Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

This is hilarious , all the SF supporters on here who have been ranting and raving about FG and FF demanding change and when they get it, they are panicking about who’s going to run the country. They almost seem to be demanding that FG and FF go back into government despite demanding change -You actually couldn’t make this up :rolleyes:

Its like the kids have kicked the parents out of the house and now because they don’t have a job cant pay the bills , don’t know how to operate the washing machine , the dishes are going to pile up and the next door neighbour is calling around at 5 to discuss a boundary wall issue. Poor pets are having a meltdown, and worst of all there’s nobody to read them a bedtime story where it ends happily ever after.

Guys you got what you wanted , SF have the popular vote and just about the most seats (when you consider the Ceann Comhairle is FF) its up to them to form the government , FG and FF were roundly rejected by the electorate for their failings, they have no mandate. People have voted for change so let’s get on with it, form the government and start governing …

If SF, then decide actually you know what I preferred the comfortable seats on the other side of the Dail well then it’ll be up to FF and to a lesser extent FG to try and put something together until that time the ball is firmly in MLM’s hands. It’ll be some spoof though not to govern after the election they have had.

People on this thread still going on like the election hasn’t happened, going over old issues and grievances - the votes have been counted guys move on …..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Five years? LOL! If there isn't an election in the next month or so, there'll surely be one after the next budget. Wait till the real impact of Brexit bites hard and Sean/ Sinead will be on the war path.

FG are like the family on the housing list who are offered a house in a dodgy area and think "Nah, We'll wait for a better offer" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

They don't. It's impossible, even if you were on €200,000 you would still only be paying 45.2% tax.

You are fecking miles off with your statement, changing your stance to say: It's FIFTY % on overtime is still lying.

I think he means after deductions, I take home just over 48% of my paycheck after tax, prsi, usc and levies. I am in the bracket that SF want to apply further taxes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yurt! wrote: »
    Maybe we're having a good chuckle at the hubris and misfortune of FG voters who don't know how to bow out gracefully. Busy with their crystal ball and hot-take Tory boy economics telling us how Ireland is going to turn into Cuba because the country thumped their party for their demonstrable failures.

You have contradicted yourself many times in this thread.
    It's funny because Leo is now relishing his place on the ditch and and is busy picking out a comfy spot.

For a man that was apparently so enthusiastic to be Taoiseach a few short days ago, he's given up the ghost fairly handy when there is a clear viable FG/FF option on the table.

If SF are such a grave danger to the state, it's surely incumbent on Leo the patriot to get talking with amenable partners to form a government that excludes them in the national interest.
    All the noises from Leo is that he's content on the opposition benches. This isn't Fine Gael playing hard to get.

You can clearly see other smaller parties making moves and staking out other's positions. Evreyone is in the mix to form a coalition - except Leo who has more or less told everyone he's off for a nap.

You’re not happy when he accepts that FG will be in opposition, and you’re saying that they’re not bowing out gracefully.

What do you want? A punching bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

krissovo wrote: »
    I think he means after deductions, I take home just over 48% of my paycheck after tax, prsi, usc and levies. I am in the bracket that SF want to apply further taxes on.

I don't understand tbh,

Do you mean deductions as in pension/healthcare/tax saver tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Remember that weird-looking youngfella with the cast-off clothes at the back of the class in primary school, who spent the whole time leering unintelligibly at girls while playing with himself? That's what they're going to do. Oh and, as alluded to by several other posters, I give it twelve months at the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

I'll tell you this,, when they do wake up after a 5 year snozze.

The first thing the do is change leaders..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is like the Fine Gael bashers have run out of things to bash now.

Only 1 in 5 people voted for FG. It is everyone else's chance now.

For people who say they did nothing I think they have chosen to ignore

1) Gay Marriage
    2) Abortion

No other party ever delivered these in 100 years of the State. It needs to be said.

I look forward to seeing John Brady or David Cullinane discussing the future of Bord Iascaigh Mhara after Brexit starts rolling in. If I was living in Killybegs I would be genuinely shítting myself. Meet the new boss …. same as the old boss.

Gay marriage was a Labour policy, abortion was pretty much cross party. The parties ran away from it until the public mood changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

bullpost wrote: »
    FG are like the family on the housing list who are offered a house in a dodgy area and think "Nah, We'll wait for a better offer" :)

One with room for a trampoline and be able to keep horses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    SF overpromised in their manifesto

I'm truly shocked. A political party over-promising to get elected. Well goodness me. That must be the first time in the history of the state... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You don't need to run a budget surplus to build infrastructure or invest once you're creditworthy and service your debt. We were back on the markets a long time ago.

If he's Junior Cert, you've just failed your Leaving.

