Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Staff from Cartamundi are self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Was the chap from last night from Cartamundi so?

The lad in hospital is as far as I know. More staff were told to isolate themselves but no decision has been made for shift workers arriving in. Ridiculous situation for people to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Was the chap from last night from Cartamundi so?

heard he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Communication has been made, recommendations have also been made to people. Funding has been put in place along with planning.

What more do you want?

This situation is an awkward one, you close down a country completely like Italy when there's no need and you'll throw it into a recession. Then we'll have people like yourself commenting about how the government has overreacted and caused 1,000's to be a out of jobs needlessly.

We live in unprecedented times, the last time the world had to deal with something like this was really the Spanish flu and back then the likes of UK, USA, Germany, France all ignored it...but Spain didn't, they reported on it and thats why its called the Spanish Flu.

Ireland;s response is fairly measured so far and it makes sense, its practical and imho well communicated through a number of mediums. We didn't jump the gun and knee jerk cancel St Patricks but we known the less eventually cancelled it as we saw things change. It had plenty of time to make the decision yet people were bitching and moaning on social media like it needed to be made ASAP.

By comparison the UK went ahead with Cheltenham which attracts upwards of 50k people each day! The USA is also basically a clusterf**k of incompetence and ignorance with the president trying to play it down....ironically repeating the same mistakes of the Spanish flu by playing it down.

In addition the Ireland';s changes to illness benefit are very much a positive move, the USA which by comparison has no such plans and has no real illness programmes so its going to end up with countless sick people going to work because they have no funds.

All of this, fair play, on the button. We're so lucky and the provisions made available right now will save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Motivator

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So tell me, is he still a prick now that WLR and RTE's health correspondent are reporting it? Maybe he just broke the story early, maybe give him some credit....

Yeah he still is a prick. You obviously don’t know the man

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Motivator wrote:
    Yeah he still is a prick. You obviously don’t know the man

Maybe he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Gardner

spookwoman wrote: »

why does he need to report this and not the HSE publically announce it. some chip on his shoulder

Max Powers wrote: »
    I must be one of the few people who think the likes of HSE are doing a decent job on this, communication is good, looks like HSE/govt are learning from what is happening elsewhere, lets face it there are going to be hundreds of cases in a short period of time here no matter what you do right now. there are medical experts who seem to be advising and leading this, they know when the right time is to take the right action.
    I'm more worried about the B.S.people are posting and saying in real life and Irish peoples lack of civic mindedness or working as a cooperative collective which will be essential when this progresses. The likes of taking the precautions advised by govt and it's agencies.we've all seen people not bother their ar$€ doing the hand sanitizer at the hospital entrance, we've already seen panic buying start for toilet too for jeebus sake.

excellent post. maybe the local media might take it on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Lack of Civic mindedness = Nail on the head. Too many idiots posting on social media trying to look like hard men who know better then the real experts.

Good to note that the local print media are being cautious and acting in the public interest by not causing anxiety/panic/hysteria.... front page headline in this week's Wfd News + Star... "WATERFORD ON LOCK DOWN!" :eek::rolleyes:

Cue, Joe Public running to local supermarket stocking up on pasta, noodles and toilet rolls :D

Pattern panic buy Item for Snow/Ice Age = Sliced Pan's
    Pattern Panic buy Item for Corona = Toilet Rolls

I think the moderators need to step in at this point. I’ve stated before that I’ve met Darren Skelton on one occasion. He did a remarkably nice turn for our mother, so I’m getting that out of the way before I’m accused of being his friend/lover/brother or whatever.

We have a #bekind bull on Facebook and yet people are allowed to call him a prick etc on this site. I don’t even know if he’s seen any of it, or even cares but I assume because his brother is on here, he probably has.

I don’t see what he has done wrong here. Tiernan has done 100s times worse but doesn’t seem to get the level of abuse that Darren does. He reported information that the public deserve to know about but the HSE are not telling us, and people are abusing him because of that. WLR and the Times covered it after and nobody said a word. I was genuinely tempted to send him a message on Twitter last night to thank him for keeping us up to date - and sure maybe I will later.

In the meantime, maybe people should cut out the personal abuse, especially if you’re doing it behind an anonymous username.

I think the moderators need to step in at this point. I’ve stated before that I’ve met Darren Skelton on one occasion. He did a remarkably nice turn for our mother, so I’m getting that out of the way before I’m accused of being his friend/lover/brother or whatever.

We have a #bekind bull on Facebook and yet people are allowed to call him a prick etc on this site. I don’t even know if he’s seen any of it, or even cares but I assume because his brother is on here, he probably has.

