Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

I think they tried to help him out a lot with getting his points across because he seemed to be uncomfortable.

Definitely on Valium to get through this.

Chandler was my favourite character, hate to see him like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Surprised there was no mention of Ben or Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

Just finished watching it and really enjoyed it, it had a good few laugh out loud moments, which were badly needed. The script readings were excellent. Reminds me of my college days and the night Friends was on was comedy night and always consisted of Friends, Fr Ted and Dont Feed The Gondolas.... happy days.
    I think I'll start rewatching it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

TheG0AT wrote: »
    I thought so too, they looked most natural

Poor Joey ate a few too many sandwiches

Even though Joey has put some weight on, I thought he was the most natural looking. Very comfortable in himself. Ross and Phoebe aging well also.

Jennifer and Courtney, what can you say, they look horrendous. Their faces are terrible. I would always question how some women would go down that route over aging naturally. It always looks brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Haven't watched it as I don't have the packages, so I'm sure I will get to see it, the whole Friends thing reminds me of college too watching it in the Four Seasons Pub across from DIT Bolton Street, those colleges days with Oasis & Blur, no social media, god loved those days:)

Forgot to mention they bit where Matthew Perry mentioned he was sweating every episode thinking the audience wouldn't laugh at this jokes.

Just shows how some people are mental health needs to be taken more seriously everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

murt101 wrote: »
    Just finished watching it and really enjoyed it, it had a good few laugh out loud moments, which were badly needed. The script readings were excellent. Reminds me of my college days and the night Friends was on was comedy night and always consisted of Friends, Fr Ted and Dont Feed The Gondolas.... happy days.
    I think I'll start rewatching it now.

Monday night tv! So good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

UsBus wrote: »
    Even though Joey has put some weight on, I thought he was the most natural looking. Very comfortable in himself. Ross and Phoebe aging well also.

Jennifer and Courtney, what can you say, they look horrendous. Their faces are terrible. I would always question how some women would go down that route over aging naturally. It always looks brutal.

Matt was so relaxed in himself it was lovely to witness. He really enjoyed it! Jennifer looks bad, it’s sad to see. I’m not even sure what she has had done because her lips don’t look big or anything but her whole mouth area looks stretched. I hate commenting on how they look but it’s kind of unavoidable here. She really ruined her fantastic looks and I think she knows it too. She seemed a bit self conscious at times. Courtney looked overdone a few years ago but not as bad now but still has the same stretchy look like Aniston.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It really is a shame that women as naturally beautiful as Jennifer and Courtney choose to alter their appearances so much. Cox, in particular, is unrecognisable from what she originally looked like. She has been open about regretting the amount of work she's had done, but it's still terrible that actresses of a certain age feel they need to pump their gorgeous faces full of artificial crap to look better, when inevitably, it almost always makes them look a whole lot worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

David Schwimmer talking about how annoying Marcel the monkey was was hilarious. He turned into Ross while he was telling the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Also surprised that the special guests didnt feature Bruce Willis or Paul Ruud

Only part I disliked was lady Gaga. Didn't get the reference?

I just want to give matthew perry a big hug :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm assuming it was based on this version:

Edit: It won't link for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPSwnHMmNE&ab_channel=TBSTBS

• Registered Users Posts: 60,387 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Forgot to mention they bit where Matthew Perry mentioned he was sweating every episode thinking the audience wouldn't laugh at this jokes.

Just shows how some people are mental health needs to be taken more seriously everywhere.

Where he said he couldn't let Matt have all the laughs when Matt kept missing his mark and falling or the chair fell over and just has he hit his mark Matthew jumped in to get the quick laugh.

He really seemed to struggle mentally which no doubt lead to the drug issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

It's not a tv show though, but an obscene and literal puff piece prodded up by celebrities.

It's definitely one of the most hollow and cynical cash grabs I've seen in a long time.

No idea why people would want to watch it. The trailer was enough for me to know what's up.

Because it's nostalgia. It's interesting to hear what went on behind the scenes of the most memorable episodes. It's interesting (and kinda sad) to see how they've aged, especially since they were all very good looking people in their prime when it was on air.

Because there are very few truly classic comedies made and nothing even close to classic being made currently in comedy so it's nice to look back on one that was a phenomenon.

No one cares that they got paid for it. They were getting a mil a show each in the 90s what do you expect.

They look fine. If they had blimped out, got fat, went gray, lost elasticity in their faces we’d all be saying how they left themselves go.

Not that Matt looks bad, but men get away with putting on weight a bit more. Most 50 year old women look nothing like those two.

