Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I have no fear of the SF rallies. You made the one in Cork sound like a polite English garden party.

There was no rabble rousing at the Dublin one anyway.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The one in Cork or Nuremberg?

Liberty Hall, Dublin. I'm not in my 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,240 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh my Francie you are rattled.

Here is your post:

So 'opening the door to SF'...what in SS's world does that mean from a man who was vociferously claiming he would not have anything to do with them? :)

Martin didn’t say that nor did he open any door to Sinn Fein.

You choose to use 2 newspaper articles as proof that Martin wanted to go into government with Sinn Fein. A point that you repeated ad naseum before the election. A point that proved wrong.

But rather than admit that you were wrong, as usual you defend and deflect from your error.

My point about Gerry Adams was you grasp at 2 newspaper articles as “evidence” about Martin “opening the door to SF”, again not his words, the interpretation of journalists. Yet you dismiss thousands of articles and hundreds of journalists and historians who write that Gerry Adams was in the IRA.

Francie. You are in no position to call anyone a moral coward.

Ah I see where you got confused, politically naive and not able to link the shorthand of the newspaper headline to what Martin said in political speak. I'll apologise for not simplifying what I did enough for you. :rolleyes:

Everybody except you recognised it as Martin 'opening the door' to SF and FG.

P.S. The newspaper articles are not the 'evidence' the evidence are Martin's own words quoted in it.

And a number of posters here were lucky enough to watch him saying it in the most sleeveen of sleeveen ways. Look up the video and get back with your considered defence of him. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,903 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jm08 wrote: »
    I was at the rally. Does that make me a Nazi supporter?

No. But this other sort of rally would suggest that the Garda Commissioner is not too far off the mark in his assessment of how close SF politicians are to the military side of the movement.

No. But this other sort of rally would suggest that the Garda Commissioner is not too far off the mark in his assessment of how close SF politicians are to the military side of the movement.

So when FF an FG turn out at a 'commemoration' does that put the close to those who killed and murdered in 1919 21 etc?

• Advertisement

So when FF an FG turn out at a 'commemoration' does that put the close to those who killed and murdered in 1919 21 etc?

I only ever saw Irish Army personnel at any of those.

The Provos didn't exist in 1957!

I only ever saw Irish Army personnel at any of those.

You do know where they came from? Why they exist?

If we unify as an island are Unionists going to be allowed to commemorate their dead or those that fought for them?
    Or are you gonna be excluding them too?

There are that many different IRA's it's hard to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Ah I see where you got confused, politically naive and not able to link the shorthand of the newspaper headline to what Martin said in political speak. I'll apologise for not simplifying what I did enough for you. :rolleyes:

Everybody except you recognised it as Martin 'opening the door' to SF and FG.

P.S. The newspaper articles are not the 'evidence' the evidence are Martin's own words quoted in it.

And a number of posters here were lucky enough to watch him saying it in the most sleeveen of sleeveen ways. Look up the video and get back with your considered defence of him. :):)

Oh so now the actual words that Martin said like “I am a democrat” etc are enough to support your assertion that he wanted to go into government with Sinn Fein without incorrectly attributing quotes to him.

Show us in Martins own words where he signalled he wanted to go into government with Sinn Fein like you have been telling us for the past 6 weeks.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yeh, that was the People's Front of Judea.

They are all the same murderous terrorists whatever special faction they claim to be part of.

Maybe you should learn your history a bit better before commenting. That parade is pretty harmless - the most threatening aspect of it is some women with umbrellas and a few lads with tin whistles.

Yeh, that was the People's Front of Judea.

They are all the same murderous terrorists whatever special faction they claim to be part of.

So, do you think Sean MacBride was a murderous terrorist?

Oh so now the actual words that Martin said like “I am a democrat” etc are enough to support your assertion that he wanted to go into government with Sinn Fein without incorrectly attributing quotes to him.

Show us in Martins own words where he signalled he wanted to go into government with Sinn Fein like you have been telling us for the past 6 weeks.

Not just my 'assertion' lad. Read the material presented to you.

And I said (read this slowly now, because you have a habit of revealing poor comprehension skills) he WOULD go in with SF if it was his only way to be Taoiseach.
    I NEVER said at any time that he WANTED to. Michael wanted a Dev style majority and a white horse to lord it over us.

If you want to see where he signalled he was 'willing' to go in with FF and SF then read those two articles. It's all there.

Maybe you should learn your history a bit better before commenting. That parade is pretty harmless - the most threatening aspect of it is some women with umbrellas and a few lads with tin whistles.

There were no Provos in 1957, but they made martyrs of the earlier casualties. The mention of November in the song is significant. The five martyrs blew themselves up on the way to carry out an Enniskillen style Remembrance Day massacre.

History?

The Continuity IRA claim the exact same legitimacy as the Provisional IRA sought and claimed previously. That is that the provisional Army council are, as the heirs of the second Dail as vindicated by its last surviving member, Thomas Maguire, the legitimate government of the 32 county republic and the provisional IRA are the legitimate army of that republic.

That is the historic reality and the reason why SINN Fein revert to the Free State, south, etc, etc.

Not just my 'assertion' lad. Read the material presented to you.

And I said (read this slowly now, because you have a habit of revealing poor comprehension skills) he WOULD go in with SF if it was his only way to be Taoiseach.
    I NEVER said at any time that he WANTED to. Michael wanted a Dev style majority and a white horse to lord it over us.