I don’t see what he has done wrong here. Tiernan has done 100s times worse but doesn’t seem to get the level of abuse that Darren does. He reported information that the public deserve to know about but the HSE are not telling us, and people are abusing him because of that. WLR and the Times covered it after and nobody said a word. I was genuinely tempted to send him a message on Twitter last night to thank him for keeping us up to date - and sure maybe I will later.

In the meantime, maybe people should cut out the personal abuse, especially if you’re doing it behind an anonymous username.

yes for obvious reasons. can you not get that into your brain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see trolley count has tumbled fancy that.

Tiernan out in Cartamundi now. If Darren did that I’d say this site would explode with the abuse that would come his way.

All the staff of cartamundi are now targets and people will want to stay away from them in future.

Gardner wrote: »
    yes for obvious reasons. can you not get that into your brain?

Let’s see what you have to say about Tiernan so.

Let’s see what you have to say about Tiernan so.

sure himself and Skelton are buddies!

Gardner wrote: »
    sure himself and Skelton are buddies!

So?

This is genuinely annoying me so much because in other countries people are given a lot more information than we are here. Apparently supervisors in Hasbro are being tested. If you know one of them personally, do you think you deserve to know this? I’m with Tiernan here I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Tiernan out in Cartamundi now. If Darren did that I’d say this site would explode with the abuse that would come his way.

All the staff of cartamundi are now targets and people will want to stay away from them in future.

The media are absolutely delighted to have something to report on. Especially if its something new and uncertain that we don't fully understand yet.

I wonder if they'll be providing live updates on the flu in future years when we'll get somewhere between 500-1000 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

So?

This is genuinely annoying me so much because in other countries people are given a lot more information than we are here. Apparently supervisors in Hasbro are being tested. If you know one of them personally, do you think you deserve to know this? I’m with Tiernan here I have to say.

Yes this is just fantastic! So someone in Hasbro has COVID-19, Tiernan goes to Hasbro then brings it to WLR’s offices in a large residential area of the city. Well done Damien spread it around good. Go into an old peoples home next and really tell medical advice and common sense to go **** themselves.

The media are not helping as some people here seem to naively think, they are just stirring up fear for their gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Damien seems to interviewing some lad from a hospital bed in Ardkeen. Don't think its particularly helpful unless they're asking a healthcare professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I turned on WLR now based on posts here, talk about scaremongering and ill-advised finger pointing!

Some "expert" (Liz?) slating UHW for not closing to cleanse the ward from where the first Waterford case had spent some time - I thought the virus can only live so long outside of the body therefore do not see the importance of that at this time. Correct me if I am wrong!
    And DT slating UHW for not providing him with an expert to answer "simple" questions daily.

In a week's time our hospitals are going to be under incredible pressure...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Schools, colleges and childcare facilities shutting from tomorrow until provisionally the 29th of March

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

WLR News

"Crowds will not attend GAA or League Of Ireland fixtures for the rest of the year"

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

WIT closed from 6 pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Tarzann wrote: »
    WLR News

"Crowds will not attend GAA or League Of Ireland fixtures for the rest of the year"

Good old WLR stoking the hysteria! I am waiting for the "Christmas is Cancelled" announcement soon....:D

CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

not trying to down play the whole situation as someone has caught this illness in the city,but when you look at the bigger picture it may not be as bad for Waterford as people think.
    Wuhan has a population of around 11 million people and is probably only the size of cork ( correct me if im wrong ) . Doubt the national broadcasters there were informing anyone there ,or in China of what was happening until it was too late. it was bound to spread rapidly there as time went on .
    Italy is probably the most popular tourist destination in Europe so they would have a lot of people coming from afar to visit and as the world is such a small place nowadays it would not take long for it to spread rapidly there either with the amount of tourists passing through.

Waterford on the other hand has not a massive tourist trade IMO so should not be getting the visitors that the likes of Dublin would . If people follow the national guidelines about the washing of hands ,coughing into sleeve , self isolation if needed etc i doubt it will hit as bad here.

Do think its a good idea to shut schools though , kids would not have the cop on to wash hands regular and would spread this around faster ,would also be staying out of town unless it was a necessity ,until it is all under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

DT is a pain in the hole and he is doing what the news and star are doing only he's making videos and not printing it,they are both as bad as each other but all the personal abuse is uncalled for ,i doubt anyone would call him a prick to his face!

• Advertisement

I only saw the front of the news and star now - is it wrong though? Based of the lunacy I saw in Tesco this morning it looks like the place is on lockdown. Or at least people seem to be preparing for it

Advertisement