Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Felt bad for Matthew Perry, he looked & sounded like someone who’d had a stroke. LeBlanc Schwimmer & Lisa definitely seemed the most authentic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I thought Le Blanc looked great to be honest, still a very handsome man with a great smile, even with a few lbs. More Joey to love! I think it can be strange at times seeing them older as they are preserved in time through reruns but the ones who aged naturally look all the better for it. I’ve no doubt Courtney and Jennifer would look much better had they left their faces well alone.

Have only been able to see the trailer so far, but I agree. Graham Norton has had him as a guest more than once and he always looks really well, and seems like such a lovely guy.
    Looking forward to watching the whole thing, when I can get access to it.

David Schwimmer, Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry also have all been on with Graham Norton, at different times, and came across well. DS was on with Mark Ruffalo and they were so funny together. JA was on with her 'sister' Reese Witherspoon. :D

Chandler was always my favourite Friend, and always will be.
    When MP was on the GN Show, his speech sounded very slightly strange, and he was enunciating his words very carefully. He really has been through a rough time, over the years, but hopefully things are going better now for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I thought this was an ok watch, as others have said shame to see Matthew Perry looking unwell, hopefully he can sort himself out.

Episodes was a fantastic show, I know so few people who have actually seen it but Matt LeBlanc plays the role so well.

I think Matthew has largely sorted himself out to be fair. And opened up a charity around it.

However I don't think you simply undo that much alcohol and drug abuse. I think you simply stop making it worse. He is also aging (shock horror) which makes it harder to get back old looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It was very emotional when Matthew said when they’d meet each other at events, that you’d have to explain to whoever else you were with that you will be excusing yourself, that you’ve just met someone really special and will be with them for the night. I’m so glad they all feel that way about each other. It validates the feelings the audience hold towards them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think Matthew has largely sorted himself out to be fair. And opened up a charity around it.

However I don't think you simply undo that much alcohol and drug abuse. I think you simply stop making it worse. He is also aging (shock horror) which makes it harder to get back old looks.

I’m not judging his looks in the traditional sense, none of us are getting any younger! I just thought he looked really quite unwell, about 15 years older than he actually is.

Chandler was a brilliant character, especially in the early episodes, sad to see him like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I’m not judging his looks in the traditional sense, none of us are getting any younger! I just thought he looked really quite unwell, about 15 years older than he actually is.

Chandler was a brilliant character, especially in the early episodes, sad to see him like this.

Indeed but I think age just highlights the damage he did in his youth. He was in hospital for a few months a few years ago as well. Essentially I think he will look unwell going forward, especially on TV events where he will probably always be anxious. He will likely always look older than he is.

From what is available online he does seem to be happier these days which is good. My first thought when I saw him was that he looks better than other tines I have seen him the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I just saw a clip on Youtube of them bringing out the trifle with the mince in it. That wasn't in the version I saw!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Where can we watch this tonight in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Where can we watch this tonight in Ireland?

Sky1 at 7pm tonight I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Matthew Perry has had pancreatitis. It might be chronic. Meant to be one of the most painful conditions someone can have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I enjoyed it but it really felt like ~3 different shows combined into one so tonally it was a bit all over the place.

The fly on the wall set visit, table readings, cast/staff talking heads and all the unseen footage felt like it was part of a prestige retrospective documentary and I thought it was great.

The James Corden hosted reunion interview felt like the cast were making an appearance on any run of the mill chat show (and that's not Corden's fault).

Then there was a mish mash of other stuff in between (the quiz, Gaga etc).

It seemed a little jarring that you had Matthew Perry sharing deep insight into the anxieties that came with performing in front of a live studio audience along side Justin Bieber dressed as Spudnik walking a catwalk.

I thought Le Blanc looked great to be honest, still a very handsome man with a great smile, even with a few lbs. More Joey to love! I think it can be strange at times seeing them older as they are preserved in time through reruns but the ones who aged naturally look all the better for it. I’ve no doubt Courtney and Jennifer would look much better had they left their faces well alone.

I think they look better than most 50 year old women and I don’t mean because they started off better.

Had any of the females put on Joey’s weight they would be ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah go to bed and think positive thoughts.

No need for that pal, to each their own.

Could say the same to yourself.
    No idea why people would want to watch it. The trailer was enough for me to know what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No, there was every need for it. The thread is about a Friends reunion therefore will attract a lot of Friends fans but you came in BEFORE it had aired and sh1t all over it because you felt they were all doing it for the money. A cash grab you said.

I see you’re a big Liverpool fan. Your centre back VVD, earns €250,000 per week and he’s barely played a game in 2021.

The hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really enjoyed it, more than what I thought I would. For some reason, I felt a bit weepy at the start! Hopefully Matthew P will work through his issues.

I really enjoyed it, more than what I thought I would. For some reason, I felt a bit weepy at the start! Hopefully Matthew P will work through his issues.

I got emotional right at the start too which surprised me because I went into it rather cynically. But I really enjoyed it! I think if you were in any way a fan at all you would have found it enjoyable. Just to have them all together in the same room is enough, they don’t need to be acting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

His drug addiction dates back to his time in Friends.
    I remember reading one time that he said he had no memory of filming some of the series at all. His weight fluctuation during the series also was related to all of that afaik.

He has fought a long battle, and hopefully things are looking better for him now.

His drug addiction dates back to his time in Friends.
    I remember reading one time that he said he had no memory of filming some of the series at all. His weight fluctuation during the series also was related to all of that afaik.

He has fought a long battle, and hopefully things are looking better for him now.

Yeah you can really see his weight fluctuate throughout series which funnily enough completely bypassed me when I was a teenager watching it. But I think it’s season 7 he is a bag of bones and season 8 put on a lot of weight. He has really been through a lot, the poor guy. The way he was talking last night about wanting to make people laugh and struggling when he didn’t really made me think of the late Robin Williams. Such an amazingly talented actor who lit up my childhood but had his own demons. It’s almost sadder when the person suffering so badly inside was the source of such utter joy and happiness to everyone else. Why can’t they feel how they make us feel?! Anyway, I’m rambling.
    I’m sure he’s still struggling too with losing his brother Luke. Two very talented actors who brought a lot of entertainment to the 90s and 00s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Yeah you can really see his weight fluctuate throughout series which funnily enough completely bypassed me when I was a teenager watching it. But I think it’s season 7 he is a bag of bones and season 8 put on a lot of weight. He has really been through a lot, the poor guy. The way he was talking last night about wanting to make people laugh and struggling when he didn’t really made me think of the late Robin Williams. Such an amazingly talented actor who lit up my childhood but had his own demons. It’s almost sadder when the person suffering so badly inside was the source of such utter joy and happiness to everyone else. Why can’t they feel how they make us feel?! Anyway, I’m rambling.
    I’m sure he’s still struggling too with losing his brother Luke. Two very talented actors who brought a lot of entertainment to the 90s and 00s.

Were they brothers?!

Were they brothers?!

Omg I just googled it and they’re not!! How have I gone my entire life thinking they are brothers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Matthew and Luke aren’t brothers

Matthew and Luke aren’t brothers

giphy.gif

Why did I think this?? Was it a rumour in the 90s or something? I’m shook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

giphy.gif

I admit I thought the same when I read your original post so had to google it to find out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wish more shows did reunions

I love Friends, still watch and laugh at the repeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I always found Matthew Perrys reaction on Norton when Miriam Margoyles talks about creaming herself hilarious. He was my favourite Friend. Dunno what demons he has. Schwimmer is a likeable fella too. V. good in BoB.

Episodes was a really great show with Matt LeBlanc. Went from good comedy to other places. I thought it was fantastic.

Monica will always be the plant in Dancing in the Dark. And for those old enough the Misfits of Science.

Aniston has done some ok comedies.

Found Phoebes character a bit annoying and have no idea what Kudrow has done since.

Cougar Town is a good comedy show from Scrubs creator and some cast with Courtney Cox, btw does she live in Ireland with her Snow Patrol husband, I know she and ex David Arquette are on board for the new Scream movie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cougar Town is a good comedy show from Scrubs creator and some cast with Courtney Cox, btw does she live in Ireland with her Snow Patrol husband, I know she and ex David Arquette are on board for the new Scream movie

Looks like they met in the "UK" last December.