Well the reference was obviously from the smelly cat episode, but I hated that part too. Like the funny thing about the song was how bad it is including the singing (which in the episode she gets her vocals dubbed over by the record company when she records a video). Then Gaga comes on and over-sings it in this show offy try hard way with vibrato.

She was like the annoying bloke at the sesh who has to bring out the acoustic guitar and belt out songs to try and be the center of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I actually ended up enjoying it in the end after getting over the initial disappointment of realising it wasn't a new episode.

The worst parts of this was the celebrity fluff that didn't need to be there : James Corden (although he wasn't at his worst here tbf), David Beckham (why???), Mindy Kaling (she's great, but why here??), and the worst segment of them all, Lady Gaga. Christ that was cringe.

Courtney and Jennifer almost reminded me of watching The Irishman, they look like CGI versions of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Jennifer Aniston will always be unreal to me lads. Courtney on the other hand. Some change.

Joey was the most natural. Genuinely seems the bloke you'd have pints with down the pub and a bit of craic.

David I don't think changed much. Well spoken nice bloke

James 007 wrote: »
    Haven't watched it as I don't have the packages, so I'm sure I will get to see it, the whole Friends thing reminds me of college too watching it in the Four Seasons Pub across from DIT Bolton Street, those colleges days with Oasis & Blur, no social media, god loved those days:)

You can get a free 7 day trial of NowTV if you want to watch it, you'll have to put your card number in and download the player but it's not too much hassle. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was a good hour and a half and I cancelled the trial as soon as I had finished watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They look fine. If they had blimped out, got fat, went gray, lost elasticity in their faces we’d all be saying how they left themselves go.

Not that Matt looks bad, but men get away with putting on weight a bit more. Most 50 year old women look nothing like those two.

People in this thread really need to get over themselves. They're in their 50s, they're allowed age! If Matt lost weight he'd look 10 years younger, sure, but considering he's 53 and fat he actually looks good. Still has his charm and the grey hair suits him.

He seemed to be the one enjoying themselves the most. It's silly everyone is focusing on their looks so much, we have a show and characters that we can all quote with friends and family and always throw on to watch when we're bored, their looks don't matter.

Every time I'm getting a slice of cake I always think of this scene:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Looking forward to this tonight.

Not surprised about the positive comments of Schwimmer, Ross is my favourite character and is really the glue of the whole thing imo.

I always think the writers miss out on a lot of credit. No doubt they're probably the richest of the lot from the show but the writing is more important than the characters. David Crane, like John Sullivan is a genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Looking forward to this tonight.

Not surprised about the positive comments of Schwimmer, Ross is my favourite character and is really the glue of the whole thing imo.

I always think the writers miss out on a lot of credit. No doubt they're probably the richest of the lot from the show but the writing is more important than the characters. David Crane, like John Sullivan is a genius.

I don't think writers are all that well paid, at least when compared to the cast. There was that whole writers' strike thing over a decade ago now and that must have built up for a while.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was a nice bit of nostalgia that shouldn't be taken too seriously. I was worried when I heard Corden was doing the interviews but the way they set it up was very clever so the "interview" bit didn't seem to go on too long over the course of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Over the Lockdown last year, I'd watch a few episodes of Friends over lunch. At the time I think just how good looking Courtney Cox was got overlooked by Jennifer Aniston being there and bringing the likes of Elle McPherson et al in. She was stunning. By the time she was doing that Cougar show she'd already ruined it. Jennifer Aniston just seemed to have that bloated cheeks face relatively recently. She'd obviously had work done previously and it was much more subtle.

Schwimmer is busy working quite frequently so it should be no surprise that he's in the best "shap" of the lads who are all grand for 50+ men.
    I'm sure if Le Blanc had a show starting after summer he'd drop the weight relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Jennifer ruined herself. Unrecognisable in this photo.

1_PAY-MAIN-Jennifer-Aniston.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I am a massive Friends fan and it would take a lot for me not to love the Reunion show.

Watched it last night and absolutely loved it. Pure nostalgia for me and it captured everything great about the show.

They seemed to genuinely all be glad to be back in the same room together and the chemistry and gelling well together was still evident IMO. I found the set visits quite moving as it must’ve been so surreal to be back where it all started and ended and see the sets again.

The special guests were great but I wish they’d each been given more time. Seeing Janice, Gunther and the Gellers there was brilliant and they should’ve had more time to speak.

The “favourite” episodes of the Celebs with no other link to Friends could’ve easily been mentioned by the fans from around the world, absolute waste of money paying them to say what their favourite episode was IMO when they could’ve asked genuine fans the same thing and gotten the same answer but with more enthusiasm!