If you want to see where he signalled he was 'willing' to go in with FF and SF then read those two articles. It's all there.

No Francie. That is YOUR assertion. One without proof and counter to all intelligent assessment.

Show us the quotes without doctoring them this time.

No Francie. That is YOUR assertion. One without proof and counter to all intelligent assessment.

Show us the quotes without doctoring them this time.

I doctored quotes now?

During the election, Mr Martin ruled out sharing power with either Mary Lou McDonald or Leo Varadkar but on Sunday says he respects “the decision of the people”.

He was repeatedly asked if he will enter government with Sinn Féin and did not rule it out.

“I think we’ll let things calm down today,” he told RTÉ. “We’ll assess when the full count is in and the full number of seats are in. I’m a democrat, I listen to the people. I respect the decision of the people.”

During the campaign he also said he had a “moral” issue with Sinn Féin but now says the “fundamental issue” for him when negotiating government formation is the “policy platform”.

“So I think over the next number of days people will assess that situation in terms of such a policy platform.

Is it that you don't understand that an ellipsis is used to indicate a quote from a different part of an article.

Or is it that part of the article is bolded? I bolded that in case you missed it, because it is classic 'door opening' signalling by a politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No Govt formation, reelection to be called and SF will wipe the floor. Their rallies are drumming up some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Provo IRA war concluded in 1998. It now 2020. 

IRA did not swing back to war again when the power sharing government in the North collapsed. This for me reveals the IRA no longer involved in a conflict and is keen to keep the peace on this island. Sinn Fein has kept the movement peaceful for 20 years. 

Why are we listening to the British security forces? They allowed UDF bombers to bomb Dublin during the troubles. They had the intelligence and did not inform the Garda the attack was coming. It was shown in a documentary some UVF/UDR members involved were in the RUC.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    No Govt formation, reelection to be called and SF will wipe the floor. Their rallies are drumming up some interest.

Anything leaking from the SF Green discussions? Seems to be going on to another round. One journalist saying today that Carbon Tax not seeming to be a big issue.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I have a passing knowledge of the set up in Donegal, Sligo/Leitrim, Cavan/Monaghan and Louth. They have 2 seats in each of three of those, one in Sligo/Leitrim. I could not see them getting more than one extra between the whole lot. The new TD in Clare was the first one ever, and she would not be safe. Nor the two in Kildare North and South, if people have any sense. SF are weak overall in Munster, and very much a Dublin centered operation now.

How many extra seats do you think they will get by wiping the floor? And crucially will it be enough to form the government for Change, if they take other Left seats who got in on SF transfers?

I doctored quotes now?

Is it that you don't understand that an ellipsis is used to indicate a quote from a different part of an article.

Or is it that part of the article is bolded? I bolded that in case you missed it, because it is classic 'door opening' signalling by a politician.

He also did not rule out playing centre field for Kilkenny in an all Ireland hurling final but there are no Cork hurling fans on here pointing this out as proof he wants to play hurling for Kilkenny.

I’d say you were persistent in the dance halls in your time Francie. Anything but a slap in the face, presumably you took as a “maybe”.

Well, you need to keep up. It might help you understand how a State that was built on bloodshed has to move on from its past.

There were no Provos in 1957, but they made martyrs of the earlier casualties. The mention of November in the song is significant. The five martyrs blew themselves up on the way to carry out an Enniskillen style Remembrance Day massacre.

Where?

Provo IRA war concluded in 1998. It now 2020. 

IRA did not swing back to war again when the power sharing government in the North collapsed. This for me reveals the IRA no longer involved in a conflict and is keen to keep the peace on this island. Sinn Fein has kept the movement peaceful for 20 years. 

The Peace Process is essentially an IRA decision to stop their campaign. Once they stopped nobody else kept shooting at them. So the Peace Process stays in place as long as the IRA want it to. I share your optimism that it is secure.

Where?

You're better clued up on history than me. It was in the North.

He also did not rule out playing centre field for Kilkenny in an all Ireland hurling final but there are no Cork hurling fans on here pointing this out as proof he wants to play hurling for Kilkenny.

I’d say you were persistent in the dance halls in your time Francie. Anything but a slap in the face, presumably you took as a “maybe”.

Just ignore the 2 main papers in the country SS, if it makes your wee frazzled head happy.

You will obviously broach no criticism of the saintly Michael....WAIT! you're not Eoghan 'Michael Martin wouldn't know how to lie' Harris are you? :):)

1. Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just ignore the 2 main papers in the country SS, if it makes your wee frazzled head happy.

You will obviously broach no criticism of the saintly Michael....WAIT! you're not Eoghan 'Michael Martin wouldn't know how to lie' Harris are you? :):)

The papers that you happily ignore when they call uncle Gerry a member of the army council? Right so Francie.

Wear gloves. Some straws are sharp.

1. Advertisement
      2. Registered Users Posts: 68,240 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The papers that you happily ignore when they call uncle Gerry a member of the army council? Right so Francie.

Wear gloves. Some straws are sharp.

Ah SS is stuck again...it's back to Gerry again. :):):)

Take her handy. Sorry to burst your bubble. You better get used to it with Michael...he's breaking another of his election pledges atm, negotiating a coalition with FG...now what did he say about that before the election? :)

Advertisement