No you don’t need a budget surplus to build infrastructure. I’m a fan of building infrastructure btw - that would be the Keynesian in me. However what you cannot do is continue to borrow and run budget deficits as well. You might for a few years but it always ends with those IMF dudes arriving on Kildare Street.

That’s when FG shows its place in Irish political life. By cleaning up the mess left behind by others. It’s a noble and thankless calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yep. I can see him off backpacking around Vietnam or somewhere within the year.
    Funny how the opposition are hurlers from the ditch and don't want to govern and get ridiculed as whingers when they call government out on its policies, yet now that it's looking like FG willing, wanting to be opposition it's some kind of sound and reasoned stance.
    Would you not be pretty pissed to have voted FG only to have the leader welcome defeat like a brat, 'if I'm not in charge I'm taking me ball'?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Remember that weird-looking youngfella with the cast-off clothes at the back of the class in primary school, who spent the whole time leering unintelligibly at girls while playing with himself? .

Happiest days of your life Jim? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

It's funny because Leo is now relishing his place on the ditch and and is busy picking out a comfy spot.

For a man that was apparently so enthusiastic to be Taoiseach a few short days ago, he's given up the ghost fairly handy when there is a clear viable FG/FF option on the table.

If SF are such a grave danger to the state, it's surely incumbent on Leo the patriot to get talking with amenable partners to form a government that excludes them in the national interest.

So just to be clear, do you want a FG government?

Because if not you seem to be having a hell of a whinge about getting what you actually want

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You have contradicted yourself many times in this thread.

You’re not happy when he accepts that FG will be in opposition, and you’re saying that they’re not bowing out gracefully.

What do you want? A punching bag?

No contradiction. FG posters all over the threads just short of predicting SF will dig up Pol Pot and make him minister for agriculture or something. Those are the dimwits that aren't bowing out gracefully.

As for my criticisms of Leo, he is going into hiding. I'd rather the guy was out of public life in Ireland and in some sinecure in a multilateral organisation where he can't do any more harm - but they are only a couple of seats off the pace and could conceivably form the smaller part of a FF/FG coalition to stop the grave danger of SF taking the reigns. I wish he'd just admit he's taking a knee and walking off the job.

People still mounting a defence of FGs performance the past couple of years and still predicting doom for Ireland actually makes me laugh.

It takes a special type of incompetent for so many toxic social problems to develop in economy with the headline growth rates we've been experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Idbatterim wrote: »
    for all of those of you hoping this will be a blip for Fg, it might be, it wont be if they keep that moron varadkar at the helm, I see I am not the only one that wont vote for them again, with that spinessless weasel at the helm!

To be fair, nobody would be able to court your vote. I've read a lot of your posts over the past few months. You're all over the place politically.

You want reductions in USC, LPT, tax rate, raise the tax bands, reduce social welfare for those you deem spongers, move social tenants out of the city, reduction of house prices, increased spending on infrastructure and have Leo Varadkar shot.

...And then you voted SF? I mean, they might do 1/3rd of the policies you seem to want and the other 2/3rds you'll despise them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Leo has his seat picked out.

Right at the back, the one nearest the radiator, and has the alarm on his phone set for 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

tritium wrote: »
    So just to be clear, do you want a FG government?

Because if not you seem to be having a hell of a whinge about getting what you actually want

Very strange

FG involved in government is the last thing this country needs, it's just amusing watching them run from it when it's still within their grasp.

storker wrote: »
    Happiest days of your life Jim? ;)

No, that'd be young Yurt! there imagining FG politicians slipping on banana-skins. He must've been bitten by Garret Fitzgerald as a child, or something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

To be fair, nobody would be able to court your vote. I've read a lot of your posts over the past few months. You're all over the place politically.

You want reductions in USC, LPT, tax rate, raise the tax bands, reduce social welfare for those you deem spongers, move social tenants out of the city, reduction of house prices, increased spending on infrastructure and have Leo Varadkar shot.

...And then you voted SF? I mean, they might do 1/3rd of the policies you seem to want and the other 2/3rds you'll despise them for.

yes on the irish policial spectrum, the policies are fcuking madness, of course I dont have one party where I can say I am very confident in them. as good as no property tax, water charges etc. A very small tax base, which they want to narrow all the time. Go and propose this tin pot republics taxation model to the uk, germany , wherever, its a farce!

When I say getting rid of LPT, and USC, its idiocy, but you have to take it in the irish context, its that or spent on welfare increases, what a tough choice :rolleyes:

when the **** hits the fan again, whether you increase welfare by 500,000,000 a year as is typical or abolish LPT and forego 500,000,000 there is zero financial difference to the state. This spending good, increased tax good, yeah it is for RTE and the huge amounts here, who are massive benefactors of the theft rates of tax, that mid to high income earners here are paying for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tortured soul that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No contradiction. FG posters all over the threads just short of predicting SF will dig up Pol Pot and make him minister for agriculture or something. Those are the dimwits that aren't bowing out gracefully.

