Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Twitter politically is a cess pit of anonymous mis information campaigns and troll farms

It’s political discourse for dimwits and mouth-breathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,157 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Twitter politically is a cess pit of anonymous mis information campaigns and troll farms
    It’s political discourse for dimwits and mouth-breathers.

Never go on social media without a brain and a scroll wheel.

As i say, it is usually the comfy establishment political parties and their media sycophants that don't like Twitter etc. One wonders why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Runaways wrote: »
    I’m aware of that. And it tells all we need to know that FFFG are terrified of a second election as they know it’ll go even worse for them in a second election. And this scrambling to hang onto to power is evident to all and infuriating everyone. It will backfire in a huge way.

I don’t think anyone is terrified tbh. FG see their least damaging scenario as stepping back - coalition will cost them more seats - so whether there’s another election or not - they’re seeking shelter in opposition as a preferred strategy. And FF know that they’re unlikely to be in opposition even with another election. Whatever way you cut it - the shape of a coalition is just not going to be easy to formulate.

alastair wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone is terrified tbh. FG see their least damaging scenario as stepping back - coalition will cost them more seats - so whether there’s another election or not - they’re seeking shelter in opposition as a preferred strategy. And FF know that they’re unlikely to be in opposition even with another election. Whatever way you cut it - the shape of a coalition is just not going to be easy to formulate.

Why the dance then?

If you are getting off the stage...get off it and stop holding things up by prolonging talks.

Why the dance then?

If you are getting off the stage...get off it and stop holding things up by prolonging talks.

The optics of doing a run to the safety of the sidelines are not great. So they need to put on a show. Plus the Dail mathematics might not allow them to get entirely away, so the least harmful coalition support mechanism might be the best they can achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Never go on social media without a brain and a scroll wheel.

As i say, it is usually the comfy establishment political parties and their media sycophants that don't like Twitter etc. One wonders why.

Exactly, I raise my eyebrows considerably when I hear politicians and/ or 'celebrities' complaining about the excesses of social media and how it should be curbed etc. Funnily they just love the same social media when it comes to pedaling their own messages or engaged in self promotion love ins. If you can't stand the heat etc..........

The optics of doing a run to the safety of the sidelines are not great. So they need to put on a show.

Or playing hard to get, in a preordained dance to con the electorate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I’ve heard on several radio interviews members from each party and reporters saying of each party that the leadership of each party has been told a coalition with x will not be tolerated.
    This after all the internal meetings they’ve each had.
    * including SF Mary lou told loudly and clearly no coalition with either of the other two would have support. So it’s not just Leo and Michael hearing that it’s all three of them.
    I’d say second election is inevitable.

Or playing hard to get, in a preordained dance to con the electorate.

Nah - they know the strongest self-serving outcome for them is to take a time out and go into opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    All of them recognized both the constitution of Ireland and the legitimacy of the Irish state.

Do I believe that former physical force republicans or physical force unionists have a place in future all Ireland government? Absolutely, as long as they recognise the legitimacy of the state they serve.

In practice they recognise the legitimacy of the Irish State by actively supporting its institutions such as members sitting in the Dail, being active in passing legislation, campaigning to change the Constitution (Repeal the 8th), putting candidate forward for the Presidency etc.

• Advertisement

As per the thread title, this is not a catch all discussion about the election. It is very specific to the subject of the IRA directing Sinn Fein.

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

We have a former RUC/MI5 officer directing the Gardai at the moment. I'd be far more worried about that, particularly when withholding information about the Dublin-Monaghan bombings for his former bosses.

You're better clued up on history than me. It was in the North.

That version of the IRA's targets were usually RUC barracks / customs posts on the border in the 1950s. There is no reference as to which one they were going to blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah that is true but in face to face events people do largely show a modicum of respect and they calm down. An anonymous username allows you to cut loose at will to feed that self-righteous inner rage!

Fair enough is_that_so.

(If that is your real name):D

jm08 wrote: »
    We have a former RUC/MI5 officer directing the Gardai at the moment. I'd be far more worried about that, particularly when withholding information about the Dublin-Monaghan bombings for his former bosses.

Wouldn't it have been nice and a fitting apology to the victims of those bombs, (who have more or less been ignored by government), if we had heard the 'moral high grounders' at least asking for full disclosure of what happened there, before the titular head of the Crown Forces allegedly involved, was invited to come here?
    Elisabeth wrote:
    “With the benefit of historical hindsight… we can all see things we wish could have been done differently, or not at all.”
    ...and just to be sure nobody sees, we have locked the files away for another 80 years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We have a former RUC/MI5 officer directing the Gardai at the moment. I'd be far more worried about that, particularly when

Thankfully most people are possessed of an entirely different moral outlook than yourself and your fellow travelers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Thankfully most people are possessed of an entirely different moral outlook than yourself and your fellow travelers.

Emmmm

On cue: A classic example of how Twitter can rubbish a journalist's attempt to slant a story.
    They don't like to be answered back.

This is brilliant.

https://twitter.com/davidcochrane/status/1232571726187368448

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

When I heard the party political script issued being called out on the news yesterday I nearly crashed the car. Same patronising condescending out of date thinking by self entitled closed in politicians and their croonies in RTE. SF win a landslide victory in the polls against all odds and Ff/FG expectations so they party decides to issue a PR office political statement to RTE who then repeat it thinking it will allow them gain political points.

Its this kind of self entitled thinking and inability to see the real issues on the ground and the utter disenchantment and disgust at the parties and games they played that ruined this country is people have walked away from traditional parties in their tens of thousands. But neither FF nor FG party can see this and understand. People are sick of you all and your corruption and twisted speaking and cronyism and utter contempt for real needs and ordinary peoples needs and ambitions. Are you all so sick in the head from talking amongst yourselves in closed rooms that you absolutely cannot see this and that we see your desperate effort for what it is?

Tune in next election for greater SF landslide.

the quote was ‘win a landslide victory’ - again - inability to see the forest for the cracks in the path spring to mind - or in this case fuming party.

Its exactly this kind of petty minded myopia that has lost FG and FF huge support - they simply are stuck in the past and their policies and petty mindedness small party thinking and backroom boys mentality and have neither care nor concept for the people of the country and their needs and frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

On cue: A classic example of how Twitter can rubbish a journalist's attempt to slant a story.

This is brilliant.

Christ and he's doubled down on it. Imagine being that bad at your job and so biased you cannot admit messing up.

Are you saying its immoral that the families of the victims of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings want to know who murdered their families? If you are, I'm glad I have a different moral outlook than yourself and your fellow travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

So, do you think Sean MacBride was a murderous terrorist?

Sure. Thats an uncontested fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you saying its immoral that the families of the victims of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings want to know who murdered their families? If you are, I'm glad I have a different moral outlook than yourself and your fellow travellers.

If Drew Harris is unfit to be Garda Commissioner because of his possible third-hand knowledge of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings, what does that say about Sinn Fein's fitness for government in light of ther definite first-hand knowledge of numerous atrocities and cover-ups of child sexual abuse?

blanch152 wrote: »
    If Drew Harris is unfit to be Garda Commissioner because of his possible third-hand knowledge of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings, what does that say about Sinn Fein's fitness for government in light of ther definite first-hand knowledge of numerous atrocities and cover-ups of child sexual abuse?

Given that Sinn Fein didn't commit any of those 'atrocities' nor any child sexual abuse, the onus isn't on them to reveal.
    That is on the IRA and all the other combatants. The IRA are willing to take part in a Truth commission if the others do as well. The 'others' include those sitting in governments too.

I would fully expect Sinn Fein in government to pressure properly for a truth process involving all combatants to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Given that Sinn Fein didn't commit any of those 'atrocities' nor any child sexual abuse, the onus isn't on them to reveal.
    That is on the IRA and all the other combatants. The IRA are willing to take part in a Truth commission if the others do as well. The 'others' include those sitting in governments too.

I would fully expect Sinn Fein in government to pressure properly for a truth process involving all combatants to begin.