The table reads - genius idea and so funny seeing their reactions to each other’s lines when they would’ve had to keep straight faces when filming the scenes originally.

Loved hearing from Bright, Kaufmann & Crane too and I completely agree with what they said about the series being wrapped up in a tidy happy bow and they wouldn’t want to unpick it.

Thought it was very interesting to hear from the fans around the world, particularly from the young women featured who spoke about the impact it had on their lives.

I had no idea there was going to be an audience either - so jealous!! Wonder was it genuine fans or the usual relatives of the execs who got tickets.

All in all I loved it, was done perfectly and well put together spacing out the interview bits with the visits to set and the table reads.

Thought it was funny how they couldn’t remember certain episodes, they clearly haven’t rewatched it a thousand times like some others I know lol

I don’t have a strong opinion about James Corden but it certainly wasn’t the James Corden show. I read elsewhere that the cast asked for him to do the interview so they obviously have a good relationship there.

Can’t wait to watch it again!!

Edited to add - once you start messing with your face I’d say it’s hard to stop as you need to keep up whatever treatments you have, which is such a shame. Aging is a natural process of life and people shouldn’t feel they have to stall it or ruin their natural looks. Hollywood and tabloid culture have a lot to answer for. Also, why only the comments on Jennifer and Courtney’s faces? Very obvious that Matthew Perry has had work done to his face too but no mention of that? He didn’t seem well which was quite uncomfortable to watch in parts I felt. I hope he’s ok.

I genuinely didn't think he was still alive :o
    I said the same thing. He's a bit like Christopher Lloyd; has looked 70 for the past 40 years.

Larry Hankin was only in his mid-50s when he played Mr Heckles.
    Swaine wrote: »
    Sad to see Matthew Perry in that state, had no idea he had drug issues.
    Yeah, ongoing for years. If you're binge-watching, you can see his weight go up and down drastically between seasons at times. But people even noticed the changes in him when it was just on regular TV.

He talked in the interviews about the pressure he felt from the audience to be funny and how crushed he was when a joke fell flat. And they showed a blooper where Matt was getting a load of laughs, so he jumped in for some of his own.
    I wonder did he feel to a certain extent - as the only character written to be the comedian - that he was carrying more of the burden of the comedy in the show than the others, which in turn led to more pressure.
    Rachel's face looks completely different from different angles, if that makes sense. :D She's still as bubbly as ever. Phoebe has aged well. A little annoying still, she shouts too much. Monica as bland as ever, nothing character.

Joey has become Joey if he had married Monica, his enthusiasm for the whole thing was great.

Ross hasn't changed a bit and IMO carried the that reunion like he did with the show. He's funny when not even trying to be.
    Going by last night, you can definitely see how much the characters were shaped over time by the actual actors themselves. They began to converge to an extent. I know they had written Ross for Schwimmer, but you can see how alike the others are to their characters by the end. Aniston said at one stage that she couldn't remember something or other in the show, but then later details exactly what the other women were wearing on the first day they met. Which is a very "Rachel" thing to be able to do.

The whole thing was very American saccharine crap, but it was still decent to be able to see the reminiscing from the perspective of the original cast. It also kind of elevates any rewatching of the original shows. You often hear about massive infights that blow up in shows, and it taints episodes when you go back and rewatch, because subconsciously you know the actors were just going through the motions for the paycheque.

At least the interview put any sense of that to rest and you can watch it knowing that they were all having a blast at the time. (I'm sure the paycheques helped)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Thoroughly enjoyed it... And I wasn't a 'big' fan, 1st time around.

Lisa Kudrow looked GREAT! Possibly little to no 'work' done - and, for me, was much more attractive (overall, not just on looks) than the other 2 - who looked like they'd laces up the back of their heads. Jen and CC seemed a bit OTT or fake IMO.

Ross (David) seemed to LOVE being back amongst them. He re-read his lines like a PRO! Joey (Matt), like us all, is carrying a bit of 'timber' but looked fantastic. A real down to earth guy... or so it seemed. My wife was 'oohing and awwing' at his casting pics. He was (is) a ride, to be fair. Poor (Perry) Chandler... his issues written all over his face. Still trying to land that well timed, comedic, punchline.

The story behind their casting made it for me, as did the pieces from B, K, Crane. The work that went into getting the perfect 6 friends... And the phenomenon that the show became.

Having been a huge fan of James Corden before he left for LA, and having been in his audience at the Late Late show... he was the only let down (for me). Totally the wrong choice to interview them... Oh, and Lady Gaga's 'bit'. No. Just no.

I, for one, am glad that they didn't ruin it by making an episode or movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just like most of the show itself so :D