Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I’m watching the news right now: FG are giving SF the ‘space and the time’ to deliver on the promise that Mary loo made after the election on the Sunday.

AKA giving the more ornery FG and FF TDs the 'space and time' to realise a deal between the two parties is the only alternative to another election in which whichever of the two parties is blamed for causing it would be decimated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭GSF

How long can an acting government continue for under the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

AKA giving the more ornery FG and FF TDs the 'space and time' to realise a deal between the two parties is the only alternative to another election in which whichever of the two parties is blamed for causing it would be decimated...

FG would get a similar vote if there was another election. They have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I’m watching the news right now: FG are giving SF the ‘space and the time’ to deliver on the promise that Mary loo made after the election on the Sunday.

Time for SF to step up.

Clearly they haven't informed the party faithful that they are entering talks. :rolleyes:

*They are only 'exploratory' talks mind you. Best not to cave in completely, - keep the faithful on board! :)

Clearly they haven't informed the party faithful that they are entering talks. :rolleyes:

*They are only 'exploratory' talks mind you. Best not to cave in completely, - keep the faithful on board! :)

Because they shouldn’t assess all their options. :rolleyes:

You must be getting dizzy at this stage ;)

• Advertisement

Because they shouldn’t assess all their options. :rolleyes:

You must be getting dizzy at this stage ;)

:):)

Brilliant! Spin and spin some more.

:):)

Brilliant! Spin and spin some more.

Exactly, you must be getting dizzy ;)

Exactly, you must be getting dizzy ;)

Why?

I knew Leo and FG were lying through their gritted teeth from the get go.

'Happy to go into opposition', my barney! :)

Desperately treading water to see what harbour they were going to swim for.

They were never ever going to let it go to another election. They will cling to the other drowning power swap partner and hope they go under first.

Why?

They were never ever going to let it go to another election. They will cling to the other drowning power swap partner and hope they go under first.

Of course they are happy to go into opposition. They have nothing to lose. Mary Loo said the electorate voted for change. FG respect that. Time for SF to step up.

Of course they are happy to go into opposition. They have nothing to lose. Mary Loo said the electorate voted for change. FG respect that. Time for SF to step up.

And why are they going into talks? For the craic?

You honestly can't think you are codding people here? And retain any integrity.

• Advertisement

Why?

For a while they were half-heartedly trying to play hardball with FF, letting them think they were willing to pull the trigger, but given the similarity of the two parties' positions, FF were never going to buy that..

For a while they were half-heartedly trying to play hardball with FF, letting them think they were willing to pull the trigger, but given the similarity of the two parties' positions, FF were never going to buy that..

Yes. They took the huff and in that state of high dudgeon made a right hames of it.

They just look silly now and have set themselves up for parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Yes. They took the huff and in that state of high dudgeon made a right hames of it.

They just look silly now and have set themselves up for parody.

They have set themselves up to be a part of government for the next 4 years and can be part of the change that they were already bringing to the Country. They will get the credit for next years house built numbers and the other projects already implemented. If the Grand Coalition goes ahead it will be very stable and save the Country from the disaster that Sinn Fein would have brought down on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »
    Varadkar officially resigned now as taoiseach and will sit as caretaker. The irony being he's been nothing but a caretaker the last few years.
    Hopefully he can resume his correspondence with Kylie Minogue now that he's so much time on his hands.
    Careful now
    Keep scraping the bottom of that irrational vradakar hate barrel and it,worn down,leaking,damaged holding no more hate,will default to becoming a love barrel

And why are they going into talks? For the craic?

You honestly can't think you are codding people here? And retain any integrity.

To have all the facts. Surely you can understand that. This isn’t rocket science...

JamesM wrote: »
    They have set themselves up to be a part of government for the next 4 years and can be part of the change that they were already bringing to the Country. They will get the credit for next years house built numbers and the other projects already implemented. If the Grand Coalition goes ahead it will be very stable and save the Country from the disaster that Sinn Fein would have brought down on us.

That’s what the shinners are really afraid of. Yet there is no way in hell they will come down off that ditch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FG would get a similar vote if there was another election. They have nothing to lose.

they would win more seats obviously for running more candidates and I would expect another bit of a surge, mainly because of the predicament we are in , FF or FG refusing to do business with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That’s what the shinners are really afraid of. Yet there is no way in hell they will come down off that ditch :)

Another acolyte of the blue shirted brethren brought in to tell the general public they are wrong ;)

Bowie wrote: »
    Another acolyte of the blue shirted brethren brought in to tell the general public they are wrong ;)

Try again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The protest vote isnt wrong
    What would be wrong would be if a majority of elected representatives from other than vote left transfer left, didnt adequately address the issues behind the protest vote
    Obviously if they do,the losers usually are the recipients of that protest vote

That's why it is actually imperative for Sinn Féin to get into government or if the rest of the Dáil does learn a lesson,they'll be back to core vote territory in 2025

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What would be wrong would be if a majority of elected representatives didnt adequately address the issues behind the protest vote

That's why it is actually imperative for Sinn Féin to get into government or if the rest of the Dáil does learn a lesson,they'll be back to core vote territory in 2025

i cant see FFG changing anything substantial. SF wants to priorities housing? great, they need to further up supply and address the affordability issue then. Look at how long its going to take to get a government formed. The decisions here and possible planning changes that need to be made again, take time. This would need to be done NOW so that people in 2/3 years, could start to see the change, they wont be, probably by anyone. I'd like to be proved wrong. dont think I will be though...

I voted SF after years of FG, BUT all of them on the councils, including SF, have done nothing but attempt to block development and reduce the scale of it! All of the parties are culpable for this! There is the first bit of hyposcrisy that SF can be accussed of...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    i cant see FFG changing anything substantial. SF wants to priorities housing? great, they need to further up supply and address the affordability issue then. Look at how long its going to take to get a government formed. The decisions here and possible planning changes that need to be made again, take time. This would need to be done NOW so that people in 2/3 years, could start to see the change, they wont be, probably by anyone. I'd like to be proved wrong. dont think I will be though...

You’re not wrong. SF have no intention of going into government. They want to be in opposition and bolster their position. They are looking at the long game. United ireland.

Try again...

It was a statement.
    You’re not wrong. SF have no intention of going into government. They want to be in opposition and bolster their position. They are looking at the long game. United ireland.

Fond of the ditch talk, yet FG 'relish' the idea of being in it, but that's not tactical? :)
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    What would be wrong would be if a majority of elected representatives from other than vote left transfer left, didnt adequately address the issues behind the protest vote

Every vote not for the sitting party can be called a protest vote.
    Why didn't they all go Labour or PBP? They chose Sinn Fein in the most part. You lads really need respect the democratic will of the people.

I hope some shower gets in to rebuild the society for the people living in it. That's not FG.

To keep the faithful on board the power swap train, they have to be sold this ^^^ old mantra.

Every train comes to the end of the line though and FG/FF are about to head into the final stop before merger and the end of one of them. From swapping power between them with 85% of the vote, from single party dominance to coalition with other power hungry smaller parties, to C&S between each other and now into Coalition with each other. Next stop: Merger.

To keep the faithful on board the power swap train, they have to be sold this ^^^ old mantra.

Every train comes to the end of the line though and FG/FF are about to head into the final stop before merger and the end of one of them. From swapping power between them with 85% of the vote, from single party dominance to coalition with other power hungry smaller parties, to C&S between each other and now into Coalition with each other. Next stop: Merger.

Francie, I cant ever see them merging. Creates so many problems. They would lose seats, a lot of the older generation would be disgusted. "im not voting for that crowd" I mean they cant even go into coalition and you think a merger is on the cards, not a chance in hell. SF merging with FF or FG is as likely

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Francie, I cant ever see them merging.

The rate at which their vote share is falling it's either merge or continue the decline.
    They have offered nothing of any significant difference for a long time now.

I don't think they'll merge. They'd lose the die hards. They'll merge in everything but name likely becoming more and more reliant on each other to remain relevant.

I don't think they'll merge. They'd lose the die hards. They'll merge in everything but name likely becoming more and more reliant on each other to remain relevant.

Like in Germany the CDU and CSU are officially separate parties but seem to be in a permanent alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was a statement.

Fond of the ditch talk, yet FG 'relish' the idea of being in it, but that's not tactical? :)

Every vote not for the sitting party can be called a protest vote.
    Why didn't they all go Labour or PBP? They chose Sinn Fein in the most part. You lads really need respect the democratic will of the people.

I hope some shower gets in to rebuild the society for the people living in it. That's not FG.

I fully respect the democratic will of the people - 75% of them have rejected Sinn Fein, do you respect that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Like in Germany the CDU and CSU are officially separate parties but seem to be in a permanent alliance.

Yes, I had been wondering if that could be analagous to what might happen to FF/FG. Don't know enough about German politics to say though.
    Even if FF/FG don't swallow down the bitter pill and go into a coaliton government this time, an alliance is probably coming if their combined support contines to drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement