Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

blanch152 wrote: »
    About time someone called them out for their behaviour.

Brendan is never afraid to dish out a nice wholesome bowl of truth stew. Like yourself, Blanch,

I was down at my local golf club yesterday evening, and much of the talk was about how the negativity and petty point scoring from the opposition was starting to bore people already. In fairness, this golf club wasn't Grange Castle or Silloge, so there wouldn't be many SF types in the membership.

I know SF have upwards of 200 employees, so you'd imagine they should get a few of them to do something about improving the narrative their supporters spout on social media sites. Starting to irk Mike and Mary Middleclass. All good for FG of course....

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I said it before and I'll say it again, the re-emergence of Leo's disdain and arrogance will singlehandedly wipe out FG's lead in the polls.

It's so easy to bait him into revealing his narcissistic traits.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the re-emergence of Leo's disdain and arrogance will singlehandedly wipe out FG's lead in the polls.

People really like him, dude. You don't, but you weren't ever going to like any FG leader, were you.

Your opinion on FG is like asking an Eskimo about the state of the Sahara desert. Entitled to have an opinion, but no one is going to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

But as recent events have shown, the other parties have shown that they are more than a match for him in arrogance levels (see the giant hole SF dug for themselves at the funeral with their arrogance in what should have been a relatively minor incident, or FF fighting in public for ministerial positions).

So he may be arrogant, but that is available in abundance in the Dail.

But you also have to factor in the completely clueless policies of others which were exposed recently (Apple tax, pension age).

christy c wrote: »
    But as recent events have shown, the other parties have shown that they are more than a match for him in arrogance levels (see the giant hole SF dug for themselves at the funeral with their arrogance in what should have been a relatively minor incident, or FF fighting in public for ministerial positions).

So he may be arrogant, but that is available in abundance in the Dail.

But you also have to factor in the completely clueless policies of others which were exposed recently (Apple tax, pension age).

Why is it, when Leo or the mighty FG get criticised, you guys want to talk about others?

The others have their own threads.

It is also quite within the competence of the public to hold the opinion that arrogance is a problem with ALL parties but that one party has a particuarly nasty figurehead for it.

I think Leo was the figurehead instrumental in the public turning against that party in the last vote that counted. And it is my opinion that he will do it again.
    I don't believe any of the other parties have a problem quite like Leo.

• Advertisement

Why is it, when Leo or the mighty FG get criticised, you guys want to talk about others?

It is also quite within the competence of the public to hold the opinion that arrogance is a problem with ALL parties but that one party has a particuarly nasty figurehead for it.

I think Leo was the figurehead instrumental in the public turning against that party in the last vote that counted. And it is my opinion that he will do it again.

Who's you guys? Is this your rubbish again of trying to shoehorn people in to a category so their opinion can be dismissed? I raised other parties as it is a problem in most parties, you thinking Leo is the worst is your opinion, but I'm sure you could find others that disagree.

There was an opinion poll, that the main issues at the election issues were health and housing. You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not sure it holds much water.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the point being made that Leo's comments in the Dail ring true (if a little over-the-top) but as arrogance goes, they get left in the ha'penny place by the trips to fake paramilitary funerals.

I think the point being made that Leo's comments in the Dail ring true

...if you also suffer from the arrogance to think your view is the primary or important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Sorry this is just bull****. Leo is not arrogant. This is just Trump-like mud flinging in the hope that a vague allegation will stick in the absence of any real criticism. If you have something bad to say about Leo please say it but try to rise above this kind of drivel - or whether or not he had a beer on the Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

...if you also suffer from the arrogance to think your view is the primary or important one.

Yes and it seems that the Opposition think theirs is the most important and try to shout everyone else down.
    Must have been a shock to the boys when the new Leass ceann comhairle Didn't allow them to keep spouting their ****e.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Sorry this is just bull****. Leo is not arrogant. This is just Trump-like mud flinging in the hope that a vague allegation will stick in the absence of any real criticism. If you have something bad to say about Leo please say it but try to rise above this kind of drivel - or whether or not he had a beer on the Park

Leo is a narcissist who has turned the electorate against his party (see last actual election) and in my opinion (stated above) will do so again.

