Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Wanderer78 wrote: »

all rules and laws apply equally to all citizens, some of us just sometimes choose to ignore these from time to time, in order to maintain our well being, particularly our mental well being. it also depends what you call rich, i drive a 16 year old car, i dont own a house, ive virtually nothing else to my name, if this is rich, so be it! some folks on the internets should watch their judgementalness! once again, one of my therapists costs 70 a visit, in my world, this is more or less equal to a 100 euro fine, that has similar outcomes, i.e. same same in my world!

Good point why should you (or others in the same position) be penalised and/or charged a premium price for a service the Govt should provide? I assume a therapy session only lasts an hour or so and would be needed quite regularly to get any lasting benefit?
    Being rich does not necessarily mean you have to "keep up with the Jones's" by having a 21 Reg car, big house, loadsa gadgets etc. Happiness and good health are worth much more IMO. Big ideas and "notions" equate to spending more than you have & greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good point why should you (or others in the same position) be penalised and/or charged a premium price for a service the Govt should provide? I assume a therapy session only lasts an hour or so and would be needed quite regularly to get any lasting benefit?
    Being rich does not necessarily mean you have to "keep up with the Jones's" by having a 21 Reg car, big house, loadsa gadgets etc. Happiness and good health are worth much more IMO. Big ideas and "notions" equate to spending more than you have & greed.

sometimes yes, regular sessions are required, once weekly would be normal, and in extreme cases twice weekly, thankfully never been the case for myself. contact maybe needed for months on end, and in some cases longer term, maybe even lifetime. im very grateful though that i have free to access public services, in which id be completely lost without, and frankly, broke, if they didnt exist. but this required me to pay for my own assessments in order to get access to, some assessments can be extremely expensive, in excess of a grand or two, again, ive been lucky, ive been able to afford such services, some simply cannot, thats rather disturbing to know. i can foresee such services will more than likely be swamped post covid, if not already, our health system is in serious trouble, particularly the psychological element of our system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

They needed a 2nd freezer lorry to store dead bodies in ardkeen to deal with fallout of opening up for less than 10 days for xmas

Noone wants lockdowns,but the alternative is much worse

There is no right way or wrong way to deal with the pandemic. I don’t agree with it but the belief that some hold, like many in the US for example, that we should just continue as normal is just as valid as the strategy the Irish government has taken.

However, to my mind the strategy the Irish government has taken was not the correct balance. It is too much weighed in favour of COVID and not enough on everything else.

The vast majority of people who died have lived their life. The strategy the Irish government has taken has taken a huge toll on the country. Basically so people who are 85 and can live to 86 for example. And cover up the cracks in a chronically badly run health service. I’m sorry to say it but it is true and that is how I have felt for some time now about what is happening.

BBM77 wrote: »
    There is no right way or wrong way to deal with the pandemic. I don’t agree with it but the belief that some hold, like many in the US for example, that we should just continue as normal is just as valid as the strategy the Irish government has taken.

However, to my mind the strategy the Irish government has taken was not the correct balance. It is too much weighed in favour of COVID and not enough on everything else.

The vast majority of people who died have lived their life. The strategy the Irish government has taken has taken a huge toll on the country. Basically so people who are 85 and can live to 86 for example. And cover up the cracks in a chronically badly run health service. I’m sorry to say it but it is true and that is how I have felt for some time now about what is happening.

covid has shown how bad our health system is, and something radically different is needed to change in relation to it, but will we!

covid has shown how bad our health system is, and something radically different is needed to change in relation to it, but will we!

Doubt it

• Advertisement

Doubt it

cant see it either to be honest, theres something seriously wrong if germany can have 40 icu beds per 100k, and we only have 5! system is hemorrhaging money

cant see it either to be honest, theres something seriously wrong if germany can have 40 icu beds per 100k, and we only have 5! system is hemorrhaging money

FF-FG's end goal is to privatise everything. They would be happier if all of us had health ins and were treated in private hospitals. They have made one hell of a mess in this sector over the past 20 years. At this stage I'd let SF have a shot at running it. Just look at Cuba (a communist regime for over 50+yrs) which has one of the best health systems in the world despite American sanctions.

FF-FG's end goal is to privatise everything. They would be happier if all of us had health ins and were treated in private hospitals. They have made one hell of a mess in this sector over the past 20 years. At this stage I'd let SF have a shot at running it. Just look at Cuba (a communist regime for over 50+yrs) which has one of the best health systems in the world despite American sanctions.

unfortunately yes, but their ideologies are actually starting to collapse globally, and they are digging their heels in, when its blatantly obvious, this doesnt work, i suspect we could be experiencing the end game for the ffg era of politics, and their domination in governance.

ah i think countries such as cuba are glorified to some degree, particularly by those of us on the left, i suspect life isnt all that rosey in such countries, i do believe capatalism still has a significant place in our future, i certainly hope it does anyway, it has well proven its worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

E1ClpSAWQAEzgxE?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

Exactly - look at Cuba. Absolutely dirt poor. Is that what you want for the optics of a functioning health system?

• Advertisement

feckwunker wrote: »
    Exactly - look at Cuba. Absolutely dirt poor. Is that what you want for the optics of a functioning health system?

A higher life expentancy than america (due to early intervention from being free)...developed their own covid vaccine,which they shared for free with the world

Afaik have developed a treatment for throat/lung cancer,that is world leading.......at start of covid,when eu squabbled over who would pay for lockdowns etc,while italy was on its knees,it was cuban (and china) doctors,what come to their rescue......it may be a poor country,but no western/liberial country comes out of covid looking rosey compared to em.....

is having houses on dunmore road and kings channel,worth 500K plus,whule people are sleeping in tents in the city centre,a health service that collapses with few hundred extra severe cases....really worth it,to call our selves rich....maybe the commies arent all wrong??

A higher life expentancy than america (due to early intervention from being free)...developed their own covid vaccine,which they shared for free with the world

Afaik have developed a treatment for throat/lung cancer,that is world leading.......at start of covid,when eu squabbled over who would pay for lockdowns etc,while italy was on its knees,it was cuban (and china) doctors,what come to their rescue......it may be a poor country,but no western/liberial country comes out of covid looking rosey compared to em.....

is having houses on dunmore road and kings channel,worth 500K plus,whule people are sleeping in tents in the city centre,a health service that collapses with few hundred extra severe cases....really worth it,to call our selves rich....maybe the commies arent all wrong??

the west most definitely has some deep sole search to do after this one, but will we, or will we just default to the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

feckwunker wrote: »

Which makes our health system look more rediculous because Ireland is a wealthy nation, in fact we pump billions into our health system yet have a ****e two-tier system with about a million people on waiting lists. We need an NHS style system.

Which makes our health system look more rediculous because Ireland is a wealthy nation, in fact we pump billions into our health system yet have a ****e two-tier system with about a million people on waiting lists. We need an NHS style system.

its a very warped sense of wealth, primarily in the value of assets, in particular property and land, which is ultimately backed by debt

People who have houses worth 500k also have cars worth 100k and would not even know that there are homeless people living rough within a few miles of those Ivory Tower houses. Sadly that is the way of the world now. People are measured by what they earn, how big a house they inhabit and the who they "know". Thought Covid might provoke a bit of a reset in attitudes but sadly and most probably within a few months of resuming a somewhat normal existence the consumerist/capitalist rat race will begin to turn once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So, how long before we go into another lockdown due to the Indian variant getting in? if it isn't here already, although its been detected up the North so I suppose its quiet possible its in the republic already.

Hijpo wrote: »
    So, how long before we go into another lockdown due to the Indian variant getting in? if it isn't here already, although its been detected up the North so I suppose its quiet possible its in the republic already.

very possible alright, hopefully vaccines prevent major outbreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

#%$£! #%$£! #%$£! #%$£!

Due for vaccination tomorrow can't imagine how long it will take with the HSE computers system down due to ransomware. Even the Doctors surgery today was reduced to writing prescriptions by hand.

Wake me up when it's all over.

#%$£! #%$£! #%$£! #%$£!

Due for vaccination tomorrow can't imagine how long it will take with the HSE computers system down due to ransomware. Even the Doctors surgery today was reduced to writing prescriptions by hand.

yea thats a very worrying development, there really are some serious arseholes on this planet, to do such a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Covid testing and vaccines are not effected.

• Advertisement

The Covid testing and vaccines are not effected.

How smoothly do you think they will go without any computer system?

Might be fine but it according to people I know who have already vaccinated in Waterford it is a well oiled machine and I don't see that happening without computers.

Maybe someone reading this has had their vaccination at WIT Arena today and can put me right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How smoothly do you think they will go without any computer system?

Might be fine but it according to people I know who have already vaccinated in Waterford it is a well oiled machine and I don't see that happening without computers.

Maybe someone reading this has had their vaccination at WIT Arena today and can put me right?

It is not affected, it is a separate cloud based system.

Just back from my Covid vaccination at WIT Arena (60-69 age group astrazeneca vaccine).

The whole system seems to be working very well.

My appointment was for 12:00 I arrived at 11:55 and was seen at 12:00, the nurse chatting + questions, filling in details and filling a syringe took a few minutes and I was jabbed about 12:10.

Given card with vaccination details to be brought back for filling in when I get a second jab in 12 weeks.

Then out into a waiting area for 15 minutes before going home at 12:25.

Waiting area 50-60 well spaced seats with about 30 waiting their 15 minutes when I was there. Looks like 15 separate booths for giving the vaccinations.

Sign in carpark says not to leave you car until 3 minutes before your appointment.

There's a guy on the roundabout asking if you are going for a vaccination, then another as you go into the car park who sorts out parking (either park or drop off and park in a different location for pick up) then one at the door (outside) they check you on their list. Just inside the door you get asked the standard have you had Covid are you allergic type questions. Next you queue to have your details checked (multiple checking booths) PPS number DoB and photo ID + same questions as earlier, then you queue for the next available vaccination booth. None of the queues are more than a couple of people if any. Plenty of staff there directing you to the next part of the process.

Beware! There are a lot of fraudulent text messages claiming to be from the Keogh Practice offering vaccinations to under 50’s going around. After getting two in the last couple of days. Delete them straight away!

How do you know they are fraudulent?

JPA wrote: »
    How do you know they are fraudulent?

Vaccinations are not being offered to under 50’s yet. You don't book a vaccination through a dodgy calendy URL.

Vaccinations are not being offered to under 50’s yet. You don't book a vaccination through a dodgy calendy URL.

Vaccinations are being offered to medically vulnerable 18+ all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

BBM77 wrote:

They are not fraudulent,I got one and have my vaccine today

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    They are not fraudulent,I got one and have my vaccine today

Pretty dodgy way to do it if it is not. Sending out unsolicited URLs to people.
    JPA wrote: »
    Vaccinations are being offered to medically vulnerable 18+ all over the country.

Message does not say that, it say anybody 35 to 50 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Beware! There are a lot of fraudulent text messages claiming to be from the Keogh Practice offering vaccinations to under 50’s going around. After getting two in the last couple of days. Delete them straight away!

They are genuine messages being sent out by the Keogh practice and nothing to do with the vaccination portal. These appointments are only for vulnerable patients of theirs

9-C5-F46-E4-FD50-4-C3-E-A258-D75-F67-C7-B327.jpg

Advertisement