Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Tesla Model S (found post 168 )

Options

Comments

LeBash wrote: »
    High end cars are a big target. If someone robs a bank they might get 20-30k and if they get caught its 10-12 years.............

10 to 12 years would be the higher end, that'd be for a tiger kidnapping or if you threatened to shoot a AGS member or something rather then a standard ish armed bank job.

A lad I know got 5/6 years for armed robbery on a bank, he was out after 3 or 4 iirc.

No one really robs banks any more, crime is mostly going digital, it's far easier.

In all fairness, I'd rather someone steal a car than be in a bank during an armed robbery with the potential of being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No one really robs banks any more, crime is mostly going digital, it's far easier.
    I know someone who did an armed robbery of a post office. I don't think he had first-rate hacking skills. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    I know someone who did an armed robbery of a post office. I don't think he had first-rate hacking skills. :D

Haha Really ? did he get away with it ?

I don't think it would be worth robbing a PO or bank these days, you might get some cash in the tills but by the time they delay opening the vault the cops will be waiting and stalling time until the armed unit arrives, it's too risky.

It's too easy to call people up and tell them they have a "virus" on their computer that the only way to get rid of it is to pay 200 Euro over the phone lol.

Cash machines are a pain in the ass to get out then the chances of the notes getting sprayed with dye are too high. Not worth the effort.

I suppose if someone's IQ is low enough these days and they are desperate they might try rob a PO or bank.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lumen wrote: »

It was his money, he just didn't want to fill out the forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Haha Really ? did he get away with it ?
    Nope! He lost the game of getaway top trumps as the Gardai had a helicopter.

Now, if he'd only stolen the helicopter first....

Cash machines are a pain in the ass to get out then the chances of the notes getting sprayed with dye are too high. Not worth the effort. ............

€140k isn't a bad haul .......... I was working nearby at the time.....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/140k-taken-in-cork-security-van-raid-179884.html
    Haha Really ? did he get away with it ?......

I don't think the culprits were ever caught.

140k ? ah might have been worth it then, hard to store/launder that cash though, maybe they know the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

RFID blocker wallets arrived from amazon this morning, tested it on another car with keyless entry/driving and couldnt pick up the fob, so that works.

my dads idea of putting keys in tinfoil and leaving in fridge wont be required so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

copeyhagen wrote: »
    RFID blocker wallets arrived from amazon this morning, tested it on another car with keyless entry/driving and couldnt pick up the fob, so that works.

my dads idea of putting keys in tinfoil and leaving in fridge wont be required so :P

Have you a link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

How did your insurance react when you contacted them, and how hard will this terrible ordeal be on your next insurance premium?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,814 ✭✭✭✭unkel

how hard will this terrible ordeal be on your next insurance premium?

A theft is a no-fault claim. It should have no impact on either your no claims bonus or your renewal premium. Unless you have your insurance with a shower of clowns like 123.ie or liberty. Like one of the forum regulars found out when his car was written off because of flooding (also a no-fault claim) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

unkel wrote: »
    A theft is a no-fault claim. It should have no impact on either your no claims bonus or your renewal premium. Unless you have your insurance with a shower of clowns like 123.ie or liberty. Like one of the forum regulars found out when his car was written off because of flooding (also a no-fault claim) :(

Ooh, do you have any more detail on the story above (searching "123" and "flood" didn't give me much)? I was with 123 for years, and recently changed to its4women. But I found 123 easier to deal with, although I never actually had a claim with them. I was intending to return to 123 next renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I doubt that to be the case with any car insurer.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

zg3409 wrote: »
    Firstly they can lift/tow the car old school, secondly they can rip out the GPS and phone based equipment, they could put foil over the GPS antenna, how is it to know with no location if it is in a tunnel or underground car park?

As for non manufacturer installed tracking, beware they may disconnect the 12v battery within minutes and put it on a tow truck or hidden in the back of a rigid lorry. Most half decent trackers need a sim card and typically need to be topped up at least every 6 months. A jammer will block these while jammer is on and near. There is cases of cars ringing home from Africa but from a lawless area. There are other really expensive trackers that use non sim card systems but these are normally reserved for high value targets such as supercars and often targeted company alarms such as white goods electrical shops.

Some of these groups have been arrested and prosecuted, but while there is quick money to be made they will find a way.

There is talk that the model 3 is less vulnerable to the signal relay attack but I would like to see that proven before I believe it.

I would have though some basic logic in the car could easily alert that the car was in the process of being stolen.

So, an owner registers his location, say home or work. The Tesla measures gps and mobile network and seta, as a benchmark..

If during the theft process, both gps and mobile network is lost, set off the car alarm and cut the engine.

In fact, any scenario where the vehicle looses both gps and network coverage while static should set off the car alarm and disable the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭wcooba

In fact, any scenario where the vehicle looses both gps and network coverage while static should set off the car alarm and disable the engine

Driving through tunnel traffic jams would be great fun then :)

@OP - sorry to hear about your car. Now when it's gone - would you rather get another S or pick up new model 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

wcooba wrote: »
    Driving through tunnel traffic jams would be great fun then :)

@OP - sorry to hear about your car. Now when it's gone - would you rather get another S or pick up new model 3?

Your didnt read my post then did you, try again.

Edit :- Oops, sorry, didn't realise you were being pedantic, so just for you, I will re iterate.

"In fact, when the car is not in use, and situation where there is a sudden loss of gps and network connectivity, should trigger the alarm and disable the vehicle ".

Is that better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,814 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I doubt that to be the case with any car insurer.

With every proper insurer, a no fault claim like a theft will not affect your NCB nor your premium. Zurich / Axa etc. Check your small print

Paying a low premium like with 123.ie and liberty might look attractive come renewal time, but if you claim it might not be so attractive any more

Search the forum for the flooded Ioniq. I think he might have been with liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭sk8board

With every proper insurer, a no fault claim like a theft will not affect your NCB nor your premium. Zurich / Axa etc. Check your small print

Paying a low premium like with 123.ie and liberty might look attractive come renewal time, but if you claim it might not be so attractive any more

Search the forum for the flooded Ioniq. I think he might have been with liberty

Above is off topic, but I’ve got 7 premiums for houses and cars with Royal & Sun alliance (who trade as 123.ie) for over a decade, and I’ve found them excellent to deal with, prices are competitive, terms are clear, and the guys on the phones v knowledgable. All the policies means I’m dealing with them every 6-8 weeks :(

Everything is fully comprehensive, €300 excess, and I get one ‘free’ claim in a 3 year period on each policy with no affect on NCD, however you lose any additional NCD discount for one year after the claim (I already have the max anyway) and lose the option to buy NCD protection for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

tjhook wrote: »
    Ooh, do you have any more detail on the story above (searching "123" and "flood" didn't give me much)? I was with 123 for years, and recently changed to its4women. But I found 123 easier to deal with, although I never actually had a claim with them. I was intending to return to 123 next renewal...

For balance, several happy 123.ie customers posted here, with first hand experience.
    Do your research but I certainly wouldn't class 123.ie as "cowboys".

Have you a link to the ones you bought from Amazon?

How did your insurance react when you contacted them, and how hard will this terrible ordeal be on your next insurance premium?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faraday-Lanpard-Blocker-Blocking-Security/dp/B07PP1X4MJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JAJKEM5PPAMJ&keywords=rfid+key+pouch&qid=1582707916&sprefix=rfid%2Caps%2C393&sr=8-3

we have insurance through a work broker so theyre pretty good, wont affect NCB or NCB discount.

grand. forms sent in so now just play the waiting game id say. hopefully not as bad as when my toyota chaser was stolen, took the assessor months to come up with a fair price.

• Advertisement

With every proper insurer........

Paying a low premium like with ..........

A case of you get what you pay for, it doesn't mean they aren't a "proper insurer".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

copeyhagen wrote: »

Could these signal boosters that they used to steal your car also pull the signal from the RFID card that you'd get with the Model 3? and use it to unlock & start the car? (even if it's just to drive it 100 metres onto a loader).

I'm collecting a Model 3 in 2 weeks, and am suddenly very nervous about the prospect of of the car being stolen, simply because of it's 'advanced' features!! (I'm also in Fingal like you).

I've already come to the conclusion that we won't use the bluetooth/phone unlock feature (certainly at home anyway), and will just use the RFID card method (which seems sad that on a brand new car, we'll have to even do that to lock/unlock it, given we had a fob from our 14 year old BMW).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I'm sure it's nfc, and not Bluetooth used to unlock the car

Peatys wrote: »
    I'm sure it's nfc, and not Bluetooth used to unlock the car

Either way, it can still be signal boosted and used to unlock the car right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Could these signal boosters that they used to steal your car also pull the signal from the RFID card that you'd get with the Model 3? and use it to unlock & start the car? (even if it's just to drive it 100 metres onto a loader).

If its passive RFID then I dont think the booster method would work. I dont know for certain though, just thinking about how the boosters work and how RFID works it just doesnt seem like the same attack would work.

Active RFID (like toll tags) have a battery, that can receive/send signals longer distance, would be a different story but I doubt the Model 3 has a battery in its RFID card.

Think contactless bank cards.... have you heard of attacks where they can be used from a distance. I dont think you can.

I was thinking along those lines alright, but in this day and age, whatever the general thought is, there are I'm sure folks who are a few steps ahead.

Also, if Pin to Drive can be disabled quite simply (as was mentioned somewhere else), that's fairly shocking....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Also, if Pin to Drive can be disabled quite simply (as was mentioned somewhere else), that's fairly shocking....

Was that confirmed though? I heard someone say disconnecting the 12V does it but Im sure Tesla would (or at least could) have addressed that, if it were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Either way, it can still be signal boosted and used to unlock the car right?

I thought this was a much bigger issue for the Model S as you use passive key fobs for entry. Model 3 key cards and the phone-as-key are far more secure (is my understanding). No-one cracked the phone-as-key at the hackathon Tesla runs every year. They offered 100k if some one could.

The model 3 fob itself requires a button press to open the door to make it more secure than the Model S fob.

kev22185 wrote: »
    The model 3 fob itself requires a button press to open the door to make it more secure than the Model S fob.

It also goes inactive after a while if it senses no movement.

• Advertisement

didnt really want to go into that on a forum but apparently someone tried it last week and it did indeed disable it

Advertisement