(1) Dessie Ellis, convicted terrorist
    (2) Martin Ferris, convicted terrorist
    (3) Gerry Adams, admitted in court to covering up child sexual abuse
    (4) Pearse McGeough, admits to knowledge of child sexual abuse, but did nothing about it.

I could go on but what's the point, Sinn Fein and its comrades in the IRA will never tell the full truth of what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ah come off it now
    Drew Harris didnt commit the Dublin and Monaghan bombings either

All he did was say something that ye didnt like in answer to a journalist

And anyway, SF TD's approve of the IRA campaign and venerate it
    Harris does neither regarding loyalist violence
    There is NO equivalence

blanch152 wrote: »
    (1) Dessie Ellis, convicted terrorist
    (2) Martin Ferris, convicted terrorist

Served their sentences and signed up to the GFA and entered democratic politics as they were expected to do. Seemed to be fine with everybody until the party they represent started to overhaul the power swap parties.

(3) Gerry Adams, admitted in court to covering up child sexual abuse
    (4) Pearse McGeough, admits to knowledge of child sexual abuse, but did nothing about it.

I could go on but what's the point, Sinn Fein and its comrades in the IRA will never tell the full truth of what they did.

Adams has addressed how he made mistakes in relation to his brother. He gave evidence against him.

McGeough was questioned by Gardai who have not pressed any charges against him that I am aware of.

What you never seem to get is that people are not going to keep going with this stuff until you get the answer you want. Which is 'I am guilty of the allegations'.

If there is evidence that they covered up serious abuse then they should be charged with it. It is a further indictment of the Garda Commissioner if he is sitting on evidence of this nature. Do you (well, you must do) think he is failing in his duty here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This is brilliant.

Journalists in IT and Indo and the British red tops masquerading as Irish paper cannot stand being challenged and exposed. They imagine twitter as a place where they hand out pearls of wisdom to the swine ie the ordinary people of Ireland.

Ah come off it now
    Drew Harris didnt commit the Dublin and Monaghan bombings either

Just some of the stuff out there aboutDrew Harris:

https://villagemagazine.ie/a-recent-bbc-spotlight-programme-reinforced-the-inconvenient-truth-that-there-was-widespread-collusion-across-the-loyalist-spectrum-from-the-dup-to-the-uvf-to-mi5/

https://twitter.com/DipperMc/status/1231148064158765056/photo/1

Also look up the Northern Irish Law Society concerns about him.

IMO that was enough to preclude him from getting the job here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There are other threads to do with the policies. This one is about the Garda assessment of the control over SF by the IRA.

I agree. Did you read the post I responded to and what I wrote?
    Your own post is off topic.

The thread is about explaining to people that think SF is a legitimate party, that it is in fact a branch of the SF-IRA organisation, undemocratic, criminal, would turn to terrorism if it though that were a better route to a 32 county Ireland.
    It is not a thread about politics and policies regarding the election.

In your uneducated and unaware opinion. All these threads are about FG trying to scaremonger over the fact that SF saw a good rise in support through democratic means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump came up with the idea before Mary Lou did.
    Taoiseach & Fine Gael to canvass and rally for Directly Elected Mayors’ Yes vote
    https://www.finegael.ie/taoiseach-fine-gael-to-canvass-and-rally-for-directly-elected-mayors-yes-vote/

I know the source isn't very credible, but still.
    The Nuremberg Rallies were long before Trump.

The Nazi Party Rallies, held in Nuremberg from 1933 to 1938, serve primarily as a setting to show off the regime and Adolf Hitler, to orchestrate the concept of a "Volksgemeinschaft," and to arouse popular enthusiasm for war.

See how those worked out.

I can’t see any advantages in holding rallies to drum up support for any party now. The election is over.

And Michael Collins before them and of course, these lads...
    Eoin-ODuffys-Blueshirts-and-the-Abyssinian-crisis-2.jpg
    The salute being given at a Blueshirt meeting at Charleville, County Cork, April 1934. (Cork Examiner)
    https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/eoin-oduffys-blueshirts-and-the-abyssinian-crisis/

Advertisement