Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I just watched a Primetime segment on the tourism industry and the lack of clarity for them and lack of action. That's exactly what I foreseen, TD's like yer man O'Donovan (get rid, he will lose you votes by the parish) bull****ting will just annoy and exasperate.

What clarity were they after?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What clarity were they after?

It will be on the player presently no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I just watched a Primetime segment on the tourism industry and the lack of clarity for them and lack of action. That's exactly what I foreseen, TD's like yer man O'Donovan (get rid, he will lose you votes by the parish) bull****ting will just annoy and exasperate.

I thought the reopening plan was laid out pretty clearly.
    Now of course everyone wants, to try to jump the gun.
    They may well be right. But I think it would be foolish to risk toom much too soon. A second wave might not happen, but if it did it would be disastrous.
    Any chance of the lotto numbers for the weekend with your amazing foresight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

:):)

10 mt benches...who'd have thought? :):)

No, one 2 metre bench will do. As you can see the person furthest away is sitting on a wall.
    But don't let reality get in your way of keeping the government in check.:)

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    Cell phone deal, siteserv deal, water metering deal, broadband deal, hospital beds deal. I'm likely missing a few.
    FG think the yellow pages is a Post-It with Dinny's number on it.

To be honest, every week it comes down to the same ol $hite repeated again and again.
    It is reaching Alex Jones level of Pizzagate at this stage.

I am sure, DoB will be mentioned again in a few days time, when there can be nothing else said about FG. Everyone needs a boogyman.

Bowie wrote: »
    Either FG are awful at brokering deals on behalf of the tax payer or FG are engaged in crony behaviour...and awful at brokering deals on behalf of the tax payer.
    No issues with Mr. O'Brien. Likely FG would buy the Brooklyn bridge off him at a loss to the tax payer. Dude ;)

FG dont broker deals, the Civil Service does.
    These comments alone show us all your level of ignorance and lack of basic knowledge when it comes to this 'debate'.

Wow that was your opinion from the beginning!!

Well how coincidental that is after people are suddenly questioning the exit strategy been too slow in the last week or so.

But of course you seen this from day one.

Course you did:)

The level of bull****ting I am seeing from so-called online keyboard experts and would be Nostradamus is quite a sight to behold. None more so than from people in this thread. It's a pity they didn't advise their SF cousins in the North, who are having worse outcomes than here in the Republic.

Sure, everyone is an epidemiologist now, aren't they?

In fairness lads, the it's worse there than here is, wearing thin.
    I use it myself occasionally too I know, but the north is a different ball game tbf.
    Having control of a budget whereby it's given to you and make what you will of it and being in charge of how it is generated is a different ball game.
    To look at it just from a Republic point of view, without looking north, people aren't happy with how our side of the border is being governed.
    Voters are looking at FG, FF, in decades seeming to be letting public services getting worse.
    Rural Ireland is virtually all a commuter belt for the big cities, hospitals closed, transport poor, housing development near non existent.
    Major county towns are in crisis with closed businesses and shops everywhere.
    They are looking for help, it hasn't been coming so far from FG over the last 10 years, further eroded year on year it seems.
    The crash was FF, the aftermath was FG and Labour, who were never strong rurally anyway.
    Labour fcuked themselves up big time with the water charges debacle, FG too really, such a loss of support for both parties for so little that would have been gained anyway.
    There is in rural Ireland and even Urban Ireland now one alternative, and that's SF.
    Their message, be it credible or not, is being grasped by fed up voters.
    FG, FF et al are grasping at last chance straws, they better make use of their next term, if they even agree on a Govt formation, SF are but a short distance away if they fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Didn't see it myself, but according to the twitteratti crowd John McGuiness was creating quite the storm last night - implying FG are not (despite what they want us to believe) at all serious about govt formation talks, and (again this is second hand information) are in actual fact acting the dick.

McGuiness is calling for a NGU.

I get the feeling the recent opinion polls might be creating a bit of internal friction from within FF - I guess Michaél has a squeaky bum around about now, and is probably looking over his shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

My opinion from the beginning was that handling the virus was the easy bit. Anyone of the parties would have done it more or less the same and gotten the same bounce.
    I think the difficult bit was always going to be managing our way out of it and that is when the old FG will re-emerge and they'll fall back. 59 seats is wildly optimistic in September.
    Wow that was your opinion from the beginning!!

Well how coincidental that is after people are suddenly questioning the exit strategy been too slow in the last week or so.

But of course you seen this from day one.

Course you did:)

I remember Francie criticising from day one. In fact, he was consistent in calling for a stricter lockdown and even more stringent measures.

Later he was strident about the need to test hospital staff, not enough being done, then later again it was the nursing home staff, somehow not realising that there was a worldwide shortage of testing.

The same thing could be said for many posters on here who have oscillated all over the place, mainly grasping for a way to criticise the government.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I remember Francie criticising from day one. In fact, he was consistent in calling for a stricter lockdown and even more stringent measures.

Later he was strident about the need to test hospital staff, not enough being done, then later again it was the nursing home staff, somehow not realising that there was a worldwide shortage of testing.

The same thing could be said for many posters on here who have oscillated all over the place, mainly grasping for a way to criticise the government.

And people shouldn't criticise the Govt should they?
    Their response to Covid was very good.

Their actions elsewhere still leave a lot to be desired.

They're still the Govt that were effectively voted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And people shouldn't criticise the Govt should they?
    Their response to Covid was very good.

Their actions elsewhere still leave a lot to be desired.

They're still the Govt that were effectively voted out.

Were they..... who was voted in?

In fairness lads, the it's worse there than here is, wearing thin.

Wh? Its a very very valid comparison.

If a so-called all-island party is saying two very different things on the same island, then one is right to point out the nonsense.
    Having control of a budget whereby it's given to you and make what you will of it and being in charge of how it is generated is a different ball game.

One does realise that the money given to the North is very generous, right? They are the most subvented area in the UK, yet they still make a bags of it.
    How can you trust the same people when there will be even less money in the kitty if their utopian dream of a UI comes to fruition?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself, but according to the twitteratti crowd John McGuiness was creating quite the storm last night - implying FG are not (despite what they want us to believe) at all serious about govt formation talks, and (again this is second hand information) are in actual fact acting the dick.

I get the feeling the recent opinion polls might be creating a bit of internal friction from within FF - I guess Michaél has a squeaky bum around about now, and is probably looking over his shoulder.

McGuinness has always been contrarian when it comes to anything FF do with FG. He is still harking back to the days of Bertie and Haughey when FF used to get 70+ seats in every election and ruled the sway. Those days are gone and guys like McGuinness dont know it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, B, always in hindsight, always looking for the angle to try and land a punch on the Govt.

Could one imagine the Shinners and Bullhorn Brigade being in charge handling this.

:o

markodaly wrote: »
    McGuinness has always been contrarian when it comes to anything FF do with FG. He is still harking back to the days of Bertie and Haughey when FF used to get 70+ seats in every election and ruled the sway. Those days are gone and guys like McGuinness dont know it yet.

True too for the power swapping party's for the last century, who now cannot govern without each other nevermind without a wee mudwing party to prop them up.

Will Michaél still be FF leader when the govt formation talks reach their conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yes, B, always in hindsight, always looking for the angle to try and land a punch on the Govt.

Could one imagine the Shinners and Bullhorn Brigade being in charge handling this.

:o

Having to ring Ted Howell and the lads up in West Belfast for advice on what to say next.

No thanks, dude.

True too for the power swapping party's for the last century, who now cannot govern without each other nevermind without a wee mudwing party to prop them up.

Will Michaél still be FF leader when the govt formation talks reach their conclusion?

Ah, I give an inch, you take a mile.

To state that FF's days are done being the presumptive party of power, it does not mean that a) FF are done or that b) FG are done.

Indeed, this may be good for FG in the long term, as there are hints that a European ideological divide is now being created. SF is the main party of the left (for now, wait until they actually get into power and we will see their vote collapse) and FG being the main party of the right, and I use the term right loosely as FG are very very centrist.

Ah, I give an inch, you take a mile.

To state that FF's days are done being the presumptive party of power, it does not mean that a) FF are done or that b) FG are done.

Indeed, this may be good for FG in the long term, as there are hints that a European ideological divide is now being created. SF is the main party of the left (for now, wait until they actually get into power and we will see their vote collapse) and FG being the main party of the right, and I use the term right loosely as FG are very very centrist.

I never said either were done mark, I said the days of the power swapping between them looks to have ended. There's a 3rd party to contend with now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McGuinness is a busted flush at this stage, he has made waves many times, but never stepped on to the field of play. A hurler from the ditch, able to criticise but not do.

The role of PAC chair suits that type of personality, in fact the whole committee suits the perennial whinger.

I praised the government for what they got right and made no bones about it.

'Strident about testing hospital staff' ???

Did I even mention 'hospital staff'.

I make no bones about criticising the mistakes and familiar lapses of this government and I most certainly said handling the crisis was the easy bit and managing the way out would be the difficult bit.

Two posts to back that up...(back up that is sadly missing from your vitriolic little rant)

First one praising the government from 2 months ago:

So fair play to the government here on what they have done well so far but also fair play to those brave enough to stand up and be counted too.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112860255&postcount=1924

And from a month ago, saying that the easy bit was managing the crisis etc
    They fool themselves that enough Irish people will not be able to separate performance during a crisis from performance in normal government.

And also codding themselves that the hard bit of this crisis is to come...this in terms of governing is the easy bit.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113081568&postcount=2424

So my familiar answer to you blanch is stop taking every opportunity you can to lie about other posters, it demeans everything you have to say.

I never said either were done mark, I said the days of the power swapping between them looks to have ended. There's a 3rd party to contend with now.

Perhaps for now, but as I said, history is not kind to left-wing parties in Ireland.
    SF in government will ruin them and their easy populist answers to all the complex problems we have will be for naught.

Perhaps for now, but as I said, history is not kind to left-wing parties in Ireland.
    SF in government will ruin them and their easy populist answers to all the complex problems we have will be for naught.

Have you seen what way the youth vote? SF will be the main party soon, they are the only party appealing to the young voter.

What anyone under 25 sees of FG/FF, is low **** paid jobs, crazy prizes to pay to get through college, rents so high can't save for a mortgage (that's if your lucky enough to find a rental), Homelessness, Banks getting away with robbing the nation.

Until that changes get ready for SF in power

Have you seen what way the youth vote? SF will be the main party soon, they are the only party appealing to the young voter.

Here is some earth-shattering news for you. Young people grow old....
    Yes, it is astonishing isnt it. Who knew? :pac:

Until that changes get ready for SF in power

Yes, and we have seen a utopia in the North are SF are in power.

SF in power will be just another disappointment of the youth vote, where they will realise again, that nice rhetoric does not translate into actual change or solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I like to see people in denial...but most of all I love to see FG and FF people in denial and especially when they have to fantasise because they cannot deny the facts.

And while in Munster check out the difference in the number of military engagements there during the War of Independence and what went on in Ulster. Then you will realise why the South got their freedom

Edgware wrote: »
    And while in Munster check out the difference in the number of military engagements there during the War of Independence and what went on in Ulster. Then you will realise why the South got their freedom

Fairly typical comment from the high moral grounders. 'You are wrong to use violence, but when it suits us we will try and taunt you that you didn't use enough violence, actually we will just try and taunt you any which way we can'. :)

Try harder Edg.

Unless we are about to embark on a national sterilisation program, those young people who grow old will be replaced by more young people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah yes, under 25s. The notoriously staunch voters who always turn out.

Young people throughout the centuries have had different political views from older people. A certain percentage will change their views, some will keep them and undoubtedly some will even go even further in a certain direction. Taking what the youth are voting for (or more often not voting for) and claiming it to be an inevitable future is not a very wise prognostic move.

• Advertisement

Yes, and we have seen a utopia in the North are SF are in power.

SF in power will be just another disappointment of the youth vote, where they will realise again, that nice rhetoric does not translate into actual change or solutions.

The trends show that when they get older they are staying with SF.

The games over, it's just a matter of time

Govt talks failed all because they refused to speak to SF. That's what the people will see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement