bladder, that's why a belt should be ok for me.

I was actually at a race last year that started handing back out partly used water bottles. It was a hotter than expected day and they ran out. Aside from the horror it caused then, imagine if it happened now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm not expecting there to be a track season. It's going to be weird training all summer for maybe a time trial. Even if some events went ahead with a high risk missus I likely wont go.

The only positive is I'll probably be really fit from working at home.

I find it hard to get motivated to train without races. I'm training right now under the assumption there WILL be some sort of a track season. It's the only way I'll go out of my way to train.

• Advertisement

echancrure wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see road races (including marathons) being self supported with no water etc. provided. It would take care of that problem and reduce waste.

Once the elites follows the same rules, its fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I saw a tweet by Ciarán Ó Lionaird (I think) during the week where he suggested that runners should see this an opportunity to train without being led by a short-term goal or race. I thought it was a good point.

You can take it as a chance to just build mileage without the pressure of having to introduce workouts to peak for a race or season or you could add in some element of training that you've never had the time to concentrate on before or sessions that you've wanted to have a pop at but that didn't fit into your training.

I'm hoping to just run more and I have a few ideas for sessions that I've wanted to try for a while. I might even do a long run over 16miles for the first time in 8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Commiserations I know the feeling, was feeling a bit down yesterday as cancelled a planned hike with a few people last min due to the current situation & between the parkrun cancellation & looking at all the races that have bit the dust was feeling a bit sorry for myself. Thankfully I had something to figure out for work & a bunch of episodes of the sci-fi series Altered Carbon on hand which stopped me moping around too much.

Feel a lot better today, didn't have to be in work 'til lunchtime so got in a handy 20k this morning. Actually maybe even a bit refreshing to run with no actual pace or structure to follow.

Hang in there....

opus wrote: »
    Commiserations I know the feeling, was feeling a bit down yesterday as cancelled a planned hike with a few people last min due to the current situation & between the parkrun cancellation & looking at all the races that have bit the dust was feeling a bit sorry for myself. Thankfully I had something to figure out for work & a bunch of episodes of the sci-fi series Altered Carbon on hand which stopped me moping around too much.

Feel a lot better today, didn't have to be in work 'til lunchtime so got in a handy 20k this morning. Actually maybe even a bit refreshing to run with no actual pace or structure to follow.

Hang in there....

Thanks Opus. Keep up the good work.

It should be a good opportunity for people to get a solid block of training in, particularly base building for hopefully a target race in the autumn.

I've been advised to stop exercising for the time being so no running at all for the next few days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, what's the furthest away big event that has and has not been cancelled or postponed?

I know Cork has gone from May 31st to Sept. 6th (which might be optimistic!!)

Are people just thinking Autumn at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, what's the furthest away big event that has and has not been cancelled or postponed?

I know Cork has gone from May 31st to Sept. 6th (which might be optimistic!!)

I'm not thinking anything at the moment. Anything is just pure guesswork at the moment, we might be back to racing in the autumn, or we may not.

My nearest event not cancelled at the moment is the Ironman in Youghal at the end of June but I really cannot see that going ahead. The other one is DCM, and I haven't a clue if that will go ahead or not.

I'm not thinking anything at the moment. Anything is just pure guesswork at the moment, we might be back to racing in the autumn, or we may not.

My nearest event not cancelled at the moment is the Ironman in Youghal at the end of June but I really cannot see that going ahead. The other one is DCM, and I haven't a clue if that will go ahead or not.

Optimistically I say June but no travel outside Ireland till Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Itziger wrote: »

I'm thinking 2021 to be honest, if we are lucky..This thing ain't going away soon..

ISOP wrote: »
    I'm thinking 2021 to be honest, if we are lucky..This thing ain't going away soon..

From what I saw going on today, I am losing all hope in people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

ISOP wrote: »

Agree with this don't see anything being back to normal until we develop anti-viruals/vacine or it runs its course through the herd.

My current plan is to still be vertical when this is over.

Advertisement