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/friends-star-courteney-cox-thanks-derry-community-group-after-reuniting-with-fiance-39892391.html

That ambiguous, but she has definitely been here before.

I don’t think they live together. She regularly posts on Instagram about missing him so not sure what the story is there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched it just now, loved it. The highlight was them reading the old scripts. Was great to see them all interacting with each other again, Matt and David seem like lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Basq wrote: »
    Nice nostalgia trip but definitely suffered from it's own hype.

Best bits were table reads and cast chatting.

The live stuff with Corden, the catwalk bit etc were cringe!

Schwimmer seemed to have the most enthusiasm of anyone.. always my favourite of the bunch!

Schwimmer was the only one not phoning it in the last few series of the original show so it doesn’t surprise me to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Omg I just googled it and they’re not!! How have I gone my entire life thinking they are brothers??

Literally giggling sis, and that gif....perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just finished watching it. Loved it.

Loved all the recordings of on set at the time, when the camera kept rolling etc.

I don't know if nostalgia is the word but there's an amazing feeling looking at videos of that time, knowing what the show turned in to. Recordings on set for example of the episode where Joey wears all the clothes...the different takes. They didn't know when recording that, how big of an impact the episode would have or how funny it would be. 20 years after recording, and it's still making people laugh.

Also how life was so different back then. No smartphones, no facebook, no social media etc. 2004 feels recent yet looks so ancient at the same time.

Great nostalgia trip, even though the show was finished by the time I started watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I loved all the clips they showed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Jesus Christ this special has thought me that time is a ruthless assassin

To which Lisa Kudrow is immune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I am a massive Friends nerd and was a bit apprehensive about this but like so many above I loved it. Hit me right in the feels many many times.

Them walking into the set at the start, the table reading, the clips of the bloopers and behind the scenes stuff. It was all excellently put together and I enjoyed every second.

Matt and David were definitely the funniest and seemed most into it. Lisa was fantastic at the table reads, really delivered the lines as if she had never been away. Sad to see Matthew like that, really looks a shell of a man. I hope he’s ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've not seen Friends reunion but so far this is the funniest thing I've seen come out of it!

Matthew Perry's father was in the show as Joshua's dad

Jen still gives me hair envy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Matthew Perry's father was in the show as Joshua's dad

Jen still gives me hair envy

Oh that’s gas! I always loved how he delivered that line “I like her she seems smart”

• Advertisement

Courtney looks like Michelle Visage

You know, I think I will start watching the series again now.

I am sure the figures on Netflix have jumped since this reunion.

Ah here! What the actual...

Scarlet for ya! :D

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah here! What the actual...

Scarlet for ya! :D

Scarlet for myself!!
    Like I have definitely said that to people before.. I’m getting flashbacks :eek:

Gunther looks like Dexter Fletcher now

Scarlet for myself!!
    Like I have definitely said that to people before.. I’m getting flashbacks :eek:

Kinda like Joey thinking his Adams Apple was his Joey's Apple!

As much as I loved the finale I'm still sore about Rachel giving up her dream job in Paris for Ross :mad:

But he's her lobster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd be a friends fan, but I actually thought it was mostly shyte.

Why HBO thought they needed to pad it out with people from contemporary pop culture I do not know. It was always going to get an audience of zillions. Absolutely everyone who appeared on this reunion should have had a connection to the show and that didn't include Bieber, Gaga, Cara Delevigne, Beckham and certainly not that insufferable C Corden. If they'd dispensed with all of that it could have been a hard 90 minutes.

They should have just let them talk on set with the three showrunners with a few cameos like Maggie Wheeler and Tom Selleck and a few tribute inserts. If they needed a host to guide it along, Paul Rudd or Aisha Taylor would've been ideal. Their love of the work and each other was all the reunion actually needed to show and the poignancy was diluted by some of the stupid antics.

Did ugly naked guy die, how did Ross get his apartment again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Fantastic reunion, really enjoyed it

Advertisement