As for my criticisms of Leo, he is going into hiding. I'd rather the guy was out of public life in Ireland and in some sinecure in a multilateral organisation where he can't do any more harm - but they are only a couple of seats off the pace and could conceivably form the smaller part of a FF/FG coalition to stop the grave danger of SF taking the reigns. I wish he'd just admit he's taking a knee and walking off the job.

People still mounting a defence of FGs performance the past couple of years and still predicting doom for Ireland actually makes me laugh.

It takes a special type of incompetent for so many toxic social problems to develop in economy with the headline growth rates we've been experiencing.

Reading between the lines here, and I might be completely wrong, might you prefer an *effective* FF/FG government over a SF led government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Like FG's promise to abolish USC in 2016? I can list others if you like.
    Here's a real shocker all political parties tell lies, we as an electorate have grown used to it.

They negotiated a programme for government with FF that didn't include that
    FF said NO to it
    Minority Parties that form governments haven't told lies when their manifesto isnt fully implemented
    Only parties than get majorities can be accused of that
    You should know that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

single people earning above 35,300 if single, dont pay FIFTY percent?

please see the below income tax calculator!

I am saying for every euro you earn over E35,300 as a single person, you pay 50c of it in tax. pretty simple to understand, pretty moronic rate and implications...

You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about - anything above 35,300 is taxed @40%.

After that, USC kicks in which everyone pays at varying levels.

jimgoose wrote: »
    No, that'd be young Yurt! there imagining FG politicians slipping on banana-skins.

He should have know that when they hit the ground it's due to dangerous swings. ;)
    He must've been bitten by Garret Fitzgerald as a child, or something. :pac:

Garret? It's hard to imagine Garret even biting into a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Keyzer wrote: »

You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about - anything above 35,300 is taxed @40%;.

After that, USC kicks in which everyone pays at varying levels.

hang on a minute, this old chestnut! the marginal rate is 50%, I couldnt care less whether it is 1% income tax and 49% tooth fairy tax! should I? you havent go a clue, please check that income tax calculator link I posted. I will be sure to tell my employees, on your behalf, that they are wrong to turn down extra hours, because it is only 40% that will be thieved from them, not 50%...

the god knows how many people who turned down extra hours over the years, must all be wrong... When you lose fifty percent of salary and then might have to pay extra childcare etc, most wont bother and they are right!

...they are only a couple of seats off the pace and could conceivably form the smaller part of a FF/FG coalition to stop the grave danger of SF taking the reigns. I wish he'd just admit he's taking a knee and walking off the job...

If McDonald had any real political acumen she'd stay away from government and likely as not walk into a sweeping majority at the next election. Varadkar is doing the only politically astute thing he can do in the circumstances, which is let SF get on with whatever hash-up they might be able to cobble together, let it come down in a heap soon enough, and thus with any luck put that whole ridiculous shambles to bed for at least ten years. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Keyzer wrote: »

hang on a minute, this old chestnut! the marginal rate is 50%, I couldnt care less whether it is 1% income tax and 49% tooth fairy tax! should I? you havent go a clue, please check that income tax calculator link I posted. I will be sure to tell my employees, on your behalf, that they are wrong to turn down extra hours, because it is only 40% that will be thieved from them, not 50%...

the god knows how many people who turned down extra hours over the years, must all be wrong... When you lose fifty percent of salary and then might have to pay extra childcare etc, most wont bother and they are right!

Who are you quoting there old chum? Cos that's not my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

when the **** hits the fan again, whether you increase welfare by 500,000,000 a year as is typical or abolish LPT and forego 500,000,000 there is zero financial difference to the state. This spending good, increased tax good, yeah it is for RTE and the huge amounts here, who are massive benefactors of the theft rates of tax, that mid to high income earners here are paying for them

Problem is, using your analogy, SF will cut taxes by 500,000,000 AND increase social spending by 500,000,000. They'll have to borrow money to do it which means increased debt repayments and no fiscal room for any economic down turn. You're a braver man than I to vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

FG involved in government is the last thing this country needs, it's just amusing watching them run from it when it's still within their grasp.
    They are not running anywhere,they want to be the official opposition which is what the electorate have decided
    They lost the election and are actually implementing a promise not to go into government with Sinn Féin and you are criticising this?
    Leo by the way got himself elected in his own constituency as did 34 other Fine Gael candidates which despite your apparent hatrid of them means they have rights as do their voters,very considerable rights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement