Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Augeo wrote: »
    SF are a contrary party, their policies are based on waffle and dangerous promises. The multinationals that they want to tax more will be key in keeping peoples income during these times.

Google were straight onto folk working from home..... Much of their staff can. It's industry/business like that Ireland needs more of. We shouldn't do anything to discourage FDI growth.

We are as well off with SF continuing as they have been the last 7 days..... SFA.

We are very fortunate now the way the lack of government formation panned out from SF and their lack of any tangible effort to govern. The very last thing we need right now is a bunch of green, reckless spendthrifts anywhere near core decision making. I suspect once this passes over the madness of having SF anywhere near government will dawn and support for SF will ebb back to normal levels.

They are dithering again on closing venues.

There is always a need for an opposition as no government is perfect.

There's no dithering.
    Over 100 indoors has been dealt with..... Most venues are closed. Folk have been informed.

You are illustrative of SF..... Moan about everything while doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not dithering at all. Following best available advice. Pity the likes of the UK are not doing the same. Could really cost us.

This is probably the biggest crisis we will ever see in our lifetimes. We need to all work together for the immediate future. Opposition now will only cause division and conflict. Time for the other parties to step up and be counted.
    Pointing out failure and lapses is in the public interest and the duty of opposition.

Looking for pats on the back is a bit cringe.
    For what it is worth, I think overall they are handling this well.
    I dont think anybody is seeking to divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Augeo wrote: »
    There's no dithering.
    Over 100 indoors has been dealt with..... Most venues are closed. Folk have been informed.

You are illustrative of SF..... Moan about everything while doing nothing.

Small businesses are going to start shutting down now. That is really going to hurt. We are looking at mass lay offs. I really feel for those people. This will be a massive challenge going forward.

Pointing out failure and lapses is in the public interest and the duty of opposition.

Looking for pats on the back is a bit cringe.
    For what it is worth, I think overall they are handling this well.
    I dont think anybody is seeking to divide.

No one is looking for a pat in the back. People need to work together. Imagine how strong the message will be if all parties are calling for the same thing. Could make all the difference.

• Advertisement

No one is looking for a pat in the back. People need to work together. Imagine how strong the message will be if all parties are calling for the same thing. Could make all the difference.

'Working together' includes being able to take on board criticism.
    And being able to accept that you have gotten some things wrong.

'Working together' includes being able to take on board criticism.
    And being able to accept that you have gotten some things wrong.

Constructive criticism should be welcomed as long as there is positive support for correct actions as well. Not forthcoming at the moment.
    From the way people are going on here, anything good is as a result of the experts and anything bad should be laid at FG’s door. It really is very childish behaviour

Constructive criticism should be welcomed as long as there is positive support for correct actions as well. Not forthcoming at the moment.
    From the way people are going on here, anything good is as a result of the experts and anything bad should be laid at FG’s door. It really is very childish behaviour

Thats the thing though. Any government here would be implementing the expert opinion. It isnt FG inspired psrticularly.

Thats the thing though. Any government here would be implementing the expert opinion. It isnt FG inspired psrticularly.

So why is it not happening in the UK?

Different 'experts' - different advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    I was thinking that you and a few others around here that spend your life crying and whinging and moaning about the government should organise a large protest and cram into a small place and hug each other in protest against the government.

Jesus H Christ Blanch, there's scraping the bottom of the barrel and there's that above scutter.

In the middle of the witching hour, so we'll assume it was the devil's buttermilk talking, but seriously lad. You might want to consider deleting that. That's a new low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Is nobody going to notice, that FG have been in power for 8 years or so, and in that time have done nothing for ordinary people.

They have..

Built no homes
    Have added no hospital beds, but did cut some.
    Have spent nearly 3 billion on a childrens hospital that is smaller than the one it will replace
    Spent nearly 1 billion on water meters that will never get used.
    Have given all the high value properties owned a NAMA to vulture funds, so they rent them back to us at 1.300 per month per one bed flat.

And now it's the end of the world, so only now do they get their finger out !!

Different 'experts' - different advise.

The both have access to the WHO advice. Its then governments who implement strategy. Ireland seem to be doing better than most.

satguy wrote: »
    Is nobody going to notice, that FG have been in power for 8 years or so, and in that time have done nothing for ordinary people.

They have..

Built no homes
    Have added no hospital beds, but did cut some.
    Have spent nearly 3 billion on a childrens hospital that is smaller than the one it will replace
    Spent nearly 1 billion on water meters that will never get used.
    Have given all the high value properties owned a NAMA to vulture funds, so they rent them back to us at 1.300 per month per one bed flat.

And now it's the end of the world, so only now do they get their finger out !!

This is the kind of bitching and moaning that I am talking about. It serves zero purpose in our present situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is the kind of bitching and moaning that I am talking about. It serves zero purpose in our present situation.

Is this the latest? Use the covid situation to shut down criticism of FG?

Yurt! wrote: »

Not shutting anything down. The paranoia on here is amazing. FG are trying to get this situation under control. They are following the best advice available. The experts have said it is being handled very well.
    Of course there will still be those that butch and moan. It would be naive to expect any different. I’m just pointing out that still going on about the likes of water meters won’t do anything to help the grave situation we are now in.

The both have access to the WHO advice. Its then governments who implement strategy. Ireland seem to be doing better than most.

We didn't appoint medical experts just for Covid. They have been in position before it.

The UK medical 'experts' have decided to ignore WHO best practice and are more or less outliers as a result.

We didn't appoint medical experts just for Covid. They have been in position before it.

The UK medical 'experts' have decided to ignore WHO best practice and are more or less outliers as a result.

Exactly

Exactly

Exactly, what?

Exactly, what?

I agree with your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yurt! wrote: »

No but you’d imagine under the circumstances you lot could give it a rest for a day or two. But as I keeping saying thank god SF are not in power now- that is the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

road_high wrote: »
    No but you’d imagine under the circumstances you lot could give it a rest for a day or two. But as I keeping saying thank god SF are not in power now- that is the main thing

Right, you and the other FG cultists in this thread are totally not using this as a political football yourself. Congratulations, you win the Hypocrisy Gold Cup.

Outstanding.

SF have their part to play as well. Just like all the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Because the UK government is "fed up" with experts and isn't concerned with the welfare of the citizenry.

The first party political point-scoring I've seen since this crisis really got going is the praised heaped on FG for...er...doing what they're supposed to. How about if everybody gives it a rest?

storker wrote: »
    Because the UK government is "fed up" with experts and isn't concerned with the welfare of the citizenry.

Or do they honestly believe they are doing the right thing? Shutting down an economy will have devastating effects for people medium to long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Can I just point out that this thread pre dates coronavirus, so criticism of FG is still valid, and even more so now.

Because now we see that they actually can do stuff, but just couldn't be bothered helping when things were normal.
    People were found dead from living on the streets, and FG never helped.

Shame on them,, we will remember this at next GE.

Or do they honestly believe they are doing the right thing? Shutting down an economy will have devastating effects for people medium to long term.

So would millions of cases of Covid-19 infection.

storker wrote: »
    So would millions of cases of Covid-19 infection.

Yes, which will be more damaging is still largely unknown. We are all still learning here.

• Advertisement

Yes, which will be more damaging is still largely unknown. We are all still learning here.

It's pretty certain which would involve more deaths. Or is that acceptable collateral damage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement