Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The one time Matthew Perry tried to speak and crack a joke Jennifer Aniston interrupted like a spoiled attention seeking kid.

He actually pulled her up but was like a mouse after it.

She is drama.

On the set they all missed his purple wall joke too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    On the set they all missed his purple wall joke too.

And Matt Le Blanc missed when Matthew Perry said "It's great to see you again Matt" when they were sitting in the chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

seamus wrote: »
    I said the same thing. He's a bit like Christopher Lloyd; has looked 70 for the past 40 years.

Larry Hankin was only in his mid-50s when he played Mr Heckles.

Yeah, ongoing for years. If you're binge-watching, you can see his weight go up and down drastically between seasons at times. But people even noticed the changes in him when it was just on regular TV.

He talked in the interviews about the pressure he felt from the audience to be funny and how crushed he was when a joke fell flat. And they showed a blooper where Matt was getting a load of laughs, so he jumped in for some of his own.
    I wonder did he feel to a certain extent - as the only character written to be the comedian - that he was carrying more of the burden of the comedy in the show than the others, which in turn led to more pressure.

Going by last night, you can definitely see how much the characters were shaped over time by the actual actors themselves. They began to converge to an extent. I know they had written Ross for Schwimmer, but you can see how alike the others are to their characters by the end. Aniston said at one stage that she couldn't remember something or other in the show, but then later details exactly what the other women were wearing on the first day they met. Which is a very "Rachel" thing to be able to do.

The whole thing was very American saccharine crap, but it was still decent to be able to see the reminiscing from the perspective of the original cast. It also kind of elevates any rewatching of the original shows. You often hear about massive infights that blow up in shows, and it taints episodes when you go back and rewatch, because subconsciously you know the actors were just going through the motions for the paycheque.

At least the interview put any sense of that to rest and you can watch it knowing that they were all having a blast at the time. (I'm sure the paycheques helped)

I think it is just who Matthew is that caused his issues. It is a lot of pressure to be funny week in, week out. I have to imagine imposter syndrome ramps up to 1 million when you are core to a multi million dollar show. Hopefully these days actors get a bit more help to help deal with it but I have no idea.

Enjoyed it. Really happy that they didn't go with a new episode or any such thing. It can only ruin the nostalgia and not add that much to the show. I liked the details behind the show. Talking about the beam, Monica using the apples for her lines, the huddle. Insisting on the huddle because of the injury does seem like a Joey thing.

Lisa did seem ambushed for smelly cat which seemed weird. I get the point was to give Gaga a chance to thank the querky one but you would think she could get a heads up.

Honestly I didn't think any looked that bad given the ages. The comments on looks are why they get it done. Like Matthew with his anxiety on stage I can definitely see women worrying about imperfections in the same way. Hate should be on the tabloids if you don't like that. Matt gained weight but whatever, he is not the only 50 year old with a few extra pounds and Matthew's history is not healthy for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think Le Blanc just opened up a whole new door for himself as a “dad”.

His new show Man With A Plan is literally just that - his wife goes back to work (or gets a promotion) that means Matt is now a stay at home dad.

The trailer does NOT look promising.

I wish they'd bring back Episodes. That's the best work any of the cast have done post-Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I am a massive Friends fan and it would take a lot for me not to love the Reunion show.

Watched it last night and absolutely loved it. Pure nostalgia for me and it captured everything great about the show.

They seemed to genuinely all be glad to be back in the same room together and the chemistry and gelling well together was still evident IMO. I found the set visits quite moving as it must’ve been so surreal to be back where it all started and ended and see the sets again.

The special guests were great but I wish they’d each been given more time. Seeing Janice, Gunther and the Gellers there was brilliant and they should’ve had more time to speak.

The “favourite” episodes of the Celebs with no other link to Friends could’ve easily been mentioned by the fans from around the world, absolute waste of money paying them to say what their favourite episode was IMO when they could’ve asked genuine fans the same thing and gotten the same answer but with more enthusiasm!

The table reads - genius idea and so funny seeing their reactions to each other’s lines when they would’ve had to keep straight faces when filming the scenes originally.

Loved hearing from Bright, Kaufmann & Crane too and I completely agree with what they said about the series being wrapped up in a tidy happy bow and they wouldn’t want to unpick it.

Thought it was very interesting to hear from the fans around the world, particularly from the young women featured who spoke about the impact it had on their lives.

I had no idea there was going to be an audience either - so jealous!! Wonder was it genuine fans or the usual relatives of the execs who got tickets.

All in all I loved it, was done perfectly and well put together spacing out the interview bits with the visits to set and the table reads.

Thought it was funny how they couldn’t remember certain episodes, they clearly haven’t rewatched it a thousand times like some others I know lol

I don’t have a strong opinion about James Corden but it certainly wasn’t the James Corden show. I read elsewhere that the cast asked for him to do the interview so they obviously have a good relationship there.

Can’t wait to watch it again!!

Edited to add - once you start messing with your face I’d say it’s hard to stop as you need to keep up whatever treatments you have, which is such a shame. Aging is a natural process of life and people shouldn’t feel they have to stall it or ruin their natural looks. Hollywood and tabloid culture have a lot to answer for. Also, why only the comments on Jennifer and Courtney’s faces? Very obvious that Matthew Perry has had work done to his face too but no mention of that? He didn’t seem well which was quite uncomfortable to watch in parts I felt. I hope he’s ok.

I think Courteney has stopped. She already admitted she got work done and she regrets it. It doesn’t look as bad as it did years ago.

The reunion was better than I expected. I just thought it would be an interview and a best bits show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I thought Le Blanc looked great to be honest, still a very handsome man with a great smile, even with a few lbs. More Joey to love! I think it can be strange at times seeing them older as they are preserved in time through reruns but the ones who aged naturally look all the better for it. I’ve no doubt Courtney and Jennifer would look much better had they left their faces well alone.

His new show Man With A Plan is literally just that - his wife goes back to work (or gets a promotion) that means Matt is now a stay at home dad.

The trailer does NOT look promising.

I wish they'd bring back Episodes. That's the best work any of the cast have done post-Friends.

I thought this was an ok watch, as others have said shame to see Matthew Perry looking unwell, hopefully he can sort himself out.

Episodes was a fantastic show, I know so few people who have actually seen it but Matt LeBlanc plays the role so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I thought Le Blanc looked great to be honest, still a very handsome man with a great smile, even with a few lbs. More Joey to love! I think it can be strange at times seeing them older as they are preserved in time through reruns but the ones who aged naturally look all the better for it. I’ve no doubt Courtney and Jennifer would look much better had they left their faces well alone.

Yep! I think, despite Matt Le Blanc having aged in the most obvious way (grey hair, put on weight), he’s the most handsome out of the men. He’s got that divilment about him and a twinkle in his eye, which is very attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

3sfo02ybes171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

Monday night tv! So good

Yes Monday night was comedy night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Felt bad for Matthew Perry, he looked & sounded like someone who’d had a stroke. LeBlanc Schwimmer & Lisa definitely seemed the most authentic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Have only been able to see the trailer so far, but I agree. Graham Norton has had him as a guest more than once and he always looks really well, and seems like such a lovely guy.
    Looking forward to watching the whole thing, when I can get access to it.

David Schwimmer, Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry also have all been on with Graham Norton, at different times, and came across well. DS was on with Mark Ruffalo and they were so funny together. JA was on with her 'sister' Reese Witherspoon. :D

Chandler was always my favourite Friend, and always will be.
    When MP was on the GN Show, his speech sounded very slightly strange, and he was enunciating his words very carefully. He really has been through a rough time, over the years, but hopefully things are going better now for him.

I thought this was an ok watch, as others have said shame to see Matthew Perry looking unwell, hopefully he can sort himself out.

Episodes was a fantastic show, I know so few people who have actually seen it but Matt LeBlanc plays the role so well.

I think Matthew has largely sorted himself out to be fair. And opened up a charity around it.

However I don't think you simply undo that much alcohol and drug abuse. I think you simply stop making it worse. He is also aging (shock horror) which makes it harder to get back old looks.

It was very emotional when Matthew said when they’d meet each other at events, that you’d have to explain to whoever else you were with that you will be excusing yourself, that you’ve just met someone really special and will be with them for the night. I’m so glad they all feel that way about each other. It validates the feelings the audience hold towards them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think Matthew has largely sorted himself out to be fair. And opened up a charity around it.

However I don't think you simply undo that much alcohol and drug abuse. I think you simply stop making it worse. He is also aging (shock horror) which makes it harder to get back old looks.

I’m not judging his looks in the traditional sense, none of us are getting any younger! I just thought he looked really quite unwell, about 15 years older than he actually is.

Chandler was a brilliant character, especially in the early episodes, sad to see him like this.

I’m not judging his looks in the traditional sense, none of us are getting any younger! I just thought he looked really quite unwell, about 15 years older than he actually is.

Chandler was a brilliant character, especially in the early episodes, sad to see him like this.

Indeed but I think age just highlights the damage he did in his youth. He was in hospital for a few months a few years ago as well. Essentially I think he will look unwell going forward, especially on TV events where he will probably always be anxious. He will likely always look older than he is.

From what is available online he does seem to be happier these days which is good. My first thought when I saw him was that he looks better than other tines I have seen him the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I just saw a clip on Youtube of them bringing out the trifle with the mince in it. That wasn't in the version I saw!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Where can we watch this tonight in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Where can we watch this tonight in Ireland?

Sky1 at 7pm tonight I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Matthew Perry has had pancreatitis. It might be chronic. Meant to be one of the most painful conditions someone can have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I enjoyed it but it really felt like ~3 different shows combined into one so tonally it was a bit all over the place.

The fly on the wall set visit, table readings, cast/staff talking heads and all the unseen footage felt like it was part of a prestige retrospective documentary and I thought it was great.

The James Corden hosted reunion interview felt like the cast were making an appearance on any run of the mill chat show (and that's not Corden's fault).

Then there was a mish mash of other stuff in between (the quiz, Gaga etc).

It seemed a little jarring that you had Matthew Perry sharing deep insight into the anxieties that came with performing in front of a live studio audience along side Justin Bieber dressed as Spudnik walking a catwalk.

I think they look better than most 50 year old women and I don’t mean because they started off better.

Had any of the females put on Joey’s weight they would be ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah go to bed and think positive thoughts.

No need for that pal, to each their own.

Could say the same to yourself.
    No idea why people would want to watch it. The trailer was enough for me to know what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No, there was every need for it. The thread is about a Friends reunion therefore will attract a lot of Friends fans but you came in BEFORE it had aired and sh1t all over it because you felt they were all doing it for the money. A cash grab you said.

I see you’re a big Liverpool fan. Your centre back VVD, earns €250,000 per week and he’s barely played a game in 2021.

The hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really enjoyed it, more than what I thought I would. For some reason, I felt a bit weepy at the start! Hopefully Matthew P will work through his issues.

I really enjoyed it, more than what I thought I would. For some reason, I felt a bit weepy at the start! Hopefully Matthew P will work through his issues.

I got emotional right at the start too which surprised me because I went into it rather cynically. But I really enjoyed it! I think if you were in any way a fan at all you would have found it enjoyable. Just to have them all together in the same room is enough, they don’t need to be acting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

His drug addiction dates back to his time in Friends.
    I remember reading one time that he said he had no memory of filming some of the series at all. His weight fluctuation during the series also was related to all of that afaik.

He has fought a long battle, and hopefully things are looking better for him now.

His drug addiction dates back to his time in Friends.
    I remember reading one time that he said he had no memory of filming some of the series at all. His weight fluctuation during the series also was related to all of that afaik.

He has fought a long battle, and hopefully things are looking better for him now.

Yeah you can really see his weight fluctuate throughout series which funnily enough completely bypassed me when I was a teenager watching it. But I think it’s season 7 he is a bag of bones and season 8 put on a lot of weight. He has really been through a lot, the poor guy. The way he was talking last night about wanting to make people laugh and struggling when he didn’t really made me think of the late Robin Williams. Such an amazingly talented actor who lit up my childhood but had his own demons. It’s almost sadder when the person suffering so badly inside was the source of such utter joy and happiness to everyone else. Why can’t they feel how they make us feel?! Anyway, I’m rambling.
    I’m sure he’s still struggling too with losing his brother Luke. Two very talented actors who brought a lot of entertainment to the 90s and 00s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

Yeah you can really see his weight fluctuate throughout series which funnily enough completely bypassed me when I was a teenager watching it. But I think it’s season 7 he is a bag of bones and season 8 put on a lot of weight. He has really been through a lot, the poor guy. The way he was talking last night about wanting to make people laugh and struggling when he didn’t really made me think of the late Robin Williams. Such an amazingly talented actor who lit up my childhood but had his own demons. It’s almost sadder when the person suffering so badly inside was the source of such utter joy and happiness to everyone else. Why can’t they feel how they make us feel?! Anyway, I’m rambling.
    I’m sure he’s still struggling too with losing his brother Luke. Two very talented actors who brought a lot of entertainment to the 90s and 00s.

Were they brothers?!

Advertisement