That is the criticism and a 'bad thing'. I am saying it 'again'.

You don't agree...that's fine but doesn't mean anything but that is YOUR opinion.

Indeed.

'Indeed' what?

You too want to talk about others to deflect yet again?

BTW, I listened and watched some of the Dáil proceedings last night and there was as many FGers and FFers foaming at the mouth and ranting while others were trying to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Indeed.

Someone mentioning leo and FG in an FG thread?

What next, someone posting a link to a half price voucher in Bargain Alerts?

World's gone mad Blanch.
    Truthvader wrote: »

Michaél Martin has made the claim leo was arrogant on a number of occasions, only a matter of weeks ago.

So Leo's superior has flirted with Trump-like mud flinging, going by the bar you have set. FG undoubtedly lost the last election because of arrogance, (see the tans commemoration and how they handled the Maria Bailey controversy)

It isn't (the arrogance trait within FG) unique to Leo though to be fair, they're riddled with arrogance.

I agree with Francie on this one, leo was at the helm when FG suffered it's second ever greatest seat loss (during an economic boom apparently) on his first election as Taoiseach. His arrogance, if not dialled down some more will see them slip further in opinion polls.

Just because you say he's not arrogant, doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

'Indeed' what?

You too want to talk about others to deflect yet again?

I think the post was pretty clear and succinct. What was it you said?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Michaél Martin has made the claim leo was arrogant on a number of occasions, only a matter of weeks ago.

So Leo's superior has flirted with Trump-like mud flinging, going by the bar you have set. FG undoubtedly lost the last election because of arrogance, (see the tans commemoration and how they handled the Maria Bailey controversy)

It isn't (the arrogance trait within FG) unique to Leo though to be fair, they're riddled with arrogance.

I agree with Francie on this one, leo was at the helm when FG suffered it's second ever greatest seat loss (during an economic boom apparently) on his first election as Taoiseach. His arrogance, if not dialled down some more will see them slip further in opinion polls.

Just because you say he's not arrogant, doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

Just because he sticks in your craw, doesn't make him arrogant, I'm afraid.

Opinions differ, a state of arrogance is not a hypothesis suitable for factual verification. Neither is arrogance a universally bad character trait. Maybe Leo just appears arrogant to you because of an inferiority complex.

I think the post was pretty clear and succinct. What was it you said?

You cannot see it can you?

Somebody comes on a FG thread to make a criticism of FG (it is allowed you know) and instantly, the usual few come out to talk about other parties.

This yearly debate about speaking rights follows the usual angry format but of course the principal attention grabber had to turn it into the Leo show, ignoring the very evident fact that his own members were hurling abuse and ranting just as good as the rest of them.

My point is that that arrogance that he and his party are 'above' this behaviour will back fire on him 'again' as it did in the last real election campaign. Discuss.

If you want to discuss another party, find the relevant thread.

Just because he sticks in your craw, doesn't make him arrogant, I'm afraid.

Opinions differ, a state of arrogance is not a hypothesis suitable for factual verification. Neither is arrogance a universally bad character trait. Maybe Leo just appears arrogant to you because of an inferiority complex.

Yeah, you got me there, I've an inferiority complex to leo. Be still my beating heart. :D

The point, which you missed, no doubt at all on purpose, is that it's not just my opinion that leo Varadkar and indeed fg are viewed as having an air of arrogance about them, it's an opinion shared by many people, including the electorate and many of his colleagues within the government he is a member of.

That's not a reputation they will shake off easily, especially not when you read comments such as yours - although in saying that if I remember correctly, you are a green.

Stalinist. Genuine lol. Top class as usual, dude.

• Advertisement

FG undoubtedly lost the last election because of arrogance

There was an opinion poll at the time which I referenced earlier, which said health and housing were the two biggest issues (dont have a link to hand but I'm sure someone here will remember it). How are you so sure it was was arrogance?

There was an opinion poll at the time which I referenced earlier, which said health and housing were the two biggest issues (dont have a link to hand but I'm sure someone here will remember it). How are you so sure it was was arrogance?

That's mad to think it was health/housing considering a lot of FG stalwarts posting on these threads were pretty adamant that neither of the above were issues at all.

Forever homes, trampolines in gardens and people clogging up waiting rooms with headcolds and flus, or something like that wasn't it?

Somebody comes on a FG thread to make a criticism of FG (it is allowed you know) and instantly, the usual few come out to talk about other parties.

You mentioned that you expect FG to fall in the polls, for that to happen someone else needs to gain. So in this case it is entirely relevant to mention other parties, especially when the other parties are busy making clowns of themselves.

That's mad to think it was health/housing considering a lot of FG stalwarts posting on these threads were pretty adamant that neither of the above were issues at all.

Forever homes, trampolines in gardens and people clogging up waiting rooms with headcolds and flus, or something like that wasn't it?

I don't understand, how are you so sure it was arrogance?

He ‘seen it’ on Twitter.

He ‘seen it’ on Twitter.

Not on Twitter lads, seen it unfold in front of my own eyes.

The u-Turn pulled on both the Black and Tans and Maria Bailey controversies was a sight to behold. :D

Both on the back of fairly evident public opinion.

Bailey alone was going to be swept under the carpet, and Leo was forced to do something by the local DL FG branch, IE he was ok with Bailey pulling the stroke until he was forced to on the back of public resentment.

The same goes with Charlie and Leo going to introduce a state commemoration for the black and tans.

They performed a quicker climb down over that one, than a scaffolder in a lightning storm, due to the very public backlash on it.

Lest we forget, that plan is only "deferred" by the way. There's that arrogance again. :D

Not on Twitter lads, seen it unfold in front of my own eyes.

The u-Turn pulled on both the Black and Tans and Maria Bailey controversies was a sight to behold. :D

Both on the back of fairly evident public opinion.

Bailey alone was going to be swept under the carpet, and Leo was forced to do something by the local DL FG branch, IE he was ok with Bailey pulling the stroke until he was forced to on the back of public resentment.

The same goes with Charlie and Leo going to introduce a state commemoration for the black and tans.

They performed a better climb down over that one, than a scaffolder in a lightning storm, due to the public backlash.

Lest we forget, that plan is only "deferred" by the way. There's that arrogance again. :D

Same as Francie, you're entitled to your opinion. But not sure it holds much water, I'd put a bit more faith in the opinion poll.

You cannot see it can you?

This yearly debate about speaking rights follows the usual angry format but of course the principal attention grabber had to turn it into the Leo show, ignoring the very evident fact that his own members were hurling abuse and ranting just as good as the rest of them.

My point is that that arrogance that he and his party are 'above' this behaviour will back fire on him 'again' as it did in the last real election campaign. Discuss.

If you want to discuss another party, find the relevant thread.

Again, I couldn't respond to your post any better than this:

Yeah, you got me there, I've an inferiority complex to leo. Be still my beating heart. :D

The point, which you missed, no doubt at all on purpose, is that it's not just my opinion that leo Varadkar and indeed fg are viewed as having an air of arrogance about them, it's an opinion shared by many people, including the electorate and many of his colleagues within the government he is a member of.

That's not a reputation they will shake off easily, especially not when you read comments such as yours - although in saying that if I remember correctly, you are a green.

As I said already, the arrogance stakes were upped recently by the paramilitary funeral for the republican hero during lockdown. A lot of people's eyes were opened by that. In comparison, Leo doesn't look arrogant at all.

Furthermore, if you keep trying to fight the last election in the next one, you and your friends will lose.

• Advertisement

Same as Francie, you're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is shored up by many commentators on this site, various political/current affairs programmes on television and radio, and of course other social media platforms.

I genuinely believe it would be a coin toss as to which appeared to have people's backs up the most at the time, a Taoiseach seemingly willing to turn a blind eye to someone making a fairly dodgy insurance claim (especially considering FGs SW fraud campaign) or the FG govt wanting to introduce a state commemoration for the Black and Tans, and then proclaim it was the electorate who were unreasonable when they voiced their own objections to such.

Both events, resulted in spectacular U-turns and climb downs, and both cost them a lot of votes.
    But not sure it holds much water, I'd put a bit more faith in the opinion poll.

The fact these same opinion polls got roundly dismissed by FG shills on this site
    is only a rod for your own back I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement