Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Tesla Model S (found post 168 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

copeyhagen wrote: »
    didnt really want to go into that on a forum but apparently someone tried it last week and it did indeed disable it

Surely if a home PC can have a CMOS button battery costing cents to hold date & time etc on a computer, a car valued at multi thousands should have that covered.

If true it's nothing short of ridiculous.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Surely if a home PC can have a CMOS button battery costing cents to hold date & time etc on a computer, a car valued at multi thousands should have that covered.

If true it's nothing short of ridiculous.

NVRAM readily available. Battery backup of CMOS RAM very much last century stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 21 electrica001

KCross wrote: »
    Was that confirmed though? I heard someone say disconnecting the 12V does it but Im sure Tesla would (or at least could) have addressed that, if it were true.

Would an easy fix be a software update that sets the default state of pin to drive as 'log in to your account to set'. If removing the 12v resets the state then you would have to log in to the account to either set it up/turn it on or disable it. But either way the car won't drive until the option is set. Would this work or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

Either way, it can still be signal boosted and used to unlock the car right?

RFID, NFC, Bluetooth, Passive tags, tap to pay, apple pay, Tesla car open, etc are all nearly identical.

The only difference is devices without a battery use the energy received by being close to the radio signal to power the chip for a fraction of a second and reply. Examples are leap cards, tap to pay credit cards,

All radio based signals can be boosted, copied, replayed. If the message is encrypted it can be still replayed. Passive battery free devices are limited in the energy they have, so they can do limited encryption, and limited handshaking. Any system that works without interaction can be fooled to work at a longer range, unless range measurements are taken, and this may require different hardware in car.

Tap to pay has basically no security whatsoever, except for a per transaction financial limit and the 3 digits on the back of the card used for internet payments are never sent by radio.

Requiring users to press a button on phone or fob is the least we should have from a security standpoint. I can read credit cards, RFID car chips (most locksmiths can clone these). I can even clone cats and dogs and horses (well their tags)

I am not sure a model 3 is secure, but I would not assume so unless it is properly tested. Even then it can still be towed, and any alarm muted with a crowbar. At least a software update could improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I would have though some basic logic in the car could easily alert that the car was in the process of being stolen.

So, an owner registers his location, say home or work. The Tesla measures gps and mobile network and seta, as a benchmark..

If during the theft process, both gps and mobile network is lost, set off the car alarm and cut the engine.

Great fun when the wife borrows the car then.
    In fact, any scenario where the vehicle looses both gps and network coverage while static should set off the car alarm and disable the engine

Traffic jam in a tunnel, or concrete jungle like Manhattan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lumen wrote: »
    Now, if he'd only stolen the helicopter first....

That happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4stberga_helicopter_robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

zg3409 wrote: »
    All radio based signals can be boosted, copied, replayed.

Time sensitive codes are useless if replayed. Many posters here have probably used a VPN token before - voila. Replay proof. Car could go into limp mode after 1km and then stop.

Car industry has and is typically about a decade behind everyone else in security. You can rent cars, link your phone, return the car then a week later remotely open all the doors......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faraday-Lanpard-Blocker-Blocking-Security/dp/B07PP1X4MJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JAJKEM5PPAMJ&keywords=rfid+key+pouch&qid=1582707916&sprefix=rfid%2Caps%2C393&sr=8-3

we have insurance through a work broker so theyre pretty good, wont affect NCB or NCB discount.

grand. forms sent in so now just play the waiting game id say. hopefully not as bad as when my toyota chaser was stolen, took the assessor months to come up with a fair price.

If you’ve been through it before then you probably know but it’s still worth mentioning, the assessor will start with a low ball figure. You don’t have to accept it. Do some research and know the car’s actual value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeah, thats a given. i only had the car a few months so i know exactly what i paid and what the prices are like here.

the login to account part to drive is grand but still requires an internet connection. when i brought the car back to Ireland, the sim card wasnt working for about a month, so car had no connectivity. i was using my phone as a hotspot evertime i got in the car, but that might not be an option for everyone.

one day the sim card magically started working after a software update.

no update on the car or the insurance yet. have to send the keyfobs to insurance, bit reluctant to just post them. registered post is best option?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

have to send the keyfobs to insurance, bit reluctant to just post them. registered post is best option?

for the sake of an extra euro or 2. deffo registered post. or better still personally drop them into reception if they're in Dublin and you have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

markpb wrote: »
    What happens these cars after they have been stolen? Presumably the next time the car stops, it will complain that the key is out of range and refuse to start again.

Eastern european car software wizards probably. They would have a way of hacking it to make it work without the proper fob. They could probably even have stolen the car if the fob was secured or nowhere nearby.
    The car is probably in a container out of the country as we type.

You'll never get this back. Just claim theft on your insurance and forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/airtags/ , these things will be relatively cheap and popular in a couple of years. If you car does get stolen and you've hidden it well on the car , on you phone app, mark it as stolen. when someone walks by near the car with the same app it'll message u it's location. If google brought out something similar for android it would be even better given 90% of the market is using android phones.

It won't stop theives robbing the cars but it's something for them to worry about after getting away. Am interested in it for my bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Won't matter a shíte because all these stolen high-spec cars go to a remote location and leave the country in a matter of hours or days for the customer or for breaking up. They will not be parked on the side of the street somewhere. lol

Anyway, all the thieves have to do is have that app on their phone and scan the car for that device.

These fellas are well clued in and highly skilled and keep up to date on the technology, defeats and countermeasures and defeats for those countermeasures - this is their career and livelihood. If they want your car, they will be taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/airtags/ , these things will be relatively cheap and popular in a couple of years. If you car does get stolen and you've hidden it well on the car , on you phone app, mark it as stolen. when someone walks by near the car with the same app it'll message u it's location. If google brought out something similar for android it would be even better given 90% of the market is using android phones.

It won't stop theives robbing the cars but it's something for them to worry about after getting away. Am interested in it for my bicycle.

Can't see that being much good, it would be a lottery that someone with that App would happen to pass your stolen car.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Can't see that being much good, it would be a lottery that someone with that App would happen to pass your stolen car.

It would most likely be at the OS level. Apple already does something similar for its other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

ethernet wrote: »
    It would most likely be at the OS level. Apple already does something similar for its other devices.

exactly the point , thought i made it too . I mentioned google as they will likely put it in android . Lotto chances a lot higher then. And even if it's gone out of the courntry in a matter of hours, if you hide it deep and well, your practically going to have to take apart the whole car to find it and you won't even know if there is one there (can silently send a message to the owner). Also on ports all you need is an employee with an iphone in his pocket with the latest updates. scheduled for sometime mid year. It's just something cheap to consider.

Update

looks like they caught the scumbag. he brought a crashed model S in from the UK and basically swapped my entire car over to that chassis.
    dirty bstrd, im fuming.. painted it black too.

wont say much more but he is being done for a few nissan leafs also...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Great that they found the guy.

Hopefully the throw the book at him...

Also, guards said apparently the pin to drive can be hacked also....

Great that they found the guy.

Hopefully the throw the book at him...

non national, will probably get bail and do a runner home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Update

looks like they caught the scumbag. he brought a crashed model S in from the UK and basically swapped my entire car over to that chassis.

Do you get the car back or insurance sorted it?

Do you get the car back or insurance sorted it?

insurance had paid out so the aprts are techncially theirs.. they might offer it cheap :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Update

I’ve often thought about this. It’s not as if you can use the features etc as the log in and everything is linked to the vin.

Glad he was caught.
    Did they say what part of the country he was based?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Glad there's some closure, at least you know the outcome.

Wonder would it have been easy to spot it as a cloned car at NCT? Surely the colour change would have been noticeable, then again original colour details might have only applied where colour change was done while on Irish VLC, I doubt we capture original UK colour changes after imported here.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’ve often thought about this. It’s not as if you can use the features etc as the log in and everything is linked to the vin.

Glad he was caught.
    Did they say what part of the country he was based?

Dublin

Glad there's some closure, at least you know the outcome.

Wonder would it have been easy to spot it as a cloned car at NCT? Surely the colour change would have been noticeable, then again original colour details might have only applied where colour change was done while on Irish VLC, I doubt we capture original UK colour changes after imported here.

dont think the NCT check colour or anything ,the reg would have matched the chassis vin so they would have cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭3d4life

Any idea how he located yours?

Might it have been through https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107679 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you get the car back

Cant see how that would have been possible anyway if the car was stripped and the parts put on another chassis. Theyd hardly give you back the car with a different chassis.

non national, will probably get bail and do a runner home.

Probably serve a few months max for car theft.... Sentences running concurrently for multiple offences.

Joke really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cant see how that would have been possible anyway if the car was stripped and the parts put on another chassis. Theyd hardly give you back the car with a different chassis.

I'd be more thinking they simply took the chassis plates off the crashed car and put them on the OP's stolen car.

Advertisement