Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I only saw the front of the news and star now - is it wrong though? Based of the lunacy I saw in Tesco this morning it looks like the place is on lockdown. Or at least people seem to be preparing for it

Last weeks front page was worse to be honest

ESLT46GWsAALHHM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

I read that one. Wasn’t it a nurse or something saying that the place couldn’t handle infection?

Mad headline but tbh I think UHW is more prepared than most for this with the Dunmore wing full of isolation rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

I only saw the front of the news and star now - is it wrong though? Based of the lunacy I saw in Tesco this morning it looks like the place is on lockdown. Or at least people seem to be preparing for it

It is wrong. Its sensationalist and breeds fear amongst those that read it which would be primarily people in the elderly age bracket ("the paper" being akin to a local bible).

I read that one. Wasn’t it a nurse or something saying that the place couldn’t handle infection?

Mad headline but tbh I think UHW is more prepared than most for this with the Dunmore wing full of isolation rooms.

Dont know who said it but whoever did it doesnt mean it should be spread across the front page and its only the word of one person out of a workforce of over 2000,yeah i agree that Ardkeen is better prepared to handle this than most hospitals across the country.

I dont think ive seen any local media come out with helpful things regarding the virus like all the washing of hands and HSE recommendations ,they would be a lot more useful if they did.

Dont know who said it but whoever did it doesnt mean it should be spread across the front page and its only the word of one person out of a workforce of over 2000,yeah i agree that Ardkeen is better prepared to handle this than most hospitals across the country.

I dont think ive seen any local media come out with helpful things regarding the virus like all the washing of hands and HSE recommendations ,they would be a lot more useful if they did.

Im not in the industry but to be honest, do people really want to read that? The same people who love court pages and all that type of stuff probably lap up that type of hysteria.

• Advertisement

Im not in the industry but to be honest, do people really want to read that? The same people who love court pages and all that type of stuff probably lap up that type of hysteria.

Washing your hands and being hygienic so we can all try our best to stop the spread of this virus is hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's tabloid level and Tiernan, Skelton, The News & Star, and WLR should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It is wrong. Its sensationalist and breeds fear amongst those that read it which would be primarily people in the elderly age bracket ("the paper" being akin to a local bible).

Agree, wrong and sensationalist.

Washing your hands and being hygienic so we can all try our best to stop the spread of this virus is hysteria?

Of course not, I meant the other stuff that the news and star and Tiernan do, the more sensational stuff. A lot of people can’t get enough of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Having read this thread, im surprised at the amount of bile directed towards Skelton and Tiernan. some of it obviously personal from a long held grudge or for something that one of them said to or about a friend of these keyboard warriors. Part of the job and im sure they have thick skins to shrug off the abuse. When hard questions are asked of politicians, people will always lash out first. Its a natural defence mechanism to distract from all manner of unpleasant feelings.

However, taking a purely objective view, both are fantastic journalists who ask the right questions. Certainly Tiernan didn't give Mary Butler an inch of wiggle room in the recent interview about the canvassing scandal. He got in there again and again and asked the exact questions people wanted answers to. Same when Leo Varadkar came on, he grilled him on 24/7 care and the North Quays and he wasn't at all fazed by him, asking the hard questions over and over until Leo had to answer.

Same with Skelton, he goes straight for the jugular and asks direct questions on budgets, cronyism, cardiac care etc. Now correct me if im wrong, but can you name another journalist in WLR with that ability? Certainly I cannot and I looked though their staff- 90% of them there donkeys years and no ability to cut down the bullsh!t and get direct answers. Take aside your silly grudge and at least respect that there are 2 hard working and brave journalists in Waterford city no afraid to tell the truth. Or if you want to bury your head in the sand, then read the multitude of weak and cowardly journalists in this city, of which there are no shortage. I know what I pick anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like civil behavior and some consideration of the circumstances and that's aimed as much at this thread as it is the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Elderly people with existing illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

They are testing in the lab now in waterford

Of course not, I meant the other stuff that the news and star and Tiernan do, the more sensational stuff. A lot of people can’t get enough of it

Apologies i misunderstood what you were saying,yeah true there is a lot of people out there who cant get enough of the sensational stuff,personally i think all the media should be working together and releasing any info at an agreed time like Harry mentioned a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Apologies i misunderstood what you were saying,yeah true there is a lot of people out there who cant get enough of the sensational stuff,personally i think all the media should be working together and releasing any info at an agreed time like Harry mentioned a few pages back

I think the media should be told to not report so much about this. It's not helping anyone really - and instead causes panic

Media are reporting it fine, its not the medias fault if people are complete and utter gobsh*tes and go into panic mode bulk buying. Releasing the info on the case in WRH also right and by looks of it they still haven't learned anything from the swine flu. Same thing then, people let wander around out from A+E Triage and into A+E front area to get food, use loo etc. I know I saw it one night when I had to go there. I think people here seem to have more of an issue with DS and DT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Elderly people with existing illnesses.

Still died. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

On the maria macann show about a week ago they were saying it's just the flu no need to panic...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

On the maria macann show about a week ago they were saying it's just the flu no need to panic...

I think many people are oblivious to how many people die from flu annually and are then a bit surprised to hear the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

spookwoman wrote: »
    Media are reporting it fine, its not the medias fault if people are complete and utter gobsh*tes and go into panic mode bulk buying. Releasing the info on the case in WRH also right and by looks of it they still haven't learned anything from the swine flu. Same thing then, people let wander around out from A+E Triage and into A+E front area to get food, use loo etc. I know I saw it one night when I had to go there. I think people here seem to have more of an issue with DS and DT.

I totally agree with you on this, people are just being ridiculous by bulk buying, the supermarkets should be restricting quantities per person.
    There is enough out there for everyone if people would just stop hoarding.
    I think it's good that the media are informing people as we are entitled to know what's going on. It's a fact that the coronavirus is here not a rumour, we just need to face facts.
    No need to shoot the messenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

jopax wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on this, people are just being ridiculous by bulk buying, the supermarkets should be restricting quantities per person.
    There is enough out there for everyone if people would just stop hoarding.
    I think it's good that the media are informing people as we are entitled to know what's going on. It's a fact that the coronavirus is here not a rumour, we just need to face facts.
    No need to shoot the messenger

Certainly, ridiculous. In Supervalue on Wednesday, what is also ridiculous is people that passed the hand sanitiser station on the way into the supermarket and did not use it. People are panicking over running out of toilet paper because of some nonsense story on the internet. But something practical that will help the situation like good hand hygiene and they won’t do it. Bizarre way to think.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Certainly, ridiculous. In Supervalue on Wednesday, what is also ridiculous is people that passed the hand sanitiser station on the way into the supermarket and did not us it. People are panicking over running out of toilet paper because of some nonsense story on the internet. But something practical that will help the situation like good hand hygiene and they won’t do it. Bizarre way to think.

Ardkeen stores people in and out and non using the sanitizer on the wall. Parents were in doing their weekly shop first thing said tesco empty shelves again but supervalue was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

spookwoman wrote: »

Reading the Irish Times yesterday, they showed one or two busy supermarkets while explaining that they had to report on one or two examples, but were at pains to remind people that there was no need to panic buy or hoard.

I thought the News and Star front page was a bit irresponsible and reckless.

The headline should be "shops are open today and open every day"

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

The headline should be "shops are open today and open every day"

Unfortunately common sense soon goes out the window when a natural disaster comes knocking.

I know for a fact (as colleagues of mine have told me) that all of the supermarkets in Waterford (and in Ireland) are fully stocked. What happened yesterday was that panic and hysteria set in and people rushed out and bought in bulk. The staff were unable to restock the shelves from the stock rooms as all tills had to be opened to cope with the onslaught. Also all supermarket chains be it Aldi/Lidl/Supervalu etc have massive distribution centres across the country.

Personally I would hate to begin to think about the amount of food wastage as a direct result of this panic spree.

Finally just to top off all the madness a story from DID Electrical out in Ardkeen..... yesterday they sold approx 150 freezers! In one day! In Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

"The staff of Cartamundi have been informed that there have been two more positive cases of Covid-19 in Waterford." according to Darren Skelton

does this mean cases in cartamundi or the cartamundi staff were given some private info?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I was just in Aldi at the glen.

For anyone considering going into aldi the glen this evening, dont bother. All the essentials are gone.

Tesco poleberry had everything except eggs.

Eggs are the new toilet roll, had that myself yesterday in Lidl-land.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eggs are the new toilet roll, had that myself yesterday in Lidl-land.

Got unlimited eggs, 3 chickens out the back! :)

Advertisement