Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

The world is approaching a tipping point with this virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

fritzelly wrote: »
    Kuwait bans all flights to and from South Korea, Thailand, and Italy - they aren't taking any chances
    Pretty much guarantee at this point that all the Middle East countries have cases

Id say pretty much everywhere has cases now just a matter of being diagnosed.

imfml wrote: »
    On the 9 o'clock news tonights expert has just said in Ireland, the capacity to deal with a large outbreak is not there. Asked about what people in Ireland should do, he started giving stats from China. Bizarre

We are hopelessly unprepared here. We struggle with the common flu never mind something this lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Hand sanitizer and boxes of tissues were placed in all rooms in our workplace today...

Subtle :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Id say pretty much everywhere has cases now just a matter of being diagnosed.

That's why Ireland isn't testing - if you don't test you don't have cases - would kill the tourism here and the economy, I seriously believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The thing is, if testing isn't even happening in Ireland at the moment how do we even know when the outbreak begins?
    They are only testing people who were in contact with a confirmed case or was traveling from China, that's not much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have contributed nothing to this thread but have read most of it. Today I quietly (so as not to panic my kids) bought lots of tinned food and other non-perishables, lots of hand sanitizer, strong hand soaps, surface cleaning sprays, several packets of those Vitamin C fizzy tabs and other general multi vitamins. I'll pick up some other bits and pieces tomorrow.

We will use it all eventually so I feel better being prepared for the risk of a quarantine situation, self-imposed or otherwise.

The OH was shopping today and noticed that the shelves where the Vitamins etc are stocked- were practically stripped - that and a lot of the white wines from the drinks aisle :confused:

Could be just a coincidence of course ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Should we been thinking about cancelling any unnecessary travel abroad?

Depends where. Other than Iran China Korea Italy, the coronavirus is almost as likely to already be spreading here as most other countries in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Hand sanitizer and boxes of tissues were placed in all rooms in our workplace today...

Last week in our workplace they put up signs explaining how to wash our hands.

I'm hoping they tell us we can work from home in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The amount of people snorting and coughing without covering themselves is disgusting. You only notice it when something like this comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Would love anyone elses suggestions, a lot of those 'survival' lists get intense.... Like yourself its all stuff we will use eventually anyway.

Probably not a bad idea to have some power banks at the ready, stock up some water and make sure to have an alternative cooking source such as a camping stove or gas bbq (if you don't have an open fire or stove). Fuel and matches/candles etc.

Beans, tinned fish, lentils, peanut butter, jerky, nuts/seeds are a all good non perishable protein source if meat isn't available. Tinned fruit and veg again in case there's no fresh available. Home baking and bread making supplies.

Unlikely to need any of it but just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

For all those that think the flu is worse than the covid 19 virus ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWom9MlM0ug

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's why Ireland isn't testing - if you don't test you don't have cases - would kill the tourism here and the economy, I seriously believe that.

Nah don't buy that to be honest.

Would love anyone elses suggestions, a lot of those 'survival' lists get intense.... Like yourself its all stuff we will use eventually anyway.

Maybe pop on your wish list

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Official-Cookbook-Survival/dp/1683830784

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Ireland has about 2 days left before it spreads here. Will FG take the tough decisions needed to prevent that happening? Will they fook! Too in bed with big business interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

There is probably a high chance there are cases in Ireland but are unnoticed. My whole family were sick two weeks ago with coughs and high temperatures. I remarked to my husband so unusual to get a high temp with a cold. Whilst obviously I’m not saying we had Coronavirus, my point is people who weren’t very sick would have had no reason to visit a doctor. It only seems to become apparent when it infects vulnerable clusters of people. Lots of people seem asymptomatic without even factoring in the two week incubation period. I would think that if it’s spreading through Europe, there are almost certainly some cases in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Ireland has about 2 days left before it spreads here. Will FG take the tough decisions needed to prevent that happening? Will they fook! Too in bed with big business interests.

What are those tough decisions?

For all those that think the flu is worse than the covid 19 virus ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWom9MlM0ug

Of course its not. China didn't enact almost war time measures for nothing.

Anyway, looking at the countries in full swing, they seem to manage in terms of food supplies. The stock piling thing looks more like an initial reaction that settles once people realized that shops are still being replenished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Dave0301 wrote: »

So you work in a brothel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Heading off to Israel for a week on Saturday. Let’s roll the dice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

drkpower wrote: »

Close the boarders for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

drkpower wrote: »

Banning travel into the country.

There is probably a high chance there are cases in Ireland but are unnoticed. My whole family were sick two weeks ago with coughs and high temperatures. I remarked to my husband so unusual to get a high temp with a cold. Whilst obviously I’m not saying we had Coronavirus, my point is people who weren’t very sick would have had no reason to visit a doctor. It only seems to become apparent when it infects vulnerable clusters of people. Lots of people seem asymptomatic without even factoring in the two week incubation period. I would think that if it’s spreading through Europe, there are almost certainly some cases in Ireland.

Yep, I'm recovering from a bad flue, last time i was that sick was few years ago. Is there a very bad flue around at the moment on top of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

old_aussie wrote: »
    That ship has sailed, I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Actually, come to think of it, here’s the WHO video on hand washing. If we learn nothing more from the next few weeks other than how to wash hands, it will be useful! I have to do hand hygiene training regularly and you would be surprised the amount of areas missed when you don’t wash using this method. Water before soap is a must though! I used to work with people with very compromised immune systems- still in the habit of shouldering through the door and not touching the handle! Maybe this could be put somewhere visible for everyone? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmVJQUCm4E

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm recovering from a bad flue, last time i was that sick was few years ago. Is there a very bad flue around at the moment on top of this?

Hello Patient Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Mic 1972 wrote: »

I think so, everyone seems to have something. The non stop rain isn’t helping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

old_aussie wrote: »

How do you do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement